Godzilla & Kaiju General!

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

Re: Godzilla & Kaiju General!

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:55 pm

The only reason Godzilla Vs. Kong wasn't cancelled was because WB was so gung ho on the MonsterVerse that it had finished shooting before King of the Monsters even opened.
I hope Godzilla vs Kong can have better luck with box office takings.In Japan it could have a tough competition.I hope that in Europe, America and other countries it can have a huge success but maybe the restrictive cinema regulations in some countries will not make it easy for example in Italy (where I live) the cinemas are closed and and will not reopen perhaps before April 6th.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:01 am

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:EDIT: Found this today have no idea if its a leak or fanmade.

SPOILER: Show

Fanmade.
It's the MechaGodzilla that appeared in Ready Player One (2018)

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:04 am

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:Fanmade.

Oh, I have yet to even see Player one ready, which is why this went right over my head plus I forgot they had Godzilla references in that film.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:29 am

Maybe the Mechagodzilla that might appear in Godzilla vs Kong will have a similar but slightly modified design to make it look more like Legendary Godzilla.
Also I have found a interview of Keiji Ota the one who currently runs the Godzilla's franchise here what he said about Toho's future plans for Godzilla:After 2021, we’re thinking of a potential strategy that [releases] Godzilla movies uninterrupted at a rate of every 2 years, although there is a preference for a yearly pace as well. The future of the series and its forwarding developments are very conscious of the method of "shared universe". Godzilla, Mothra, King Ghidorah, etc. could all share a single world view much like a Marvel movie where Iron Man and the Hulk can crossover with each other. It is said that each movie can be a possible film production where any one of them could lead a film of their own as the titular character. It would seem that this new cinematic universe of Toho has as its provisional name World of Godzilla, at the beginning I too was very sketic about this news but both wikipedia and Gojipedia confirm it instead.
Anyone have any opinion on my previous post? I mean what do you think about the fact that the man currently in charge of the Godzilla Franchise has stated that Toho in the future could try an approach more similar to that of the Avengers movies?

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:12 am

New Singular Point poster. Godzilla's eyes are too close together but otherwise looks good. Edit - That flared out outer side lip/cheek is a bit weird.

View Original PostFXArmaros98 wrote:Anyone have any opinion on my previous post? I mean what do you think about the fact that the man currently in charge of the Godzilla Franchise has stated that Toho in the future could try an approach more similar to that of the Avengers movies?

Not that different than what they have always done esprcially in the early 60s, just with a bit more focus on stand alone movies for other kajiu which I am down for.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:43 am

That Godzilla is absolutely horrible.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:10 am

Godzilla's eyes are too close together but otherwise looks good

I have to admit that I like this Godzilla, the row of ridges of bone spines on the head is not bad, the only thing that bothers me a little is the presence of those teeth protruding out from the inside of the mouth although I think there I get used to it (maybe those protruding teeth bothered me at first just because they reminded me of Gamera and the regret that his
possible reboot has been canceled :sniffle: )
Not that different than what they have always done esprcially in the early 60s, just with a bit more focus on stand alone movies for other kajiu which I am down for.

Lol the 60's Godzilla movies .. It was almost insane to see Godzilla and the other monsters do those weird dance-like movements but it is thanks to them that fights between the Kaiju became part of the Godzilla franchise.Well we just have to wait for some Toho announcements after Godzilla vs Kong to confirm if they really intend to make this new series of films that will be a reboot.

For those interested in knowing what Shin Godzilla would become continuing to evolve after reaching his fifth form , here is some information from The Art of Shin Godzilla book
Powers of the 5th form:Acquire flight ability,Self-division without limits to eventually cover the whole of Earth,Divided forms may shrink in size and form a legion,Become immune to the Yashiori Plan,Lose algesia (sensitivity to pain) and emotions,Self-generation of a completed form from a tiniest fragment of the body.
Powers of the 6th form:Overcoming requirements of air and water to survive, Will achieve self energy productions,Achieving limitless nuclear fusions and overcome energy problems,Degeneration of the mouth and teeth. Will eventually lose these organs,Will eventually invade outer space and reach other planets.
Powers of the 7th form:Contains a small universe within its body,Synthesizing any materials and elements at will and make them its own,Adapt to harsh environments of any planets.
Powers of 8th and final form:Transcending physical law and reaching the "level of GOD" (and Immortality).
So in a nutshell what we are told in this book is that Shin Godzilla would become a practically unstoppable being. From my personal point of view, Anno may have recycled his idea that Instrumentality in Rebuilds creates life forms with Fruit of Life i Failures of Infinite to give life to the creature Shin Godzilla would evolve into,furthermore in this book there is not only a parallelism with Failures of Infinite but also with Giant Naked Rei / Lilith since in an illustration of this book we are shown that Godzilla would also have obtained female features in one of his future evolutions.

