Superhero/Comic Based Films & Tv - Vol.2

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Re: Superhero/Comic Based Films & Tv - Vol.2

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:14 am

Not that I expect this - quite likely the last Fox X-Men movie** before they're rebooted into the MCU - to be any good but to be fair towards the production EVERY big budget blockbuster has reshoots. Usually to add in character moments or small action beats here and there. It's very common. Dark Phoenix, to date, has been a very common production. It's written into contracts that actors need to be available for reshoots if required. Someone somewhere just started a "they're reshooting the entire movie" rumor for attention and the internet did what it does best - take an unsubstantiated rumor and spread it around so much it becomes an alternative fact.

Mind you, I don't expect the film to be good - all the X-Men movies aside from The Wolverine, First Class & Logan are merely "okay" - but a rumor started by a bunch of DC or MCU fanboys who have this weird animosity towards live action cartoons not made by their company.

http://collider.com/x-men-dark-phoenix- ... explained/

Anywho, movie looks "okay". I'm curious to see what Jessica Chastain will do and this one should have a real sense of finality since this will be the end for the Fox X-Men. I, of course, also find it absolutely hilarious that this movie takes place in the 1990s & that Professor X & Magneto haven't aged a day since First Class which was set during the Cuban Missile Crisis in 1962! Age will catch up with when they both age from supremely fit Michael Fassbender & James McAvoy into Ian McKellan & Patrick Stewart a decade later circa 2000.

High point: Michael Fassbender delivering the line "You're always sorry Charles" is pure gold. He continues to be the one truly excellent element best in these films.

**One could argue The Dark Mutants is the last Fox X-Men movie but no one has an idea what's going on with that film. Now THAT movie is having post production woes with multiple reshoot sessions, new CG characters added in post, delays of over a year & a half, etc. Honestly, I'm still expecting the film to become a Disney Streaming title in the near future.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:04 pm

I doubt that Disney will reboot X-Men straight into the MCU. More likely they’ll do it in ten years time as part of a great multiversal mash up that lets them recast seasoned characters as well as develop new ones.

If I had to guess there will be a separate rebooted Disney X-Verse and whether it ends up merging with the MCU depends on whether it turns out like the Marvel or like Mouse Wars. They’ll hedge their bets and just let it lay if it’s going to oversaturate. Even if they don’t develop it as a film series, owning it is sensible from a business perspective- no more Marvel characters competing with Marvel franchises.

X-Men would be better for their streaming services prestige show plans. The nature of the property with a large cast of rotating characters makes more sense for a long form serial drama than a series of movies, which by necessity end up focusing on a small core cast and reduce everyone else to cameos.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:54 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I doubt that Disney will reboot X-Men straight into the MCU. More likely they’ll do it in ten years time as part of a great multiversal mash up that lets them recast seasoned characters as well as develop new ones.

That's more like how Netflix would do it, which is a good idea, mind you. I just think, like Star Wars, Disney will be paying way too much money on Fox's loot to feel comfortable just sitting on that property for that long.

That being said, Fox is more than just the X-Mwn + Deadpool. They'd have OG Star Wars rights before Fox would have lost those rights in 2020 anyway, and then there's all that Alien & Predator merch to milk. I can't wait for the Disney version of Ridley Scott's next installment in the Alien series. (Actually that sounds horrible, and Disney will probably make X-Men movies within the next three years tops since its Fox's most like-minded film franchise outside of potential OG Star Wars Blu-rays.)

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:59 pm

There’s so much else to exploit as part of the Fox deal it’s crazy.

Since our corporate overlords don’t care what sets think and this happens if it destroys culture or not, I hope we finally get some nice clean releases of the unmolested Star Wars films.

Some theatrical rereleases would be nice too. If they did it every year I’d probably go. The originals are good.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:12 pm

Disney might reboot Home Alone, that I could see. And they might actually provide a more substantial boost in helping James Cameron along with his Avatar movies. (Also, I just realized that they bought back The Chronicles of Narnia and Doctor Dolittle from Fox in this deal, that's hilarious!) I can't imagine them having much interest in Ace Age outside of maybe television productions for Disney XD or something like that. (If they do The X-Files in the style of Gravity Falls, I'm down for it!) I really don't know how viable ID4 is as a franchise, seeing as how it'll probably rely heavily on (the less-then-great) director Roland Emmerich, and the sequel wasn't even that good anyway.

