Superhero/Comic Based Films & Tv - Vol.2

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Re: Superhero/Comic Based Films & Tv - Vol.2

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:34 pm

Only thing I'm interested about in Captain Marvel is seeing their de-aging CGI used on Sam Jackson for an entire film. The image EW shared is pretty goddamn remarkable. The movie itself I'm sure will be fine. It won't stick in my mind but for the 130 minutes it runs it will be an enjoyable - if bland - experience. It will then of course be OVER-HYPED as the most thoughtful & well-written blockbuster of all time and it will OVER-HATED as the dumbest piece of shit ever by people in general. It won't be the greatest film of the year nor will it be absolute trash. It will be okay. It might even have a good idea here & there....

...Ideas that I'm sure will be used as mere empty props in Avengers 4.

Me, I'll go see Captain Marvel as a way to pass the time until Jordan Peele's US hits theaters the following week. From what I've heard the script for that is phenomenal.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:27 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Captain Marvel is a movie that I'm actually kinda hyped for. It looks like fun. The "Nostalgia Factor" might be a little too strong, though. ("Hey, remember NIN?") It probably won't be as fun as any of James Gunn's movies, but still fun. I'll watch it, probably only once, then move on.

I'm onto you Freaky. :tongue: Actually, what did this guy do in the first place?
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri Sep 07, 2018 5:32 am

View Original Postcyharding wrote:I'm onto you Freaky. :tongue: Actually, what did this guy do in the first place?

A conservative conspiracy guy retaliated against him for speaking against Trump by bringing up these horrific 9 year old tweets of his.
SPOILER: Show

And there was a picture of him with both male & female adult friends at a pedo-themed (?) party of sorts.

People are saying rehire him because the source of the entire situation is a extreme conservative trying to slander the guy. I can't help but fear they wouldn't be pushing for second chances if Gunn was conservative & it was a Liberal bringing these things to light.
For me the source is irrelevant. I personally don't care if they rehire him or not, but I think if anyone of any political area is going to be punished for being "offensive" this should be it. Like this is worse then what Mel Gibson or Bar said IMO. They aren't jokes nor are they insults but their just deeply unsettling.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Sep 07, 2018 7:19 am

Well Mel Gibson violently beat his wife in real life but sure, a shock filmmaker who worked for gross-out studio Troma at the time making some really misguided tweets and then learning this is not the way to act and moving on from that chapter in his life to become a better person & then be punished for jokes - no accusations of actual assault made, proven or even talked about yet - he made a decade after the fact is worse.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:56 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Well Mel Gibson violently beat his wife in real life but sure, a shock filmmaker who worked for gross-out studio Troma at the time making some really misguided tweets and then learning this is not the way to act and moving on from that chapter in his life to become a better person & then be punished for jokes - no accusations of actual assault made, proven or even talked about yet - he made a decade after the fact is worse.

I was genuinely unaware of the beating. Your absolutely right that is worse.
I thought it was just about the "pack of N'words" rant & talking shit to the Jewish cop.

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:01 am

Am I the only one who thinks it's odd we haven't heard what the rating for Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse is yet? Since it's an animated movie, my initial guess was that it would be rated PG (which seems to be the default rating for such movies in this day and age), but I'm no longer so sure.
The trailers seem to be focus more on action and drama than comedy, which is extremely atypical for animated movie trailers. The marketing I've seen, both on social media and in the "real world", seems to be trying to sell the movie to an overall hipper, more urban, older, and teen-oriented crowd than most other animated movies.
With all that in mind. . . could we be looking at a PG-13 theatrical animated superhero movie?
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:23 am

After three or so years of delays, the teaser for Enthiran 2.0 is finally out, and it looks... very sequellific.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:57 am

Captain Marvel's trailer is here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1BCujX3pw8

This is pretty much exactly the tone & style I was hoping for. Her mask looks shockingly good, much better then in the comics actually.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:13 pm

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:Captain Marvel's trailer is here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1BCujX3pw8

I just hope they have put real effort in to this film I really do because we should have the Black Widow movie years ago and if they want any chance of measuring up to WW doing the 90's hard ass female who beats people up but has no deep emotion will not cut it in my view. As the character needs to be all rounded and deep because after the crap that was the Tomb Raider reboot Hollywood needs to seriously up there game as lazy female lead stories will not cut it any more.
Last edited by silvermoonlight on Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:47 pm

From what I've heard the script for this one has been micro-managed to the nth degree to sand off the edges & make as palatable as possible because Kevin Feige & Marvel want to make everyone forget they refused to do female led stories for 20 movies. The marketing for this one is also going to be especially aggressive leading up to release. Will it be good? Captain Marvel won't be as political/social minded as Black Panther which got to work in a lot of mature themes & ideas because the image of Disney telling an African-American filmmaker & his mostly black crew to "rein it in" would have been disastrous. But it will probably be Marvel good - enjoyable film but over-rated & over-hated in equal parts - and a decent Spring blockbuster.

