Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

Escaflowne Kickstarter Blu-Ray Extravaganza '016

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:53 pm

So Funimation is re-releasing Escaflowne on Blu-Ray - but they're not just re-releasing it on Blu-Ray, they're also doing some Kickstarter thing to gauge interest in a super-deluxe release with a new dub, director and production staff being brought over for a US con, and possibly other special features and stuff involving said director and production staff?

I'm not really a huge Escaflowne fan (I haven't seen it in years) but this mainly interests me on accident of the precedent it could set for other older series, including - needless to say - Eva. Like, if they did something like this for NGE I would happily toss hundreds of dollars at it in a heartbeat. I would be all over that shit.

Anyway here's the link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fu ... escription
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Re: Escaflowne Kickstarter Blu-Ray Extravaganza '016

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:41 pm

Will the original dub be available as an option? I've got a bit of a nostalgiac attachment to it despite its cheesiness.

gatotsu911
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby gatotsu911 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:36 pm

According to the KS page it'll be included on DVDs.

I feel kinda bad for people who liked the original dub (though I haven't seen it myself) considering it sure seems like Funimation will be doing the new one with their usual in-crowd and not the original VAs up in Canada. I hope that doesn't set a precedent for the future. I could do without hearing the same damn people doing the same damn voices in every single Funimation-produced dub job.

Still, though. They got Kawamori. Man.
"I am shocked, SHOCKED, that a regular on an Evangelion forum would be a self-hating mess." - Tarnsman, paraphrased

"Jesus Christ, why are we even still talking about this shit?" - The Eva Monkey, summing up Evageeks in a sentence

Avatar: The Frozen Flame ~ Where Angels Lose Their Way

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:07 pm

They are redubbing it because they are releasing the director's cut episodes, which have never been available in the US before. They think it will be easier to do a new dub instead of trying to make the old dub fit around the new footage, as well as having to track down all the old voice actors.

They wouldn't need to do the same for Evangelion because the director's cut episodes have already been dubbed.

I ended up supporting the Kickstarter, because I want Funimation to know there is interest in old anime.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:37 pm

I just hope Funimation recruits mostly new talent like they did for their Psycho-Pass Dub.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:39 pm

I would love to support this, but the tiers with the rewards I'd want to justify bothering don't ship outside the USA and Canada.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Return to “Anime and Manga”