Independence Day Sequel

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Independence Day Sequel

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:09 am

Will Smiths not going to be in it? Screw you Roland I'm not gonna-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbduDRH2m2M

Okay. I'll check that out.

My man Goldblums back!

xPearse
Ramiel
Ramiel

Re: Independence Day Sequel

•      
  •      

Postby xPearse » Mon Dec 14, 2015 8:46 am

Looks awesome. Got a lot of Robotech vibes off it.
Evangelion, Higurashi, Terra Formars and video game translations
http://pearsehillock.blogspot.co.uk/

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:02 am

When that voice said that they found something only Goldblum's character would understand, I seriously thought that they were talking about TV satellite dishes. Because that was his job in the first movie.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:04 pm

I was just 'meh okay' for Star Wars, but I was all "Mah Childhood!' for this.

Having said that, this IS Roland Emmerich we're talking about. The dude hasn't made a decent movie since Independence day, and as much as I enjoy 10000 BC and 2012, there will never come a day I will ever admit they were good movies.

What made the original independence day work was that it didn't really take itself too seriously. It was an uncomplicated story told extremely well.

Lindsay Ellis did a great series of video's talking about why Roland Emmerich disaster movies succeed or fail, using Independence Day as a point of comparison to his other not-so good disaster movies.

Here's a link for Part 1 of the series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXejkwV-I9g

Also, Bill Pullman. Lone Starr from Spaceballs, and still the best movie president ever

Edit: Here's a link to their Viral Marketing website. Set in the alternate history that diverged from the 1996 invasion.

http://www.warof1996.com/

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:40 pm

I can 100% assure you that Will Smith not being in Independence Day is in no way a fault of Roland Emmerich. It is entirely Will Smith's choice. And knowing Will Smith he probably wanted too much money, or wanted the script to be rewritten because he needs to be the main character OR he just doesn't want to make the movie because as an insane Scientologist he doesn't want to upset Lord Xenu & his horde of airplane looking DC-8 spaceships by saying aliens are evil. That's why Will Smith came up with the story and personally oversaw every aspect of After Earth, which basically pushes agenda so much it might as well be called Scientology 101.

Frankly, movie will be fine without him. If Roland Emmerich hasn't made a good movie in 20 years, Will Smith hasn't done anything worthwhile in just as much time.

But, the nostalgia is strong with this one. Though I'm mostly excited to see what kind of soon-to-be-archaic-but-currently-is-in-demand technology Goldblum is going to use this time to take down the aliens! Hopefully they've upgraded their security because if they could be taken down by Windows 96 an eight-year-old with an iPhone is going to be a major threat to these guys!

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:43 pm

The concept of fully integrating the alien tech to rebuild Earth is a neat one and never even occurred to me.

This looks epic, I hope it turns out to be good.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:56 pm

While the original Independence Day is great and all, it's rather generic. This, however, looks like it has potential with the premise of Earth tech having been upgraded with alien tech. The tired rehash of the famous speech in the trailer kills much of my excitement though. My expectations as of now are meh.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:30 pm

I don't mean this as an insult, I am asking this as an honest question. Is there any movie you are excited about?
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:46 pm

^ Godzilla 2016.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:14 pm

Supposedly, Will Smith demanded at least 50 million to get back in the role but Fox refused to play ball so he declined. As for the Scientologist angle, i saw After Earth just once and not once did i see any Scientology parallel and if he IS a Scientologist, he must be paying good money to keep it hidden from the public...
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:29 pm

It's hard to miss. The entirety of After Earth is Kitai not learning to overcome fear & "negative emotions" but just toss them aside to "uncover his self".

http://www.vulture.com/2013/05/after-earth-will-smith-love-letter-to-scientology.html

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/a-scientologist-reviews-earth-guest-561310

With all the nonsense Tom Cruise & John Travolta get about being Scientologists at least they're honest & open with their insanity. Plus, Cruise at least puts 150% into every one of his movies. Will Smith doesn't even put 10% into his movies now. He's really just waiting around until Hollywood makes the unpreventable "Obama" biopic.