I also expect Disney will find a way to sell the idea of Captain Marvel being an official Disney Princess by the end of 2019.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:59 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:From what I've heard the script for this one has been micro-managed to the nth degree to sand off the edges & make as palatable as possible because Kevin Feige & Marvel want to make everyone forget they refused to do female led stories for 20 movies. The marketing for this one is also going to be especially aggressive leading up to release. Will it be good? Captain Marvel won't be as political/social minded as Black Panther which got to work in a lot of mature themes & ideas because the image of Disney telling an African-American filmmaker & his mostly black crew to "rein it in" would have been disastrous. But it will probably be Marvel good - enjoyable film but over-rated & over-hated in equal parts - and a decent Spring blockbuster.

I also expect Disney will find a way to sell the idea of Captain Marvel being an official Disney Princess by the end of 2019.

Thank you for this, that puts my mind way more at ease, granted I don't expect it to be on that social minded theme that Black Panther was, I just want more from a Marvel female character like one who can look pissed off or angry and ugly cry (Like women do in real life) because the always looking beautiful trope does nothing but hurt female characters in film and its tiresome old and long in the teeth. Also I'm not even going to go in to Kevin Feige that guy pisses me off so much and I'll just end up ranting about him in my view he feels like a dinosaur relic from the 70's that needs putting out to pasturer.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:46 pm

Disney Streaming is coming for you all, mofos.

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/loki-scarlet-witch-tv-series-marvel-disney-streaming-service-1202947551/

Sure, both these characters are "totally, so seriously dead" (I can't get side-tracked by how much I hate the emptiness that is Infinity War & how it's pretty much turned me off the entire universe & how I plan to never watch another film after Avengers 4 "finishes the story", I can't) but Loki & Scarlet Witch are getting big budget TV series on Disney's streaming service set to launch in Fall 2019. These series will be direct MCU tie-ins with Tom Hiddleston & Elizabeth Olson in their respective roles & will have large for TV budgets - think later season Game of Thrones sized - so they can fit in visually & tonally with the never-ending cinematic franchise. These aren't the shitty "so serious" garbage shows that Netflix has like Daredevil that kinda-but-not-really take place in the grander MCU. These will be MCU set series that will likely feature storylines, characters, plot McGuffins & vital plot points that will so directly tie into future Marvel theatrical movies that if you don't watch them you won't get the full story. The movies will still work on their own but it will be like watching an episode of The Office Season 5 without having seen anything from the first four. Enjoyable on it's own but so many callbacks, references & story notes you won't get.
Disney streaming will be like Oprah & basically say "You get a series! You get a series! YOU ALL GET A SERIES!" to pretty much any character to date or from here on out who people respond to well but can't merit a standalone theatrical release.
So hey, Falcon? YOU GET A SERIES!
What's up Okoye from Black Panther? YOU GET A SERIES!
How you doing, Drax? YOU GET A - wait, Dave Bautista doesn't want to stick around because Marvel & Disney play nice with Neo-Nazis? Uhh.... gotta distract people quick, gotta distract - oh hey, Tessa Thompson, you played a 2-dimenstional character in Thor 3 but your charisma made her work! YOU GET A SERIES! Hiya, Hawkeye... YOU - well, you probably won't get a series.

At the moment the plan is characters who have had their own title features won't appear - Iron Man, Thor, Captain America - but that shit will probably change a year in & is probably just either a contact issue or is so fans can do Disney's job for them & hype themselves non-stop for the next year over the possibility that any of those characters will "die" in Avengers 4 - Hint: They won't - and any future theatrical film headliners from here on out (like Brie Larson in Captain Marvel) will have it written in their contracts that not only will they have to star or be supporting in 10 films but they'll also have to be in 5 to 7 Disney Streaming TV series. Being with Marvel is not an acting gig anymore, it's a full-time career. To paraphrase Uncle Ben, "With Great Franchising comes zero permanent consequences".

