Godzilla & Kaiju General!

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: Godzilla & Kaiju General!

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:44 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:I don’t get this “next season” business. Didn’t Jet Jaguar destroy Godzilla and all of the red dust? How can there be a next season when the source of all the monsters is gone (and in a closed temporal loop, no less)? I know we got the teaser at the end, but that honestly seems like a setup for a completely different show. I don’t see how Godzilla himself can have anything to do with it.

I could be wrong, but I assumed the other dimensional Godzilla came about through them experimenting on the bones and the future computer and is not part of that universe. The bones on the other hand belong to their universe and mean another could be out there.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:50 pm

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:
View Original PostBagheera#926449 wrote:I don’t get this “next season” business. Didn’t Jet Jaguar destroy Godzilla and all of the red dust? How can there be a next season when the source of all the monsters is gone (and in a closed temporal loop, no less)? I know we got the teaser at the end, but that honestly seems like a setup for a completely different show. I don’t see how Godzilla himself can have anything to do with it.

I could be wrong, but I assumed the other dimensional Godzilla came about through them experimenting on the bones and the future computer and is not part of that universe. The bones on the other hand belong to their universe and mean more another could be out there.

Interesting! I had not considered that possibility, but you make a good point. I'm a little more open to the idea of a second season now.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:55 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Interesting! I had not considered that possibility, but you make a good point. I'm a little more open to the idea of a second season now.

If this plays out the way I think it will, the other dimension opening could awaken all of the Godzilla monsters in the normal universe from slumber and the reality is the catastrophe has not been averted it's just been shifted in time and all bets are off, and the first season was the calm before the true storm. Also, Jet now being out means Mecha will now take his place as humanity's last hope.

Edit: This could also be a time loop, like the Godzilla that showed up in singular could be from the future where humanity has failed and is desperate, so they sent it back and all the other monsters in time for their ancestors to deal with. The one that will now show up could be one of the early Godzilla, who the doctor now wants to kill using Mecha and the reason he trapped himself in the computer was to learn how to kill Godzilla's from the future people, but him killing the younger generation Godzilla means the loop won't complete, and it needs to complete and go full circle or there will be timeline consequences.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:57 am

@Bagheera: The original was deader than dead in 1954 when Dr. Serizawa used the Oxygen Destroyer, but that never stopped other members of the same species from turning up and doing what they did best.

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:Edit: This could also be a time loop, like the Godzilla that showed up in singular could be from the future where humanity has failed and is desperate, so they sent it back and all the other monsters in time for their ancestors to deal with. The one that will now show up could be one of the early Godzilla, who the doctor now wants to kill using Mecha and the reason he trapped himself in the computer was to learn how to kill Godzilla's from the future people, but him killing the younger generation Godzilla means the loop won't complete, and it needs to complete and go full circle or there will be timeline consequences.

Given the nature of the time looping in this series, this idea sounds very plausible indeed!

And don't forget the moths that turned up. That, to me, is a straight-up indication that Mothra herself is heading this way.

With all the talk about singular points and the catastrophe, I'm guessing that they're going to discover that they've ignored the tendency for singular points to cross planetary ecosystems and become star-system wide problems, and that will be a prelude to the Singular Point version of the interplanetary three-headed dragon King Ghidorah to show up and challenge Earth's apex archetype-based predator Godzilla.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

EvaChero
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvaChero » Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:06 am

finished GSP and it was quite a slog ( had to re watch a few eps because...well it was late at night and the jargon tended to lull me to sleep :D )

I like it, can't say I love it yet. This initial season still feels very much like an introduction so I expect a lot more "fun" season 2.

SPOILER: Show
I'm thinking the temporary victory only foreshadows a much bigger catastrophe down the line, one for which there won't be
any help from the future. After what? 50 years stuck inside a computer program/singularity whatever I imagine the doc is probably quite the nutter and
may become an adversary using MG to wreck everything in general, that final shot I though made him look a bit deranged
who doesn't want to kick back with Misato and have a few beers?

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:17 pm

Finally finished the series. (My life has been quite hectic lately, so it took a while.)

I rather enjoyed it. I liked the characters, and the new takes on the monsters was great to see. Jet Jaguar coming back to a screen outside of video games for the first time since Godzilla vs Megalon was a real treat!

I watched the subbed version, so I had a really difficult time keeping up with the technobabble scenes, wh8ch ended up becoming quite prominent in the series. I actually kinda chuckled when those scenes became boiled down to Jet Jaguar just reading off the technobabble text messages in the background. It's like the show runners realized that it was becoming a bit too much to keep up with, so they lampshaded that by pushing the scene in the background of another scene. Unfortunately, it did kinda result in the ending kinda washing over me. It made emotional sense, and I personally felt satisfied by it, but I'm definitely gonna need to rewatch the whole thing again in order to logically understand it. (Maybe in the dub, this time.)

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:02 am

It really is one of the Kinda-sorta-spoiler here...

Jet Jaguar using the Orthogonal Diagonalizer on itself and growing to near-Godzilla size is a reference to Jet Jaguar inexplicably growing from human-size to Godzilla size in Godzilla versus Megalon. The whole thing about Jet Jaguar being the singer, the song and the reason for the song is one of the show's many, many references to Hinduism. It's not just the tech-talk and theoretical physics you need to keep up with, the ideas presented make a heck of a lot more sense once you know something of Jungian psychology and Hindu scripture and mythology (The depiction of India itself in the show is pretty dumb, though).

This show really needed more episodes and better pacing given the sheer density of information thrown at us. 16-18 episodes would have helped untangle all the stuff about Misakioku and make sense about what all the shady characters whose names I can barely remember are really up to.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Natalie the Cat
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Natalie the Cat » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:46 pm

The fact that they did all that with Jet Jaguar blows my mind. I love it.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:37 pm

Re-watched Godzilla, Mothra & King Ghidorah - Giant Monsters All-Out Attack (2001) formerly my 3rd favorite of the series, not sure where I would rank it after this viewing.

Pros!
- IMO one of the 3 best G suits/designs ever, might be my #1 if the belly was toned down. The savage mouth & dead eyes fit this haunted version of Godzilla perfectly.
- Godzilla's atomic breath seems more powerful & impactful than it often does in much of the series.
- Baragon suit is good & he is given the brave scrappy personality Anguirus typically has.
- Mothra suit is decent & kinda wasp like.
- Great score that sounds very unique & mythic compared to the rest of the series.
- I love the fantasy/mystical aspect of the film & the WW2 ghost possession motivation for Godzilla to target Japan specifically in this continuity.
- Decent cast & characters. Ryudo Uzaki has a very classy modern samurai look to him.
- Has some elements that prefigure Shin-Godzilla such as the military being unable to act until bureaucrats make their drawn out decisions.

Mixed Elements!
- To a extent Godzilla's overwhelming power here fits the persona/mission this version has, that said the battles all feel far too one sided, at the point that Godzilla absorbs & reuses Ghidorah's gravity beam energy we realize how truly futile the 3 Guardian monsters's struggle has been.
- The news station/hack filmmaker crew is fun but a little corny at times.

Cons!
- Sets, environments, CGI & battles are not nearly as well realized as the 90s Gamera trilogy by the same director.
- Smallest & weakest Ghidorah of the series & it's suit is also weak aside from some decent facial features.
- Some of the dialogue & handling of the smaller background characters seems nonsensical like the village leader early on straight up excited for Godzilla to return and "visit" his village which would bring tourism?
- The moment of Godzilla killing a girl in the hospital who survived a earlier attack was really mean spirited & felt tonally out of place for this film & the entire series, had it been one of the dude bro punks who tried to drown a dog earlier in the film I could slightly understand what they were going for but this girl was 100% innocent.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:32 pm

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:Godzilla, Mothra & King Ghidorah - Giant Monsters All-Out Attack (2001)
- The moment of Godzilla killing a girl in the hospital who survived a earlier attack was really mean spirited & felt tonally out of place for this film & the entire series, had it been one of the dude bro punks who tried to drown a dog earlier in the film I could slightly understand what they were going for but this girl was 100% innocent.

I concur. Just when you think everything's safe, SURPRISE!!!

BTW, I noticed from the cast list as cameo roles the Maeda sisters who both did important rules in the Battle Royale movies (Aki Maeda as Noriko Nakagawa and Ai Maeda as Shiori Kitano) supposedly appeared in this film as part of that hippie crowd that got attacked.
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Thuktun Flishithy
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Thuktun Flishithy » Mon Oct 04, 2021 3:19 pm

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:- The moment of Godzilla killing a girl in the hospital who survived a earlier attack was really mean spirited & felt tonally out of place for this film & the entire series, had it been one of the dude bro punks who tried to drown a dog earlier in the film I could slightly understand what they were going for but this girl was 100% innocent.

That's the point tho. It establishes this Godzilla as not some uncaring titan or a wounded animal lashing out, just as much a victim of the bomb as anyone else- this Godzilla is explicitly out to inflict the same suffering on the Japanese people as the Japanese people inflicted on the Pacific, and that includes innocent blood.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:32 pm

Thuktun Flishithy
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Thuktun Flishithy » Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:32 pm

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdbDvmKUOzU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rF-FHxCbQX4

Godzilla vs Gamera fan video teaser.

