Whats the power rating of an EVA?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

TraxXavier
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby TraxXavier » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:45 pm

So how much KW or MW does it require to operate?
Evangelion x Earth Final Conflict crossover FanFic: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11613231/1/Deus-est-Nadia
Discussion thread: thread/17927/Deus-est-Nadia/?f=28

AuraTwilight
Evangelion
Evangelion

Re: Whats the power rating of an EVA?

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Mon Dec 07, 2015 1:05 pm

Bullshit amounts.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:10 pm

1.21 gigawatts, of course.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

TraxXavier
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby TraxXavier » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:24 am

Thats awfully a lot about an output of the nuclear plant.
Evangelion x Earth Final Conflict crossover FanFic: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/11613231/1/Deus-est-Nadia

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:48 am

Hence JetAlone!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

TraxXavier
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby TraxXavier » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:29 am

I found this old thread: thread/11191/Power-Consumption/
A good point some one in the thread made is that all the energy needs to go some ware, and that a eva sized object could radiate about 100kW of energy. Now that estimation was done based on what the human body can radiate. So if we add some more elaborate cooling system we have more wiggle room, lets say 1MW (thats 1 MW of a data center: http://www.kaelte-klima-gmbh.de/_images ... cooler.jpg)
So the only question is how efficient can en EVA be in therms of power conversion from electrical to whatever it does, like AT field generation.
Also given its huge body one can assume that the short therm power draw can be multiple times that what it can constantly cool of.

My research showed that a humans efficiency is really low only about 25% max thats really bad, but thats for physical work. not AT field generation :whistle:

What do you think how many of this small cooling blocks can be fitted on an EVA?

Also an other issue is that angels don't have any "cold shirts" (http://images.stockcarracing.com/images ... _shirt.jpg) so how do they dissipate heat?

Yes Yes I know its an Anime and etc... but I'm looking for some loophole to make the numbers in my fanfic at least possible in some convoluted way.

Based only on the size of the cable and what comparable DC undersea cables can carry I would say the EVA Peak wattage rating should be around 100MW

TraxXavier
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby TraxXavier » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:13 pm

I have a really mad Idea, since an other issue is that a normal biological body of that proportions can not support itself, one can kill two flies with one AT-Field

:mwahaha:

The AT-Field acts like a structural integrity field (see startrek) so it increases the physical stability of biological tissue, if it does that for large scale tensile stress, it stands to argue that is also allows the molecules to withstand more thermal stress. As on the smallest scale temperature is nothing else than movement and vibration of molecules. So we can postulate that an EVA or an angel can increase its body temperature to may be even 100°C without its proteins to undergo denaturation.

Now that Stefan–Boltzmann law says that the energy radiated by a black-body scales with T^4 so a 100°C EVA can radiate about 200KW power to radiate 1 MW the EVA's surface would have to be 300°C hot,

hmm... thats a little bit much. But on the other hand there are shots where the EVA's are steaming so its a plausible explanation

On a side note to heat an EVA's body by 1°C you require 5 Mega Joules that is Watt/Seconds, a.k.a. 5MW 1 second long.
That is assuming that an EVA's body is mostly watter, and an EVA is 40m high, we don't know how the AT-Field can affect waters thermal capacity, it in fact may increase it.

Anyhow in any of this scenarios if the EVA is shut down while not properly cooled down or not in the right rest position, it will be severely damaged, so remember kids always shutdown your EVA properly ;)

So while this idea defies the scenario in some episodes where the EVA's get a hard power off, it is in fact consistent with storing an EVA in a large tank of water, it supports the EVA's body mass and provides the necessary cooling when no AT-Field is up and running.

Now a simple loop whole here would be to assume that the effect of an AT-Field does not subside when the field is shut down but is somewhat persistent, that is the effects require some period of time to weaken to 0.

That in fact is not a bad assumption as it would also explain why living things don't just plop into LCL once their brain function stops (what most definitely breaks the AT-Field generation).

Logoguy
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Logoguy » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:08 am

Uhh... lots. Enough to impoverish 20,000 people a year, apparently.

View Original PostChuckman wrote:1.21 gigawatts, of course.

But, can it do 88 MPH :?:
"The world is sick because our symbols are sick... and the purest of us are its victims." -King Lear

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:33 am

Of course not, as this image proves
SPOILER: Show
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:04 am

View Original PostTraxXavier wrote:I have a really mad Idea, since an other issue is that a normal biological body of that proportions can not support itself, one can kill two flies with one AT-Field.