Basically, Disney is doing what I knew they'd do the minute they announced Disney Streaming. They want to usurp Netflix as the lead Over-The-Top streaming service in the world and they want to do it fast. The best way to do that is to whore out their big properties. Not just Marvel but Star Wars, Pixar, Disney Animation and all those Twentieth Century Fox properties they now own the rights to. Their plan will work too. People SAY they want original content but if given the choice more often then not they'll return to things they already like because it's a safer choice. Example: The Marvel shows on Netflix are mostly hot garbage but they're still some of the most watched - if not THE MOST watched - Originals on Netflix because people have been programmed to consume all things Marvel.

One thing I predict, Kevin Feige & Disney's big plan with Marvel after Avengers 4 is probably going to abandon the spiel they've been selling for the past decade - "You have to see every movie because it's all been leading to Thanos " - & will probably really push the idea of this being a multi-platformed universe. Are you looking forward to Thor 4? Well, if you don't watch the two Loki Seasons, the Tessa Thompson series & the Asgard Reborn mini-series you're only going to get about half the plot. Better pay for that Disney Streaming fee.

So yeah. That's happening.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Sep 19, 2018 12:50 am

Your indignation at your own inability to suspend your disbelief will never cease to amuse me.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:23 pm

^ I think it has less to do with how believable these movies are and more to do with how compelling he finds them. Not so much “Thor’s a Norse god and those don’t exist in the real world, silly studio,” and more like “That Thor 3 movie was okay I guess. Nothing special, tho. Kinda felt studio-mandated or something.”

Also silvermoonlight, Kevin Feige might be an old dinosaur relic that needs replacing, but at least he wasn’t the one who fired James Gunn.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:15 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Also silvermoonlight, Kevin Feige might be an old dinosaur relic that needs replacing, but at least he wasn’t the one who fired James Gunn.

I'm starting to feel differently about Gunn now as I heard his tweets being leaked came about through Mike Cernovich and if you read up on him he is a massively problematic MRA movement pusher and this the kind off narrow asshole, who claim's thing like date rape dose not exist. So imagine the irony that this prick is calling out Gunn for old tweets when this guy has been accursed of rape and is one of those guys who does all that predatory pick up artist crap.

https://www.thewrap.com/mike-cernovich-who-got-james-gunn-fired-over-rape-tweets-has-history-of-rape-tweets/

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:35 pm

The Gunn affair is pretty transparently an effort to damage #metoo by targeting a beloved master of nerd lore with accusations over old frivolities. It worked like a charm.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:42 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:The Gunn affair is pretty transparently an effort to damage #metoo by targeting a beloved master of nerd lore with accusations over old frivolities. It worked like a charm.

Yeah that's the bit of this story I really wasn't aware of because I know now that if I'd spent more time looking Mike Cernovich I would have changed my mind right away as I did hear his name but just didn't see the issue in full and its scary how well this worked and that this guy loves the current President.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:32 am

Dark Phoenix trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWbMckU3AOQ

Pros...
- Overall looks good.
- Love FassMags so much.
- Fassbender & Chastain are among my top favorite actors/actresses working today so I hope they have some interaction in the film.
- Music and emotional intensity are all on point.
- The flames being pulled back into Jean in the 2nd to last shot look appropriately savage almost like magma, I liked the death of Apocalypse but Jean's Phoenix in that film didn't seem intense or powerful enough visually.
- Jennifer Lawrence doesn't seem to be getting much focus (I liked her as Mystique but feel her story was done with Dofp)

Cons...
- Too many beats seem lifted right from Last Stand.
- The big set piece effects probably aren't done but as is it looks too grounded & small scale (1 of the creators previously stated such was the intent after for some reason taking away from Apocalypse's reception that it's scale being big & global was a flaw :facepalm: )
- Sad the X-Men aren't using their uniforms from the very end of Apocalypse.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:39 am

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:Dark Phoenix trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWbMckU3AOQ

This is second time I've seen them go for the Phoenix is a split personalty brought on by mental health (Which is really insulting if you have mental health issues its like saying your dangerous) and its starting to annoy me big time as in the comics Jean Grey is exposed to the deadly radiation of a solar flar its pure accident and causes her powers to increase and in the 80's run Jean and the Phoenix become separate beings and I worry that there just gonna run this saga like the classic once again and kill Jean anyway because lazy writing will win out.

Side note this is rumoured to have had reshoots which I consider a very bad sign.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:23 am

There’s a spoiler synopsis going aroupnd that strongly differentiates this from X3.
the prophecy is true

Return to “Film and Video”