Superhero/Comic Based Films & Tv - Vol.2

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Re: Superhero/Comic Based Films & Tv - Vol.2

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Jul 22, 2018 4:29 pm

Note:
Despite Superhero movies prevalence in the theatrical market, the percentage of the general moviegoing audience that reads the comic books is at most 5%. I also think I’m being generous with that number.
Add in the audience for Justice League was a lot smaller than WB had hoped (didn’t even make $250 million domestic) the percentage of people who actually know anything about Aquaman the character is Very very small in the grand scheme of things.
Go talk to the average moviegoer on the street - not the Batman-avatared “All In” sycophants online who proclaim Batman V. Superman is a misunderstood masterpiece & demand for the “Snyder Cut” - “Who is Aquaman?” and the number one answer you’ll get is probably “He’s the due who talks to fish.” The second answer might be “It’s the joke movie from Entourage”. Third will be “It’s the movie with that guy from Games Of Thrones.” Then the fourth answer might be someone who has a vague knowledge of who the character is.

AQUAMAN is going to be a monumental uphill battle for Warner Brothers. It’s got a production budget just south of $200 million (add in the marketing budget & splits with theaters and this is probably another film that needs to make minimum $600 million worldwide to start making a profit), is based off of a character who more than any other recent comic book character in history is viewed by the public as a punchline - even WB in their Teen Titans Go! Movie (which is great bye the way!) mock the character as ridiculous - is a spinoff/sequel to a practically universally hated film - Justice League has a Rottentomatoes score of 40% & an IMDB score of 6.6 which is VERY LOW for a male friendly comic book property - and because it can’t be avoided, it doesn’t help that the movie looks a lot like a white water based knockoff of Black Panther with zero of the social insight.
AND on top of all this Aquaman is being released worldwide during the MOST competitive period of the year for movies - Aquaman opens up against Alita: Battle Angel, a Will Ferrell/John C. Reilly comedy Holmes & Watson, Transfomers spinoff Bumblebee, Disney’s Mary Poppins Returns (Disney has such confidence in the film it’s why Solo: A Star Wars Story wasn’t moved to a December release because they didn’t want to compete) AND the - I predict it’s gonna be the HUGE HIT that will play strong throughout & dominate the holidays- animated Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse will only be a week old at the time and far more family friendly.

Just saying, I hope Warner Brothers has a real bang up marketing strategy set up for Aquaman because this movie has a lot of hurdle to overcome to just break even.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:11 pm

Finally saw Thor Ragarock and I confess I wasn't holding out hope for this one as I found Thor Dark World painful viewing but this was way better than I thought it was going to be. Not to mention it has the rare awesome female villain who isn't a sex object and is actually fun, powerful and has real threat level. Yeah not all the humour landed for me but despite this it was still a really fun film and I think the 80's take was fun in places.

SPOILER: Show
Yes Thors little merry band apart from Lady Sif all get it here...and I hate to say that I didn't care one bit like they were fun in the first Thor film but were dead weight by the second. My only nit pick from the whole film is I wish Thors first line to Valkyrie had been less jokeish and more wow I remember the Valkyrie's I heard they fought in this great battle with my father against a dark force. Because the joke undermines the idea of women in real war time and makes it sound like a one off weird novelty which it isn't in real life but Hollywood is still bloody slow to get this.

I also wish they'd kept in Valkyrie's sexuality but I will say the flash back scene makes it very clear because of how its framed and implies that Valkyrie drinks because her girlfriend and lover died in front of in her battle and she's never come to terms with it and I did really like the fun reserve framing of her being utterly pissed when she captures Thor because female marvel heroes never normally get scenes like this.

Also having seen this I would really like Taika Waititi to replace Gun on Guardians Of The Galaxy 3 because in my view I think he can do a better job of the source material and maybe make Starlord a much more likeable anti hero as I've always struggled with Gun's version.
Last edited by silvermoonlight on Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:05 am, edited 5 times in total.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:06 pm

^I too saw this movie a couple of weeks ago, but didn't say anything because I thought the thread regulars weren't talking about it anymore. This was the second Marvel film I've seen (the first one was Iron man in the theaters), and I thought that I would be lost becuase like the comics they're based on, they're always in the middle of something. I did enjoy the film, and was relieved that the MCU lore didn't get in the way of my enjoyment. Did I miss all the inside jokes and other minaute? Probably, but I'm not worrying about it. I wonder now what would be the next film I should watch?
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:12 pm

After those two the only one left that matters is Black Panther. It actually has something to say & features the best villain in all the films.

