friend/foe and ignore options

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Dima
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee
User avatar
Age: 30
Posts: 1385
Joined: Nov 12, 2012
Location: Italy
Gender: Male

friend/foe and ignore options

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Dima » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:48 am

So i noticed that this new version has an ignore function. I decided to stop using the script of Mr.Tines as soon as the forum changed because i feared it wouldn't support it and started using this one. The problem is that i can't put in ignore one person that is a mod. Does this version of the forum supports Mr.Tines script? I edited it before checking it out and i will be on mobile for a few days so it's not easy to test it.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator
User avatar
Age: 63
Posts: 20673
Joined: Nov 23, 2004
Location: This sceptered isle.
Gender: Male
Contact:

Re: Forum Wackiness

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:45 pm

View Original PostDima wrote:SDoes this version of the forum supports Mr.Tines script?
Not as it stands -- the script relies on the forum HTML mark-up structure and that is completely different in the new version (especially as we'd heavily customized the old one). Watch this space (but don't expect speedy action, as I'm being snowed under at work ATM).
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics|🕊|🐸|MAL
Avatar: Ritsu-nyan

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope
User avatar
Posts: 15804
Joined: Jun 28, 2008
Location: St. Louis
Gender: Male

Re: Forum Wackiness

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby NemZ » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:18 pm

No, you can't block me. Staff business means you need to see what I have to say sometimes, and the rest of the time you just gotta deal with it.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Dima
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee
User avatar
Age: 30
Posts: 1385
Joined: Nov 12, 2012
Location: Italy
Gender: Male

Re: Forum Wackiness

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Dima » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:22 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:Not as it stands -- the script relies on the forum HTML mark-up structure and that is completely different in the new version (especially as we'd heavily customized the old one). Watch this space (but don't expect speedy action, as I'm being snowed under at work ATM).


Thanks for letting me know Mr. Tines.

View Original PostNemZ wrote:No, you can't block me. Staff business means you need to see what I have to say sometimes, and the rest of the time you just gotta deal with it.


Yes, i can and i will do it as soon as the new script is ready. It's not forbidden by the Forum Rules and i don't appreciate neither your opinion neither your work as a mod. Thankfully this forum has many mods and admins in case they want to talk me about any issue. Of course you never done any of that expect of calling me an asshole, deleting my messages without explaining why and sending me pms about Bagheera telling me to stop talking about him or quoting him or mentioning him like you are his lawyer, especially when i was the first one in public that asked Bagheera to stop quoting me or talking to me.
Last edited by Dima on Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Posts: 24046
Joined: Aug 21, 2004
Location: Sailing for the white shores
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: Forum Wackiness

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Reichu » Tue Dec 08, 2015 10:51 am

View Original PostDima wrote:i can and i will do it as soon as the new script is ready.

You mean the script that's being put together by another member of the staff? :whistle:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao
User avatar
Age: 23
Posts: 10212
Joined: Dec 13, 2012
Location: 可塑の椅子

Re: Forum Wackiness

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:03 pm

The only problem that I imagine arising from blocking a staff member would be a user not knowing if they were receiving a red-text warning, and that would be a problem that would only affect that user. It wouldn't matter to the rest of us, since the user using the block program would suffer the consequences of failing to heed mod orders regardless of whether or not they actually saw the mod order.

The point is moot. If I want to ignore a moderator or an administrator, it changes neither what they are telling me nor the consequence I shall receive. I will have simply deprived myself of the opportunity to see my punishment coming.

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante
User avatar
Age: 25
Posts: 3908
Joined: Apr 23, 2010
Location: Outer Space Jupiter
Gender: Male

Re: Forum Wackiness

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby TehDonutKing » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:42 pm

View Original PostDima wrote:Yes, i can and i will do it as soon as the new script is ready. It's not forbidden by the Forum Rules and i don't appreciate neither your opinion neither your work as a mod. Thankfully this forum has many mods and admins in case they want to talk me about any issue. Of course you never done any of that expect of calling me an asshole, deleting my messages without explaining why and sending me pms about Bagheera telling me to stop talking about him or quoting him or mentioning him like you are his lawyer, especially when i was the first one in public that asked Bagheera to stop quoting me or talking to me.