Frankly, ID4-2 will be better off without Will Smith. I've really become an anti-fan of his as of late. He's incredibly phony. I was annoyed recently when he changed his outlook on why he didn't star in Quentin Tarantino's "Django Unchained". In 2012 he admitted "Yeah, Christoph Waltz had all the good lines & Django doesn't take charge until the third act. Nah huh. I'm Will Smith. I gotta get all the best lines." Now in 2015 he's all "The film encouraged violence which is wrong. Violence is evil. I'm a zen master. ..... By the way, be sure to go see me in SUICIDE SQUAD in 2016."

Any who, back to ID4-2 - Looks fun. Dumb. Like super dumb. But fun.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:34 pm

He got too big as a star a long time ago.

He has a staff of script doctors who come in and make sure any movie he participates in fits the Will Smith Brand. That's what happened to I Am Legend. Will Smith can't star in a movie where the hero turns out to be a monster at the end, so his script doctors made him a self-sacrificing savior figure.
the prophecy is true

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:45 pm

Oh well, I STILL plan on seeing Suicide Squad but NOT for Will Smith. Gotta see how my jolly dolly Harley gets handled in live action! ^_^

Back on topic, I wonder how big the Chinese pilot woman's role will be. I think I saw the Dylan character lead a squadron in an aerial battle versus the aliens so maybe the Americans and Chinese will fight side by side which I think is different from real life politics, not sure because I don't watch the news much.
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:47 pm

Going by the promo site they've worked out an alternate history and yes, there's Chinese-US cooperation.

I know the "pandering to international markets" accusation is inevitable but honestly, the world was ravaged by an alien invasion. I know we're all cynics but we could at least hope that would bring mankind together, yes?

I can't decide if the little bit on the promo site explaining what happened to Will Smith's character is petty or not.
Last edited by Chuckman on Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the prophecy is true

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:48 pm

Never cared for the first one so personally kinda "meh" either way.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:27 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I don't mean this as an insult, I am asking this as an honest question. Is there any movie you are excited about?

Star Wars. Legend. Captain America: Civil War. Godzilla 2016. Suicide Squad. Batman v. Superman. Hateful 8.

Don't let my cool and reserved demeanor fool you. Behind this dull and expressionless avatar is a zealous, geeky child.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Mon Dec 14, 2015 5:45 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Going by the promo site they've worked out an alternate history and yes, there's Chinese-US cooperation.

I know the "pandering to international markets" accusation is inevitable but honestly, the world was ravaged by an alien invasion. I know we're all cynics but we could at least hope that would bring mankind together, yes?

As long as they don't portray the American government/characters as dumb and/or corrupt and the Chinese Government and army as smart and in every way superior to the US government and military I don't mind too much.

Personally, I think the best way to go about portraying the military in this movie it is to look to the 2014 Godzilla movie. That portrayed the US government and military as capable and competent, but dealing with something beyond their ability to fight.

But a movie can't be shown in China if it portrays the Chinese Military as weak or incapable. So. . . I am a bit nervous this could quickly go into Communist-Wank like T4 did.

Having said that, I am cautiously optimistic for this.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:11 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Personally, I think the best way to go about portraying the military in this movie it is to look to the 2014 Godzilla movie. That portrayed the US government and military as capable and competent, but dealing with something beyond their ability to fight.

Did we watch the same movie? The military in Godzilla 2014 ignored advice from experts, launched a ridiculous plan that was the main source of tension in the movie and legitimately more dangerous than the damn monsters, and more than once panicked and open fire on Godzilla who pretty much just ignored them and carried on.
the prophecy is true

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:18 pm

Absolutely pointless. Though I guess they could have gone one better than that and remade the original.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:20 pm

I too hate fun.
the prophecy is true

Return to “Film and Video”