Really you could ignore the rest.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:20 am

I would say go back in order and watch them all. But if your determined to only watch random notable ones then all 3 Captain Americas (2 & 3 especially) & Avengers Infinity War.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:08 am

If you're not going to control the sample for your average moviegoer, a lot of them are going to remember Aquaman as the guy on Superfriends.

...who talks to fish.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Tokpile Quohog
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes

•      
  •      

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:43 am

My perspective on Aquaman changed after the justice league cartoon. Dude cut off his own hand to save his kid and got a sick harpoon gun prosthetic.

EDIT: shitty fanboys chased the starfire actor off instagram or whatever social media platform with racist junk. Seriously, comic book fandom has so many shitty members.
TheEvaMonkey: I HATE BEING A FAT CHICK

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:00 pm

View Original PostTokpile Quohog wrote:My perspective on Aquaman changed after the justice league cartoon. Dude cut off his own hand to save his kid and got a sick harpoon gun prosthetic.

EDIT: shitty fanboys chased the starfire actor off instagram or whatever social media platform with racist junk. Seriously, comic book fandom has so many shitty members.

And people wonder why I hate Twitter and Tumblr so much.... :irked:

The only problem I had with the Aquaman trailer was the over use of CGI and I feel like its trying to do a LOTR battle at the end and you have to very good to pull that off in CGI its why the Battle for helm's deep works because its still grounded in some sense of reality but I just wonder if people are just gonna look at Shark and Sea Horse Riders and big fish and just start laughing because its just so out there...like it wouldn't be the first time I've had that happen I still remember a friend dragging me to see Battlefeild Earth and just cracking up in the cinema.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:31 pm

View Original PostTokpile Quohog wrote:EDIT: shitty fanboys chased the starfire actor off instagram or whatever social media platform with racist junk. Seriously, comic book fandom has so many shitty members.

Like, the whole idea of the new Teen Titans movie looks really bad, I cannot deny this, but why do the fanboys always have to use the black girl as the scape goat for all of that and drive her away from online forums that behave like public spaces? If studios acted according to the fans' presumed interests, they'd simply remedy the issue by making an equally bad movie over stuffed with white people.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Tue Jul 24, 2018 3:38 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Like, the whole idea of the new Teen Titans movie looks really bad, I cannot deny this, but why do the fanboys always have to use the black girl as the scape goat for all of that and drive her away from online forums that behave like public spaces? If studios acted according to the fans' presumed interests, they'd simply remedy the issue by making an equally bad movie over stuffed with white people.

That's a really good point its like that old saying don't blame the player, blame the game, so these people should be targeting the studio and directors not the actors in anyway as its not there fault there clearly all unknowns who are trying to pay the bills and put food on the table and attacking the woman of colour does not make you look cool it makes you look like a racist prat.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:31 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Like, the whole idea of the new Teen Titans movie looks really bad, I cannot deny this, but why do the fanboys always have to use the black girl as the scape goat for all of that and drive her away from online forums that behave like public spaces? If studios acted according to the fans' presumed interests, they'd simply remedy the issue by making an equally bad movie over stuffed with white people.

Because they are racists.

A person who complains about an alien in a movie being portrayed by a black actor is racist. They don't even have the "the character his historically white" canard to fall back on. The character is an orange alien from a race of people that come in multiple colors anyway (if I remember right, doesn't Blackfire have radically different coloring?)
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:11 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Because they are racists.

A person who complains about an alien in a movie being portrayed by a black actor is racist. They don't even have the "the character his historically white" canard to fall back on. The character is an orange alien from a race of people that come in multiple colors anyway (if I remember right, doesn't Blackfire have radically different coloring?)

