How was it that Shinji was the only person that didn't know?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
CyberXIII
Bardiel
Bardiel

How was it that Shinji was the only person that didn't know?

•      
  •      

Postby CyberXIII » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:12 pm

Like, having read the manga and seen Rebuild, looking back I have to wonder how Shinji was the only person that didn't know Touji was the Fourth Child or Kaworu was the final angel.

Everyone who met Kaworu knew from the get go something was up with him, even Rei 3, and she was almost a zombie up until after episode 24.

And literally everyone but Shinji somehow knew Touji was the pilot of EVA-03, even friggin' Kensuke knew before he did.

How was it Shinji was the last to know all this crap?
"Crapsack worlds and anti heroes have their place. Sometimes, they are very necessary. But an endless diet of dreary cyberpunk and dark fantasy won't do us any more favors than an endless feast of glurge. I'd argue that the cynical nature of these really hurt our ability to hope and work for better. It gets us to accept the hopelessness and jaded outlook of things as 'That's the way it is. I can't change it,' and stops us from fighting when we NEED to fight."

I am ask-shinji-ikari on tumblr.com. Feel free to ask me questions!

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:49 pm

Regarding Shinji's knowledge of Touji as the 4th Child: I don't believe this is his fault, since everybody who knew actively kept the knowledge away from him (in order to protect his feelings). The ones who did know were either on a need to know basis (Misato, Ritsuko), or they happened upon it by accident (Asuka). Kensuke had no knowledge of it until afterward, although he did make a joke to Shinji about Touji possibly being the new pilot prior to the incident. Rei was apparently aware of it, even before Touji asked her if she knew.

As for Kaworu: I'd chalk it up to Shinji's ignorance, as well as his desperation for companionship that made him blind to Kaworu's true nature.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Sun Oct 18, 2015 1:47 pm

For Kaworu, in the original series he's not exactly privvy to the sync test results of other pilots which made Kaworu suspicious, and in Rebuild everyone had a decade and a half to learn about Kaworu and all kinds of nonsense.
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

Moap
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Moap » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:43 am

Shinji didn't think Kaworu was an Angel because he loved him and didn't want him to be an Angel, he definitely knew something was up with him though. Even when Shinji is told by Misato that Kaworu is an Angel he says something along the lines of, "I refuse to believe Kaworu is an Angel!" That's denial in my book.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:01 am

In Kaworu's case, there weren't many red flags that Shinji could have noticed. Seele's practically rubbing him in Gendo's face, and Misato's hot on Nerv/Seele's trail so everything about Kaworu's appearance is extremely suspect. Shinji isn't privy to any of that information so Kaworu would just seem like another (rather odd) kid.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Nov 12, 2015 6:20 am

KAWORU: HELLO Shinji IKARI-KUN! DON'T CALL ME NAGISA, CALL ME KAWORU! YOU DON'T KNOW ME BUT I KNOW YOU SOMEHOW! AREN'T I FRIENDLY! AND STRANGE-LOOKING, TOO! NOTICE HOW I'M SITTING ON THIS BIG STATUE OUT IN THE WATER AND MY CLOTHES AREN'T REMOTELY WET! THE END OF THE SCENE WILL CONVENIENTLY CUT AWAY BEFORE WE CAN SEE HOW I GET DOWN, AS WELL! BY THE WAY, AREN'T YOU EVEN REMOTELY CURIOUS WHAT A 'LILIN' IS AND WHY I'D BE THROWING SUCH A PECULIAR TERM INTO CASUAL CONVERSATION?

Shinji: He's so nice... :shinji_blush:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Iuvenal
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Iuvenal » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:16 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:NOTICE HOW I'M SITTING ON THIS BIG STATUE OUT IN THE WATER AND MY CLOTHES AREN'T REMOTELY WET! THE END OF THE SCENE WILL CONVENIENTLY CUT AWAY BEFORE WE CAN SEE HOW I GET DOWN, AS WELL!

To be fair, we also don't see how Asuka got up on top of Unit 02 in her debut episode. :penpenatf:
Pkunk's not dead! Shake yer Rootz!

I carved A +S forever into my left buttock with a pocket knife. My right buttock is dominated by a tattoo of James Brown. - Chuckman

Who did 9/11? The FAR. - Reichu

AuraTwilight
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby AuraTwilight » Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:44 pm

Also, Shinji did ask about how Kaworu knew his name and Kaworu did give a plausible explanation. "Everyone knows you're name you're fuckin' famous."
J_Faulkner, be warned that some of your statements could be construed as ad hominem attacks. -- Priceless, eternal irony

Anno has perfected the side boob --Gendo'sPapa

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:20 pm

Reichu: Where the caps really necessary?
Never let the flame that is hope burn out, for despite the length of the night, the sunrise will always come
""Trolling the audience" is the same thing as "challenging the audience" (to an audience that doesn't want to be challenged)." -Reichu

Lavinius
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Lavinius » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:33 pm

View Original PostArcadia's legacy wrote:Reichu: Where the caps really necessary?
Don't backseat mod.

: ^)
~ibi cubávit Lamia, et invénit sibi reiquiem~

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:47 pm

View Original PostLavinius wrote:Don't backseat mod.

: ^)

Telling someone not to backseat mod is backseat moderating, btw.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:47 pm

Hey, a back-seat modding competition? Wow!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

unz
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby unz » Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:02 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:KAWORU: HELLO Shinji IKARI-KUN! DON'T CALL ME NAGISA, CALL ME KAWORU! YOU DON'T KNOW ME BUT I KNOW YOU SOMEHOW! AREN'T I FRIENDLY! AND STRANGE-LOOKING, TOO! NOTICE HOW I'M SITTING ON THIS BIG STATUE OUT IN THE WATER AND MY CLOTHES AREN'T REMOTELY WET! THE END OF THE SCENE WILL CONVENIENTLY CUT AWAY BEFORE WE CAN SEE HOW I GET DOWN, AS WELL! BY THE WAY, AREN'T YOU EVEN REMOTELY CURIOUS WHAT A 'LILIN' IS AND WHY I'D BE THROWING SUCH A PECULIAR TERM INTO CASUAL CONVERSATION?

Shinji: He's so nice... :shinji_blush:

Also some weird arms as wings pose/tic as giveaway to the audience to facepalm through the whole thing

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”