Best Pair: What Eva Characters Do You Ship?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator
User avatar
Age: 22
Posts: 2359
Joined: Dec 03, 2017
Location: vtuber hell
Gender: Male

Re: Best Pair: What Eva Characters Do You Ship?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Blockio » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:04 pm

View Original Postorcot wrote:That's okay that's anno's fetish I think.

That's pretty fucked up talking about real people like this completely without basis. In fact, I'd even go as far as calling it slander
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

orcot
Sachiel
Sachiel
User avatar
Posts: 221
Joined: Jul 01, 2020

Re: Best Pair: What Eva Characters Do You Ship?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby orcot » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:21 am

That's pretty fucked up talking about real people like this completely without basis. In fact, I'd even go as far as calling it slander

Isn't he signing off on most of the merchandise? And all of the fan service inside eva he signed off on that to. Clearly Anno should be okay with it. Clearly anno's intent is to be somewhat uncomfortable whilst watching eva (it's that sort of show) but this tought process shouldn't bother him or anyone else.

PS I always love our conversations so much content comming from your side, you might aswel call the entire thread a affront to anno's work
So Blockio what do you ship (I dare not look into your content history)

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator
User avatar
Age: 22
Posts: 2359
Joined: Dec 03, 2017
Location: vtuber hell
Gender: Male

Re: Best Pair: What Eva Characters Do You Ship?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Blockio » Thu Oct 01, 2020 8:40 am

View Original Postorcot wrote:Isn't he signing off on most of the merchandise? And all of the fan service inside eva he signed off on that to. Clearly Anno should be okay with it. Clearly anno's intent is to be somewhat uncomfortable whilst watching eva (it's that sort of show) but this tought process shouldn't bother him or anyone else.

There is a stark difference between someone not objecting to something, and having that "be their fetish", even assuming that Anno personally greenlights ever bit of merch that is released, which I highly doubt, because if you look at the metric fuckton of Eva merch out there, the man wouldn't exactly get to do much else in his day.

So Blockio what do you ship (I dare not look into your content history)

I do not ship anyone in Eva, both because the entire appeal of shipping completely escapes me, and because most of the cast is firmly underage
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

orcot
Sachiel
Sachiel
User avatar
Posts: 221
Joined: Jul 01, 2020

Re: Best Pair: What Eva Characters Do You Ship?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby orcot » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:47 am

I do not ship anyone in Eva, both because the entire appeal of shipping completely escapes me, and because most of the cast is firmly underage

Maybe under those limitations you shouldn't post in this particulairy thread here.
That said it's basicly fine if both parties are of the same age category and you do not actualy suggest the underaged have sex. Also at least for me my last pitch was:
-gendo and ritsuko who are middle aged adults (exploring their relation in a little more depth could have helped the story)
- Leliel and Yui look they are celestiel beings and would have given a cleaner way for Yui to obtain a S2 engine it also offers a opportunity for backlore on lilith and adam and how lilith arrived on earth etc. (Shinji and kaworu sort of have a thing and Shinji and Rei have sort of thing so if it worked 2 times why not 3)
- then theirs Rei and kensuke (that focuses more on giving Rei a foster family and this would have helped her psychologically) this would not have worked well in the series as it eats at Rei's problems (making her more human) but allows for Rei to interact trough a proxy and can therefore remain more ?weird? socially awkward the whole the class is scared of Rei doesn't really work well I think . (a crude example would be frenchie and the female).
I still believe when Rei reponded on Asuka's friend request with only if I'm ordered to, that this was a lie. Had Rei been ordered to she would have flapped around like a fish and nothing would have come from it as Rei is unable to communicate in this way similar Rei's dinner party as portrayed it the movie should have been inpossible for Rei. Giving these vurnabilities would have made her character both more interesting and more deeply unhappy

There is a stark difference between someone not objecting to something, and having that "be their fetish", even assuming that Anno personally greenlights ever bit of merch that is released, which I highly doubt, because if you look at the metric fuckton of Eva merch out there, the man wouldn't exactly get to do much else in his day.

