Godzilla & Kaiju General!

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Godzilla & Kaiju General!

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:38 pm

General Thread for Godzilla, Gamera, King Kong & any other of the various Kajiu out there...

Prior individual film based threads for...
Godzilla (2014)
thread/9037/American-Godzilla-20/
&
Anno's Shin-Godzilla (2016)
thread/17296/Shin-Gojira-aka-Godzilla-Resurgence/

News rundown...
We will be getting a 2017 Godzilla Anime, only banner image released so far suggest its set in the future with a futuristic human space craft landing over a jungle. Won't be connected to the 2014 or 2016 G-Films.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godzilla_(2017_film)

Kong: Skull Island is coming out march 10th 2017, it is set in the 1970s of the 2014 Godzilla universe.
Poster -
SPOILER: Show

Comic Con Teaser Trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK5hbs4LOI8
Motion teasers -
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/sci-fi/k ... of-a146737
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/sci-fi/k ... er-a146780
Edit - New Posters

A new trailer will be coming out later today.

Legendary has both Godzilla 2 & King Kong vs Godzilla planned around 2018 to 2020.
Last edited by movieartman on Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Re: Godzilla & Kajiu General!

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:04 am

Trailer 2 for Kong Skull Island.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9y6oPka3us

Not sure how I feel, looks fun but the con trailer genuinely gave me hope it would be serious toned.
:um:

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:59 am

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:Trailer 2 for Kong Skull Island.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9y6oPka3us

Not sure how I feel, looks fun but the con trailer genuinely gave me hope it would be serious toned.
:um:

The original trailer featured Sam Jackson. I always knew it would be "Mother-Fuckily" toned.

SoryuUberAlles
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby SoryuUberAlles » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:53 pm

Word up!

How American audiences ruined the power of the original Godzilla wrote: The American version of the movie did away with the subtext, however, with 20 minutes deleted. The U.S. version also added a half hour of scenes featuring Raymond Burr so that the events could be shown from an American’s point of view. Any references to nuclear testing were excised, and the original Japanese dialogue was either untranslated or dubbed over.

:facepalm:
"You're just turning this into a mixture of gibberish and fan service! That's not the Evangelion I know!" - An Asuka, one of many.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:19 pm

"Any references to nuclear testing were excised"

I don't know what version he is watching but the American cut I have watched since I was a tiny kid had Dr.Yamane mention Hydrogen Bombs at least twice.

SoryuUberAlles
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby SoryuUberAlles » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:34 am

Youd've had to watch the 1956 drive-in version though.
"You're just turning this into a mixture of gibberish and fan service! That's not the Evangelion I know!" - An Asuka, one of many.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:52 am

Has anyone seen The Giant Behemoth (1959)?
It is more or less a retread of The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms, however It has really strong lead 2 actors, a really immersive sense of mystery in the first half and it does the anti nuke message just as good if not better then Godzilla did, as this film actually shows the Titular creature unintentionally releasing rays of radiation graphically burning people
Stop motion is overall decent if lesser then Willis's previous films, however the close ups on the creatures face are great.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:27 pm

I think I've seen clips and stuff from that but never the movie itself.

The only British giant monster movie I remember is Gorgo, and then there's the Norwegian (I think?) Reptillicus which is hilarious.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:45 pm

Legendary's Godzilla 2 is officially titled...
GODZILLA - KING OF MONSTERS

The Pacific Rim sequel is officially titled...
PACIFIC RIM - UPRISING

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:42 pm

@ "king" of monsters -- Is the gendering of Godzilla even an intrinsic part of the character, or something that Americans slapped on? I could do without it, honestly. The dogmatic insistence that Godzilla is a dude results in nonsense like Matthew Broderick referring to what's clearly a parthenogenetically reproducing female as "a very unusual he", on top of the asexual Annozilla also being insistently called a "he" (by subtitles and filmgoers, anyway; I didn't hear the character get called "kare" anywhere). :rolleyes:

On top of that, the Burr version was so terrible I couldn't sit through the whole thing. Such cringeworthy pandering to USAns apparently deemed too simpleminded to just watch a movie that happens somewhere else without it being forcibly made ABOUT them. Reusing the title reeks of pandering on top of pandering, plus fetishing a dreckish localization that deserves some recognition for historical purposes but none of the affection it still receives.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Re: Godzilla & Kaiju General!

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:26 am

2014 Godzilla was awesome and King of the Monsters is an awesome title and if we're going to argue about a four hundred foot tall radiation breathing lizard's gender identity then we need to step back and see that there is a point where this needs to stop and we have clearly passed it.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:25 am

I'm on board with more Godzilla. Give me all the Godzilla!

Not so hyped about the Pacific Rim title change. Maelstrom was charming. Uprising is kinda charmless. Though I am very VERY curious about Pacific Rim II. I haven't had a chance to talk with anyone involved with the project but I'm curious how much of Del Toro's plan for the sequel is going to make it in & how much is going to be something totally new. With the sequel basically existing because of it's success in China I do know the original plans for a trilogy went into a bit of massive turnaround. Mind you I LOVED Del Toro's giddy blast of a fun blockbuster - nary any lame grittiness in sight in that one - but I always felt it should be a one off thing. Curious....

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:20 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:if we're going to argue about a four hundred foot tall radiation breathing lizard's gender identity then we need to step back and see that there is a point where this needs to stop and we have clearly passed it.

There are somewhat unfortunate implications, you know, telling someone that it's too much for them to question where the dogmatic notion that a "four hundred foot tall radiation breathing lizard" is a dude came from in the first place, but to be (seemingly) perfectly OK with Anglo fans unquestioningly exercising that dogma. Further, that you elected to dismiss my post with needless hyperbole rather than -- oh, I don't know -- simply ignore it makes it seem like you were "triggered" in some way, which demands further investigation.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:53 am

Well, this thread seems like the best place for this. Courtesy of the Feast of St. Godzilla thread on rpg.net:

Holiday Cheer!  SPOILER: Show
o come, all ye Kaaiii-ju,
Wrathful and gigantic!
o come, ye, o co-me ye to To-o-kyo!
Run and behold them!
wreck that train with giant tails
O no there goes Tokyo
O no there goes Tokyo
O no there goes Tokyo
Saint Godzilla!

Scream, population,
Sing in fear and terror
Scream, all ye citizens
of To-o-kyo!

Go go Godzilla!
He is just the biggest!
O no there goes Tokyo
O no there goes Tokyo
O no there goes Tokyo
Saint Godzilla!

Godzilla we greet thee,
coming from the harbor
Jesus, you really really
wrecked all our stuff!
Dad of baby Godzilla,
and those raptors from the crap US mo-o-vie, O no there goes Tokyo O no there goes Tokyo O no there goes Tokyo Saint Godzilla!

Kind of loses the rhythm at the end there, but most of it's pure gold IMO. It's from the third post in the thread, by a user named Sabermane.
Last edited by Bagheera on Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:01 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:There are somewhat unfortunate implications, you know, telling someone that it's too much for them to question where the dogmatic notion that a "four hundred foot tall radiation breathing lizard" is a dude came from in the first place, but to be (seemingly) perfectly OK with Anglo fans unquestioningly exercising that dogma. Further, that you elected to dismiss my post with needless hyperbole rather than -- oh, I don't know -- simply ignore it makes it seem like you were "triggered" in some way, which demands further investigation.

One of us is taking this way more seriously than the other.
the prophecy is true

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:15 pm

Bagheera wrote:Well, this thread seems like the best place for this. Courtesy of the Feast of St. Godzilla thread on rpg.net:

Holiday Cheer!  SPOILER: Show
o come, all ye Kaaiii-ju,
Wrathful and gigantic!
o come, ye, o co-me ye to To-o-kyo!
Run and behold them!
wreck that train with giant tails
O no there goes Tokyo
O no there goes Tokyo
O no there goes Tokyo
Saint Godzilla!

Scream, population,
Sing in fear and terror
Scream, all ye citizens
of To-o-kyo!

Go go Godzilla!
He is just the biggest!
O no there goes Tokyo
O no there goes Tokyo
O no there goes Tokyo
Saint Godzilla!

Godzilla we greet thee,
coming from the harbor
Jesus, you really really
wrecked all our stuff!
Dad of baby Godzilla,
and those raptors from the crap US mo-o-vie, O no there goes Tokyo O no there goes Tokyo O no there goes Tokyo Saint Godzilla!

Kind of loses the rhythm at the end there, but most of it's pure gold IMO.

Is there a download for this somewhere?
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:45 pm

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:Is there a download for this somewhere?

No, the lyrics were made up by the guy who posted them. Feel free to get a group together and make one yourself, though!
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:38 pm

I feel as though much of the gendering of Godzilla came about in the US only because they didn't want to refer to the monster as an "it." I think the male idea of Godzilla was only enforced in "Son of Godzilla," in which "he" became a parent through unspecified means but is still called "father" (I think, anyway), and in the 90's animated OVA Godzillaland, where typical green Godzilla has a strongly suggested feminine-gendered Zilla friend named "Gojirin," who is "otherized" from the typical Godzilla with her heart-shaped spinal plates and pink coloration.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:24 pm

Shitty 98 Godzilla was weird about it but Renaissance Godzilla is clearly male, and represents a masculine force.

A weird masculine force. The movie has a weird subtext about Godzilla murdering a family of monsters (highlighted by the weird moment of monster tenderness when the MUTOs meet) and there's a subtle sexual undertone to the way Big G kills the (explicitly female, in fact dangerously female) big MUTO.
the prophecy is true

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:58 pm

So if you go to 11.55 you can see what looks like a unit 00 version of godzilla here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UOW1AVOQTE
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Return to “Film and Video”