Godzilla & Kaiju General!

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Re: Godzilla & Kaiju General!

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:01 pm

You know, Godzilla (2014) is still the best of these films, as far as I'm concerned. The monsters felt huge, the scientists seemed smart and calculated, and the bits of the monster fights we did see were on an epic, earth-shattering scale. Godzilla's first foot fall in that film was a whole event.

Kong: Skull Island was where the scientists began to feel less confident and more desperate, which is good for its story in its own way. The monsters, again, felt massive. (Kong drinking water from his hands, water falling out like a waterfall......... so epic.) It's too bad that the desperation from the scientists in that movie was translated into full on conspiracy nuts in the next films.

KOTM rocked hard for a few scenes. The monsters still felt huge, but the sense of scale was no longer the focus on the fights or the cinematography anymore. The scientist theories teeter a little too closely to conspiracy theories for my taste, and the film certainly didn't need two comedy relief characters.

KvG did feel like the Showa Era of Godzilla films, but more in the "This fight would be more interesting if it were performed by stunt performers in rubber monster suits," sense. The monsters moved too fast to feel massive anymore (save for a couple well-placed ground level shots looking up), and the human characters were just as boring as Jun Fukuda's last couple installments in the series. So much of the fights are shown that the audience begins to realize that there isn't much these fights can do without going completely bonkers in the choreography, which is a fact that was cleverly hidden from the last few installments in the series. (Gimmie The Terror of Mechagodzilla's whacky monster fist fights any day of the week, man.)

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:17 pm

I’m with you, Freaky. To me this film was too light and too fast; I felt like it needed another hour or so to really develop it’s characters and ideas, along with the connective tissue needed to tie it to the other films. And, as you say, the principals needed weight behind them. These were humans fighting in a bar, not Titans fighting in a city. I did not find it convincing at all.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:44 pm

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad this movie exists. (I'm glad every Godzilla movie exists, even the 1998 one! More Godzilla is always good, even if it's not always desirable.) But I still couldn't get into it as much as I was even the previous films in the MonsterVerse.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:14 pm

I'm of a mixed bag on it. I wish I could've seen this in theaters and if it's still playing on IMAX screens five weeks from now - got my first vaccine shot today - I'll definitely go to the theaters for the first time in over a year to give it another chance on the biggest screen I can find.

I enjoyed the final fight -
SPOILER: Show
I knew they actually wouldn't have let Kong or Godzilla die but I respect the movie for understanding in a fight Godzilla is the winner. Kong earned his respect but if Godzilla really wanted Kong dead he's done for
- but the two monsters did indeed move too very fast and despite everything being bigger than ever I never really got a sense of scale. When every shot was a fully CG money shot they lost their sense of specialness quick. I was also kinda bummed to see the lesson everyone took from G2014 really was the flawed "no one cares about the humans" mindset cause they didn't even try to write characters.

Was also surprised to find out the end credits start 105 minutes in. The movie felt longer.

The film is doing pretty well, GvsK is greatly benefitting because there hasn't really been a pure big & dumb Hollywood FX spectacle like this in well over a year now, but I personally hope this is the end of the WB MonsterVerse. I know everyone wants to have their endless Universe but four films ain't a bad run for a series and this feels like a solid point to end things on.

One thing I did hate:
The villain who built and pilots MechaGodzilla is Serizawa's son. So after being tastelessly killed off sacrificing himself to give Godzilla, the monster meant to signify the horrors of atomic weapons, a nuke as a booster shot, Serizawa's son is brought in to be a bland evil sidekick with maybe five lines who is also unceremoniously killed off. Why? What did that add to anything?

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:40 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:One thing I did hate:
The villain who built and pilots MechaGodzilla is Serizawa's son. So after being tastelessly killed off sacrificing himself to give Godzilla, the monster meant to signify the horrors of atomic weapons, a nuke as a booster shot, Serizawa's son is brought in to be a bland evil sidekick with maybe five lines who is also unceremoniously killed off. Why? What did that add to anything?

That was terrible. It felt so under explored that it just seemed like useless information. Another thing that was noticeably irksome to me was the rich dude and his daughter. Like, I get that we're supposed to hate them as characters so we're not supposed to get a lot of sympathetic, character developing scenes with them, but even their evilness felt flat and uninteresting. Kong kills the rich bitch, Mechagodzilla kills the rich dad, and my only thought during both of those scenes was "Man, I should have enjoyed that more." These aren't the James Cameron villains where you desperately want the catharsis of seeing them get what they deserve. They're just minor annoyances at best that are trying to act like assholes. Their comeuppance isn't as satisfying as I feel it should be.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:31 pm

Yeah, more agreement from me here. The one bit I thought was amusing was the fact that
Kong checked to see who was inside the vehicle that was shooting at him before squishing it. He was like, "What? That's annoying. Who's doing that?" <checks> "Little girl isn't in there. Neither is the big girl who's always with her. Okay, fuck it, I don't care." And then they die!
But that really wasn't enough to make Maya worthwhile.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:59 pm

I just saw King Kong vs Godzilla and I agree with all above it's a really lazy movie that blows all the good work and world building which king of the monsters did, villains are cookie cutter and the human writing in this appalling its beyond lazy on all levels. For context I love GOTM and the world it sets up I like that flawed characters exist in it, this has none of that its just generic and boring and leans in heavy on lazy tropes.

Its only worth watching for the monster fights, but that's it and the hollow world and super jump in technology is really bad and jarring as no one says where it comes from, it's not a small leap ether it's a huge Sci Fi kind of leap with antigravity engines that go through some kind of stargate to get to hollow earth.

Which would have made sense if it was stolen from MechaGodzilla after he dies in following films, but not before it. Or they'd pulled another twist that may be both the father/daughter were in reality aliens like in old Toho series and wanted to use it to take over earth.

The biggest insult is MechaGodzilla being piloted as Serizawa's son with no reasons as to why no backstory nothing and the reality he did not need to be there as they could have put anyone in there since its implied that king Ghidorah's mind takes over MechaGodzilla anyway and kills the pilot out right.

The other two rich villains are beyond pathetic as again no setting up no telling us why they are this way or what they want, other than bad people want bad things and them being rich does not justify this either of their deaths as they have no real menace like Alan Jonah and the film never says where he went or what happened which is really off.

The film also has an unhealthy obsession with the idea that all conspiracy theorists by default are correct and all should be proven right and congratulated even though in reality and the real world these views can be damaging and harmful which the film also makes fun off by saying Bernie washes in bleach and Bernie's character has no use other than to give audience a step by step walk through of everything happening.

Just like Josh is there to be the oh well this shit is strange O meter. While Madison's character is utterly waisted her whole ark would have been better served if she was with Kong on the ship and that expedition.

Oh and I shit you not there is a scene where Godzilla does a Shin Godzilla beam right downwards in the middle of a city like Shin Godzilla did, it somehow goes through to hollow earth which is A Journey to the Centre of the Earth land like in Jules Verne but no one in the city above dies...no one, there's no blasting ball of fire or backdraught of fire like in Shin, the creators of this movie have no realism or grounding they don't get how big monster movies work on the basic level.

The saddest thing is I though this film would have the cool twist that the Godzilla attacking Kong was not the real one and the real one would show up at the end and help Kong defeat it, but the film isn't that bold.

The writer to this also wrote the new black widow movie which now puts that movie in to serious doubt, for me, my hope is this was all due to studio melding and a possible rush job, but the guy also wrote uprising and that was not a great movie ether.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Natalie the Cat
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Natalie the Cat » Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:18 pm

I've watched King of the Monsters like a dozen times now, but GvK is going to be like Godzilla 2014 for me- basically no rewatch value. It doesn't have the verve and sense of fun that the last one had. The fights are good, but

Everything outside of the actual fights was boring. So much wasted potential. The hollow earth? Barely explored. The quirky human characters? Do nothing of note. Mechagodzilla? Underdeveloped, goes down too fast, and ugly design. No followup on Ghidora's head besides using it as a glorified chair. No eco terrorists.