It's a real shame that Toho instead of making a sequel to Shin Godzilla (probably Shin Godzilla 2 would have been more like Evangelion according to the information that I have put in the spoiler tag) seems to have instead the intention of starting a reboot as I wrote in mine previous post.
Who saw the new Godzilla vs Kong trailer?
One of the scenes in that trailer can be described this way:
Godzilla: Roar on Kong's face
Kong: Bitch pleas you call this a roar?THIS HOW A ROAR IS SUPPOSED TO BE MOTHAFUCKER!

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:32 pm

New full Singular Point trailer!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVv3kouh4is

The CGI is largely fine to me except for Jet Jaguar.

Anguirus looks awesome here.

Weird jellyfish like take on Hedorah?

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:53 am

Anguirus looks awesome here.

Yes but I don't understand why they decided to make some Kaiju so small in comparison to their canonical and original counterparts, I don't want to make a negative criticism of this anime without first actually seeing it but at the moment due to the size of the Kaiju rather than a series animated dedicated to Godzilla looks like a remake of Jurassick Park but with further science fiction added :um:

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:16 pm

Godzilla vs Kong salvation trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NseVUieeklg

MechaGodzilla further teased.

FXArmaros98
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby FXArmaros98 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:31 pm

Another leaked scene of MechaGodzilla https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1vo9KUUZXQ

EvaChero
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvaChero » Wed Mar 24, 2021 3:35 pm

I'm going to need a spoiler for the new Kong vs Big G....I absolutely will freak out if Kong wins, and likely break
stuff...TEAM GODZILLA! the one and only King of the Monsters...... :tongue:
who doesn't want to kick back with Misato and have a few beers?

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:10 pm

Mecha godzilla funko pop vinyl (They really are going for a none canon look here)

Playmate toy version.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:29 am

View Original PostEvaChero wrote:I'm going to need a spoiler for the new Kong vs Big G....I absolutely will freak out if Kong wins, and likely break

Prepare to freak out. I don't know how the film ends but Adam Wingard the director has not been subtle on social media that "He sets Kong up as the underdog in the first act of the movie" and as a filmmaker I'll say it's pretty much an unspoken rule that you don't set up an underdog in Act One unless you plan to have them win in the climax. Maybe they'll pull a ROCKY and the ending is Kong "goes the distance" with Godzilla buuuuuut since Wingard has said there is a definite winner I doubt that. Someone pointed out that Kong has never been referenced as KING Kong in the MonsterVerse yet and since Godzilla became KING of the Monsters in the last film it makes sense the movie will end with the underdog Kong accepting the title of KING Kong.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:47 pm

Some facts and speculation on my end...

King Kong has never lost a fight against Godzilla, just sayin'. Sure Tomoyuki Tanaka retroactively calls it a draw in the 1962 film, but that's not what we see. That we see is Godzilla and King Kong falling into the water, and only King Kong rising out of it and going home. The film set King Kong as winner of the 1962 film, so I wouldn't be surprised if we won again this time around.

What I really think will happen in KvG is that Kong and Godzilla will fight, Mechagodzilla comes in and ruins everything, Kong and Godzilla have to team up together to defeat Mechagodzilla and build a camaraderie together, Mechagodzilla kills Godzilla in the ensuing battle (because Legendary no longer has the license for that character after this film, so allowing him to die means that they could possibly make more MonsterVerse movies without paying Toho), and Kong gets revenge over the death of Godzilla by defeating Mechagodzilla.

EvaChero
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvaChero » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:20 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:
View Original PostEvaChero#917519 wrote:I'm going to need a spoiler for the new Kong vs Big G....I absolutely will freak out if Kong wins, and likely break

Prepare to freak out. I don't know how the film ends but Adam Wingard the director has not been subtle on social media that "He sets Kong up as the underdog in the first act of the movie" and as a filmmaker I'll say it's pretty much an unspoken rule that you don't set up an underdog in Act One unless you plan to have them win in the climax. Maybe they'll pull a ROCKY and the ending is Kong "goes the distance" with Godzilla buuuuuut since Wingard has said there is a definite winner I doubt that. Someone pointed out that Kong has never been referenced as KING Kong in the MonsterVerse yet and since Godzilla became KING of the Monsters in the last film it makes sense the movie will end with the underdog Kong accepting the title of KING Kong.

