Battlefield 1 (WW1 FPS!)

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Battlefield 1 (WW1 FPS!)

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Fri May 06, 2016 7:45 pm

The next Battlefield game was unveiled today, and releases on October 21st. Usually this is a series I don't give a fuck about since I generally don't care for the FPS genre, but I am hyped for this one! The reason? THIS IS A WORLD WAR ONE FPS!

http://gematsu.com/2016/05/battlefield- ... -announced

Hell to the fuck yes! Dice says in the article that the players will be able to fight as infantry, ride on horseback, ride bikes (most likely motorcycles), drive tanks, fly planes, and even control full-sized battleships! And yes, there will be a single-player campaign.

Seriously, check out the trailer in the article. The game looks fucking awesome.
[Redacted]

Glor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

Re: Battlefield 1 (WW1 FPS!)

•      
  •      

Postby Glor » Fri May 06, 2016 10:14 pm

Just got up to date on this. My hype is unreal.

Glad they're adding in a campaign for this one. Battlefield 4 was just a patched BF3 with no campaign and you could play as the Chinese, which is cool, I guess.
Amarantos - an NGE AU, beginning with Asuka, Shinji, and a garden. Take a look. Couldn't hurt.

"Anything can be Evangelion related if you have the will to twist it." -Joseki.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Fri May 06, 2016 10:35 pm

The Zeppelin at the end of the trailer, piqued my interest (Airships are cool. It's a law of the universe). I hope it's possible that a person can play against the AI, as I'm not too fond of mutliplayer.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

MAGI_01
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby MAGI_01 » Sat May 07, 2016 2:12 am

Really looking forward to getting my hands on this. BF4 was pretty bland and setting this in WW1? Great move I think.
"If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid." - Me
"Has anyone ever told you how pretty your eyes are?" - Akio's most famous line.
Akio in Lance of LoL's Rebuild RP
Steam/PSN: MAGI_01 Origin: MAGI_02
Interested in a FMA based RP? Then check this out!

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Sat May 07, 2016 4:37 am

View Original PostIronEvangelion wrote:The next Battlefield game was unveiled today, and releases on October 21st. Usually this is a series I don't give a fuck about since I generally don't care for the FPS genre, but I am hyped for this one! The reason? THIS IS A WORLD WAR ONE FPS!.

I don't want to dampen the hype but there's already a World War I FPS with a more "authentic" feeling than this one (that trailer really wrankles my autism), it's called Verdun, it's been around since '13 with a strong community and good development throughout. Battlefield 1? Battlefield 1 is 1942, what they should have really called this was 1914, hah, calling it 1 only serves to confuse the fuck out of people for no purpose other than trying to sound pretentious.

Glor
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Glor » Sat May 07, 2016 7:55 am

^haha, yeah calling it 1 is pretty silly to be honest and the dubstep Seven Nation Army music for the trailer made me cringe, but it looked cool, so whatev. I've never heard of Verdun. Looks neat.
Amarantos - an NGE AU, beginning with Asuka, Shinji, and a garden. Take a look. Couldn't hurt.

"Anything can be Evangelion related if you have the will to twist it." -Joseki.

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Sat May 07, 2016 8:06 am

I agree that the name needs work. Personally I would have preferred something like Battlefield Zero, Battlefield: The Great War, or Battlefield: The Trenches. Calling it Battlefield 1 is going to confuse a lot of people. This is the first I've heard of Verdun though, is it available on consoles?

I can't help but feel this game is a middle finger to the Call of Duty series, which is going even further into futuristic nonsense with its newest game Infinite Warfare. I was getting sick of all the future war shooters these days, and judging by the overwhelmingly positive feedback for BF1 I'm not alone. :lol:
[Redacted]

xPearse
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby xPearse » Sun May 08, 2016 7:06 pm

Sweden YES! The SJWs and Feminists are on full parade with his one. Black male on the cover and ingame when they took up about 0.01% of soldiers during the conflict including colonial Africans, and female Muslim warriors. Because they both had major parts in the conflict, right? The latter part being total fiction and nonsense, I think. That, and they can't even get mustard gas right. The gas seen in the trailer is poison gas, not mustard gas because they're different colours. And the fact that the LMGs during the time could not be carried around and shot from the waist like that as they're meant to be set up. Meh. Also don't like how they're trying to portray the conflict as happy fun time when it was literally hell in horrible conditions.
Evangelion, Higurashi, Terra Formars and video game translations
http://pearsehillock.blogspot.co.uk/

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Sun May 08, 2016 7:49 pm

This is an interesting choice of setting since for one ever other FPS right now goes towards the future and space.

