C.T.1290 versus Asuka. Examining the good and bad.

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Re: Is it impossible for Shinji and Asuka to love one another?

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:25 pm

^First a rumor is just a rumor.

Also, another thing we know about Miyamura is that she's an incorrigible optimist, a sucker for happy endings & never stopped hoping for a happy ending for Asuka, invariably being dissapointed all the time, mentioned in both her reacting to the EoE strips & wishing it was happier, as well as her idea of Q being "Well, at least Asuka got to be tough & grownup, finally the day has come where she stands on her own 2 feet ", complete with an affectonate comparision to her at the time 2 year old son.

"Seeing Asuka get a happy ending" might override preference in that regard, that she doesn't thing it's a reality in canonland isn't the same as being a super salty anti-shipper, the cast probably has a more differentiated view than the fandom. A lot of us were horny teens ourselves when we first watched it but they all got to it as adults & would be immersed in the job for weeks etc. (Case in point, one time Ogata got asked the "who should Shinji end up with" question her answer was "Kaji-san, so he gets decently parented for once.")

Also it's just a very popular (I dare say overrated) fanwork that was relevant, why not read it for curiosity?

Must be weird to see pr0n of a role you acted tho especially if you regard them like they were your kid.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:34 pm

View Original PostC.T.1290 wrote:This is rather surprising. Asuka's voice actress, the person who seems to know Asuka real well for having her step into her shoes, saying that she doesn't like Shinji. And yet, she is rumored to have had a Doujinshi about Shinji and Asuka(which may or may not have Asuka be a little out of character).

While it's a doujinshi itself, the manga does a heck of a job laying down the crux of both Shinji and Asuka's issues and the steps taking to overcome them. :)

View Original PostC.T.1290 wrote:How would it be unfair to assume that Asuka doesn't like Shinji and take that as the truth?

Because there are too many contradictive events that happen during the series that counter that assumption.

Yes, Asuka and Shinji both hurt each other deeply in the end, but that doesn't mean that Asuka hated Shinji simply because she's a bitch or that she just fundamentally hates him. She obviously does want Shinji's presence, cause why would she sneak into Shinji's room that one night for comfort from her nightmares about her mother? Or her attempts to flirt with him? They aren't just attempts to bring Shinji down just to mess with Shinji's feelings like some sadistic bully.

The problem with Asuka and Shinji's relationship at it's core is miscommunication, and the ability to even try to communicate with each other. Both are very messed up teens with really bad preconceived notions on how the world works or how to function within it. Even worse with the pressure of the entire world on their shoulders. In the past, they've been hurt deeply, and their afraid of being hurt again, so they've come up with defenses to protect themselves from being hurt again, Asuka projecting outward, and Shinji withdrawing inward. Both want to be loved, but are afraid to be hurt, but to be loved is to accept the possibility of being hurt, cause the reward is sometimes better than the risk.

Unfortunately, both Asuka and Shinji are at equal fault in their failures, both unwilling to make the first step, or unwilling to communicate what they want. So all they've done is push each other away, only hurting themselves without the possibility of love.

THAT is the crux of their problem, a failure to understand or even make the attempt to understand each other, not a fundamental hatred of who they are.
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:40 am

View Original PostC.T.1290 wrote:How would it be unfair to assume that Asuka doesn't like Shinji and take that as the truth?

Because it fails to recognise that like and dislike are in real relationships neither absolute nor mutually exclusive.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Cybermat47
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cybermat47 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:47 am

View Original Postxanderkh wrote:The problem with Asuka and Shinji's relationship at it's core is miscommunication, and the ability to even try to communicate with each other. Both are very messed up teens with really bad preconceived notions on how the world works or how to function within it. Even worse with the pressure of the entire world on their shoulders. In the past, they've been hurt deeply, and their afraid of being hurt again, so they've come up with defenses to protect themselves from being hurt again, Asuka projecting outward, and Shinji withdrawing inward. Both want to be loved, but are afraid to be hurt, but to be loved is to accept the possibility of being hurt, cause the reward is sometimes better than the risk.

Unfortunately, both Asuka and Shinji are at equal fault in their failures, both unwilling to make the first step, or unwilling to communicate what they want. So all they've done is push each other away, only hurting themselves without the possibility of love.

THAT is the crux of their problem, a failure to understand or even make the attempt to understand each other, not a fundamental hatred of who they are.

In that respect, their relationship could be seen to represent Humanity in general.

Think about all the conflicts that have ultimately been caused by people failing to attempt to understand others. The nobility of France didn't attempt to understand the common French people, and the French Revolution started, which then led to the Napoleonic Wars. Hitler didn't attempt to understand Jews, other German minorities, Communists, or Slavs, so the Holocaust started and WWII reached a new level of horror on the Eastern Front. The Chinese government didn't attempt to understand the pro-Democracy demonstrators, so the Tiananmen Square Massacre started. Al Qaeda didn't attempt to understand anyone who even slightly disagreed with them about religion, so the War On Terror started, and people are still being fed to the WOT meatgrinder.

But I'm probably looking into it a bit too deeply.

Neon Genesis Evangelion: come for the kaiju, stay for the depressing revelation that Humans can never get it right.
Reichu wrote:It’s all weird and phallic.

The Cruel
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby The Cruel » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:33 am

What makes people doubt on the releationship between Shinji and Asuka is that it would be out of character for them to love each other.
I carry out things right to the end. No. Matter. What.

Avatar: I declare myself as WILLEs deserved enemy and Asukas and Shinjis punisher

You can (not) hope

„Unfortunately, those other fools and idiots gave you the most worthless feeling. And that feeling is hope. The unicorn alive shitting a magic rainbow is but an illusion.“
-Doom Head, Rob Zombie's 31

„If you were a better person, you wouldn't be here.“
-Loading Screen, Spec Ops: The Line

„Cognitive dissonance is an uncomfortable feeling caused by holding two conflicting ideas simultaneously.“

„It takes a strong man to deny what's in front of him. And if the truth is undeniable, you create your own.“
-Colonel John Konrad, Spec Ops: The Line

„Through the darkness of future past,
the magician longs to see,
one chance out between two worlds.
Fire walk with me!“

-Bob, Twin Peaks

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:46 am

They're so young, and so burdened with deep emotional traumata, it would be out of character for them to (romantically) love anybody!
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:01 am

View Original PostThe Cruel wrote:What makes people doubt on the releationship between Shinji and Asuka is that it would be out of character for them to love each other.

As some one who watched the series back in the 2000's what killed there relationship for me was not the series as I viewed them as kids struggling with mental problems and having difficulty getting there feelings out and I really thought they could get past it what utterly drove the nail in the coffin was End of Evangelion because to me it felt utterly toxic after that and I didn't come back around to the idea of them as a couple again until I read the manga years later.

I think Post End of Evangelion fanfiction like Jimmy's 2nd try brings up a point which is that Shinji and Asuka really need time with out other people in the way so they can work through there feelings after instrumentality and it won't be an over night thing where they kiss and make up they might spend over a year or more just working it out before going down the romantic path and redefine themselves as people and start from scratch.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

The Cruel
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby The Cruel » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:51 am

Reichu wrote:They're so young, and so burdened with deep emotional traumata, it would be out of character for them to (romantically) love anybody!

silvermoonlight wrote:
As some one who watched the series back in the 2000's what killed there relationship for me was not the series as I viewed them as kids struggling with mental problems and having difficulty getting there feelings out and I really thought they could get past it what utterly drove the nail in the coffin was End of Evangelion because to me it felt utterly toxic after that and I didn't come back around to the idea of them as a couple again until I read the manga years later.

I think Post End of Evangelion fanfiction like Jimmy's 2nd try brings up a point which is that Shinji and Asuka really need time with out other people in the way so they can work through there feelings after instrumentality and it won't be an over night thing where they kiss and make up they might spend over a year or more just working it out before going down the romantic path and redefine themselves as people and start from scratch.

It's like the war of the roses between them. They were about to slaughter each other off and still feel guilty about it, knowing that would kill their hopes.
I carry out things right to the end. No. Matter. What.

Avatar: I declare myself as WILLEs deserved enemy and Asukas and Shinjis punisher

You can (not) hope

„Unfortunately, those other fools and idiots gave you the most worthless feeling. And that feeling is hope. The unicorn alive shitting a magic rainbow is but an illusion.“
-Doom Head, Rob Zombie's 31

„If you were a better person, you wouldn't be here.“

„Cognitive dissonance is an uncomfortable feeling caused by holding two conflicting ideas simultaneously.“

„It takes a strong man to deny what's in front of him. And if the truth is undeniable, you create your own.“
-Colonel John Konrad, Spec Ops: The Line

„Through the darkness of future past,
the magician longs to see,
one chance out between two worlds.
Fire walk with me!“

-Bob, Twin Peaks

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:06 pm

Let me add that I've gotten curious over that interview with Miyamura yet all I could find were these two tumblr posts:

http://kawoshin-is-canon.tumblr.com/pos ... having-fun

Video of an event that happened in 1997, Rei and Misato’s VA talking.