Evangelion is a brand and sex sells, anno focusses heavily on the underage girls, you can see this most clearly in the last movie with the 14 year time jump, why was that necesairy you could have a 28 year Asuka and a 28 year old Rei ?Q?
But no he prefered to make them creepy weird midgets in stead but Now they are of age. Ignoring the point of the timejump was even necesairy Asuka when last seen was in stasis afther her ride in bardiel, she could have been kept like that only regaining conscience when the plot demanded her intervention, but no she's still looks 14 but now is a adult. meanwhile Rei is a special case she can be both ?7?; 14 and 28 and the same time, but why they've stopped her from aging?

And that's on anno

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator
User avatar
Age: 22
Posts: 2359
Joined: Dec 03, 2017
Location: vtuber hell
Gender: Male

Re: Best Pair: What Eva Characters Do You Ship?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Blockio » Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:44 pm

How about you don't try to gatekeep who gets to post in what thread?
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

orcot
Sachiel
Sachiel
User avatar
Posts: 221
Joined: Jul 01, 2020

Re: Best Pair: What Eva Characters Do You Ship?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby orcot » Thu Oct 01, 2020 2:19 pm

How about you don't try to gatekeep who gets to post in what thread?

I invite you to add content, if you find yourself unable to provide it move on to a other thread where you do believe you can add content. If you do believe you have something to say abouth the subject now or in the future please do

Melkor
Sachiel
Sachiel
User avatar
Age: 25
Posts: 209
Joined: Jan 13, 2019
Location: United States
Gender: Male

Re: Best Pair: What Eva Characters Do You Ship?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Melkor » Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:46 pm

View Original Postorcot wrote:Evangelion is a brand and sex sells, anno focusses heavily on the underage girls, you can see this most clearly in the last movie with the 14 year time jump, why was that necesairy you could have a 28 year Asuka and a 28 year old Rei ?Q?
But no he prefered to make them creepy weird midgets in stead but Now they are of age. Ignoring the point of the timejump was even necesairy Asuka when last seen was in stasis afther her ride in bardiel, she could have been kept like that only regaining conscience when the plot demanded her intervention, but no she's still looks 14 but now is a adult. meanwhile Rei is a special case she can be both ?7?; 14 and 28 and the same time, but why they've stopped her from aging?


I definitely agree with you there. If there's one thing from 3.0 that I felt was a bit unnecessary it was the 14 year time skip. To me that whole "curse of Eva" explanation the movie gave us just felt like an obvious excuse to keep the characters the same age for the purposes of merchandise. Even though we're told they're older, Asuka and Mari don't really seem to act all that much different from how they were when we last saw them. It's like how an anime would have a loli character that's supposedly 3000 years old, but have her still acting like a child. You're not fooling anybody. If you're going to have such a huge amount of time pass in a story, then actually have the character's ages and appearance reflect it. Don't half-ass it. Either fully commit to a time-skip by having them age like everyone else, or don't do a time skip at all. I kind of get the feeling that Anno originally did want to age them up, but the people in the merchandising department convinced him not to because having their appearances change too drastically might affect merchandise sales, so they came to a compromise, leading to the "they're older but not really" situation we got with the movie.

orcot
Sachiel
Sachiel
User avatar
Posts: 221
Joined: Jul 01, 2020

Re: Best Pair: What Eva Characters Do You Ship?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby orcot » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:54 pm

I kind of get the feeling that Anno originally did want to age them up, but the people in the merchandising department convinced him not to because having their appearances change too drastically might affect merchandise sales, so they came to a compromise, leading to the "they're older but not really" situation we got with the movie.

I highly doubt that look at transformers where the same characters get regular updates. Updating your character looks has always been used to increase sales.
Eva is also somewhat unique (as a series) in that it allows for alternative realities where the timejump never happened allowing reuse of the older models if necesairly.
I also don't like that Asuka lost a eye, as the eye damage is usually associated with Rei (Asuka usually looses her arms or her head). The damage is also superficial, as Asuka never shows any depth perception problems, nausea or other problems with her sight also she would have gotten a glass eye in those 14 years. If you want to inflict body horror on her chop off both of her arms (that would piss her off). Pixar did it better with Hiccup (how to train your dragons)who lost a foot and handled it honnestly pretty well.