Verdun also looks pretty cool, I didn't know it existed. But Battlefield will for sure bring some things new.

Just wonder how many inaccurate aspects will be in this game if any at all. Battlefield does a good job for keeping the times accurate for the most part, but they may need to go outside the lines a little here. Also they could do a whole bunch with Gas weapons.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Sun May 08, 2016 7:57 pm

View Original PostxPearse wrote:Black male on the cover and ingame when they took up about 0.01% of soldiers during the conflict including colonial Africans, and female Muslim warriors. Because they both had major parts in the conflict, right?

One of the playable characters is supposed to be a member of the Harlem Hellfighters, so that's probably him on the cover. Cool choice, I think. I love it when games like this let us play as the niche groups most people have never heard of instead of shoveling out cookie-cutter MURICA! MCs. Plus there's a shortage of cool black MCs in video games and I think he fits the bill nicely. The cover art is beautiful, by the way.
SPOILER: Show

Also don't like how they're trying to portray the conflict as happy fun time when it was literally hell in horrible conditions.

Almost every war shooter does this to some degree, barring a few like Spec Ops: The Line. What makes this one worthy of singling out? I mean, the Call of Duty franchise's recent installments have practically turned war into a circus.

I myself really didn't see anything in the BF1 trailer that made it seem like a happy fun time, but if that's the angle they went for then it's eerily historically accurate as far as the WW1 propaganda goes. The propaganda basically made the war look like a glorious contest of manliness, and then when the starry-eyed recruits got to the battlefield they got the rug pulled out from underneath them. Maybe that's what DICE is going for: Make the game look like an exciting adventure in the trailers and then lay on the mindfuck in the actual game. I'd love it if they did this.

The one big thing I'm hoping for in this game is the ability to play as the Central Powers (Germany, Austria-Hungary, the Ottoman Empire, and Bulgaria) as well as the Allied Powers. It would be really neat to experience the war from their perspectives.
[Redacted]

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Sun May 08, 2016 9:05 pm

Found some new info on the game! One of DICE's main goals is to make the playable characters as diverse as they can. For instance, the Bedouin warrior woman from the trailer is one of the playable characters.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/battle ... n=homepage

As for the character on Battlefield 1's cover, an African-American Harlem Hellfighter, Berlin said putting him on the cover was meant to represent EA's overall goal of spotlighting lesser-known elements of WW1.

"When we set out on this game, we wanted to depict not just the common view of what the war was like," he explained. "We wanted to challenge some preconceptions. We want to delve into some of the unknowns of WW1. Maybe people don't know that this person fought or that person fought, that this army was involved. We're stretching out and bringing all those stories into the game."

Awesome, this keeps sounding better and better!
[Redacted]

BobBQ
Dyskolos
Dyskolos

•      
  •      

Postby BobBQ » Mon May 09, 2016 3:04 pm

View Original PostxPearse wrote:Sweden YES! The SJWs and Feminists are on full parade with his one.

Don't bring that shit in here.

xPearse
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby xPearse » Mon May 09, 2016 7:02 pm

View Original PostIronEvangelion wrote:Found some new info on the game! One of DICE's main goals is to make the playable characters as diverse as they can. For instance, the Bedouin warrior woman from the trailer is one of the playable characters.

Historical accuracy galore.
Evangelion, Higurashi, Terra Formars and video game translations
http://pearsehillock.blogspot.co.uk/

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon May 09, 2016 7:06 pm

How realistic are we talking here? I don't want realism from this game, I want an entire team having a dance party on top of a zeppelin and racing those goofy looking 40k tanks they had back in the day.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Wed May 11, 2016 7:33 pm

Here's an interview with the developers. Very interesting. And we may get to pilot zeppelins! :headbang:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/battle ... 0-6439710/
[Redacted]

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Wed May 11, 2016 8:02 pm

Someone will still find a way to launch themselves from a plane and kill somebody while landing safely on the ground.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed May 11, 2016 8:14 pm

Further we will pledge by the end of this decade to kill a man on the moon and return him safely to the earth!
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Wed May 11, 2016 9:46 pm

^ Wolfenstein: TNO already did that, and it was awesome. :lol:
[Redacted]

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”