I've run afoul of the staff before, but when they tell me to do something, i realize i have two options: obey, or leave. It's their forum; they can ban me as they please. I may not agree with all of their decisions, but i have to go along with them. I may complain or whatever, but in the end, if i don't convince them, then i do as they say. Besides, having a list of people you ignore in your signature is pretty assholish.
avatar drawn by ToKki

Dima
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee
User avatar
Age: 30
Posts: 1385
Joined: Nov 12, 2012
Location: Italy
Gender: Male

Re: Forum Wackiness

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Dima » Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:45 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:The only problem that I imagine arising from blocking a staff member would be a user not knowing if they were receiving a red-text warning, and that would be a problem that would only affect that user. It wouldn't matter to the rest of us, since the user using the block program would suffer the consequences of failing to heed mod orders regardless of whether or not they actually saw the mod order.

The point is moot. If I want to ignore a moderator or an administrator, it changes neither what they are telling me nor the consequence I shall receive. I will have simply deprived myself of the opportunity to see my punishment coming.


I don't know about the others but as you can see at my signature i list the names of the members that i choose to ignore. I am only doing this because in case they want to quote me or say something to me they must be aware that i won't see what they wrote. So for example if a member of the staff that i choose to ignore wants to say something to me about a forum issue, he will see his name at my signature and will have to ask an other member of the staff to tell me what's going on.

Of course the blocked mod doesn't have to ask an other mod to deliver a message. He only has to write it and think ''well i warned him, it's his fault if he won't see it and lead him to a ban''. But in Nemz's case it's a risk i am willing to take. If someone arrives at the point to block a member of the staff (or any other member) must mean that there is a pretty good reason (at least in my case).
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope
User avatar
Posts: 15804
Joined: Jun 28, 2008
Location: St. Louis
Gender: Male

Re: Forum Wackiness

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby NemZ » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:10 pm

View Original PostDima wrote:Yes, i can and i will do it as soon as the new script is ready. It's not forbidden by the Forum Rules and i don't appreciate neither your opinion neither your work as a mod.


With the friend/foe option restored there is no need for such a script. Also you might want to re-read rule 1.3:
Listen to the staff. We're just trying to keep the peace so giving us attitude won't help you much.

As for your other complaints, there are reasons for my and other staff members' actions whether you understand and acknowledge them or not.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Posts: 24046
Joined: Aug 21, 2004
Location: Sailing for the white shores
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: Forum Wackiness

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Reichu » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:31 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:With the friend/foe option restored there is no need for such a script.

The feature as-is is imperfect, allowing quote boxes and PMs through. Tines' script, incidentally, took care of both those complaints.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Dima
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee
User avatar
Age: 30
Posts: 1385
Joined: Nov 12, 2012
Location: Italy
Gender: Male

Re: Forum Wackiness

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Dima » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:39 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:The feature as-is is imperfect, allowing quote boxes and PMs through. Tines' script, incidentally, took care of both those complaints.


What? You are serious? This ignore function is a nightmare.......
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog
User avatar
Posts: 18646
Joined: Oct 15, 2010

Re: Forum Wackiness

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Bagheera » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:46 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:The feature as-is is imperfect, allowing quote boxes and PMs through. Tines' script, incidentally, took care of both those complaints.


Allowing said script to work on staff posts seems like a phenomenally bad idea, for obvious reasons.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Posts: 24046
Joined: Aug 21, 2004
Location: Sailing for the white shores
Gender: Female
Contact:

Re: Forum Wackiness

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Reichu » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:50 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Allowing said script to work on staff posts seems like a phenomenally bad idea, for obvious reasons.

I'm not suggesting that it does, just that the functionality of Tines' script has not been completely replaced. (Unless Monk fixed those issues while I wasn't paying attention.)

I just noticed in User Control Profile - Edit Profile, there's no slot for MyAnimeList as there once was. Other nifty options might be fanfic.net and AO3. I kind of miss having the quick access to user-relevant links right below their post, as well.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope
User avatar
Posts: 15804
Joined: Jun 28, 2008
Location: St. Louis
Gender: Male

Re: friend/foe and ignore options

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby NemZ » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:20 pm

I assume it allows PMs in the hope that people can work out their differences. The system does however mark PMs from friends or foes with a color-coding so they can be easily ignored if you insist.