I believe they where actual plans for these body horrors as we see as eva unit 05 has no legs (more manageable than having no arms) or unit 08 who didn't have any arms. They decided against mutulating Asuka to much but kept the concept to incorperate on eva's. (somewhere in gainax theirs probably concept art of Asuka without arms or legs both rejected).

Lastly you can not ignore that a lot of the merch beeing sold of eva are in pachinko machines (a gambling device forbiden under ?16?18?) having characters old enough to actualy play the (gambling) game would have made it easier to sell.

My bet, it was the merchandising department pushing anno for the timejump and anno resisting it.

FelipeFritschF
Matarael
Matarael
Age: 24
Posts: 560
Joined: Sep 12, 2014
Location: Brazil
Gender: Male

Re: Best Pair: What Eva Characters Do You Ship?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby FelipeFritschF » Sat Oct 03, 2020 12:53 am

I've added an easter egg someone pointed out on EGFD a while ago:

https://wiki.evageeks.org/Theory_and_An ... Episode_26

This scene even features an easter egg echoing the old shoujo manga Anno likes: one of the desks features a drawing of an umbrella with Asuka and Shinji's names written on them. This is an old reference to someone being paired up as a couple. It's similar to writing a heart shape with "Asuka+Shinji" inside it. Whose pupil this is written on isn't made obvious, though it also has "anta baka" written underneath, and the umbrella is not only "divided", but it's scribbled all over. There's another "how lewd!" comment, also scribbled over. This could have been made by Touji and/or Kensuke poking fun at the "married couple" as they do early in other episodes, with Asuka taking notice of it and scribbling over it, or Asuka simply wrote this herself, only to immediately regret it, and try to erase it, and calling herself an idiot for doing so, in her usual prideful tsundere manner, with her classmates also taking notice later. It's unlikely Shinji did it himself, as he's, of course, shy about expressing his feelings.


Image

orcot
Sachiel
Sachiel
User avatar
Posts: 221
Joined: Jul 01, 2020

Re: Best Pair: What Eva Characters Do You Ship?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby orcot » Sat Oct 03, 2020 10:41 am

okay centerfold big letters above the umbrella: あんた anta ; ばか baka seems right (why is the last letter more of a p?

However Asuka's name is アスカ acording to the wiki but あすか is pushed trough google translate (langley is ラングレー)
Shinji ikari name seems to be 碇 シンジ the last 3 characters represent ikari
I can not find their names in this text ( Ayanami is 綾波 it's not that either)

Are you sure? It does seem eva style animated and the anta baka is iconic

dzzthink
Lilith
User avatar
Posts: 133
Joined: Aug 23, 2020
Gender: Male

Re: Best Pair: What Eva Characters Do You Ship?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby dzzthink » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:15 am

Asuka's name in kanji alphabet is 明日香
Shinji is 碇(maybe 碇真嗣 but I'm not sure)

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland
User avatar
Age: 74
Posts: 10825
Joined: Nov 18, 2012
Location: Oxford, UK
Contact:

Re: Best Pair: What Eva Characters Do You Ship?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby pwhodges » Sun Oct 04, 2020 8:14 am

碇 is Ikari
碇真嗣 is Ikari Shinji

I find it interesting that the drawing puts Ikari (surname) alongside Asuka (personal name).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

YTPrenewed
Embryo
Posts: 27
Joined: Oct 04, 2020
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby YTPrenewed » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:41 pm

View Original PostXanatose wrote:Shinji x all of the women! (it worked for Love Hina?)

Haven't watched that show yet, but in real life, polyamory requires people who can handle their jealousy. Asuka, for comparison, can't even picture imagined "secret meetings" between Shinji and Rei without getting angry. Actual polyamory could probably have made jealousy worse in that case. (EDIT: Oh, and the whole "if you can't be all mine, then I don't need you" line from EoE, that too.)

Though honestly, there's no relationships (or "potential" relationships) in this show that aren't at least somewhat problematic.

Shinji/Rei? She's cute, but he didn't know she was
SPOILER: Show
a clone of his dead mother
when he complimented her on how "motherly" she was. Best to keep it platonic.

Shinji/Misato? There's the age gap thing, the part about him being under her authority, etc... not exactly the kind of thing one should be encouraging.

