Nintendo NX

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Nintendo NX

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:08 pm

It seems Nintendo has just filed a patent for their new console, the NX.

http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PG01&s1=20150231511&OS=20150231511&RS=20150231511

Apparently it's a stationary (home) console with an internal HDD and no optical disc drive. A card slot is mentioned multiple times, so it may use flash-based cards as a physical media like the Vita and DS/3DS do. There's a lot of info here, I'll probably be going over this for a while.
[Redacted]

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:11 am

Info on a new Nintendo console? :drool: I don't care if I'm a primarily PC gamer now that PC gaming has finally found its head, the only current-gen console I own is the Nintendo one! (In fact I've owned every Nintendo console back to the NES.)

No optical drive, but now with an actual HDD? That implies a download-focused console -- which I do not like, unless they suddenly and uncharacteristically make it even more like a PC than the PS4/XB1 already are. The ability to borrow from a friend is one of the few things that still make consoles worthwhile in an age of Steam and GOG.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Sat Aug 22, 2015 6:00 am

I still have my ps3/ps2 and a ps4 for bloodborne but aside from that everything in my house that isnt my pc is nintendo for example gamecube, super nintnedo, wii, wii u, 3ds, etc.
Because honestly i have like no reason to get anything else because all the other consoles have games i can get on my PC, that and despite being a sega kid growing up doesn't mean i couldn't love nintendo stuff too.

So yeah excited for the NX
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Sat Aug 22, 2015 4:18 pm

What I'm expecting it to be is either a flash memory card-based physical media console like the PS TV, or a Shield Console-style digital-only gaming/streaming console. Even if it is the latter digital-only console, I wouldn't be too pissed off because Nintendo games are usually much smaller than PS4/XB1 games. Of course that does depend on how powerful the NX is, which is currently unknown.

I'm still hoping it's the former, though. The reason I think so is a portion of the description that says a program is first executed on a non-volatile memory, then a second program is triggered by that and executes on the HDD. Sounds an awful lot like the NX is checking to see if the game card is inserted, then running the installed game once the physical media is detected. Much like the PS4 and XB1 do with their discs.
[Redacted]

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:57 pm

I just hope it doesn't make me regret getting a Wii U, cuz it looks like that's finally going to happen this week! Oh well, I should have a job by the time the NX comes, so I'll get it if I want it.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:13 pm

Here's a leaked trailer for something that might be an NX variant. I've been hearing people say that there's more than one configuration listed in the patent, this might be one of those. It was leaked back around E3 and it's probably fake as hell, but damn do I want it to be real.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bChBid9pHsE

Seriously if this somehow turns out to be real I'm buying it day 1, which is something I never do with new consoles.
[Redacted]

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:52 pm

View Original PostIronEvangelion wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bChBid9pHsE

I think the joke here is that this is what the Wii U already is.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:27 am

View Original Posthui43210 wrote:I just hope it doesn't make me regret getting a Wii U, cuz it looks like that's finally going to happen this week! Oh well, I should have a job by the time the NX comes, so I'll get it if I want it.

I already regret buying a Wii U. I could be slashing people up in Bloodborne now or looking forward to all the awesome PS4 games announced at E3 but it looks like I'll spend the time from now til I can afford a PS3 bouncing between Bayonetta 2 and SSB4 which seem to be the only games on the Wii U that I actually like.

Perhaps it's not necessarily that the Wii U is a bad console, but it seems everyone has given up on it and so it's not going to get any new content that's not made by Nintendo or paid for by Nintendo for the rest of its sodding lifespan.

I might get the NX, but only because it's where the next real installment of Metroid will probably be, and if they screw that up as well then I won't see the need to invest in it.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

We all need U. BP

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:38 am

View Original PostShinoyami65 wrote:I already regret buying a Wii U.

Then you clearly aren't aware of all the possibilities the new hardware offers.

You are an uneducated consumer. You should let Nintendo enlighten you. :tongue:

I say this as a guy who watches M*A*S*H on a Wii. The picture quality is predictably terrible, as there was no way the Wii could project a 40-year old show in its native resolution, much less with HD quality. But, meh, better than spending $200 on a glorified SSB tourney machine.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Shinoyami65
Seed of Life
Seed of Life

•      
  •      

Postby Shinoyami65 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:59 am

^That was from 2 years ago, back before Nintendo realized the ship was sinking and they'd better start constructing the NX lifeboat.
E̱͡v͈̙e͔̰̳͙r̞͍y͏̱̲̭͎̪ṱ͙̣̗̱͠h̰̰i͙n̶̮̟̳͍͍̫͓g̩ ̠͈en̶̖̹̪d̸̙̦͙̜͕͍̞s̸̰.̳̙̺̟̻̀

I always thought I might be bad
Now I know that it's true
Because I think you're so good
And I'm nothing like you

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:38 pm

Well I don't have to worry about missing ps4 games, I bought that the day it came out. I don't want to miss playing Smash, Mario Maker, Xenoblade X, SMTxFE, and Zelda.