Anyone using such PMs to carry on abusing others however is explicitly against the rules and such messages can be reported to the staff via the built-in reporting feature. Be aware that anything in a reported PM is visible to the staff, so do consider any privacy concerns before flippantly using this option. Doubly so now that PMs can be sent to multiple people for extended group conversations... and a BCC option as well.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao
User avatar
Age: 23
Posts: 10212
Joined: Dec 13, 2012
Location: 可塑の椅子

Re: Forum Wackiness

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:20 pm

View Original PostDima wrote:Of course the blocked mod doesn't have to ask an other mod to deliver a message. He only has to write it and think ''well i warned him, it's his fault if he won't see it and lead him to a ban''.

This is obvious, isn't it? Feel free to ignore authority at your leisure-- it's your account.

Dima
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee
User avatar
Age: 30
Posts: 1385
Joined: Nov 12, 2012
Location: Italy
Gender: Male

Re: friend/foe and ignore options

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Dima » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:44 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote:Also you might want to re-read rule 1.3:
Listen to the staff. We're just trying to keep the peace so giving us attitude won't help you much.


I know the Forum Rules very well. If you are implying that i am giving you attitude then you are mistaken. I responded exactly the same way you did (and i don't think you was giving me attitude either)

View Original PostNemZ wrote:As for your other complaints, there are reasons for my and other staff members' actions whether you understand and acknowledge them or not.


Of course there reasons. You know it's funny hearing this coming from you. I remember the time when the staff decided to ban a member, a friend of yours for a big amount of time and you blamed the staff for their decision. You was still a normal member and you made a pretty big fuss about it. Pretty sure nobody from the staff talked to you like you are talking to me now, saying ''we have our reasons, whether you understand them or not''.
Last edited by Dima on Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope
User avatar
Posts: 15804
Joined: Jun 28, 2008
Location: St. Louis
Gender: Male

Re: friend/foe and ignore options

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby NemZ » Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:17 pm

View Original PostDima wrote:I know the Forum Rules very good.


My point was that rules do in fact say you can't block staff members because doing so would mean violating rule 1.3

I'm not getting into the rest of this with you. Anyone who wants to look into this matter is welcome to make up their own mind. It starts HERE.

Edit:

Also I have a few questions for script users (Or Mr. Tines, of course).
1 - How did the old thread block quotes? did you just not see them at all or was it replaced with something else?
2 - Did it somehow work even if people were quoted without attribution?

I'm thinking it would be sufficient to add a labeled spoiler tag on quotes attributed to foes rather than blocking them completely.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3
User avatar
Age: 38
Posts: 1673
Joined: Jun 08, 2007
Location: In Glorious Technicolor
Gender: Male

Re: friend/foe and ignore options

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby cyharding » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:02 am

So when a person is added to either a friend or foe list, does that person know about it? I'm just trying to understand how it works.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 30 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director
User avatar
Age: 33
Posts: 9207
Joined: Jun 09, 2009
Location: Playing amongst the stars
Gender: Male

Re: friend/foe and ignore options

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:49 am

Does the script even allow you to block mods and admins? Like, I know it's against the rules and all, but is it even possible to do that? I would think that certain staff on here wouldn't even have the possibility of being blocked by other users, making the rule self-enforceable.

Dima
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee
User avatar
Age: 30
Posts: 1385
Joined: Nov 12, 2012
Location: Italy
Gender: Male

Re: friend/foe and ignore options

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Dima » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:29 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:My point was that rules do in fact say you can't block staff members because doing so would mean violating rule 1.3


This is just your interpretation. Again, the rules doesn't say ANYTHING at all about blocking staff members. I don't know why you are acting so heated up just because i want to block you. We are talking about just one mod(not even an admin) from the many that this forum has. I can't do this with everyone and i am only doing this with you because we can't get along and to save us from discussions like this one.

View Original Postcyharding wrote:So when a person is added to either a friend or foe list, does that person know about it? I'm just trying to understand how it works.


No they don't.

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Does the script even allow you to block mods and admins? Like, I know it's against the rules and all, but is it even possible to do that? I would think that certain staff on here wouldn't even have the possibility of being blocked by other users, making the rule self-enforceable.


It can block anyone and i did it with NemZ. And no, it's not against the rules. No one from the staff will complain to you if you block him using the script (except NemZ it seems) If it was against the rules i imagine that Mr. Tines could have prevent it or at least mention that we are not allowed to block any staff members using his script.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara


Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests