Do you think Anno did drugs?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

chaosakita
Leliel
Leliel

Do you think Anno did drugs?

•      
  •      

Postby chaosakita » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:34 pm

Think about it, the idea of breaking down your AT field is a lot like LSD.
Avatar: Shinji and Kaworu get ice cream

TheAdmiral
Adam

Re: Do you think Anno did drugs?

•      
  •      

Postby TheAdmiral » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:05 pm

View Original Postchaosakita wrote:Think about it, the idea of breaking down your AT field is a lot like LSD.

...Or like breaking-down the barrier of the ego ;)

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:45 am

He dropped LSD, but he never inhaled.

Wait...

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:00 am

Based on the impression of him and the society he lives in, I'd say almost certainly not.

You don't need drugs to experience ego death anyway.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:05 am

^ Maybe Anno is the drug.

Sorry, I don't know how seriously this is supposed to be taken. I personally don't think he did drugs for basically the same reasons Chuckman specified. That, and if he did drugs we'd probably never hear from him again.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:06 am

Antidepressants, maybe.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:39 am

Alcohol? Caffeine?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:40 am

Coffee does appear rather frequently in NGE
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:31 am

And beer, for that matter!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:36 pm

Moyoco did say in Insufficient Directionthat he liked to drink lots of beer, which led in part to him being so heavy for a time.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:02 pm

Some of the most sober people have made some of the most surreal cracked out crap, and some of the most drugged out strung out people have made some of the most straight laced serious stuff you've ever seen.

Hunter S Thompson, anyone?

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:12 pm

For us sober people, art is how we try to experience illegal drugs. Why take LSD when I can make a trippy movie?

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:26 pm

I'm so sick of this "if something is creative, it must have been influenced by drugs" thing. I've been seeing it over and over again for most of the time I've been alive.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:52 pm

Tumbling Down: The meme seems to arise from a fundamental misunderstanding of how many creative minds work. I also find the nonspecificity of the word "drug" to produce a fair amount of irony. I mean, I assume hallucinogenics are what was meant, but it's hard for someone like me to hear "this show is so weird, the creator must've used drugs", since I've been put on drugs to make me more "normal". Far from assisting the creative juices, psychiatric drugs tend to stem them instead.
Last edited by Reichu on Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:54 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Tumbling Down: The meme seems to arise from a fundamental misunderstanding of how many creative minds work. I also find the nonspecificity of the word "drug" to produce a fair amount of irony.

Hehe. I'm one of those guys who didn't pay attention in health class. "Yeah, I get it, drugs are bad. Why do I have to learn all the different ways in which all the different drugs are bad? Eff this class."

Moap
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Moap » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:56 pm

A lot of the scenes in NGE almost directly tie in to common themes/hallucinations Ive heard others report and some that I've seen myself whilst under the influence of strong hallucinogens such as LSD and Mushrooms. However, these same hallucinations can be induced by being sleep deprived, starved, or in a survival situation; of course many of these are no doubt onset by the body's release of DMT, that's still a lot different than smoking it yourself. My point is that you can trip hard without ever touching drugs, a shaman I know claims he has trip feelings after intense yoga sessions, and tons of people have claimed to me they can get to an alternate state of mind through meditation.

Also as far as I know Japan's society is much less accepting of drugs than the US, so I think it's extremely unlikely that Anno is or ever was a regular drug user. Did he try them and draw inspiration from it? Maybe, I've always liked to think the water droplet cuts are an LSD reference.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:04 pm

View Original PostMoap wrote:I've always liked to think the water droplet cuts are an LSD reference.

I've heard that they're a reference to the Japanese creation myth, which seems a little more germane to NGE's themes than LSD. :tongue:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Moap
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Moap » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:24 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:I've heard that they're a reference to the Japanese creation myth, which seems a little more germane to NGE's themes than LSD. :tongue:

Well if you believe in Stoned Ape theory than most of the symbolism in NGE can be traced back to hard hallucinogens, notably Psilocybe/Amanita mushrooms and also Peyote here in the Americas. LSD might not have been synthesized until the 20th century, but it certainly produces a similar experience. And you don't need to take just the words of hippies on that, studies have shown that tolerances to one of these hard hallucinogens also influences the tolerance to the other ones. LSD could be considered the hallucinogen of the new century, but that is a bit of a stretch.

Even if Anno did believe in Stoned Ape theory though, that hardly makes it a sure thing Anno or the production team did these drugs firsthand. /there are dozens of trip reports online to read for people curious about what its like: So even if there are drug references in Evangelion, its doesn't mean that Anno did them. Of course why would you make art about a drug if you hadn't been inspired by it personally?
I think Eva's symbolism is like an onion, it could be both. On one level it could be the creation of Japan, on the other level is could be LSD.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:28 pm

Anno may not have taken any drugs, but he damn near created one. A helplessly addicting dive into the psyche, full of Freudian symbols and rapidly flashing images that leave you in altered state of mind and questioning who you are by the end of it, complete with random flashbacks years after the fact? The only thing missing is a broken family, bankruptcy, and a lifetime of regret, but I still have years of merchandise collecting before I can completely rule that one out.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:31 pm

The answer to this question is hidden in a cave... A cave hidden deep somewhere in a virgin island discovered by three children set adrift after an intense battle at sea.

Yes, I see the answer there, deep inside that hidden island cave, and it is mushrooms! Mushrooms eaten by Shinji Higuchi in the absence of Hideaki Anno.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”