I also don't know how viable the Maze Runner franchise is. Percy Jackson might be rebooted entirely as competition for WB's Fantastic Beasts movies, as I can't imagine Disney touching Narnia ever again after Prince Caspian, seeing as they actively shoved it off to Fox to begin with.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:35 pm

The ID4 sequel was an atrocity. It should be against the Geneva convention. It has no redeeming qualities and it reminded me that Reese Witherspoon has an adult child who is a professional actress, causing me to leave the theater with a temporary ennui.
the prophecy is true

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:59 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Disney might reboot Home Alone, that I could see. And they might actually provide a more substantial boost in helping James Cameron along with his Avatar movies. (Also, I just realized that they bought back The Chronicles of Narnia and Doctor Dolittle from Fox in this deal, that's hilarious!) I can't imagine them having much interest in Ace Age outside of maybe television productions for Disney XD or something like that. (If they do The X-Files in the style of Gravity Falls, I'm down for it!) I really don't know how viable ID4 is as a franchise, seeing as how it'll probably rely heavily on (the less-then-great) director Roland Emmerich, and the sequel wasn't even that good anyway.

I also don't know how viable the Maze Runner franchise is. Percy Jackson might be rebooted entirely as competition for WB's Fantastic Beasts movies, as I can't imagine Disney touching Narnia ever again after Prince Caspian, seeing as they actively shoved it off to Fox to begin with.

Can I just say that I don't want Disney to reboot Home Alone because a Disney problem is toning down adult themes and violence and the point of Home Alone is its like a Looney toons or tom and jerry cartoon but in real life and the villains get kicked to high heaven its part of what makes it fun. This is also why The Chronicles of Narnia series crashed and burned because when ever they showed sword like medieval battles its with out any blood and they just look so laughable and unrealistic when compared to LOTR which nailed that format.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:31 am

Realistic blood and CS Lewis don’t really go together.
the prophecy is true

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:04 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Realistic blood and CS Lewis don’t really go together.

True I get its a kids book but the reality is that in the first book they strip a lion of a his mane and stab him as sacrifice on a stone table before he was reborn and that whole idea was based on Jesus being put on the cross as the CW Lewis was really region heavy from what I've heard so there are very adult undertones in that which the first Narina film utterly failed to pick up on and i'm saying show heads getting hacked off but but at least show bloody swords even if you have to coat them in black blood because I get the difficulty with showing red in kids stuff.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:08 am

C. S. Lewis liked the sacrificial scene, but not so much the battle scene. Both Disney’s Narnia and Jackson’s Hobbit 3 suffer from trying to use battle scenes to compete with LotR, when both children’s books distanced themselves from their respective battle scenes and had then all relayed to the readers through a second-hand retelling of the battles. Bilbo was out cold for the Battle of Five Armies and had to have the accounts recounted for him, and Susan and Lucy missed the battle when they witnessed Aslan’s sacrifice and had to have the battle recounted to them by other characters. (I forget if it was their brothers or the forest animals who recounted the battle to them.)

The answer to both films would be to not compete with LotR using children’s stories, and thusly to not focus on the battles of their respective stories.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:06 pm

Studio must have some confidence in the Dark Phoenix film.
They just pushed the movie back to a June 8, 2019 release date. The very center of the summer. Not a place you move a movie you have no faith in.
Alita: Battle Angel though has been pushed from December 21, 2018 to a Valentine's Day 2019 release taking Dark Phoenix's old release date.

