Human-Readable URLs are Back

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

Human-Readable URLs are Back

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Thu Dec 10, 2015 11:22 pm

...And you are all my guinea pigs.

Tell me if something breaks.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Human-Readable URLs are Back

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:39 am

I hover over the "Human-Readable URLs are Back" at the top of the page and the link that shows is "http://forum.evageeks.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17980". The post URLs you get from the Image links are properly semantic
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:44 am

I don't know what that means.

If it means "The link in your URL bar depends on how you got to the page" then yeah, it differs, and it looks like I haven't covered every angle from which one can get to a particular post/topic.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:51 am

The page mark-up contains this HTML for the topic title

Code: Select all

<h2 class="topic-title"><a href="./../../../viewtopic.php?f=1&amp;t=17980">Human-Readable URLs are Back</a></h2>

rather than

<h2 class="topic-title"><a href="http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/17980/Human-Readable-URLs-are-Back/">Human-Readable URLs are Back</a></h2>

or its relative path equivalent.

By contrast, individual posts do have the semantic URLs

<p class="author"><a href="./../../../post/820498/Human-Readable-URLs-are-Back/#p820498"><span class="imageset icon_post_target" title="Post">Post</span></a><span class="responsive-hide">by <strong><a href="./../../../memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&amp;u=3527" style="color: #FF7F00;" class="username-coloured">Monk Ed</a></strong> » </span>Fri Dec 11, 2015 04:22 UTC </p>
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:56 am

Yeah, that changes depending on how you get to the page. If you select the topic from the forum view, for example, it should show up as (...)/thread/(number)/(title)/etc.
System Administrator

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:56 am

I think this broke the quote button.

Edit: or maybe you were doing something else and that made it stop working briefly. dunno.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:04 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Edit: or maybe you were doing something else and that made it stop working briefly.

This one.

Sorry.

*cough cough*

So was that outage just now.

This isn't how it's like for all my other ironing out of kinks -- it's just that I can't test this code out on the test instance due to difficulties getting it to understand the rewritten URLs.
System Administrator

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:37 am

...Okay, finally. The "last post" link on the forum view should have a human readable URL now.

:sweat:

I think I still need to implement having a human readable URL when you submit a post or edit. Any other holes I missed?
System Administrator

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:57 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:...And you are all my guinea pigs.

Tell me if something breaks.

Confirmed. Links appear to work in Ghosts. Thanks, Monk!
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:03 am

That was actually a separate issue, oddly enough, and solved a completely different way (by inserting a new anchor into every post -- both #p and # links work now). Not that I would expect you to know that. I sure didn't!
System Administrator

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:58 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:Yeah, that changes depending on how you get to the page. If you select the topic from the forum view, for example, it should show up as (...)/thread/(number)/(title)/etc.

I navigated from

http://forum.evageeks.org/index.php

which linked me to

http://forum.evageeks.org/viewforum.php?f=1

which linked me to

http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/17980/Human-Readable-URLs-are-Back/?f=1

and that page contains the mark-up

<a href="./../../../viewtopic.php?f=1&amp;t=17980">Human-Readable URLs are Back</a>

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:47 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:That was actually a separate issue, oddly enough, and solved a completely different way (by inserting a new anchor into every post -- both #p and # links work now). Not that I would expect you to know that. I sure didn't!

Oh. Well, thanks for solving it anyway! :tongue:
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:11 am

:sweat: Pagination links should canonize now. That means that when you click on a page, regardless of what the page button tells you the link is it should redirect to the correct one once you get there.

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:The page mark-up contains this HTML for the topic title

With redirects now active, clicking that link regardless of what it says should go to the correct semantic URL. But I assume it's bad practice to rely on a redirect like that?
System Administrator

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:36 am

good news... haven't seen that error in a while.

bad news... new post links take me to the first post in the thread instead.
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:56 am

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:But I assume it's bad practice to rely on a redirect like that?
It's an extra hit on the server; and it's also a regression from where we were last month.

I notice it because I was used to, when an appropriate question arose, looking up list of threads by title in the summary pages that Ornette had added, which just had the thread number in their URL, clicking through to the front page, then copying the semantic link from the thread title under the banner.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sat Dec 12, 2015 5:59 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:bad news... new post links take me to the first post in the thread instead.

How 'bout now?

Mr. Tines wrote:It's an extra hit on the server; and it's also a regression from where we were last month.

I figured.

Yeah, gotta find out where in the code that URL is formed...
System Administrator

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:14 am

latest post links on the index work. latest post links on the 'unread posts' page do not.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:26 am

:doh: I completely forgot about that page!

I fixed it the cheap way for now. Maybe that's the only way it needs to be fixed.

EDIT: The same problem with relative URLs that's been causing other issues also makes the pagination on the page when you go to an unread post act weird too. This rabbit hole of special cases seems to get deeper all the time. PHPBB 3.1 really doesn't like URL rewriting.
System Administrator

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Dec 13, 2015 11:50 am

Follow the topic Image latest post link to

http://forum.evageeks.org/post/820778/What-are-Arael-and-Leliel-respective-modes-of-attack/#820778

Click the "Board index" link at the bottom of that page, get

No route found for "GET /post/index.php"

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sun Dec 13, 2015 12:19 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Follow the topic Image latest post link to

http://forum.evageeks.org/post/820778/What-are-Arael-and-Leliel-respective-modes-of-attack/#820778

Click the "Board index" link at the bottom of that page, get

No route found for "GET /post/index.php"

:headscratch: Works fine for me. Or did I fix it in between without knowing it?
System Administrator

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”