Anomalisa

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Anomalisa

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:04 pm

Anomalisa, directed by Charlie Kaufman, is by many critic's standards, the best movie of 2015--by which I mean it's gotten better review than Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Inside Out, or even Mad Max: Fury Road. It was given a limited release on December 30th, and will be getting a wide release this coming weekend.
And it is done completely in stop-motion animation.
Have any of you seen it?
What did you think of it if you did?
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Re: Anomalisa

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:07 pm

Trailer looks interesting, but I'm completely at a loss as to why they did the stop-motion gimmick. Why use such an expensive and time-consuming process for something that looks entirely mundane?
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:41 pm

Because it's mundane. Seriously, that's the point. You might as well ask why KyoAni is successful when they're animating slice of life nonsense. I mean, that's ordinary, right? Why not just do it live action, it'd be much easier. But that's not the point.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:06 pm

At least with slice-of-life anime there's a certain superflat moe asthetic quality to be sold, but here they seem to be trying to aim for a very life-like feel rather than amping up the stylization the medium could offer. Unless the point is simply to give it some stand-out feature as oscar bait I don't get it, and even then it feels like a poor budgetary decision for something that could have been produced on a sundance-level investment.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:26 am

Well, that certainly hasn't stopped it from getting good reviews.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Return to “Film and Video”