This movie feels like they wanted to wrap the whole thing up and put a bow on it in the quickest, sloppiest movie possible.

What's really infuriating is that so much tantalizing stuff was laid down but not explored.

Was there, like, a civilization of Kong-kaiju living in the hollow earth? I wish they'd explored that, or introduced more of his species. Kong has this kind of melancholy aspect to him and making the movie Kong-centric (despite G getting top billing) made the whole thing feel melancholic. Starting off by showing that Skull Island is destroyed and the native inhabitants are all dead ruined the tone for me.

Also I wish they'd been bolder. This movie would have been much better if...

...they just went balls to the wall and had the company that built MechaGodzilla secretly be a front for fucking aliens, and then introduced Mecha King Ghidorah or something.

The last movie was willing to just be itself, this one felt like it had a conference room full of suits approving every decision and demanding "realism".

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:46 pm

View Original PostNatalie the Cat wrote:
...they just went balls to the wall and had the company that built MechaGodzilla secretly be a front for fucking aliens, and then introduced Mecha King Ghidorah or something.

The last movie was willing to just be itself, this one felt like it had a conference room full of suits approving every decision and demanding "realism".

Hell, yeah.

Even back in the older Godzilla films, the quickest way to make the movie as enjoyably bonkers as possible was to introduce aliens. I don't think anyone in the Godzilla movies has any weird, ultra sci-fi technology until Invasion of Astro-Monster where aliens showed up and suddenly Japan had to protect themselves against both them and giant monsters. Something like that would have certainly eased the jump to the more grounded technology of the previous films to the wacky tech of GvK.

EvaChero
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvaChero » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:35 am

Got to see the movie yesterday!

What I liked,

1. Monster fight choreography was pretty good..you can tell what they spent their time on.
2. The handling of who was better I thought was well thought out.

What was less than good,

1. I thought monster movement was fine UNTIL the Early Hong Kong scenes when the monsters moved way too fast...were they trying to save run time on the movie or something???
2. They introduced too much new stuff to be able to adequately explain everything and it hurt the overall product. There was enough stuff to
have 2 movies which I think would have served the story much better. The Human parts were rushed and felt awkward and contrived with
very little explanation of what was going on.

still going to give it 4 out of 5 "SKREEEEEONKS" because an afternoon with the 'zilla beats most all other afternoons. .

P.S. Did anyone else get a serious EVA vibe from the first fight on the ocean??

was that unit 2 jumping from ship to ship out there?
who doesn't want to kick back with Misato and have a few beers?

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:40 am

View Original PostEvaChero wrote:P.S. Did anyone else get a serious EVA vibe from the first fight on the ocean??

Hell yeah, actually!

There's a lot of Episode 8 vibes in the first fight scene of the film. It got to the point where my friends and I were calling the rich bitch "Asuka" for a while, even though the two characters share no similarities outside of their pride. The overall feel of the boat fight really felt like it was out of Asuka Strikes!

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:50 am

View Original PostEvaChero wrote:P.S. Did anyone else get a serious EVA vibe from the first fight on the ocean??

Yeah, I felt that and its one of few fights I really loved due to this nod.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:06 am

I'm glad to see the response to the film here is pretty similar to my own.

I didn't hate the film but I just feel like I'm taking crazy pills when everyone else I know is saying stuff like "It's the best Godzilla movie ever made!" or "This is how you do it! No one cares about the humans in these films! Why even bother having humans!? and I don't have the energy to explain it's absolutely possible to have both the fun of monsters fighting each other AND a good human storyline in the same movie.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:12 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:I didn't hate the film but I just feel like I'm taking crazy pills when everyone else I know is saying stuff like "It's the best Godzilla movie ever made!" or "This is how you do it! No one cares about the humans in these films! Why even bother having humans!? and I don't have the energy to explain it's absolutely possible to have both the fun of monsters fighting each other AND a good human storyline in the same movie.

I feel this movie only works if you have no context like you've never watched all the king kong movies or Godzilla toho films and are going in utterly blind, but if you know the Godzilla canon
Like Mechagodzzila being made by space aliens in the older franchise.
This film utterly falls apart as you realize how lazy it is and how it lacked boldness and conviction and wasn't willing to take big risks.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:54 am

silvermoonlight wrote:This film utterly falls apart as you realize how lazy it is and how it lacked boldness and conviction and wasn't willing to take big risks.