Shinji/Asuka? It's... somewhat better, if only for avoiding the implications of Shinji/Rei and Shinji/Misato, but raises its own issues. She borders on verbally abusive, and he's emotionally frail. I can vaguely see some appeal of the fantasy where love cures their issues, but in real life... its effectiveness is rather disputed. Even if it weren't, I'm not sure whether someone like Shinji would have considered it even worth it, even if he has to be around her all the time anyway.

Kaji/Misato seems a bit closer-to-normal, and they can handle their emotions (relatively) better, but of course he's Han-Solo-level aggressive (and then some) about how he pursues a woman who he assumed was in denial about her attraction to him. Just because he happened to be right doesn't mean his aggressiveness was justified. Just because your stray bullets didn't hit anyone doesn't mean celebratory gunfire was a good idea.

. . .

EDIT: Revisiting this post a few months later I notice I forgot to mention the difference between how good a relationship "was" and how good it had "potential" to be. Shinji/Asuka, however tragically it may have ended, still seemed like it was "set up" to look like it could work, if only for how much they superficially looked like a cute couple, let alone the way episodes 9 and 10 would, in a more optimistic anime, have foreshadowed an actual relationship. I also get that there are several moments in which Shinji was plainly the one in the wrong (especially in EoE) but in the main show itself Asuka seemed to be the worse of the two more often than not.
Last edited by YTPrenewed on Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:43 am, edited 8 times in total.

orcot
Sachiel
Sachiel
User avatar
Posts: 221
Joined: Jul 01, 2020

Re: Best Pair: What Eva Characters Do You Ship?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby orcot » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:34 pm

when he complimented her on how "motherly" she was. Best to keep it platonic.

Funny thing abouth that, that would make most girls blush like Rei did, however Rei made a poem abouth a girls that never bleeds. If Rei is infertile and has issues with that she would't have blushed and answered cruder like thanks... You to or something along the lines.

Shinji/Asuka? It's... relatively better, if only for avoiding the implications of Shinji/Rei and Shinji/Misato, but raises its own issues. She is verbally abusive to someone emotionally frail

Like all eva characters she is difficult to communicate to

Kaji/Misato seems a bit closer-to-normal, and they can handle their emotions (relatively) better, but of course he's Han-Solo-level aggressive (and then some) about how he pursues a woman who he assumed was in denial about her attraction to him. Just because he was vindicated doesn't make his aggressiveness justified. Just because your stray bullets didn't hit anyone doesn't mean celebratory gunfire was a good idea.

Kaji is definitly unprofesional at times but so is Misato I give him a pass because he knows Misato to well. also Misato's reaon for breaking up with him he remined her to much of her dad when clearly she wanted a career herself and also resembles her dad is kind of weird.

YTPrenewed
Embryo
Posts: 27
Joined: Oct 04, 2020
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Best Pair: What Eva Characters Do You Ship?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby YTPrenewed » Wed Oct 07, 2020 8:54 am

I assume the problem wasn't her dad "having" a career so much as spending so much time at work specifically to avoid his family. At least, in her interpretation of events, though perhaps a job like his would make him feel compelled to give it his all anyway. Either way, it still leaves behind the question of why incompatibility in how much time they want to spend together wasn't addressed before they got married.

orcot
Sachiel
Sachiel
User avatar
Posts: 221
Joined: Jul 01, 2020

Re: Best Pair: What Eva Characters Do You Ship?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby orcot » Wed Oct 07, 2020 10:25 am

View Original PostYTPrenewed wrote:I assume the problem wasn't her dad "having" a career so much as spending so much time at work specifically to avoid his family. At least, in her interpretation of events, though perhaps a job like his would make him feel compelled to give it his all anyway. Either way, it still leaves behind the question of why incompatibility in how much time they want to spend together wasn't addressed before they got married.

I remember she explains it somewhat when Kaji carries her away from the wedding, she also sort of explains it in episode 25-26 I would need to rewatch but am occupied at the moment.

YTPrenewed
Embryo
Posts: 27
Joined: Oct 04, 2020
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Best Pair: What Eva Characters Do You Ship?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby YTPrenewed » Wed Oct 07, 2020 3:21 pm

View Original Postorcot wrote:I remember she explains it somewhat when Kaji carries her away from the wedding, she also sort of explains it in episode 25-26 I would need to rewatch but am occupied at the moment.

I rewatched those scenes to find out, but I found nothing about why her father and mother never resolved the "how much time they plan to spend together" issue before tying the knot.

To be fair, recent events have shown that such plans can be interrupted. Man, that show was prescient in way too many ways...

silvermoonlight
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator
User avatar
Posts: 1902
Joined: Jun 19, 2016
Location: UK
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: Best Pair: What Eva Characters Do You Ship?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby silvermoonlight » Thu Oct 08, 2020 9:59 am

orcot wrote:
Evangelion is a brand and sex sells, anno focusses heavily on the underage girls, you can see this most clearly in the last movie with the 14 year time jump, why was that necesairy you could have a 28 year Asuka and a 28 year old Rei ?Q?
But no he prefered to make them creepy weird midgets in stead but Now they are of age. Ignoring the point of the timejump was even necesairy Asuka when last seen was in stasis afther her ride in bardiel, she could have been kept like that only regaining conscience when the plot demanded her intervention, but no she's still looks 14 but now is a adult. meanwhile Rei is a special case she can be both ?7?; 14 and 28 and the same time, but why they've stopped her from aging?


I hated this as well as I would have loved to have seen adult versions of the characters as to me it would have opened up new avenues in terms of merchandise and manga's as to me it's the weak creepy point of 3.33 and I've mentioned in other threads the real world issues it would cause with other Nerv bases. Also, adult Shinji unfrozen in time might have given a more interesting perspective on the story telling since as an adult people will no longer let you off because you're a child so certain issue you can't get away with and seeing them all as adults could have been fascinating.

Though my view is very few series or films can pull of time jumps if it's done wrong it can jar and alienate the audience and at worst tank the series or film and to me Anno leaving out the flashbacks of what had happened was really lazy story telling but at this point I feel he's not in to the rebuild series in the way he was in the 90's series in terms of character growth, and he's much more concerned with visuals.
Last edited by silvermoonlight on Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

BusterMachine4
Sandalphon
Sandalphon
User avatar
Age: 16
Posts: 542
Joined: Oct 05, 2020
Location: United States
Gender: Male

Re: Best Pair: What Eva Characters Do You Ship?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby BusterMachine4 » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:14 am

Yeah, I don't really like the whole "curse of the Eva" thing either. It just feels like an excuse to do a dramatic 14 year time skip, while still keeping the pilots young and marketable. I remember some YouTube video tried to justify it as a metaphor for how fans can't move on from these characters, but that argument didn't really make sense to me. If you want to criticize people for being overly attached to your characters, I think it would actually be a better idea to shock your fans by showing those characters in a completely different way.

silvermoonlight
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator
User avatar
Posts: 1902
Joined: Jun 19, 2016
Location: UK
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: Best Pair: What Eva Characters Do You Ship?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby silvermoonlight » Thu Oct 08, 2020 10:38 am

View Original PostBusterMachine4 wrote:Yeah, I don't really like the whole "curse of the Eva" thing either. It just feels like an excuse to do a dramatic 14 year time skip, while still keeping the pilots young and marketable. I remember some YouTube video tried to justify it as a metaphor for how fans can't move on from these characters, but that argument didn't really make sense to me. If you want to criticize people for being overly attached to your characters, I think it would actually be a better idea to shock your fans by showing those characters in a completely different way.


I agree ^_^

The irony of that is I watched the series in my early teens like nineteen but I didn't get it till the rewatch in my thirties, so if adult Shinji had walked out along with the adult versions I would have viewed as them growing up like I did and growing with me. On another note most fanfiction have to age them up to 16/18 anyway in general writing and don't write them at 13/14 so it's not like the audience couldn't grasp the concept. It's also in one of the spin off manga's as Angelic Days has them as adults its very small chapter, but they're drawn aged up but it is the only manga showing this and I've never heard anyone complain about it they even had Rei grow her hair out in that version.

SPOILER: Show
Image


Edit hope this is working now. ^_^
Last edited by silvermoonlight on Fri Oct 09, 2020 4:21 am, edited 5 times in total.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3


Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest