Superhero/Comic Based Films & Tv - Vol.2

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Tokpile Quohog
Marquis Tokpile de Boîtes

Re: Comic Books!

•      
  •      

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:51 am

Trailer for new Titans TV show is out.
https://youtu.be/-PPofXaJ4go

Jesus, it looks bad. The staff behind this has to be a bunch of angsty teenagers right and this is what they think is cool?
I'm pretty sure the writing staff had no idea there were multiple robins and just though Jason Todd was the coolest and edgiest and just renamed him Dick Grayson.

That and presenting Raven as some sort of damsel in distress who needs Robin's help with her powers? Utterly ridiculous. Oh, and Starfire better still be the Tamaran princess, but I'm expecting the show to present her as just another metahuman whose entire arc will be about learning to deal with her newfound powers (like we haven't seen enough of that with every other superhuman show). I swear, the whole Synderverse thing is the worst thing to happen to live-action comic adaptations.
TheEvaMonkey: I HATE BEING A FAT CHICK

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Re: Superhero/Comic Based Films & Tv - Vol.2

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:00 pm

They have looked the "Make everything broody and in the rain and only look vaguely like an actual comic book because we're afraid of bright colors and wild designs" impulses of the DCCU in the eye and said "no", and so I say "yes".
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:50 pm

View Original PostTokpile Quohog wrote:Trailer for new Titans TV show is out.
https://youtu.be/-PPofXaJ4go

Jesus, it looks bad. The staff behind this has to be a bunch of angsty teenagers right and this is what they think is cool?
I'm pretty sure the writing staff had no idea there were multiple robins and just though Jason Todd was the coolest and edgiest and just renamed him Dick Grayson.

That and presenting Raven as some sort of damsel in distress who needs Robin's help with her powers? Utterly ridiculous. Oh, and Starfire better still be the Tamaran princess, but I'm expecting the show to present her as just another metahuman whose entire arc will be about learning to deal with her newfound powers (like we haven't seen enough of that with every other superhuman show). I swear, the whole Synderverse thing is the worst thing to happen to live-action comic adaptations.

I was gonna bring this up but you've beaten me to the post, also the original teen titans cartoon was amazing because though it was dark it knew how to be funny this just looks like a bad re-rash of Xmen first class but with Gothem series shade and I think the Raven thing is an epic fail because like Starfire she doesn't fit in and it has nothing to do with being an angsts emo it's that she has incredibly dark power since she's half demon and has to keep it tightly wrapped and she is not looking for a saviour in fact she doesn't even want to be part of the group at the start and she joins because Starfire bring her in she's not interested in the others at all and distances herself from them.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Tokpile Quohog

•      
  •      

Postby Tokpile Quohog » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:54 pm

I approve of black manta's helmet, but I'm not fond of all the body armor suit. It's not directly comparable, but I like the look he had in the DC animated movies where his helmet was the only tech-looking thing on his costume.

Orm looks fine except the chin-guard thing on his helmet. It doesn't look like he can open his mouth since the chin looks like a solid piece extending from the mask.
TheEvaMonkey: I HATE BEING A FAT CHICK

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:54 pm

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:I was gonna bring this up but you've beaten me to the post, also the original teen titans cartoon was amazing because though it was dark it knew how to be funny this just looks like a bad re-rash of Xmen first class but with Gothem series shade and I think the Raven thing is an epic fail because like Starfire she doesn't fit in and it has nothing to do with being an angsts emo it's that she has incredibly dark power since she's half demon and has to keep it tightly wrapped and she is not looking for a saviour in fact she doesn't even want to be part of the group at the start and she joins because Starfire bring her in she's not interested in the others at all and distances herself from them.

Still better than Teen Titans Go!
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:25 pm

Alice Eve (star trek into darkness) confirmed she is playing Typhoid Mary in Iron Fist Season 2.
Please god let this season be a vast improvement over the last & not waste her. Fairly Underrated actress IMO. I recommend Cold comes the night with her & Bryan Cranston.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:14 am

View Original PostEl Squibbonator wrote:Still better than Teen Titans Go!

I disagree Teen Titan Go is utterly stupid but it still knows who its character are there history ect and does not try to change them or lessen the characters, in the trailer on the other hand these are not the characters these are people dressing like them and acting very out of character and it plays off more like bad fanfction.
Last edited by silvermoonlight on Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:04 pm

Wow....

James Gunn was just fired from Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 because the Pizzagate guy resurfaced offensive/bad taste old tweets of Gunn's circa 2008.
The Pepe & Batman avatar crowds will be very happy.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/james-gunn-exits-guardians-galaxy-vol-3-1128786

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:25 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Wow....

James Gunn was just fired from Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 because the Pizzagate guy resurfaced offensive/bad taste old tweets of Gunn's circa 2008.
The Pepe & Batman avatar crowds will be very happy.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/james-gunn-exits-guardians-galaxy-vol-3-1128786

I did wonder if this was going to happen because before Gun was famous he wrote this weird at list on superheroes sex post and kind of stated that gay female heroes just need a penis to make them straight...that did not go down well, so this coming up does not surprise me in the slightest as I think after he got away with his first sex poll he proberbly thought he was untouchable.

https://www.themarysue.com/james-gunnsuperhero-sex-post/
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/11/29/james-gunn-prepares-fao/

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:45 pm

I say this as someone who doesn't think there was anything wrong with the superhero sex poll thing beyond being overly graphic in his commentary.

The tweets are REALLY fucking bad man.

I was about to get pretty pissed off as I love the Guardians films but then I actually saw the tweets...

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:58 pm

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:I say this as someone who doesn't think there was anything wrong with the superhero sex poll thing beyond being overly graphic in his commentary.

The tweets are REALLY fucking bad man.

I was about to get pretty pissed off as I love the Guardians films but then I actually saw the tweets...

I think with the super hero sex thing it something that shouldn't have been public as in my view its fine to have thoughts and ideas on heroes but normally you pass these kinds of lists around between your closest friends and don't post in an online stadium for everyone to read. Also the timing of that list did not help matters as he was going to direct the first guardians of the galaxy.

I just read those tweets myself...I have no words...

SPOILER: Show

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:52 pm

Maybe it's my migraine talking, but these tweets aren't that bad. These are fictitious characters, and the comic books shave done much worse to these illustrations with backstories than anything James Gunn can or has tweeted about. Really, though, I guess it all has to do with how closely you relate to the characters to begin with. You can joke about Batwoman in a sexual manner all day long and I couldn't care less, but if you do the same with any Ghibli girl and my blood will boil, so I guess I'm no one who should talk about this one way or the other.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:51 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Maybe it's my migraine talking, but these tweets aren't that bad. These are fictitious characters, and the comic books shave done much worse to these illustrations with backstories than anything James Gunn can or has tweeted about. Really, though, I guess it all has to do with how closely you relate to the characters to begin with. You can joke about Batwoman in a sexual manner all day long and I couldn't care less, but if you do the same with any Ghibli girl and my blood will boil, so I guess I'm no one who should talk about this one way or the other.

The superhero sex stuff was just some controversy from years back. That wasn't what he was fired over, this is...

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:26 pm

Oh, fuck.

Shit.

Damn.

Jesus Christ.

What the Hell, Gunn? What the Hell? Like, I know you got your start at Troma and your sense of humor is very weird (Slither will always be one of my faves), but... Maybe not on Twitter where context is weird and malleable? And loose?

It's so 13-year-old Edge Lord, too. Gross.

God Almighty....

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:56 pm

Glass full trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95ghQs5AmNk

Haven't seen Split yet but this looks like a great follow up for Unbreakable.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:43 pm

Shazam
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go6GEIrcvFY
Meh...

Aquaman
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDkg3h8PCVU
Gorgeous. CGI looks like a notable improvement over previous Dceu Film & I say that as someone who was more forgiving then others on Doomsday\Steppenwolf's renderings.
Tone looks about perfect. Manta looks perfect.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:13 pm

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:Shazam
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=go6GEIrcvFY
Meh...

A kid being a superhero that actually acts like a superhero. Bright colors. Costume right from the comic. Ironic tone.

Aquaman
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDkg3h8PCVU
Gorgeous. CGI looks like a notable improvement over previous Dceu Film & I say that as someone who was more forgiving then others on Doomsday\Steppenwolf's renderings.
Tone looks about perfect. Manta looks perfect.

IT'S DARK IT'S RAINING AND MY PARENTS ARE DEAAAAD

(Actually it doesn't look that bad but seriously did they have to lead with that? Also I hope that narration is not in the movie and redheaded love interest lady spends most of it in civvies and not that absurd outfit. You'd think Atlanteans of all people would invent clothes that don't shrink in the wash.)

Oh wait, it has people riding sharks into battle. All is forgiven.

Edit: Also in case someone is confused, I'm not calling out Meera's outfit for being skintight and form fitting. I'm calling it out for the boob cutout that looks dumb and the fact that it just looks so tight she wouldn't be able to breathe. There are lots of equally form fitting/revealing costumes in these movies that look fine. It's not a bad idea it's poor execution.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Jul 21, 2018 7:25 pm

Aquaman looks like over produced garbage. Will probably open big & then drop like a stone when people decide to go see good movies over the Christmas holidays.

Shazam actually looks enjoyable & good be a surprise winner like Wonder Woman.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:59 pm

Yeah but the dudes ride sharks. BvS would have been redeemed hat Batman ridden a shark into battle.

I'd be skeptical about opening big and dropping off. I think Solo might be a trend setter as far as it comes to these brands. People aren't trusting of them and that trailer... well just like I said, it's dark, raining, and my parents are dead. Plus I expect that the Internet and every blog and critic will be frothing at the mouth to denounce it, and that did hurt Solo. I'd bet my bottom dollar that at least one film critic is scribbling fish puns for their epic teardown of Aquaman already.

Wonder Woman had a lot going for her. She'd never had a movie before, but is a well known character. Most people are probably familiar with her in some form without reading comic books. It was film helmed by a woman with an all star cast of well known actresses. Wonder Woman was the only part of Batman vs Superman that people came out of the theater hoping to see more of.

Aquaman... is the guy that talks to fish. They already fucking mocked the fish telepathy power in his debut movie. He's a joke character and the only appeal this movie has is that the leads are both smoking hot.

I have to say I'm not expecting it to be very good and I'm not going to bother with opening night or anything. I'll movie pass it a couple of weeks later.
the prophecy is true

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:44 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:1- well just like I said, it's dark, raining, and my parents are dead.

2 - Aquaman... is the guy that talks to fish. They already fucking mocked the fish telepathy power in his debut movie. He's a joke character and the only appeal this movie has is that the leads are both smoking hot.

1 - His actual dialogue was hopeful with the "life brings people together line" and his dad isn't dead. You see him in the car when the battleship is overturned by the wave and then again standing with Arthur & Mera after surviving it.

2 - I think plenty of people are wise to that being bull at this point. His highly acclaimed new 52 comic run has delivered good word of mouth and plenty of badass competent moments that have been passed around the internet for casuals to see.

Also Mera's cleavage & perfect & faithful to the comics.

It's a good middle ground between the prudish-ness of the modern mcu & the semi trashy ogling of Suicide Squad.
Not a fan of the octagon pattern on it, seems cheaper then the precise carved scales on her Justice League outfit but it's a minor issue.

Return to “Film and Video”