In the comics at least Firestar's skin is orange and Raven's is close to white/grey skin as there both meant to look over worldly also add to that Beast Boy is green and furry and Cyborg is a man a colour so the only canon white guy is Robin. So to make the whole this character should white argument looks so stupid, because if you read between the lines the comic creators wanted the team as deeply diverse and from all walks of life.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:29 am

Not gonna lie, but I kinda hope that Disney rehires James Gunn. It'd be nice to see them fully believe in that "Creep Redeems Himself" arc that they've been producing Gunn's creative leadership in the Guardians movies.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:41 pm

Having learned the details of why and how he was fired, I hope they rehire him, too.
the prophecy is true

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:46 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:but why do the fanboys always have to use the black girl as the scape goat for all of that

I fully denounce & despise the harassment.
That being said the reasons she is being focused on are...
1.) Her features are rather old and strong for Starfire who traditionally is severely soft faced & adorable.
2.) Her outfit design is arguably the most divergent from the character, the cheapest looking and unquestionably the biggest disappointment visually which is genuinely baffling considering how nearly perfect & well crafted Robin, Hawk & Dove look. The wig especially is trash.
Like would the following in dark crimson (and longer) really have been that bloody hard?

3.) Her getup GENUINELY looks weirdly prostitute-ish. Not because of the cleavage because believe me I strongly want Starfire to be sexualized but because of the fake ass wig, the random fur coat, the lack of ANYTHING that makes her look alien or unique body wise, outfit wise or technology wise.

90% of the complaints would stop if they just officially state that she will get a faithful design later on and the CGI isn't done or something. The fact that they haven't suggest this is really what they intended to give us. :facepalm:

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:35 am

I don't know if this has been mentioned here yet, but the new trailer for Sony's Venom movie dropped two days ago.
https://deadline.com/2018/07/venom-trai ... 202437182/

On the one hand, it's great to have a full look at the Symbiote for the first time and see what it can do. I was afraid they weren't going to show Venom actually doing much in this movie, but it seems those fears have been put to rest. On the other hand, hearing Tom Hardy say "like a turd in the wind" kind of works against the whole horror angle they seem to have been going for.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:47 am

I hope this situation is essentially the opposite of Suicide Squad and the suits brought in a trailer editing company to make advertisements for the film that portray it as a serious action-horror with themes of battling one's inner demons, when it's actually a ludicrous horror comedy about an incompetent "reporter" and an alien slime trying desperately to be a superhero and spectacularly failing.
the prophecy is true

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:02 pm

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/avengers ... re-a162793

The Oscars are undergoing some major changes as it's been announced today that the awards ceremony will now run for three hours with many categories presented in commercial breaks and highlights from those then shown later in the show. That's no big deal, right? Sure, it's a departure from what we're used to but is what many award shows do and a clever way to combat rating woes.

Here's where things get really interesting, though; according to an official statement, the Academy "will create a new category for outstanding achievement in popular film." In other words, "popular" movies like Avengers: Infinity War, Star Wars: The Last Jedi, and, uh, Fast and Furious will finally be acknowledged but as good as it will be to see movies like that win an Oscar, there is a catch of sorts.

Doing this essentially allows the Oscars to remain as pretentious as ever, with a release like Black Panther forced out of the "Best Picture" category because they simply don't want to recognise a mainstream movie like that (which has just as much artistic merit as many of the other nominated movies no one cares about or sees). So, as progressive as this sounds on the surface, it really isn't.

Honestly, the whole thing feels pretty condescending but it will be fun to see how the Academy attempts to figure out what gets nominated (there's already a lot of backlash on social media, so they'll have to give it some thought). What do you guys think? As always, share your thoughts below.
the prophecy is true

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:04 pm

Fuck the Oscars.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:30 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Fuck the Oscars.

What he said, there meaningless there just picked based on what and who is popular in the moment (Hence why Jennifer Lawrence has one even though in my view she's not that great an actor) not on what's good or worthy. Though I do believe Del Toro really deserved one last year I still couldn't help but feel it was a Oscar's play for look at us we are giving out now based on diversity we've changed now we hope you've all forgotten Harvey the rapist scum bag who we still have not locked up yet...
Last edited by silvermoonlight on Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Film and Video”