I'm just worried the NX will be backward compatible, thus destroying the point of having a Wii U.
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:57 pm

According to the Wall Street Journal, Nintendo has begun shipping out NX development kits.

http://gematsu.com/2015/10/wall-street-journal-nintendo-begins-distributing-dev-kits-nx

Some very interesting things are mentioned: People familiar with the development plans said NX would likely consist of both a console and a mobile unit that can be used in conjunction with the console or taken on the go, and Nintendo aims to put "industry-leading chips" in the NX in response to criticism about the Wii U being underpowered!
:kaos_victory:
[Redacted]

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:13 pm

They should build the whole thing around the next DS. Make the home console essentially a wireless router, hardware accelerator, media server, docking and charging station. Play your game in the handheld, then come home and log in on the console to use it as a controller for the exact same game with fancier graphics or to swap out which games you currently have in your portable's memory.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:22 pm

"industry-leading chips"?

Nintendo has been saying this with every console/handheld reveal. I still remember Iwata saying that Revolution would have powerful specs and it turned out it was just a bit more powerful then Gamecube.

They should just make it a handheld and nothing else. Nintendo should drop the home console business because they just can't compete. Wii was just a lightning in the bottle and if we exclude that, their last success in the living room was...... SNES.

Last, the third parties will probably not show up again. Last time they did was with SNES and since then...... nothing. Even the third party support of Wii was a joke.

Playstation really, really hurt Nintendo and Xbox, Steam and mobile are the last nails.

They probably know what's up, so that's why they decided to start making mobile games.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:27 pm

Why are you ignoring the Gamecube? That was a pretty fantastic system when it came out.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:05 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Why are you ignoring the Gamecube? That was a pretty fantastic system when it came out.

I agree, although I can also see how one might overlook it because it tends to get overshadowed by the PS2 and the Xbox.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Dima
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

•      
  •      

Postby Dima » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:07 am

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:Why are you ignoring the Gamecube? That was a pretty fantastic system when it came out.

Gamecube was fantastic. N64 and WiiU too. I am talking about how these systems performed on the market in terms of sales and third party support.

Sorry if i wasn't clear.
There was a signature here. It's gone now....... - This is (not) a Silent Hill's reference
Members on my ignore list: Bagheera, pwhodges, Nuclear Lunchbox, Rosenakahara

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Re: Nintendo NX

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:13 pm

Nintendo's new president said some interesting things regarding the NX:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ninten ... 0-6432771/

"That being said, I can assure you we're not building the next version of Wii or Wii U," the executive added. "It's something unique and different. It's something where we have to move away from those platforms in order to make it something that will appeal to our consumer base."

Oh thank you merciful Rei. And some more interesting news: a Taiwanese source named Digitimes claims Nintendo plans to ship 12 million NX units in 2016.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ninten ... 0-6432702/

"The accuracy of Digitimes' most recent report could not be verified at the time of going to press, but the publication has for several years revealed Nintendo's console manufacturing plans, apparently due to its contact with local sources involved in production.

In July, the publication said manufacturing of the console was scheduled to begin in October, adding now that the console is estimated to enter mass shipments in the second calendar quarter of 2016."

Sounds like 2016 is going to be a very exciting year for gaming.
[Redacted]

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

Re: Nintendo NX

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:42 pm

inb4 NX is a smartphone. :tongue:
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Re:

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:47 pm

Late, but YES! I had my GameCube for so long.
IronEvangelion wrote:"That being said, I can assure you we're not building the next version of Wii or Wii U," the executive added. "It's something unique and different. It's something where we have to move away from those platforms in order to make it something that will appeal to our consumer base."

This is good, after I had the Wii for a bit it never appealed to me, and I never used it. Also I don't remember hearing much about the WiiU so I don't think it did that well.

The Nintendo NX might be something I would want to check out. Also that SuperSmash trailer was pretty awesome, it's been a very long time since I played a Smash game.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”