Why make the Dead Sea Scrolls in the first place?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
blast335
Embryo

Why make the Dead Sea Scrolls in the first place?

Postby blast335 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 9:36 am

Ok so the whitemoon was sent to earth intentionally by an ancient alien race right? And the blackmoon was made by the same alien race but wasn't supposed to go to earth. If that's the case then why did that alien race make the dead sea scrolls? Why did they make a system that would cause instrumentality if adam and lillith came into contact?

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:15 pm

As a failsafe, in case that exact scenario (both arriving at the same place) happened. Instrumentality (as I understand it) was meant as a 'reset' button in case both progeny ended up competing for the same world (as are the Spears of Longinus, used to seal either of the Seeds to prevent them from 'activating' for the same purpose).
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

blast335
Embryo

Postby blast335 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:46 pm

Ok but how were they able to translate them? They're; A. Older than life on earth, and B. Written in a language from a long dead alien race. There wasn't any language that descended from it, and since there was DEFINITELY not any communication between humanity and this race, there can't be a rosetta stone like device.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:51 pm

There's some discussion about the "translation, how???" matter here that you'd probably find useful. It shows up about halfway through the thread.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

Postby Ray » Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:51 pm

I assume it's like Lovecraft's Necronomicon. Where merely being in close proximity to them would warp and conform the mind of the reader so that he could read them.
Y'know, I always wondered how that worked in the Evangelion universe. Were the prophets of the Bible just human beings with control over their AT fields?

blast335
Embryo

Postby blast335 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:18 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:There's some discussion about the "translation, how???" matter here that you'd probably find useful. It shows up about halfway through the thread.

Thanks!

I assume it's like Lovecraft's Necronomicon. Where merely being in close proximity to them would warp and conform the mind of the reader so that he could read them.
Y'know, I always wondered how that worked in the Evangelion universe. Were the prophets of the Bible just human beings with control over their AT fields?

The Evangelion universe bears a lot of resemblance with Lovecraft's work, so that explanation makes sense. As for your second point, that makes sense, but then who is the one sending them information and prophecies? Who is their God?[/quote]

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:24 pm

"Experiment #708: Translation Attempts for Dead Sea Scrolls. Method attempt: Licking the Scrolls. We drew straws, and Simonds is up for this one. Go get 'em Simonds."

"I hate all of you."
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:28 pm

^
SPOILER: Show
Are you still watching Gravity Falls, bruh? If so bravo, you have good taste.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

blast335
Embryo

Postby blast335 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:30 pm

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:"Experiment #708: Translation Attempts for Dead Sea Scrolls. Method attempt: Licking the Scrolls. We drew straws, and Simonds is up for this one. Go get 'em Simonds."

"I hate all of you."

Now you have me imagining a member of a SEELE member licking the scrolls and going ".... Nope nothing." :lol:
Also, shouldn't it be written SEELÈ not SEELE seeing as it's pronounced with an A sound like in resumé?

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:39 pm

Nope: the original word is German, which doesn't use diacriticals (they use umlauts instead). Further, resume lacks the diacritical in English (Germanic) but regains it in French (Latin).
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

blast335
Embryo

Postby blast335 » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:04 pm

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:Nope: the original word is German, which doesn't use diacriticals (they use umlauts instead). Further, resume lacks the diacritical in English (Germanic) but regains it in French (Latin).

Oh ok.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:19 pm

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:Nope: the original word is German, which doesn't use diacriticals (they use umlauts instead).

A similar mistake is made when occasionally people think anime should be animé...

Further, resume lacks the diacritical in English (Germanic) but regains it in French (Latin).

In the US; but here in the UK I would expect to see resumé (not that we use the word so much - it's called a CV here, short for Curriculum vitae).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Mon Sep 07, 2015 10:56 pm

^

That would be that uppity Norman talk, there.
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

Bryan
Adam

Postby Bryan » Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:33 am

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:"Experiment #708: Translation Attempts for Dead Sea Scrolls. Method attempt: Licking the Scrolls. We drew straws, and Simonds is up for this one. Go get 'em Simonds."

"I hate all of you."

“I have not failed 10,000 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 10,000 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work.” - Thomas Edison

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:05 pm

"Sometimes science is a lot more art, than science. A lot of people don't get that."

-Rick Sanchez
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

Postby Sachi » Wed Sep 09, 2015 2:18 am

I suppose we're done here. Here's other threads for further reading:

http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/4071/Secret-Dead-Sea-ScrollsFAR/
http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/13318/Why-is-there-only-one-set-of-Dead-Sea-Scrolls/
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”