Misato after 3I

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Apox
Embryo

Misato after 3I

•      
  •      

Postby Apox » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:44 am

I'm curious what everyone's thoughts are on Misato after 3I. Why didn't she come back? What would her reaction be if she did after seeing the ruined world. Misato put a lot of (misplaced) faith in Shinji that he was going to save humanity from annihilation, so I think her finding out that he was in fact the "catalyst" for said destruction would be interesting.

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

Re: Misato after 3I

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:57 am

Well it's down to interpretation but the chances are she did eventually come back. My assumption is that what we see on that beach is pretty much just after 3I and Asuka/Shinji are the first two to return. Yui tells us that others can return so I think it's likely that Misato will come back.

I also think her reaction to Shinji would be positive, she'd be likely to give him and possibly Asuka a massive hug after all they have gone through. I think the state of the world would shock or disturb her, but they would power through.

Whilst its true Shinji was the catalyst for the destruction it wasn't as if he had much choice and in the end he was the saviour of humanity. That destruction was going to happen regardless and if it wasn't for Rei at the last minute giving the keys to Shinji it would have ended completely in either SEELE or Gendo's favour.

mammaluser
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby mammaluser » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:04 am

You gotta remember that Shinji said that everyone should choose wheter to stay like LCL or become physical again, so probably that would take time.
"I wish that i could turn back time..."

Chainer3000
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Chainer3000 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:36 am

Is it possible Misato never joined in the human instrumentally project? She, like Gendo, was killed prior to the actual Rei-soul-grabbing, and that seemed to have excluded Gendo from joining in on the LCL party. I always thought it remained a bit ambiguous as to whether or not she took part.

If she did, I can't see Misato choosing not to come back after reflecting like Shinji did - she may be damaged, but she certainly at least seemed to already understand that you have to take the good with the bad in life and the importance of individuality. It helps that she's, yah know, got an adult's physiology, rather than the yarn-ball clusterfuck of mishmashed, confused, hair-trigger-balanced emotions known as the developing pre-teen's mind (AKA a good Eva-pilot, haha)

Moap
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Moap » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:15 am

View Original PostChainer3000 wrote:Is it possible Misato never joined in the human instrumentally project? She, like Gendo, was killed prior to the actual Rei-soul-grabbing, and that seemed to have excluded Gendo from joining in on the LCL party. I always thought it remained a bit ambiguous as to whether or not she took part.

If she did, I can't see Misato choosing not to come back after reflecting like Shinji did - she may be damaged, but she certainly at least seemed to already understand that you have to take the good with the bad in life and the importance of individuality. It helps that she's, yah know, got an adult's physiology, rather than the yarn-ball clusterfuck of mishmashed, confused, hair-trigger-balanced emotions known as the developing pre-teen's mind (AKA a good Eva-pilot, haha)

We see Rei appear to Misato before she dies in EoE, this implies her soul was gathered for 3I. There are also many scenes during 3I that depict Misato, both in EoE and EoTV, so she was definitely there. That means she is either unwilling to return to human form, or has yet to, "Imagine herself within her own heart."

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Jul 03, 2016 3:06 pm

Or that she has reappeared on a different beach/mountain/plain/whatever. It would be pretty inconvenient if the whole population were to materialise on the same beach!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Tue Jul 05, 2016 3:30 am

- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

FallenTabris
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby FallenTabris » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:55 pm

View Original PostChainer3000 wrote:Is it possible Misato never joined in the human instrumentally project? She, like Gendo, was killed prior to the actual Rei-soul-grabbing, and that seemed to have excluded Gendo from joining in on the LCL party. I always thought it remained a bit ambiguous as to whether or not she took part.

Yeah... sorry, but she dead. I'm not sure how they would even allow Asuka to come back, unless there's some theory magic having to do with her being inside an Eva when she died.

On the other hand... she was dead before third impact began, yet her personality is there during the scene where Shinji sees her memory of her and Kaji fucking. So maybe there's some loophole where she wasn't completely dead (or rather, her upper torso wasn't dead...) yet when everybody turned to LCL.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:25 am

During the "Komm, susser Tod" sequence, Rei is quite clearly seen melting down Misato's corpse for the purpose of collecting the soul within. The recently deceased were included in HIP and are thus eligible for returning afterward.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Apox
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Apox » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:02 am

View Original Postjcmoorehead wrote:Well it's down to interpretation but the chances are she did eventually come back. My assumption is that what we see on that beach is pretty much just after 3I and Asuka/Shinji are the first two to return. Yui tells us that others can return so I think it's likely that Misato will come back.

I also think her reaction to Shinji would be positive, she'd be likely to give him and possibly Asuka a massive hug after all they have gone through. I think the state of the world would shock or disturb her, but they would power through.

Whilst its true Shinji was the catalyst for the destruction it wasn't as if he had much choice and in the end he was the saviour of humanity. That destruction was going to happen regardless and if it wasn't for Rei at the last minute giving the keys to Shinji it would have ended completely in either SEELE or Gendo's favour.

Misato always struck me as a cold vengeful bitch that was putting on a "wholesome" act. After the "if you do nothing I'll never forgive you" speech, I have a hard time believing in a positive reunion (at least initially).

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Jul 08, 2016 10:44 am

View Original PostApox wrote:Misato always struck me as a cold vengeful bitch that was putting on a "wholesome" act.

It doesn't really have to be an either/or thing.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”