Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

zlink64
Israfel
Israfel

War anime recommendation

•      
  •      

Postby zlink64 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:46 pm

Anyone know any anime that talk about war. Like where they talk about their reasons and causes for going to war? Could be any genre. I just wanna watch something about war. Doesn't have to be huge war. It could something small like in Basilisk. Just something that talks about conflict in general. I'd prefer an anime that makes a big deal about this but I'll check out any recommendation. If you think there's an anime that has anything interesting to say on subject I'd like to hear it.TY.
hmmm
http://animeanalysis.com /(Blog where I write anime stuff like above)

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: War anime recommendation

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:57 pm

Does "Now and Then, Here and There" count? It's not about the reasons (mad king in this case), but covers child soldiers and the dehumanisation caused by pointless conflict. (Don't be fooled by the start - it gets heavy pretty quick after that.) Only one cour.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

zlink64
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby zlink64 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:03 pm

Never heard of it. I'll check out. Not really what I had in mind but definitely within the same realm of what I was looking for. Thanks.
hmmm

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:53 pm

In many cases, war in anime is used as a vehicle for a fairly unsubtle message of pacifism and UNDERSTANDING, rather than taking an "in it to win it" attitude. This sort of thing happens even when the opposition is some form of alien monstrosity -- the first season of Strike Witches being an example. The war genre also has a high level of overlap with real-robot, so the /m/en on this board would be best placed to advise on that aspect.

I do just have to recommend Simoun in this context, though that is more a character driven drama, about priestesses unwillingly weaponised; and also Sora no Woto, though that is more about an exhausted peace and avoiding another war.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:06 pm

From the way you describe it i think you could be interested in the following:

1. Now and then, Here and there
2. Valkyria Chronicles
3. The Heroic Legend of Arslan

You should also check:

1. Gundam 00
2. Code Geass
3. Aldnoah.Zero
4. Maria the Virgin Witch
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:09 am

Legend of the Galactic Heroes is obviously the big, obvious title. Captain Tylor is a fabulous comedic take to watch after it. Grave of the Fireflies is often mentioned as one of the best war films ever, animated or otherwise. If you go with Gundam, I'd advise to follow the production order and start from the very beginning with the original Mobile Suit Gundam, perhaps followed by 0080.

As a more left field option, I'd actually say that Shiki is a pretty good treatise on intolerance and the terror of lunatic leaders.

zlink64
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby zlink64 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:01 pm

I've seen a few of these recommendations but not most. Thanks a bunch. Ill check them all out. Also didn't mention this in in the beginning but I was asking for recommendation because I was trying to think of a topic for a youtube video about war and anime. Anyways thanks for help.
hmmm

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:36 pm

Then I'll echo Dr. Nick's recommendation of Gundam 0080 - War in the Pocket. I nearly mentioned it before, but it's about the effects of war, not the reasons - which you appeared to be looking for.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:03 pm

Here's several:

-Momotaro's Divine Sea Warriors: Was produced during WW II and was Japan's first animated feature film. You can find subbed versions on Youtube.
-The Cockpit
-Venus Wars
-Gundam Wing
-Super Dimension Cavalry Southern Cross
-Genesis Climber MOSPEADA
-Record of Lodoss War OVA

-First Squad: I only put this down because of the WW II setting and concept but beyond that it's hard to recommend. The film intersperses commentary with live action actors to try and create an air that this really happened, but it's distracting and chews up screen time. The Russian hip hop video by Ligalize that came first is better: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PifZgyL ... tml5=False
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:48 am

The Cockpit. Definitely.

FLAG.

... Actually, just about every other thing by Ryōsuke Takahashi.

Area 88. OVA > series, but they're both fine.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

xPearse
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby xPearse » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:12 am

Anime and manga don't exactly convey the themes and intensity of war very well, but I would recommend Saikano. It's not exactly war orientated but it handles the war present in the show and its effects extremely well. One of my favourite anime of all time. Also, prepare to cry.
Evangelion, Higurashi, Terra Formars and video game translations
http://pearsehillock.blogspot.co.uk/

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:44 am

I don't know about war per se, but Yukikaze has some of the best dogfight sequences ever animated. The radio chatter is particularly good, as is the general "what the fuck just happened?" confusion that's typical of battlefield conditions.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:43 am

i would also like to add the Crest/Banner of the Stars series if you care for more of a space opera sort of story.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:32 pm

Galactic Heroes is probably the only one that has anything interesting to say about IRL war, beyond just using it as a backdrop for action and melodrama.

I guess a lot of the Gundamns and mech stuff influenced by them have been a means of Japanese pop culture talking about warfare in a "safe" fantasy setting without invoking the imposing specter of history.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Apr 16, 2016 3:16 am

View Original Postgatotsu911 wrote:Galactic Heroes is probably the only one that has anything interesting to say about IRL war

FLAG's meta-commentary about War Photo-journalism of U.N. peacekeeping missions isn't interesting? A "story about telling stories"?

Or The Cockpit's shorts which gives us WWII from the perspective of the grunts that fought it, and how an Ohka pilot from an innocuous background is tragically drawn into the bloody atmosphere to lay down his life in one of the most horrendous ways possible?

Or Area 88, of how war can change you, draw you, even though it was originally forced upon you?
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:53 pm

I came here to post about FLAG, but it looks like Alaska Slim beat me to it.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Return to “Anime and Manga”