Yeah. If all someone wants is BIG CHONKE PUNCHES BIG MONKE then the movie delivers on that. And that's a perfectly valid reason to enjoy the movie. But if you want ANYTHING else to go along with that the movie fails because everything - character, plot, etc - is just empty place setting to get to that end fight.

I mean the writing is so thin they just :
have Godzilla make a hole to the center of the Earth so Kong can get to Hong KONG.

EvaChero
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvaChero » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:05 am

I mean the writing is so thin they just :
have Godzilla make a hole to the center of the Earth so Kong can get to Hong KONG.

Yeah that was painfully dumb what happened to the mega dangerous

gravity inversion that required they borrow the hover ships from "The Matrix"?
who doesn't want to kick back with Misato and have a few beers?

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:03 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:I mean the writing is so thin they just :

That scene
Is basically a rips of, of Shin Godzilla and there is a real problem in that there are zero deaths as Godzilla is using his beam like Shin was and the blow back from that in Anno's movie killed a shit ton of people. Like even if you take out for a minute that, how dumb the idea was of drilling to the centre of earth with a beam is you'd still get a fire blow back while it's drilling down that would kill people as all that energy would have nowhere else to go and Hong Kong would have been turned to flames like Tokyo was in Shin.

But it feels like who ever was on the CGI team didn't do their homework, or maybe they did but were shut down by the higher ups. As King of the monsters, best quality is that it keeps its realism like when Godzilla goes super nuclear the city melts around him and catches fire as he's a walking nuclear reactor.

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:10 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:I didn't hate the film but I just feel like I'm taking crazy pills when everyone else I know is saying stuff like "It's the best Godzilla movie ever made!" or "This is how you do it! No one cares about the humans in these films! Why even bother having humans!? and I don't have the energy to explain it's absolutely possible to have both the fun of monsters fighting each other AND a good human storyline in the same movie.

The problem is that they utterly failed on delivering that twice with 2014 and KoTM. Shin Godzilla did it right and if they didn't kill off Bryan Cranston, 2014 could have done it as well. But as it stands, 2014 is literally just a glorified army recruitment film and KoTM kept cutting away from the mindless entertainment everyone wanted to see for characters that....no one actually cared about. Nothing about the idea of GvK is grounded, pushing a good human storyline would just bog it down and make the film look like it's taking itself too seriously.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:23 am

I dunno. Apart from Angry Dad I thought KotM had a pretty good storyline. If they'd backed away from him and given the supporting cast room to breathe I think it could have been rock solid.

But in any event GvK was not an improvement in that regard by any means. Replacing a flawed human story with no human story is no remedy, particularly when the monster fights are lacking as well.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:45 am

View Original PostBagheera wrote:But in any event GvK was not an improvement in that regard by any means. Replacing a flawed human story with no human story is no remedy, particularly when the monster fights are lacking as well.

I'm just wondering if the higher ups made the same mistake as Rise Of Skywalker like where they pandered or thought they were pandering to the fanbase and it's seriously backfired like x fanbase rants out KOTM has a bad human story, high ups go oh well we can't be bothered to get a better writer oh wait lets use that guy from pacific rim uprising so lets just make it paint by the numbers.

It will sell right because monsters and let's add in lame moments of fan service like have the monkey jam his axe in to Godzilla's mouth like the tree thing in the old version but is really hard to notice, and another dumb nod to king kong lives with restarting his heart. The 1986 movie that no one watches and is never shown anymore and was a huge flop on release and has not had a blu ray or dvd re-release since and has been out of the public conscience for a very long time.

Oh, and do a total rush job on Mechagodzilla where he looks nothing lie the original and there's hardly any homage as we can't be bothered to study the old toho series as it's a kong movie and the gorilla will sell.

Like that's how I saw this going down in the pitch room, it's the only way I could see them making this kind of screw up.

Return to “Film and Video”