You don't need an AT-field for that. The Evas seem to be perfectly capable of existing without being crunched and squished under their own weight. So a theory of mine is that the reason why the Evas need electricity despite being biological is because under normal circumstances, biological muscles convert chemical energy into kinetic energy to move limbs and other tissues. Due to the square-cube law however, Evas are incapable of producing enough energy via metabolism alone to move themselves, so the required energy is taken from an external power source (batteries and umbilical cables) instead. Angels use their S2 organ for this purpose.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

Mana, Mayumi and Sakura: the TRUE goddesses of Eva

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:28 am

This does beg the question however, as to where an EVA is getting its energy when going beserk
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:35 am

Indeed it does.
Strategic Cyborg Evangelion : an average author's aspiring attempt at awesomeness. Currently at chapter 42.

TraxXavier
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby TraxXavier » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:50 am

View Original Postamitakartok wrote:You don't need an AT-field for that. The Evas seem to be perfectly capable of existing without being crunched and squished under their own weight.

Seam based on what you see in the anime, but i would argue that in a real world their bones would be far to thin to support that much mass, given the strength of normal bones.

Arcadia's legacy wrote:This does beg the question however, as to where an EVA is getting its energy when going beserk

Well I'm not so sure, when unit 00 went mad it stopped when the power ran out.
The only EVA constantly shown to be able to move past that limit is unit 01 which is supposed to have some sort of S2 organ, when zeruel attacked it it head a read sphere already before starting to devour zeruel.

About unit 02 in eoe idk. but well its was like just a little bit at the very end so I would say it does not count.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:55 pm

View Original PostTraxXavier wrote:The only EVA constantly shown to be able to move past that limit is unit 01 which is supposed to have some sort of S2 organ, when zeruel attacked it it head a read sphere already before starting to devour zeruel.

The red sphere is the core, which all functional Evas possess, since it contains the soul. In a "complete" being, it contains the S2 engine as well -- hence Eva-01 devoured the contents of Zeruel's core ("It's taking the S2 engine into itself!") and developed the organ within her own.

About unit 02 in eoe idk. but well its was like just a little bit at the very end so I would say it does not count.

Just a little bit of movement, in a being that huge, still requires large amounts of energy, so the question remains where the heck that energy comes from.

I suppose it's possible that the Evas cannibalize their own body in order to move for limited amounts of time. However, we know that Lilith doesn't have an S2, and she must have had some way to move at least a little (otherwise doing her job would've been difficult), so it stands to reason that "berserk" Evas are using the same method. Whatever it is.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

TraxXavier
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby TraxXavier » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:09 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:The red sphere is the core, which all functional Evas possess, since it contains the soul. In a "complete" being, it contains the S2 engine as well -- hence Eva-01 devoured the contents of Zeruel's core ("It's taking the S2 engine into itself!") and developed the organ within her own.

As far as I can see this does not apply to unit 02 in EOE an also not to Toji's unit in the original series.
Also when in episode 19 the red orb of unit 01 is exposed Misato asks "what is that".

So I would strongly argue that the "red sphere is the core" statement only applies to the rebuild continuum and not to the original series.

Also in episode 5 when they are taking the killed 4th angel apart they refer to the part of the red thing as part of the energy core.

About Lilith, her lower half is missing so possibly her core was there.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:11 pm

TraxXavier: Since Eva-01 is shown clearly to have a core BEFORE she devours and gains an S2 engine, they (S2 engine and core) logically cannot be the same thing. That said, it's a surprisingly common misconception. (I have yet to figure out why.)

Regarding other points:

- Both Eva-03 and Eva-02's cores are mentioned in dialogue (episodes #17 and #24 respectively).
- Misato is confused about Eva-01 having a core because it's a supposedly Angelic feature, to which attention is being drawn for the audience's benefit (since as of episode 19 the connection between Evas and Angels hasn't been completely established).
- The term "core" in reference to the red orb originates with the original series. If mentions in dialogue, such as the one in episode 5 that you yourself brought up (!), are not enough, it can also be found in storyboard descriptions. (Many of the storyboards do use koukyuu, a production-side label meaning "glowing sphere", instead of "core", but by the time of EoE at the latest "core" is in use instead.)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

TraxXavier
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby TraxXavier » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:23 pm

since Eva-01 is shown clearly to have a core BEFORE she devours and gains an S2 engine, they (S2 engine and core) logically cannot be the same thing. That said, it's a surprisingly common misconception. (I have yet to figure out why.)

That bases on the assumption that devouring zeruel really was how the unit gained the organ.
I think the other explanation is that unit 01 already head one and the devouring of zeruel was just a story for SEELE to hide from them the fact that Gendo installed a S2 engine into unit 01.

