What Are you expecting From the 20th anniversary(10/04/2015)

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

lastcody
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby lastcody » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:55 am

View Original PostDima wrote:And...... nothing was shown/announced.

Anno and Khara really know how to make fans disappointed even at the 20th anniversary of EVA.

A 2017 release date for FINAL seems most likely at this point. This means that the Blu-Ray would release in 2018.

And to think that in 2013, Khara announced FINAL with a 2014 release.

What a joke.

Whatever it will come when it comes

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:58 am

View Original PostDima wrote:And to think that in 2006, Khara announced FINAL with a 2008 release.
FTFY
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Dima » Sun Oct 04, 2015 6:14 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:FTFY

True but not exactly comparable. Back then the project was just beginning so it was possible the schedule could change.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:15 am

As you can see, the schedule can still change. Welcome to project management!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:51 am

If fans aren't happy with the 20th Anniversary Neon Genesis Evangelion 10-Disc Blu-ray Collection that Anno & Co. made specifically for their fans at this time in history, then they don't deserve anything else this year.

It's Sunday, Oct. 4th, I've cleared my entire day of projects, and I'm watching Episode 1 this afternoon with some popcorn. I might even schedule a group showing for later on this month and introduce Eva to some friends.

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Dima » Sun Oct 04, 2015 8:56 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:If fans aren't happy with the 20th Anniversary Neon Genesis Evangelion 10-Disc Blu-ray Collection that Anno & Co. made specifically for their fans at this time in history, then they don't deserve anything else this year.

The Blu-Ray Collection was bound to happen sooner or later. In fact it took more then it should have considering that Blu-Ray has been ought since 2005 and many old animes stared to get Blu-Ray collections since 2008.

Should we thank Anno and Khara for giving us a late Blu-Ray release, with not the best quality out there (which was bound to happen sooner or later as i said earlier)instead of giving us a new 15-sec clip of FINAL after 3 years of absolute nothingness?

Also the Blu-Ray collection was released only in Japan without eng subtitles (which is rare these days). What about the other world? I guess the majority of the fans won't be happy with the 20th anniversary then.....
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:01 am

It's silly to expect something related to New Eva on the anniversary of Old Eva.

As far as the BDs go, you really, really don't want your favorite things to come out early on in the format's life. Some of the earliest anime BDs weren't that great. Now, years down the line people have figured out how to get the most out of the format. The BDs we did get are the best possible quality the source material allows, which is the best possible celebration of Old Eva.

You'll get New Eva when New Eva is ready. There's no point continuously whining about it in every thread.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Dima » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:06 am

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:It's silly to expect something related to New Eva on the anniversary of Old Eva.

Most announcements are made on the anniversaries of each project. Especially for animes and videogames.

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:You'll get New Eva when New Eva is ready. There's no point continuously whining about it in every thread.

I didn't whine about it in every thread. Am i not allowed to say how i feel about how in my opinion Khara and Anno treated the 20th anniversary?
Last edited by Dima on Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sun Oct 04, 2015 9:11 am

Not a single one of the New Eva announcements was made on any anniversary or significant date relevant to Old Eva. Old and New Eva have so far been celebrated (and in general treated) separately.

The whining comment was intended more like my own complaint of seeing multiple people constantly whining and begging for anything over the past few years, not just at you.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

vito
Clockiel
Clockiel

Postby vito » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:15 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:The BDs we did get are the best possible quality the source material allows, which is the best possible celebration of Old Eva.

Not really:

They could have done a better job with episode 16, but they didn't. Looks like they did a quick upscale and not bothered to try and get something better out of materials that are left.

Back in 2003, when the Renewal boxset came out, it was revealed in the DVD booklets that episode 16's negative was lost, and the only copy they had left was a 35mm blow up interpositive that existed for god know's what reason. They used this IP copy to make the 1080i scan seen in the Renewal discs, which of course, was ultimately downscaled to 480i. We know from Renewal's documentation that the series was scanned in at 1080i, so there's little reason to believe this episode doesn't exist in that form.

Fast forward to 2015, and the BD Boxset announced that not only would episode 16 continue to derive from that same IP source, but that it would actually be an *upscale* of the Renewal's 480i version. In other words, rather than going back to the 1080i HDCAM scan (or even better, the 35mm IP), they performed a lousy upscale of the DVD version. It has *huge* halos on the edges, but otherwise looks about the same as the 2003 copy. What's sad is that Sephirotic, who is also doing an Eva release, discovered that the broadcast version available on the archive DVD box actually has better colors in a number of shots, with greater shadow detail that was crushed in the Renewal version.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:18 pm

View Original PostDima wrote:The Blu-Ray Collection was bound to happen sooner or later.

And so is Eva Shin. Just cool your jets and party Eva-style today.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:50 pm

View Original Postvito wrote:

They could have done a better job with episode 16, but they didn't. Looks like they did a quick upscale and not bothered to try and get something better out of materials that are left.

The source of that image also conjectures (without evidence) that some legal nicety has left Khara without access to any other remaining materials of ep 16.

The image is meant to demonstrate (in the left-hand part) that trying to correct the tonal imbalance from the renewal version cannot work satisfactorily because there is no tonal range left in the crushed shadows of the renewal scan of the internegative.

Now, it is known that the renewal scan was made in 1080i, which was then reduced to 480i for DVD release. However, interestingly (but don't get your hopes up) there was a broadcast made of the series from the 1080i version of the scan - someone has a recording of episode 1 from this. So a search is being mounted to try to find if someone somewhere has a copy of ep 16 from that broadcast.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:26 pm

View Original PostDima wrote:And...... nothing was shown/announced.

What a joke.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:57 pm

This is the 20th Anniversary of NEON GENESIS EVANGELION. Not anything Rebuild. Cool your jets.

People getting upset today about there being no announcement for Final on NGE's 20th Anniversary strike me as the exact kind of people who would go out on a date & have a great time with their significant other but would still complain later on that they feel they "deserve to be with someone hotter".

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:59 pm

The anniversary is over in Japan, and so is the utility of this thread.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”