Interesting to see self-propelled artillery instead of tanks being used against Godzilla. I suppose it makes a bit of sense- no amount of armor is going to save those tanks if Godzilla decides to hit them, so forgo it for the bigger guns. Though, it's still foolhardy to send out military forces against an angry Godzilla.

Natalie the Cat
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Natalie the Cat » Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:24 am

At least the Japanese have the sense to use artillery. Americans can't seem to stop sending out grunts with M4's to shoot at Godzilla for some reason.

Thuktun Flishithy
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Thuktun Flishithy » Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:36 am

View Original PostNatalie the Cat wrote:At least the Japanese have the sense to use artillery. Americans can't seem to stop sending out grunts with M4's to shoot at Godzilla for some reason.

Something something gotta show human faces blah blah. God the 2014 movie was so stupid with that- the very idea of a mere man-portable rocket launcher stinging a kaiju enough to divert its attention away from something important is laughable. Though Godzilla vs Megaguirus also had dumbasses using infantry-level rocket launchers on Godzilla- at least Final Wars had mutants with ridiculously powerful plasma cannons fighting one of the weaker kaiju.

Now I'm reminded of all the notes I've been making on what methods humans would use to fight kaiju that I'm planning on implementing into Leviathan while I rewrite it. Against a lot of kaiju, military operations would probably have a lot of intersect with riot/animal control- irritants, blinding lights, painful noise frequencies, etc. For the kaiju that are basically just giant animals -and therefore behave as such- that should be enough to make them run away.

Natalie the Cat
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Natalie the Cat » Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:37 am

If Godzilla is 50 meters tall, shooting at him with man-portable weapons is... okay. It's not really logical but hey, a giant monster isn't either.

150 meters? Nah.

Asugran233
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Asugran233 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:55 am

I'm rookie fan of Kaiju, from august 2021, i'm. I'm acuttally watching only Godzilla Singular Point and Godzilla 2014.

GSP is a 7/10 and GD2014 also 7/10 is ok movies.

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdbDvmKUOzU

I believe that Godzilla wins.

Merged; unnecessary double post - JoelcrNeto

Thuktun Flishithy
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Thuktun Flishithy » Thu Oct 07, 2021 12:20 pm

View Original PostAsugran233 wrote:
View Original Postsilvermoonlight#931820 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdbDvmKUOzU

I believe that Godzilla wins.

Yeah Gamera is typically a bit of an underdog in his fights, and hasn't really demonstrated the same level of firepower that Godzilla can dish out, nor the same durability. In his Heisei movies military ordinance can put him on the defense, with even his more powerful self at the end of the trilogy getting swatted out of the sky by two SAMs. His only hope would be if he could summon a big enough mana blast to put him out of commission, but that leaves him dangerously vulnerable.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Mon Oct 11, 2021 3:34 am

Final animation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4o5ZzbZDsc

The creator of the fan film went with a stand-off

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri Jan 21, 2022 8:23 am

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:
View Original PostBagheera#901194 wrote:I don’t think anyone has any illusions about seeing more Legendary Godzilla flicks after this one, though.

I had profound hopes for a miracle of GVK being better received than KOM and making just enough money to allow them to continue the series.

Miracles do happen! :w00t:

GODZILLA And Titans MonsterVerse Live-Action Series In The Works For Apple TV+

Multiple trades are reporting that an untitled TV series featuring Big G and his Titan "pals" is in the works for Apple TV+. Hailing from Legendary Television, the show will be executive produced by Chris Black (Star Trek Enterprise, Outcast), and acclaimed comic book writer Matt Fraction. The pair will also serve as co-creators, with Black on board as showrunner.

We don't have a whole lot to go just yet, but a brief logline tells us: "Following the thunderous battle between Godzilla and the Titans that leveled San Francisco and the shocking new reality that monsters are real, the series explores one family's journey to uncover its buried secrets and a legacy linking them to the secret organization known as Monarch."

https://comicbookmovie.com/sci-fi/kaiju ... tv-a191303

Interesting that it's being set after 2014, they probably realized they made a mistake in GVK with them giving that unexplained "defeated" tag to the other Kaiju and saying none had been sighted in 3 year suggesting Godzilla killed or beat them all into submission/hibernation despite the positive end credits of Kotm showing them peacefully helping the world.

Anyone watch Invasion or Foundation on Appletv+, the trailers for Foundation had great CGI so hopefully this will be given the budget needed.

Matt Fraction's presence is intriguing. He did the Hawkeye comic run that heavily inspired the recent show + he did a underrated Thor run and Marvel event called Fear Itself that some hate but I strongly liked.

Return to “Film and Video”