Superhero/Comic Based Films & Tv - Vol.2

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

Re: Superhero/Comic Based Films & Tv - Vol.2

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue Dec 17, 2019 5:39 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:THE Suicide Squad in 2021

I hope that this will more fall in line with Assault on Arkham rather than the first Suicide Squad movie
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:47 am

First footage from...
The Falcon & The Winter Solider
WandaVision
Loki
(all series for Disney+)
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62EB4JniuTc
Extremely excited for TF&TWS, already getting TWS/Civil War vibes. Love that they are bringing back Zemo.

On this...
SPOILER: Show

Really hoping they give us a non cheap authentic version of Wanda's iconic costume, if they only give us this Halloween costume and then put her back into another damn jacket & street clothing style suit I am gonna take it as a slap in the face. If they can make Aquaman, Ocean Master, Black Manta, Doctor Strange & Deadpool all virtually identical to the comics while looking magnificently crafted and non silly they can damn well do it for Wanda also.

Black Widow
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxAtuMu_ph4
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1eykFE1fSA
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTL3OZkVMHQ
No complaints/concerns, looks solid. Shot of her leaping from the explosion is straight out of one of her recent comic series.
SPOILER: Show

2nd Birds of Prey Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3HbbzHK5Mc
Better and more fun seeming then the first but aside from Black Mask getting his mask (thank you) my complaints/concerns largely remain the same.

Morbius trailer 1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLMBLuGJTsA
Looks shockingly decent, better then Venom's trailers looked (still haven't seen that)

Bloodshot trailer 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R-qIOGyEcw
The CGI looks a little better for that falling fight scene & while the punch looks cool it seems kinda overpowered for the character, more Superman-ish.

Finally The New Mutants trailer 2 (1st trailer came out in 2017) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_vJhUAOFpI

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:26 am

Black Widow "final" trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybji16u608U
It's been pushed up to November so it doubt it will actually be the final trailer, sadly as they have already shown a ton of footage.
Looks great to me regardless.

Captain Marvel 2 set for July 8, 2022.
I am sure they will get another female director but they really really need to get the Russos back for this, I liked Captain Marvel (2018) but she direly needs her film equivalent to The Winter Soldier. WW84 honestly looks weak to me and Carol getting a stand out second film would boost her popularity at the perfect time to make up for WW's folly (should it not be received as well as her 2017 film).

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:25 am

I'm sure WW84 is going to do fine regardless, given how well-liked the first one was (it's probably the most unambiguously popular DCEU movie, after all).
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:10 pm

JJ Abrams and Bad Robot will oversee a Justice League Dark series for HBO Max.
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/justice_ ... ax-a174635
Really hope it includes the 2019 version of Swamp Thing.

Universal doing a Green Hornet movie.
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/green_ho ... ot-a174632

Natalie the Cat
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Natalie the Cat » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:17 pm

I’d rather see the story of the Swamp Thing stand-alone show play out than watch JJ ruin it with mystery boxes.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:46 pm

Finally watched...

Justice League (2017)
- Diana's above duel with Steppenwolf was among the standouts in the trailers for me and unfortunately was too quick in the film.
- Steppenwolf's entrance and attack on the Amazons is well done, the CGI for the fields was weak but it still managed to be a tense action sequence, I liked the Amazonian team work.
- I like Cyborg in this. Unlike others I moderately like his design. His CGI like the rest in the film fluctuates, the worst I recall is the first shots we see of him when the team meets Gordon.
- Really under rendered CGI for many of the backgrounds during the final battle.
- Aquaman is the most underused/underdeveloped of the cast.
- Flash's running style is weird but I only noticed it during the end montage.
- Flash isn't as annoying as I had been led to believe.
- Score is really unremarkable & meh.
- Unlike others I have zero problem with Diana wearing more sexy outfits or some of the Amazons having exposed muscular abs however I agree some of the lines suggesting Diana as a romantic partner seemed immature & weird. Aquaman's line about it while under the lasso's influence was fine but the lines from Alfred not so much. And yeah the moment of Flash falling on Diana's boobs was horribly filmed, the same gag worked in Age of Ultron because it was urgent and close up but this was just awkwardly forced as hell.
- Besides the mouth CGI, somethings are just off about Superman in this. During the opening and 1 or 2 other moments he seems kinda detached and smug in a way that I genuinely never felt from him in Mos/Bvs. That said he was still mostly cool & fun towards the end, I liked his brief banter with Cyborg.
- I like Ciaran Hinds but his Steppenwolf voice work was weak and not menacing most of the time.
- I actually like Steppenwolf's final design more than the more generic monster version of Snyder, this was more faithful to the new 52 comics. That said his face needed some work, could have used the viking beard from the comics and some red in the armor.
- Despite the massive budget and apocalyptic threat the film seems small in scale/scope especially compared to Mos & the final battle taking place in a largely deserted area just emphasizes that.
- Too many cringy lines, "you smell good", "thirstiest" and others.
- Diana still longing for Steve after a hundred years was a bit much.

Hopes for the Snyder cut! (for the record I am not among those clamoring for this despite being a fan of Snyder's Mos & Bvs)
- Better score.
- Batfleck being more serious throughout the film.
- More depth & screen time for Cyborg.
- More depth to Steppenwolf.
- None of the cringy Whedon lines.

Aquaman (2018)
Pros!
- This is legitimately probably the most visually beautiful film I have ever seen.
- Choreography is outstanding in virtually all battles, chases & fight scenes.
- 90-95% of the film's CGI is shockingly impeccable. It's astronomical how much better this CGI is compared to that from Justice League and they came out back to back years. The scene with the Trench attacking the boat was some of the weaker CGI and it was still plenty decent.
- The outfits for Aquaman, Manta, Orm & Mera are magnificent and some of the most faithful in the history of superhero films. Mera's was the "weakest" of the 4 (I don't love the flat octagon pattern compared to the sharp scales on her JL suit) and it's still fully great. It truly shows how there is no damn excuse for the awful outfits in Birds of Prey.
- Score is great, fluctuates from epic choir to 80s techno and does it virtually seamlessly.
- Entire cast does a good job. Heard is a little inconsistent but not bad.
- Mera isn't as charismatic or nurturing as I feel the comic version is but the film didn't really give her time for such, they treat her as a very practical, straight to the point badass woman.
- I think they got the tone just right wondrous, epic & fun but not silly.
- Manta & Orm are the best Dceu villains after Zod for me so far (haven't seen Shazam or bop). Manta's origin scene with his father is well done.
- Love the mass assortment of globe trotting locations.
- This is exactly the kinda epic battles & massive sense of scope the Thor movies have all been missing. And they also don't outstay their welcome like I have heard the battles in the Hobbit films do.

Cons!
- The romantic stuff in Sicily is weakly done but it doesn't last long.
- Black Manta's voice when he first appears in his iconic suit is a little hard to understand.
- Just a few cringy lines or moments (the toilet gag), not even close to as many as Justice League.
- Film felt a little long but there wasn't much I would have left out.

Overall!
Aquaman is objectively probably the best Dceu film, I still personally like Mos more but it does have more stand out mistakes.

Primary hopes for the Dceu going forward
- The rumors of Affleck coming back for a HBO Batman series come true.
- The alternate rumors of a Gotham PD series set in the Pattinson universe do Not come true.
- Man of Steel 2 happens with someone like Brad Bird directing.
- They don't kill off Arthur's parents in Aquaman 2.
- Emilia Clarke is not chosen to replace Heard as many have suggested (I am for heard being replaced just not by clarke)

Natalie the Cat
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Natalie the Cat » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:55 pm

I still think that Meera’s outfit should have come up to her neck.

I don’t think that DC should focus on movies. If the Snyder cut does well they should bring him back with a better team of writers and soft reboot the DCCU into prestige television shows building up to some theatrical releases.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Thu Jul 23, 2020 8:20 pm

Yeah, agreed. DC isn't really cut out for a cinematic universe, at least not in the same way that the MCU is. In general, I'm not a huge fan of having everyone and everything be a tie-in to something enormous that has run out of spectacle creep three movies ago; there's only so invested I can get in a local, small scale story when it doesn't shut up about the far more hyped movie from five years ago that has giant death laser pointed at the entire planet this very minute. Obviously exxaggerated, but not by much I'm afraid.

DC is at its absolute best when it's small stories that only hint at the other stuff existing through cameos and the like; the likes of Burton Batman, Assault on Arkham and Enemy Ace are just in a league of their own compared to basically everything else I've seen in the genre at large
which, granted, sounds more than it is, superheroes are not particularily a genre I'm invested in and I haven't seen any big SH movie released in the past five years or so
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:46 pm

Blockio, your post also (possibly inadvertently) points out the other failing of DC cinematic universe(s). Basically all of the films you mentioned as being good DC titles are all Batman titles. It's almost like the Chris Reeves Superman movies don't count as DC films anymore. I can't blame anyone for thinking that, or at least not even considering those films anymore. Ever since 1989, DC has really only put their cinematic eggs in the Batman basket, so he's kinda become the face of DC comics for an entire generation. (I mean, we saw three whole different phases of Batman films between Superman IV: Quest for Peace and Man of Steel.) But, in doing that, DC may have thrown the baby out with the bath water. DC can now only really "feel" like DC to a lot of the current audience landscape if it's got Batman in it, and Batman's look has evolved to be a very specific, gritty, gothic look that doesn't really fit in with any other DC comics characters. It's not like Marvel, where you can place Iron Man next to Spiderman or Deadpool and think, "Yeah, I can see those guys existing together." So now all of the other non-gothic-congruent DC superheroes need to bend over backwards and do cartwheels in order to fit in with DC's established Batman aesthetic, regardless of whether or not in turns into a visually cohesive or appealing film. Like, the Wonder Woman movie looked pretty good, and then in The Justice League she looked like she walked in on one of Batman's films, even though it wasn't technically a Batman film; it just had Batman in it, and now the whole film has to bend to his visual style. (Insert LEGO Batman's "I only use black bricks, or sometimes very, very dark grey," quote here.) Basically, DC has worked so hard to become "The Batman Film Company" that it's difficult for them to consider other DC superhero's appeal when making a movie. Hell, they could even rebrand themselves as "The Batman Film Company" without feeling the need to change a thing about their approach to DC films in the process.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:50 pm

I can definitely see what you mean and do agree on most of it, but that was definitely inadvertently. I simply have no investment in Superman, Wonder Woman or really any of the other big names of DC and always found them the most boring parts of even the good crossovers like Justice League and The Brave and the Bold, so I never bothered watching anything with them as the focus and subsequently have no opinion on the quality of the movies :P

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Jul 24, 2020 5:05 am

I totally understand, but for someone like me who grew up interested in Superman over Batman, all of DC's branding just kinda feels one-sided these days. And regardless of which characters the fandom likes, the fact that non-Batman DC characters aren't trending with audiences as much naturally places some severe obstacles to creating a DCEU. For example, the studios involved will naturally get cold feet about a DC movie unless it looks like it could be a Batman instead. We saw this with both Wonder Woman and The Justice League, which had some pretty severe and obvious over corrections in the color grading after production to mitigate that erroneous aesthetic decision by the studio executives, and in the case of The Justice League it only served to show how silly the costumes that were designed to be hidden in shadow looked when they were in broad daylight. I understand that DC only attempted a DCEU in order to compete with Marvel, but I don't know how they thought they could easily pivot 2 decades worth of marketing and creative branding into something so antithetical to that branding.

Oh well. I probably won't sign up for HBOMax (I have an inherent mistrust of any media platform that isn't the physical copies of anything sitting on my shelf that I can keep forever), so I'll probably never see The Snyder Cut™.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:13 pm

Batman needs to be regulated as the one edgy and nihilistic friend in the group of otherwise colorful and bright characters. Rather than having the world to be gritty around him, resulting in a clash for the other characters, he should exist in a light-hearted world as the one guy that randomly and awkwardly waxes poetic about the night and the shadows, ruining the conversation for others trying just trying to play a game of scrabble.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:49 pm

Watching Justice League Dark: Apokolips War on Amazon Prime a few days ago made me realize that this was the first time ever Damian Wayne never annoyed me in the slightest bit. Maybe it was the puberty in the voice or the fact that an intergalactic war that turned his father into Darkseid's unwilling servant and dealing with his ever present feelings for Raven gave him a much needed levity in the ego sector. Absolutely adored the penultimate shot of the ending before credits rolled was Damian and Raven kiss. Such a shame that out of the many casualties, Nightwing may have gotten Starfire back but how can he enjoy it if he's gone out of his own sanity to the point which their sentimental moment was Kori consoling the poor soul. May be a fate worse than death if you ask me.
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:28 pm

Superman - Man of Tomorrow trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD3N7hLTrrM
First of the post new 52 inspired DC universe animated movies which recently ended with the extremely bloody Apokolips War. Not clear if this will start a new shared universe or will just be a stand alone. Very pleased to see Martian Manhunter in a prominent role potentially as mentor to the young Superman. Art style is unique compared to any of the previous DC animated movies, at times kinda flat looking but solid anyway.

I really hope they don't rehash Wonder Woman's origin again in her next animated appearance. They covered it in her 2009 & Bloodlines animated films on top of her live action 2017 film. (still salty the 2009 film didn't get a sequel)

Deathstroke - Knights & Dragons trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2dMzlOIVxg

View Original PostGus Hanson wrote:Watching Justice League Dark: Apokolips War on Amazon Prime a few days ago made me realize that this was the first time ever Damian Wayne never annoyed me in the slightest bit. Maybe it was the puberty in the voice or the fact that an intergalactic war that turned his father into Darkseid's unwilling servant and dealing with his ever present feelings for Raven gave him a much needed levity in the ego sector. Absolutely adored the penultimate shot of the ending before credits rolled was Damian and Raven kiss. Such a shame that out of the many casualties, Nightwing may have gotten Starfire back but how can he enjoy it if he's gone out of his own sanity to the point which their sentimental moment was Kori consoling the poor soul. May be a fate worse than death if you ask me.

View Original PostGus Hanson wrote:I went into detail about Justice League Dark: Apokolips War in the Superheroes thread so I will keep it short. Tremendous yet bittersweet method of ending the first continuity of the DC Comics Animated Universe indeed. The amount of carnage and casualties will have you on the edge of your seat. Plus, if I ever meet Hynden Walch (voice of Harley) at a con, I definitely need to ask her to do that "If you're happy and you know it, smack a head" tune that her character sings while going to town on the enemies. :D

What did you think were the best films of this specific continuity? I've only seen Flashpoint Paradox (thought it was damn good) and JL-War (thought it was weak to poor)
Last edited by movieartman on Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Wed Aug 19, 2020 2:59 pm

I have seen Son of Batman, Batman vs. Robin, Batman Bad Blood, Justice League vs. Teen Titans, Teen Titans The Judas Contract, and The Death of Superman as far as the main continuity and Damian Wayne was the weak sauce in most of them. Off putting personality and the kid voice which like I said earlier got more deeper thanks to puberty in Apokolips War were the main problems. But I did like his connection with Raven.
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:47 pm

Olivia Wilde (tron legacy) will direct Spider Woman for Sony. It was initially posted on most sites as just a rumor but she re-posted a tweet of the news with a spider symbol so that seems to confirm it.
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/spider-man/spider-woman/olivia-wilde-tapped-to-direct-spider-woman-movie-for-marvel-and-sony-pictures-a177670#gs.dd60st

My primary concern with this film is I really like Drew's relationship with Hydra in the comics and I'm afraid that such won't be allowed in the film with it being a Sony production. A more serious Winter Soldier-y spy oriented Spider Woman film would be exactly the thing to contrast her from Holland's slice of life Spider Man movies.

The Boys - Season 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVHwlqyMyhM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQMrAN5Xwes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OC5NSRW9Lw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN8fFM1ZdWo

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:22 am

Couldn't it be Spider Gwen if it's just a Spider as the hint?

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:32 pm

Ben Affleck officially confirmed to be returning for The Flash!
FUCK YES!
Keaton is also confirmed.
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/the_flas ... #gs.dg3ruq

Affleck received the script for the movie last week, and has now agreed to star in the project.

"He’s a very substantial part of the emotional impact of the movie," director Andy Muschietti explains. "The interaction and relationship between Barry and Affleck’s Wayne will bring an emotional level that we haven’t seen before. It’s Barry’s movie, it’s Barry’s story, but their characters are more related than we think. They both lost their mothers to murder, and that’s one of the emotional vessels of the movie. That’s where the Affleck Batman kicks in."

The filmmaker later added that Keaton's Batman will have a "substantial" part, but it wouldn't work for the Flash to meet another Dark Knight without "the original" being part of the proceedings. "He’s the baseline," the director notes. "He’s part of that unaltered state before we jump into Barry’s adventure. There's a familiarity there."

In the same interview, producer Barbara Muschietti reveals that she was surprised Affleck was happy to return as Batman given past comments he made about playing the character, but noted that "he’s now in a very different time in his life. Right now he’s in a place where he can actually enjoy being Batman. It's a pivotal role, but at the same time it’s a fun part."

I really hope they don't erase him with with the Flashpoint shenanigans but they probably will :um:

Logo & Jim Lee art revealed for The Batman (pattinson)
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/batman/t ... #gs.dg3ro6

Sony's Kraven the Hunter movie has it's director, he did A Most Violent Year and Triple Frontier.
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/spider-m ... or-a177699

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:40 pm

It’s smart of Warner Brothers to get everyone excited about the many Batmen who are going to appear in THE FLASH film.

It keeps people from taking about Ezra Miller’s recent assault charges and the tons of other upsetting stuff that is soon going to come out about him in the next two years (And there’s a lot) between now and the release.

By the time the movie comes out and who Miller is is public knowledge everyone will still end up going to see the film because it will be marketed as “The Meeting of the Batmen”

Return to “Film and Video”