Regarding other points:
Unit 03 was the test unit with the restored S2 engine from the 4th angel so sure it head a core. Also I don't see when unit 04 was destroyed and core being ripped out among all the other guts.
I will need to rewatch the two episodes or can you poitn me to where exactly they mentioned unit 02's core?
About ep05 where did they talk about an EVA's core? I remember that only in context of the remains of the 4th angel.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Dec 09, 2015 5:44 pm

View Original PostTraxXavier wrote:That bases on the assumption that devouring zeruel really was how the unit gained the organ.

It's not an assumption; it's what we're told, point-blank. And since we see Eva-01 concentrate her feeding on Zeruel's core, there's no reason to doubt Ritsuko here. Fuyutsuki and Gendo's dialogue ("So it begins" / "Yes, everything starts here") also makes little sense if Eva-01 has had the organ all along.

In addition: Eva-00's core is seen on-screen in episode 23'. (It swells until it becomes the size of the Eva, so it's pretty hard to miss!) Eva-03's is mentioned here:

Episode 17 wrote:RITSUKO:
Of our prospective candidates...

IKARI:
We'll select a fourth, then?

RITSUKO:
Yes, there is one child whose core can be prepared immediately.

(This is the Eva that Toji pilots, not the experimental Eva-04 that sucked an entire branch into the Dirac Sea.)

Eva-02's:

Episode 24 wrote:FUYUTSUKI:
Who would have expected that he would synchronize with Unit 02
without the core being reconfigured? This boy...

TraxXaver wrote:About ep05 where did they talk about an EVA's core? I remember that only in context of the remains of the 4th angel.

They don't talk about an Eva's core. Why does that matter?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

TraxXavier
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby TraxXavier » Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:01 am

Episode 17 wrote:RITSUKO:
Of our prospective candidates...

IKARI:
We'll select a fourth, then?

RITSUKO:
Yes, there is one child whose core can be prepared immediately.

funny this dialog is different in the German dub, they don't mention cores in this scene. They only say that there is a promising candidate.

Episode 24 wrote:FUYUTSUKI:
Who would have expected that he would synchronize with Unit 02
without the core being reconfigured? This boy...

same here, needer the German dub nor the subtitles mention the core in this scene

For me its also not a given that the terminus core and the red orb must be one and the same.
A core can be anything, when talking about humans you for example also refer to things like core temperature for example, CPU's have processing cores and you program IP-Cores into FPGA's or run soft processing cores on them.

Since Eva-01 is shown clearly to have a core BEFORE she devours and gains an S2 engine, they (S2 engine and core) logically cannot be the same thing. That said, it's a surprisingly common misconception. (I have yet to figure out why.)

So as far as I see it now, you see a red orb is shown in unit 01 repeatedly and in case of unit 00 only in the DC version of ep. 23, and of cause in all the EVA series in EOE.
I don't care about dialog at this point as core can be anything and a lot can be lost/added in translation only about imagery.
Do you concur?

I think this surprisingly common misconception may root in: that a lot of EVA fans come from Germany and aside of the DC version of ep 23 you see a red orb only in EVA's which can operate without a battery. While when seeing the dismembering of other units like Toji's (which ever number) or unit 02 in EOE there is no core shown amongst its guts.

It's not an assumption; it's what we're told, point-blank. And since we see Eva-01 concentrate her feeding on Zeruel's core, there's no reason to doubt Ritsuko here.

Thats true, but seeing the Ep within the context of non DC cut German dubbed other episodes it is a close assumption that unit 01 head a dormant/non functional S2 engine and it just completed it by devouring zeruel. At least thats what was circulating in some German fan boards back in 2003.

An other question on this point would be if unit 01 can move and create a super strong AT field without electricity or an S2 organ why would it want to get one in the first place. The scenario where it already head one just one that was not working properly is here a plausible.

Now You watch ep 23 after ep 19 so your mind is already set about the red orb being in fact the s2 engine, also in that scene where unit 00 shows the red orb, the unit already mutated a whole tower of angel like tumors out of her back so whatever we see may not be an original component.

There simply is for the most part (that is all but ep 23 DC ) a visual link between having a red orb and running without a battery and given the different German translations i think thats the origin of these " surprisingly common misconception".

amitakartok
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby amitakartok » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:17 am

That's why one should watch the show undubbed. Dubs (and sometimes subs too) tend to leave out important bits, so the optimal way to know everything the show has to offer is to learn Japanese.

It probably varies from one guy to another, but I personally think that the undubbed version is of higher canonicity because that's how it came out of the hands of the studio, the original version envisioned by the creators. Case in point, look at how Q's English dub got recalled.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”