Oh The Horror!

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Re: Oh The Horror!

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:54 pm

The VOID

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liwp6JpdrrE

A gory tribute to John Carpenter's 'the Thing' and 'Dagon'. . . looks like my cup of tea.

Also, has anyone seen Gore Verbinski's 'Cure For Wellness' yet?

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:49 am

It's almost Halloween and nobody's commented on the Horror movie thread? Blasphemy.

Anyways. I just saw Rosemary's Baby, now i'm going to Watch RINGU. The original. Lets see if the original or the remake is better.

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:16 am

I remember seeing some parts of the Halloween movie series on the AMC channel several years back. During Halloween time, I like to watch films such as Hellraiser, The Evil Dead, the Spawn movie and TV series, and some others.

I know this probably wouldn't be counted as a horror genre, but I've been renting the Devil May Cry anime series from Netflix. Thought it might be fitting for this season. I'm also planning on renting the Haunted World of El Superbeasto, as per my traditional way to celebrate( as well as the Evil Dead series). Plus, I haven't seen it in a while.
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:54 pm

Has there ever been a monster movie where the police investigating the incident actually believe that the person saw a monster?

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:05 am

View Original PostRay wrote:Has there ever been a monster movie where the police investigating the incident actually believe that the person saw a monster?

Monster Squad 1987 and the Basket Case Trilogy (In one film in this trilogy the police even steal the deformed little babies from Belial because they want to use them to make money)
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:07 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Has there ever been a monster movie where the police investigating the incident actually believe that the person saw a monster?

It's not a movie but the FBI/police characters in Twin Peaks just sort of go with things.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:08 am

I watched The Horror of Dracula, Slither, and Carnosaur 2 with friends last night. It was a good Halloween.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:29 pm

I have to ask, why watch these movies in the first place? What would be the point in purposely inducing fear?
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:34 pm

For me personally it's to toughen myself up. I'm a very sensitive person IRL. I watch scary things because I know that in the real world there are monsters. Through the context of horror through the context of fiction we can face that horror in a place where we are completely safe.

I personally believe that watching horror can help one come to terms with real world atrocities that are just as awful. Terrible things happen to people in the real world and there is nothing you can do about it. Horror can help you face that reality and help you come to terms with it.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:07 am

View Original Postcyharding wrote:I have to ask, why watch these movies in the first place? What would be the point in purposely inducing fear?
You take your gf to see them, and she holds onto you for reassurance. That is traditionally why.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:12 am

View Original Postcyharding wrote:I have to ask, why watch these movies in the first place? What would be the point in purposely inducing fear?

I don't watch for the fear factor I enjoying watching for the effects, stories and psychological aspect as good horror to me is about building up these element's as I don't care for gore that's purely for shock value which I see a lot in modern horror.
Last edited by silvermoonlight on Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:44 am, edited 4 times in total.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Kazuki_Fuse
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Kazuki_Fuse » Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:07 pm

I could not tell you any one reason. Is it the onset of an adrenaline rush when you know a jumpscare is about to make you pop out of your seat? Is it some deep-rooted psychological problem where I enjoy watching people get butchered horribly? Who knows. I've been interested in the macabre since I was young so its only natural that horror is my favorite genre.
Avatar: "Here is a magical girl who would not take it anymore"
Hitler AND eating babies in a Shinji thread? Business as usual- TMBounty_Hunter
Sorry, my policy is not to take life advice from people with ego problems who also happen to post on anime forums- CJD
Does Love Live get a lot of shit or something?- caragnafog dog

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:50 pm

For those looking for a modern zombie film with as much satirical social commentary bite as Dawn of the Dead, I always recommend the Cuban film Juan of the Dead. It's gutsy to the point of "I can't believe the filmmakers were not arrested for this".

C.T.1290
Zeruel
Zeruel

•      
  •      

Postby C.T.1290 » Thu Nov 02, 2017 10:06 pm

Halloween is scary. Horror movies are scary. Put them together, and you get a great combo. It's one of the traditional ways to celebrate the season. Plus, don't you find it somewhat fitting?
“This is the way”-The Mandalorian

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:00 am

I love the community behind the horror film industry. I grew up loving a lot of 80s slasher horror. When I was just twelve, I attended my first horror film convention as a huge fan of Freddy Krueger, and I was able to meet Wes Craven before he passed. Came out learning and loving Troma Films and the b movie horror community. Many of the names from classic horror lend their talent to small films, such as Ken Foree, Bill Mosely, and Robert Englund, and they usually come out for the conventions and support these smaller film projects. Even though everybody's common profession involves blood, gore, and scaring people, these are absolutely lovely people in real life. Their community supports and employs each other, and many inexperienced filmmakers can become established by starting off among them. That's how James Gunn went from writing Tromeo & Juliet, to directing Gaurdians of the Galaxy. The horror film community is about love and family.

Apart from that, there's a definite art form to creating horror. It's more than jump scares and gore. Suspense is crucial, which relies on good pacing and good music. It's easy to make a cheap horror film that hits all the standard beats, but there is truly opportunity to get creative and explore new things, which Cabin in the Woods did well. Horror is also an excellent medium for exploring certain types of stories, themes, and characters in ways that other genres cannot, such as in American Psycho. And let me not forget to mention Alien, which forces us to consider very uncomfortable themes related to being human, such as sexuality, reproduction, and rape, all under the guise of an alien monster film. The potential is endless, but it does require wading through a significant amount of crap, like in any genre or medium.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Zeruss
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Zeruss » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:31 am

To me, it's about surrendering yourself; letting go and becoming vulnerable to external forces for a brief period of time.
It's allowing your expectations and safety be either rumbled a bit, or shattered completely. To allow yourself to welcome fear, the unknown, suspense or disgust within you, as opposed to simply rejecting them asap, through a somewhat controlled context (much like, for example, a rollercoaster or a haunted house), and to be able to actually experiencing them without immediate rejection--Without having to be afraid of feeling fear... or something like that.

Said feelings (fear, anxiety, uncertainty) in 'The Real World' are usually due to really shitty situations and circumstances, but in films or similar experiences they are fiction+simulacra, thus permitting you to experience catharsis without the actual crippling pain or prolonged suffering. In my case, sometimes experiencing any of the aforementioned emotions without having to worry about them coming from an aspect that originates in your actual life is just... liberating--Just like humor allows me to laugh even if my life circumstances wouldn't, or drama allows me to cry without having to worry about what aspect of my own life I should really be shedding tears about. :nyao:
I'm a lurker at heart.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:37 am

There is typically a frisson which people often find pleasurable. But more specifically, it provides an opportunity for training ourselves to handle fear while ensconced in a known safe environment.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:48 pm

Friday the 13th: The Rights Issues holding back Jason

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NaEu24flgcI
Across twelve films, videogames, comics, novelizations and original novels, Jason Voorhees of «Friday the 13th» fame has killed hundreds. The only obstacle he has yet to overcome, is that of corporate politics. That is what is preventing new Jason movies from being made, and as of Halloween 2017, we are officially in the longest strecth between Jason movies in the 37 year history of the franchise. In this video, we will look back at the franchise, its transition from Paramount to New Line, the crossover with Freddy Krueger, and explore the corporate and legal issues which are currently preventing more installments from getting made.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:28 am

People watch horror movies and enjoy simulated danger because the relatively stress free life we lead doesn’t give us the full range of emotional and fear response stimulation we need. It’s a pressure valve that responds to our sunconscious constantly saying, in effect, “it’s quiet... too quiet” all the time.

We’re acfually in all kinds of danger every day but not ina way that stimulates that part of our brains.

Also emotional stress facilitates pair bonding which is why horror movies are popular date options. The oxytocin high from making out is more intense when there’s some adrenaline already in the system.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:26 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:now i'm going to Watch RINGU. The original. Lets see if the original or the remake is better.

I would say I enjoy Ringu more than The Ring which feels a little too polished for my taste. But one thing that Ringu still to this day has me iffy about is the scene where they enter the well, why do they have to drain in with a bucket little by little when even The Ring showed that simply falling in and feeling for anything was a more effective solution?! :irked: :???:
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Return to “Film and Video”