Taking Alita's old date? An Untitled Deadpool Movie.
Early talk is it could be a PG-13 re-cut of Deadpool 2. Haven't seen the film myself - no thank you - but I heard they shot the film so it could work as an R & a PG-13. They do a little reshoot - add a meta prologue & epilogue I'm sure, complete with new teaser for whatever they have planned next - and boom, they're done.
Which honestly makes sense to me since Disney/Marvel are fully intending to merge all the X-Men characters into the MCU over the course of the next few years & while every other character is going to be recast - I fully expect a new Wolverine will be cast by 2020- they don't intend to get rid of Ryan Reynolds. BUT they do want to make him a PG-13 character. A re-release of PG-13 Deadpool 2 would be an ideal way to test the idea.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:32 pm

If you haven't seen Deadpool 2 you're missing out on the best performance of Brad Pitt's career.
the prophecy is true

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:08 pm

^ Oh, hell yeah!

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:26 pm

Also hopefully Marvel will take a page from their own successes and focus on un/underused X-Men characters.

I'd like to see Mister Sinister in the movies, that'd be fun.
the prophecy is true

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:56 pm

I took you guys up on the recommendation & watched Deadpool 2.

Gotta admit, while I absolutely hated the first movie (it’s poorly made and feels like an awful never ending Family Guy joke that drags on for two endless hours) & the “funny music” gag in the sequel got real old real fast I overall loved it. The sequel was juvenile as hell but had much sharper writing, far superior action scenes & even had an actual storyline that the jokes flowed from naturally. Enjoyed Josh Brolin a lot & Zazie Beetz as Domino has an insane wealth of charisma!

I was very pleasantly surprised!

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:40 pm

I feel like the first one was more streamlined, so I think it was a better movie than Deadpool 2 all around. But, at the same time, if you're not into the one joke of the first Deadpool movie, then movie has very little in the way of something else to offer you, streamlined narrative or not. Deadpool 2 definitely had more narrative variety, so if you're not into the first film's one joke, then the sequel will give you something else pretty quick. I do feel like the characters were better written in the second film, over all. As much as I liked the first film, I didn't give a shit about any of the characters. And those Afterlife scene in Deadpool 2 are actually pretty emotional and kinda took me by surprise.

Also, Shiori Kutsuna and Zazie Beetz need to be in more everything. I will even watch horrible Michael Bay movies if it means more Shiori Kutsuna and Zazie Beetz. (I probably won't enjoy them that much, but I'll watch them.)

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:46 am

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:03 pm

Fantastic 5 minute Aquaman trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaWnLiffxJ4

Everything about this looks great besides the piss joke & them making Arthur seem dumb.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:34 pm

I saw Venom this morning.

It’s fucking hilarious. I wanted a horror comedy about a musclebound doofus and an alien slime trying to be a superhero and that’s exactly what I got. My main complaint is that it spends too long -almost half the run time- on the setup part, and this shortchanges the symbiote a bit, making the emotional climax of the film feel forced.

The absence of Spider-Man actually forced them to get a little visually creative.

It’s very much a throwback to the pre-Iron Man era of comic book adaptations that were so desperate to avoid cheese that they became dangerously cheesy. It reminds me of The Mask if it hadn’t been sanitized for kiddies.

It’s neither a Marvel formula movie nor a brooding meditation on why life sucks and everything is shit. It’s it’s own thing.

I desperately hope they make a sequel. I don’t care about loyalty to giant corporations or studio drama, I just want them to deliver on the first post-credit scene that actually left me excited in about five years.

SPOILER: Show
Woody Harrelson in a ridiculous orange wig hamming it up to holy hell as he plays the most 1990s of 1990s comic book characters.

Also Tom Hardy sounds fine and I don’t undretand why they made him sound like he has a speech impediment in the trailers.

If it does bomb I expect it to eventually earn cult classic status. Ignore the bulk of critic reviews; you can tell most of the film critic scene spent too much time honing takedowns of this movie before they saw it to say anything meaningful.
the prophecy is true

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:09 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I saw Venom this morning.

It’s fucking hilarious. I wanted a horror comedy about a musclebound doofus and an alien slime trying to be a superhero and that’s exactly what I got. My main complaint is that it spends too long -almost half the run time- on the setup part, and this shortchanges the symbiote a bit, making the emotional climax of the film feel forced.

When you say horror comedy are you talking sharp Gremlins black comedy that nails it or B movie so good it bad horror?

Return to “Film and Video”