Illustrious Thesis wrote:When Yui Ikari is swallowed up by Unit-01, Shinji is sent off by his father- but not to his teacher, or his aunt and uncle. No, Shinji is taken in by his godmother; Mari Makinami, one of his mother's old colleagues who lives in England. With a brand new family, things turn out... different. But how far gone is the Scenario, and what will happen when the mysterious Angels appear?
Link to the story on Fanfiction.Net: Evangelion: Illustrious Thesis
Hello there, everyone! Fyrstorm here again, with another story I've been working on! This one takes place in an alternative version of the NGE Manga timeline-- one in which Mari doesn't end up cutting ties with Yui, earning her a godson.
That's right; Mari gets to be Shinji's godmother here. And that means
To sum up my initial thoughts behind this:
- Mari’s been busy at Saintford University, struggling with the aftermath of Second Impact. England wasn’t hit as hard as the lower hemisphere was, but it’s still in a bit of chaos. The young lady gets a phone call from Yui, much to her surprise. She’s even more surprised when Yui reveals that she has a son-- and that she wants Mari to be his godmother. Caught by wildly conflicting emotions, Mari decides to accept-- after all, it’s not like Yui’s going anywhere, is she?
- Predictably, Yui is absorbed in the Contact Experiment with Unit-01, and Gendo abandons Shinji a few days later. Thus, Mari, instead of Shinji’s teacher/ aunt and uncle picking him up, it’s Mari.
- Things go… different from there.
- There’s tension and trouble on both sides; Shinji has to grow up with a woman who isn’t his mother and isn’t even related to him; Mari has to deal with figuring out how to be a functional adult who can raise a child properly.
- By the time Gendo sends for Shinji, the boy’s a little less withdrawn, a little more inquisitive and sassy, and can actually speak (proper) English with a good deal of fluency.
- Mari accompanies Shinji to Tokyo-3 because he’s been called there by Gendo, and Gendo abandoned his own son after Yui died. Mari feels that her trust (and blessing for Yui) has been squandered, and she’s not about to let the man fuck everything up a second time.
- As Mari’s a full-fledged scientist, trained in the fields that are useful for the Evas, she even has a valid reason to stay there.
This is the result.
Please read, enjoy, and review!