Who would be Orihime if Shinji is Hikoboshi?

Megumi Hayashibara: Kaworu

Kotono Mitsuishi: Agree

And who is Rei’s Hikoboshi?

Megumi Hayashibara: (Suggests Gendo)

Me: Jesus Christ woman

——————————————-

After Eva 3.0 I don’t think anyone would say Gendo is Rei’s Hikoboshi…

Also, I wonder what were their faces after seeing this 16 years after.

Megumi Hayashibara, on Shinji, said that if it was Asuka it was gonna be painful and rain everyday*. That’s kind of funny because Yuko Miyamura doesn’t like Shinji neither LAS at all, so I would have loved to hear what she adds up to Hayashibara’s comment.

Is there anything Miyamura likes? I think the only time she seemed happy was about Asuka in Eva 3.0

It would have been really funny to see Megumi Ogata here because she loves everything and I don’t think it’s a secret that she likes Kawoshin so maybe she has something funny to say.

Akira Ishida probably doesn’t care about anything.

I really like voice actors.

http://kawoshin-is-canon.tumblr.com/page/2

Mmm, let me see if I can recall all of them.

Kotono Mitsuishi and Megumi Hayashibara in a music event started to talk about Tanabata regarding characters and when wondering if Asuka could be Shinji’s Orihime, Mitsuishi laughed and said that it was gonna rain everyday.

Miyamura is a person that vows for Asuka’s happiness almost every time she speaks and has made several commentaries about her relationship with other characters. That Shinji should stay away from her because he just makes her have an horrible time, that Asuka needs a Kaworu-like love interest because that would be perfect for her (this is probably the reason why LAK is suddenly popular, and adding the commentary by Tsurumaki about Mari being a Kaworu-like character and her closeness to Asuka then there you have the reason why Mariasu is popular), that Shinji needs to become a more easy-going boy, that he is better of with Kaworu. Recently in a con during a Q&A with the public Tiffany Grant and her were asked if Asuka loves Shinji and Miyamura just flat out said “No” while Grant told the person “Are you stupid?” (probably parodying Asuka I don’t think Grant was trying to be rude). People who went to the con said that a lot of people in the public were enraged while they just sat there like “uuuuummmhh”.

That’s all I can recall, sorry but my Eva scans, bookmarks, saved interviews, etc. are in my dead laptop :U

Now I realize I worded that rude, um.

While presumably there is more material out there, the point still stands that what we're talking about is a voice actor's opinion on their characters. While, sure, they might have plenty of insight into production and how the character came to be through their performances, they ultimately didn't write these characters, so I don't think what they say is anything more than, well, their opinion. Consider how Kaworu's VA really doesn't seem to care about Kawoshin as a pairing either, yet I don't see anyone using that as an argument for or against KaworuXShinji. And about Grant's declaration, well, then we have the EoE commentary made by her colleagues saying Shinji got Asuka pregnant through some sort of metaphysical sex and that she's a fusion of herself, Rei and Misato because of her perceived eye colour. Unfortunately I couldn't seem to find that mention of Grant saying that, but I'm reasonably sure that, like the other two posts, I've found it in, ahem, kawoshin-is-canon.tumblr.com, which also provides some amazing posts like how one of the pages in one of the comic strips in the Eva2 has Shinji being friendly to Kaworu of his own accord and that indicates how they are dating, or how the existence of fanart featuring them in *somewhat* sexualized positions in "official artbooks" featuring multiple different pairings in multiple different individual pages, is also proof of "official support". So, lack of primary source aside in any of the very large databases we have access to, I have a little doubt if at the very least they happen to provide any more detail than just "Miyamura said no".

With all that said, I think it all relates in a more meta fashion towards Eva as a whole: they've failed, yes, but, well, maybe they can try again, like everyone does.

Better isn't really relevant in Eva. None of it is really ideal or healthy. It would be ideal to go to therapy, not fight in an apocalyptic war and gain more traumas. But that's not what happened, so now they have to try to deal with that. And Anno chose to expose that through Asuka and Shinji precisely because of the way he constructed their characters and their interactions. Ultimately however, the same hope for a better future also applies to them after EoE's ending.

