About Asuka/Shinji & Kaji/Misato pairings

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

About Asuka/Shinji & Kaji/Misato pairings

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Oct 09, 2006 6:17 pm

Something I've been pondering in the back of my mind for awhile: ("I think so, Brain, but who wants to see Snow White and the Seven Samurai?")

I am the only one who sees parallels/similarties between Asuka/Shinji and Misato/Kaji realtionships?

In terms of Misato and Asuka, there's something about Asuka where she seems to be a younger Misato. Both have painful pasts that try to more or less hide it by acting cheerful/determined, both have feelings for someone that they don't want to admit it to (Misato and Kaji obviously end up hooking up again, but I'm guessing Asuka can't bring herself to admit she likes Shinji due to pride reasons, ie: Why would I like someone as baka as him?)

Besides that though, the realtionships of the two respective couples seem to parallel each other.
IE: episodes 9 (Kaji kisses Misato while Shinji tries to kiss Asuka), 11 (both woman in the respective group yelling at the man; both groups end up in uncomprising positions), 15 (Kaji and Misato kiss, Asuka forces Shinji to kiss her )...

Also, (keep in mind this is something I didn't realize, but something I read somewhere else.) in episode 18, Kaji and Shinji are talking and Kaji says the line about "men and woman being on different shores and not being able to understand each other." Do you think that line has any symbolic importance in EOE's final scene in reguards to Shinji and Asuka??
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Re: About Asuka/Shinji & Kaji/Misato pairings

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:37 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Also, (keep in mind this is something I didn't realize, but something I read somewhere else.) in episode 18, Kaji and Shinji are talking and Kaji says the line about "men and woman being on different shores and not being able to understand each other." Do you think that line has any symbolic importance in EOE's final scene in reguards to Shinji and Asuka??

That's a pretty interesting interpretation. The parallels are definitely there (the big ones you've already pointed out). Are you proposing that because Shinji and Asuka ended up on the "same shore" symbolizes that they've come to an understanding?

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:54 pm

Yup. Or at the very least, they've decided to accept each other. ^_^
(Hence one possible reason why Asuka stroked his cheek; maybe her way of saying "I'm sorry.")
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Szmitten
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Szmitten » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:49 am

Due to the nature of the ending, that is a very acceptable interpretation.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:11 pm

Also, aside from Kaji's statement in ep18 and the scene from One more I need you, the introspective shores that appear throughout the series (gif is from ep 20), Shinji being emo at the shore of the lake created by Eva-00's destruction, or even Kaworu Nagisa's name are also other kinds of "shores" that show up more than once in the series.

zeaven
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby zeaven » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:27 pm

And let's not forget how Shinji and Misato answer similar questions in 26, and each of their answers is accompanied by an image of a shore.
Underneath it all, we feel so small
The heavens fall, but still we crawl...

slothen
First Ancestral Sloth
First Ancestral Sloth

•      
  •      

Postby slothen » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:34 pm

Another obvious motif that I've completely missed, this idea of the "shores." :x

And I say that its obvious in light of Kaji's line.
God, Apparently you all have been discussing Q since November. Catching up on the discussion is harrowing.

MAL Profile

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:53 pm

Also, one of episode #24's "hidden titles" is "The Final Shore", referring to, I would imagine, Adam's avatar.

More regarding the shore stuff:
The surnames of Kaworu and Rei are complimentary -- Nagisa, "shore", and Ayanami, "twill wave". Put those together, and you get the familiar image of waves lapping up and down a shore, an image associated with the concepts of life and birth. (The archetype of life emerging from the ocean and crawling onto shore, which shall play itself out after 3I.) Fitting enough, considering who Rei and Kaworu really are (Seeds of Life).

We're hearing a lot about shores here -- but where are the rivers?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Darius
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Darius » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:00 pm

Ah yes, rivers. The veins that connect to the much much bigger oceans. In the end, everything comes together to make....Well, Errr...I forgot what I was getting it..Sorry.

I'll remember along the way..I hope

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”