That's what I'm afraid of, they make it appear that Kong is the "Hero" and Godzilla the "villain" in the previews although there is speculation

about Mecha G possibly appearing or even wild talk of salvaging 1 of Ghidora's heads. Apparently the movie is opening up well so far. As a child I hated the original for the whole - tree being shoved down 'zillas throat thing. The Original ST and 'zilla were what helped keep me sane growing up....as strange as that may sound.

EvaChero
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvaChero » Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:26 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Some facts and speculation on my end...

King Kong has never lost a fight against Godzilla, just sayin'. Sure Tomoyuki Tanaka retroactively calls it a draw in the 1962 film, but that's not what we see. That we see is Godzilla and King Kong falling into the water, and only King Kong rising out of it and going home. The film set King Kong as winner of the 1962 film, so I wouldn't be surprised if we won again this time around.

What I really think will happen in KvG is that Kong and Godzilla will fight, Mechagodzilla comes in and ruins everything, Kong and Godzilla have to team up together to defeat Mechagodzilla and build a camaraderie together, Mechagodzilla kills Godzilla in the ensuing battle (because Legendary no longer has the license for that character after this film, so allowing him to die means that they could possibly make more MonsterVerse movies without paying Toho), and Kong gets revenge over the death of Godzilla by defeating Mechagodzilla.

I have heard similar theories as well......which if it comes to pass...will be embarrassing considering
a grown man crying over a nuclear lizard is probably 2 cans short of a six pack

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:30 pm

I did it.

I saw the thing where the things fight.

I wasn't feeling it.

Without spoilers, there some neat ideas and pretty cool moments (not even full scenes) involving the monsters, but I spent a lot of the movie wondering if they even hired a fight choreographer for the monsters. Also, the monsters move way too fast. Neither Godzilla nor Kong feel like they are as large as they're meant to be during a lot of their fights. And the human characters are beyond worthless at this point.

The sympathetic nod to conspiracy theorists has always bothered me ever since Kong: Skull Island, but in previous films it always played a somewhat minor roll, and was balanced out with other non-whacko ideas (though, not necessarily any ideas contradicting the conspiracies either). In GvK, they go full conspiracy theory sympathizer territory with the human characters, to the point where everyones personalities are all based around that.

I might talk about spoilers at a later time, but just to wrap this thought up: I was expecting to be in love with this film for the fight scenes alone for about a month, then have terrible things to say about the script after the honeymoon period is over. (Kinda like I did with G:KotM 2019.) But I wasn't even able to get that far with this movie. The studio lost faith in this film half way through production and you can feel it.

Definitely watch it if you're a kaiju fan who just wants to see these two behemoths of film history duke it out with each other (and if you go in completely unspoiled, there's a neat surprise in the final climax), but even then I wouldn't expect much from it. A movie like this needed to have more personality than it did.

EvaChero
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvaChero » Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:38 pm

Kewl, good to see some feedback on here. I was reading a lot of reviews last night on the 'zilla pages on Fbook and I'd say 90% were positive but with most decrying the "humans" part of the script. I hope to get a look myself this weekend!!! Up in the air as to whether TOHO will continue to license the
Big G for any kind of continuation in the current monsterverse. ...(I'm still basking in KOTM goodness) TEAM GODZILLA :tongue:

P.S. Would be very ironic if they had low expectations for this film considering how the box office has done so far.

Sharpe
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Sharpe » Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:21 pm

I really enjoyed GvK, I think it's my favorite Monsterverse movie (then Godzilla 2014, Kong Skull Island and KotM). I really enjoyed that it went far beyond the other films in embracing the craziness of this universe, and was also colorful and vibrant, rather than muddy and muted like KotM. The humans weren't great but I don't think they bothered me the way they did a lot of other people, I was never frustrated by them, the same way I was in Kong, and REALLY was in KotM. The monster fights were also great, they were edited much better than all of the other Monsterverse ones, less cutting away to boring stuff.
we are many, but you are alone

Return to “Film and Video”