Shinji spends the first half of EoE begging for Asuka's attention. It's that same begging that makes him retract into his shell, while Asuka herself is fighting the MP Evas. It's seeing Eva 02's mangled and disfigured body that finally gets Shinji to completely panic, because now he believes that his last avenue of escape is gone. When he finally confronts her in the train scene and the coffee fight, Shinji states that he wants to help her, and "stay with her forever". But Asuka has seen through his bullshit. Asuka doesn't want to just be used as an emotional crutch, he doesn't want to be his "doll". No relationship can be built without mutual trust. Like she also says just one minute before, she wants all of him, or nothing at all. And Shinji reacts violently, he doesn't want to consider Asuka as a human being with her own needs. Shinji is objectifying Asuka (a lot like the otaku objectify their waifus). That is their central problem: they only seem themselves.

There is a reason why this scene in EoE also mirrors the kiss scene in Ep 15: Asuka was also begging for Shinji's attention, he was completely oblivious to that, and when he didn't do anything she interpreted that as rejection, which was one of the reasons which led to her downward spiral, as we can see clearly in Ep 22. Same thing for the Walls of Jericho scene in ep 9 (look into the movie that scene is referencing, it's pretty interesting), and many others. She was feeling desperately alone and Shinji wouldn't indulge her for even a second. He jerked off over her in a vulnerable state, and didn't even lift a finger to even try to help her while she was eaten alive.

Asuka was telling Shinji that he didn't really care and he just wanted a way to run away from the pain. How he was afraid of everyone else, and how he could never love anyone, because he never loved himself. And she was totally right.

In Asuka's point of view, rejecting Shinji was simply payback. It's a tragedy, but that's what it is.

When Shinji tries, again, to strangle her, he is trying to verify if he is indeed in real life. If he was still in Instrumentality, this would be a world that was designed to cater only to his own needs Asuka that was made only to satisfy his desires would never resist him, even if he tried to kill her. So when Asuka not only does resist, but actually shows the first act of compassion towards him in the entire series, that not only confirms he has indeed returned to reality, but it also shocks him and feels ashamed for all he did to her. Furthermore, this also signifies the personal growth they are now ready to have - hopefully.

After EoE they now have to deal with each other, and one can only hope that they can do that in a healthy way. Considering how Asuka had to caress Shinji to bring him back to reality, one would be inclined to hope that that can happen, that she has indeed learned through Instrumentality, that both Asuka and Shinji have finally learned to love themselves and can now try to reach other people (aka the whole point of Eva), just like how humanity at large can come back.

I'm quite sleepy right now, so I'll just paste this video.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:08 pm

^A lot of these are just kinda joke answers (The gendo bit obviously XD She does spent mst of the series following him like a cult leader), & not answering obvious flamebait questions nor taking them as seriously as us fanbois & fangirls.
All Ishida says is "I don' wanna say anything the director may not agree with"

Wanting someone's attention does not romantic interest make - quite the opposite, it provides a viable alternate explanation.
Of course both could coexist but the interpretation that she doesn't even like him is neither unlikely not outlandish not forced. It's not the only vaid possibility but as a possibility its not reachin at all, especially not considering her relentless mocking treatment.

TheCarkolum
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby TheCarkolum » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:11 am

C.T.1290 wrote: I've come the Tumblr post about the interview where Miyamura replied with a "no" on wether or not Asuka actually likes Shinji. And seeing as she is her voice actress, she seems to know Asuka inside and out

I don't know why we should be taking account of what a seiyuu says or thinks. She didn't construct the character...

xanderkh wrote:Plus, does the interview state in what context Asuka doesn't like about Shinji? Did she not like him at first, but does Asuka have the capacity to understand Shinji after EoE? Or does Asuka not like Shinji, Period? There's a lot to go on with just a simple answer without knowing the full context of the answe

Exactly. In what lapse of time are we referring to when we say "Asuka doesn't like about Shinji"? Because Asuka's feelings towards Shinji are shifting and changing over the entire series (and EoE).

C.T.1290 wrote:How would it be unfair to assume that Asuka doesn't like Shinji and take that as the truth?

Because is a reductionist statement. Asuka is maybe the most complex character after Rei, and her feelings towards Shinji and the others are complex and multi-directional. Furthermore, we have the end of EoE, who gives Asuka another layer. How can you state so easily that Asuka doesn't love Shinji? The answer can't be so easy, because we don't even know what is love for Asuka.
“The tragedy of growing old is not that one is old but that one is young.” - Oscar Wilde

"Remember kids, a smart man knows when it's time to RUN LIKE A LITTLE BITCH!!"

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:28 am

View Original PostTheCarkolum wrote:I don't know why we should be taking account of what a seiyuu says or thinks. She didn't construct the character...

Because they are given guidance on the character to help their performances? Their views are hardly automatically worthless, at least in this case, given that Anno was prepared to let the last words of EoE be decided by the VA in place of his words.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:45 pm

^
Well, like Felipe, both the Anno and the VAs have multiple viewpoints when it comes to their own character. Miyamura may say that Asuka doesn't like Shinji, while Anno hints otherwise. It kind of adds to the multi-dimension of a character, like a real person having doubts or contradictions in their own opinions. "Do I like him or don't I?" If anything, it makes the characters more real, or at least provides avenues for new possibilities. :)

Me personally? I'm a HUGE Asuka and Shinji fan, as both RE-TAKE, the Second Try, Ghosts of Evangelion, and many others helped me transition into Evangelion itself, but I'm also willing to read, research, and analysis other character interpretations, like how Wreckage provided, so let's analyze if Asuka and Shinji ARE compatible as a couple.

While it's true that Asuka and Shinji have similar background traumas, and are both Eva Pilots....but other than that, what else do they actually have that makes them a couple? Asuka has a VERY ambitious personality, seeming like she'd want to do something big with her life, something almost world-renowned with her abilities and intellect. Shinji, however, is very passive and withdrawn, and most likely will keep to himself, maybe running a restaurant or being a farmer. Shinji isn't very ambitious, and seems to only want to move through life without causing pain to others or himself. No one was around to help him see that ambition trait, and that's going to be pretty hard to overcome.

Now, I'm not saying that it's IMPOSSIBLE, but it's going to be a pretty big mountain to cross, considering not just their life-style choices, but their personalities, where Asuka is VERY critical of others, and Shinji is passive and takes words from others pretty hardly. Now, Instrumentality did give them the chance to learn to understand themselves and each other somewhat and start that journey, but based on what we have so far, and the circumstances and toxicity of their previous relationship, does that understanding equate to romantic love? Again, that's a pretty huge mountain to cross, and it would take a lot of time and effort to restructure their personalities to be compatible. Unfortunately, especially now these days, people aren't really that patient for that kind of restructuring and conditioning, especially when there are other options of people available...

It's possible that, while Shinji and Asuka do understand each other based on their similarities of trauma and backgrounds, they may move forward to other options for romantic needs and compatibility, while staying in touch based on their traumas. It's kind of like how Veteran's still get together even after the war; the war has given them a bond of trust and mutual understanding, as they both have endured a lot of pain together, both before and after the Angel's war. They have a bond, yes, but it is a bond between comrades and fellow soldiers, not a necessarily a romantic one, given their personality differences.

But again, that is just a possible understanding between them, and as the EoE ending suggests, their journey has just begun, and who knows what is in store for the future? :)

What do YOU guys think? :)
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:36 pm

I think that however close they may remain on the basis of shared or similar experiences, their lives would be blighted by their being together permanently. They each need to live with someone who can offer a different perspective to help them put their traumas in their place.

If they lived together, they might be able to fool themselves that there was love there - but it would be a poor and fragile thing compared with what each should be capable of given appropriate support and understanding.

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:09 pm

Personally, I think Shinji and Asuka may need some time apart to explore other avenues, and like you said Pwhodges, to put their trauma's behind them.

Then, maybe, just maybe, they can see something in each other that's irreplaceable to other people. :)

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:27 pm

Sure. Being able to understand one another is different from them falling in love. I'm not saying they are bound to be together or something like that. As a matter of fact, I don't think it is necessary for that to happen at any point As a matter of fact, even after EoE they are still very much broken. The best thing for them would be spend quite a while recovering and healing from their experiences. Shinji may very well learn to love himself and grow as a person, but that does not necessitate any one person, indeed he ultimately can only do it himself. Likewise, Asuka's (or Rei's) many problems aren't just going to be solved by Shinji's penis. They exist as full human beings on their own, not as accessories to the main character. Which I think is something a lot of people have trouble understanding: Evangelion is not a love story. It is not about how these two people fell in love. Asuka and Shinji might have the most prominent relationship in the show and Anno might have chosen to expose a lot though them, but that doesn't mean they are supposed to or even need to get together. This all plays out into many fans' desire to "fix" these characters as if they could just self insert as one them, but that whole idea is simply wishful thinking, and I think Anno had that very much in mind.

Still, after EoE, they are going to be stuck with each other for quite some time (or forever, depending on the state of the world at large), and they will need to navigate through their issues. Like the state of the world itself, it all boils down to your own interpretation of the series and its ultimate messages and themes. Maybe they'll kill each other leaving a barren, empty world behind. Maybe they'll manage, and the world will slowly but painfully recover. Maybe they'll actually make some progress and things will turn out okay. They may recover, with each other as part of the recovery or not, but they are going to be in the equation regardless. And I do think we saw a bit of progress at the end, the glimpse of change. We can only hope.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:18 pm

Let's unpack this "same traumas" bit, tho.
This is somethng where when I was younger I'd answer "I guess so, still think the other ships are better/ that she's mean/that it's not gonna work" but now as an adult trying to function despite my own traumas it really rubs me the wrong way.

Trauma is something external that is inflicted, nay, impressed upon you. It's outside your control. It's not who you are (& realizing that would be part of a healing process. ) Their mothers being eaten was an outside cicumstance that impacted them,

If you're talking about the dead mother thing, they reacted in completely opposite ways (their reaction being something much more indicative of their inner workings & priorities) and if you're talking about the EVA piloting they it's something that they experienced it rather differently.

The experiences that broke Shinji were moral dillemas, coping with responsibility so enormous he could barely grasp its scope & violence in itself.

The experiences that broke Asuka were repeated brutal defeats, being unable to live up to her own perfectionism & basically being treated as a minor pawn.

If you believe in this whole 'opposites attract' stuff go ahead & ship your heart out, personal taste, yadda yadda etc. but don't tell me they're similar just because of trauma, low self-esteem or universal human traits.

It's not like I don't get (or in fact, dig) the whole "Sharing common experiences" thing in itself & as a romantic trope but how much do they really have in common apart from some level of basic human weakness? I mean so they're both lonely & want attention? That just makes them basically teenagers. If not basically human. Which is sorta the point they're standin examples to discuss the many pitfalls of the human condition.

Different people process events differently & end up with different unhealthy patterns as a result.
See, for example Misato & Asuka's vastly different reaction to the "workaholic parent gets dumped/divorced" scenario (or just divorce). It would be just as reasonable to claim that they are the only ones who "can really understand each other" when they obviously don't understand each other very much at all beyond a superficial level in part because they process pain differently -
Both pretend to be ok when they aren't because they're afraid of dependence, but while Asuka is sorta hiding in her walled fort hoping that someone will climb the walls & care for her, Misato doesn't want to think of or be reminded of negativity - hence why she's like "Don't worry that was a long time ago" downplaying the incident - because that's how she would want to be treated, & it backfired spectacularly.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:49 pm

View Original PostKendrix wrote:how much do they really have in common apart from some level of basic human weakness?

Well, I mean, they're going to have a hard time finding anyone else who actually, really understands the whole "Eva pilot" thing. That's a pretty big deal. Asuka and Shinji have had such uniquely bizarre shared experiences that they're effectively going to be aliens to anyone else who tries to get emotionally intimate with them.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:13 am

Their experiences may be alien to others, but their reactions are all too human - that, of course, is why the series is so relatable to so many of those who watch it. This is not so different from military PTSD sufferers, who may need to be part of a support group with members who have shared their experiences as a way to help them cope with living a more normal life away from them.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:49 am

^ Thats a whole different issue tho, that's more a question of sitting the kids down in a circle with a shrink like "Eva Pilots Anonymous", including Touji & Rei if she ever returns from the sea.

Even then, unlike a random bunch of war veterans they already know each other & have preconceived notions & loaded perceptions of each other- For example Shinji may fail to show up out of guilt about what happened Touji & Asuka, while Asuka can't stand any of the others & is gonna see them as the Rivals she lost to until the shrink makes some serious progress - their traumas are all tangled up in each other.

And to say that they can never relate to anyone ever again is just lazy. If say, holocaust survivors managed to settle down with a random person, get married, have kids & reintegrate into society (as many of them did) so can our pilots.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”