So I'm toying with the idea of doing a screening...

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

So I'm toying with the idea of doing a screening...

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:50 pm

It was suggested to me today by one of my teachers that maybe I should do a screening of Evangelion. When I told her that the show comprises 26 episodes and 2 Movies, her answer was to split it inot 4 screenings.

So here's what I'm debating (this assumes I do go ahead and try to screen it):
If I were to do a screening in 4 parts, how should I split it up? I know that I'd most likely skip over Death in this senario, and that the last screening would be episodes 24'-26, and End of Evangelion. This leaves 23 episodes for 3 more screenings, working out to about 8 episodes a screening.

The other thing I had been tempted to try is just screen Death and End of Evangelion in one sitting, leaving out the series. Any thoughts?

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:45 pm

3 straight hours of Evangelion on 4 occasions is a bit of a time commitment for people. What is this for?

I prefer the following:

1-6
7-14
15-20
21-26
21'-24'
The End of Evangelion

It's in more pieces than what you're doing, but I like to break it up that way.

1-6 work well on their own, as do 7-14. Episodes 7 and 15 mark the begin of obvious changes in the series, so it's good to start with those episodes for blocks. I don't like replacing the original episodes with the DC episodes. I prefer to run through the series, and if given the time, show them prior to EoE.

But you don't really seem to have that luxury. I would just break up the first 24 episodes into blocks of 8. And then show the two endings, prefereably with a break between the two. Both endings are a lot to take in, so I wouldn't try to cram another episode or two into that showing.

1-8
9-16
17-24
25-26; Break; The End of Evangelion

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:23 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:I don't like replacing the original episodes with the DC episodes.

But the OAs are ugly and they suck <insert inappropriate reference>.

I prefer to run through the series, and if given the time, show them prior to EoE.

Only if given the time? EoE makes the most sense if you've seen the NPCs first. ("lol wherd lilliths legs come form?")

Unless your audience is gonna want to watch what are essentially the same episodes twice (but with one set being bigger and badder), you should just as soon go with the final versions. The OAs are just relics, really. Gainax cared enough about them that, in the Renewal versions of OA #21 and #22, a lot of the original footage has been swapped out for the NPC retakes.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:29 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:...Both endings are a lot to take in, so I wouldn't try to cram another episode or two into that showing...

It's an Art college, having too much to take in is sometimes the name of the game.

I'm actually leaning closer to having just Death and End of Evangelion. That'd be easier to convince them of, I think.

Meh.

EDIT+++
I really have no intention of showing the OAs.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:59 pm

Reichu wrote:The OAs are just relics

You make me sad.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:15 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:
Reichu wrote:The OAs are just relics

You make me sad.

Yes, be careful Rachel. There is something faintly... Lucasian about that statement...

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:21 pm

Hexon.Arq wrote:Yes, be careful Rachel. There is something faintly... Lucasian about that statement...

Quoted for truth.

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:20 am

Yes, but note, Gainax released the OA cuts, unlike Lucas who would not have released the original Star Wars if he had had his way.

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

•      
  •      

Postby Kaysow » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:54 am

Consider the crowd. Death and EoE could work when introducing it to a new flock that probably don't like anime anyway. A lot of us here first saw EoE, then saught it out ourselves.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:09 am

cat42 wrote:Yes, but note, Gainax released the OA cuts, unlike Lucas who would not have released the original Star Wars if he had had his way.

As I mentioned before: For whatever reason, OA #21 and #22 barely exist in the Renewal version. You have to get the "Directors' Cut" DVDs if you want the actual OAs for those episodes. Just to exemplify:

Image Image

On the left, Kaji from OA #21. On the right, Kaji from #21'. In the Renewal version of OA #21, the original footage (on the left) is actually swapped out for the retake (on the right). I had to pop in my "DC" DVD to get the OA version of the cut.

The same "swap-out old for new" problem occurs throughout Renewal's OA #21 and #22. Strangely, it doesn't seem to be an issue with #23 and #24.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Millions Livio
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Millions Livio » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:08 pm

I'd go with Death and End of Evangelion. Just because a lot of people jsut don't like anime because they haven't seen the good part of it and don't have open minds. If you show them 1-26 they'll be sitting there in the middle episodes wondering if it'll ever get serious again just like a girl I tried showing it to did. Hell, I had to show a bunch of people the Test Type opening just to get them interested in the series, some of them didn't even want to give it the 4 minutes that it ran, lead alone all 26 episodes and the two movies. I'd show Death and then End and if they liked that point them in the direction of the entire series.

I tried getting people into it from episode one, and I'd say 1/5 kept watching. I then started showing people the test type intro, the prove the utter "insanity" factor to the show if you will, and hook, line and sinker they watch the entire almost every time. People that aren't anime fans tend to not have a lot of patience for it.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:22 pm

IMO, showing people the series "end first" (i.e., they see EoE before they see anything but a psychotic montage -- "DEATH" -- of what led to it) is one of the worst things you can do.

At least, for people who actually end up following up and watching the rest of the series afterwards.

The "precede operations with Full OP" manuever sounds better. Yeah, there are spoilers, but it goes by so fast and furiously it's the lesser of two evils.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 2:34 pm

Keep in mind, what I'm doing is an open screening, not trying to get my friends to watch the series (though I wiill probably make them go to this). I'm actually liking the Death and then End of Evavgelion idea. It'll be easier for the audience to connect with it this way (remember, it's an art school)

Space Penis
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Space Penis » Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:53 pm

IMO, it would be a very silly thing to skip over Death. I very rarely watch EoE without popping in Death first, and I feel I get a lot more out of EoE that way. Plus it's an excuse to watch Death again, which is always good.
Tell me, is something eluding you, sunshine?
Is this not what you expected to see?
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes
You'll just have to claw your way through this disguise!

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:13 pm

If one has just finished the entire series, I fully support skipping over Death, but if they haven't seen the series in a while, then I recomend Death to them before they watch EoE (like I did with a friend of mine this week).

Reguarding the screening, Showing just Death and EoE seems like a better and better idea.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:14 pm

Space Penis wrote:IMO, it would be a very silly thing to skip over Death. I very rarely watch EoE without popping in Death first, and I feel I get a lot more out of EoE that way. Plus it's an excuse to watch Death again, which is always good.

Death has it own merits. It is excellent at highlighting various aspects of the series. It's best to watch in conjunction with The End of Evangelion, but if you're watching the series in sequence and then watching EoE afterwards, Death isn't necessary. Especially if you're watching the DC eps.

zeaven
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby zeaven » Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:17 am

(Note: What I'm about to suggest is somewhat radical; please do not jump all over me for it.)

If you are showing Eva to prove that anime is a valid artistic medium and/or for a purely aesthetical reason:

Show only EoE. It gets the point across very well, and is easily the most stylistic/beautiful portion of the series. It also is the most nonsensical by itself, which will probably go over well at an art school.

If you are showing Eva generally as something thought-provoking (less likely in this scenario, but let's pretend for the sake of rhetoric):

Here's what I would do in this case (assuming I was heading up the screening instead of just handing off the DVDs to your teacher):

1. Make high-quality DVD rips of the episodes you want to show.
2. Edit out the OPs and EDs for each one, as well as the "To Be Continued" screens (and the previews, of course). This will require some black-screen editing, such as for Shinji's scream at the end of 18, and, well... various other things. Lead directly into the next episode. (The exception to this is 19, which has some recap from the previous.)
3. Pause after 24 to answer questions (optional)
4. Watch EoE.

As for the section of the show to watch, I suggest 14-24, then EoE. The reason against Death and EoE is simple: in this scenario, since you're showing it as an example of thought-provoking cinema, developing affection and relationships with the characters is EXTREMELY important. Viewers will not care about the characters if you simply throw them into the work. Thus, EoE's effect will be hugely reduced. But, again, this depends on the purpose for which you are showing it.

I suggest starting with 14 because it provides a (decent) overview of the beginning, the characters, and the background. If given the opportunity, you could put together a small document explaining things more in-depth and have the students read it for "homework" before the class. Also, 14 starts at roughly the time the series begins to go "insane" (a.k.a. get worth watching). It'll still be a bit cludgy and awkward because that's when it starts throwing emotional curveballs, and the viewers won't care about the characters at that point. But that's unavoidable in that situation.

If you do that, the viewings could be:
14-19 (120 mins)
20-24' (120 mins)
25'-26' (90 mins)

That's probably how I would do it. Most people at an art school will probably already know that anime is a valid expression medium, so I hope you're showing it to get people's minds going. I would feel bad with myself just showing Death and EoE to people, even if they are random people. Some of them might be interested in the series, and they'd already have the ending ruined for them.
Underneath it all, we feel so small
The heavens fall, but still we crawl...

cat42
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby cat42 » Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:43 am

It's not for a class, and I don't feel the need to print out the terms for people. My big issues is getting people interested, and keeping them interested. Most won't stick through 4-5 screenings, so what I'd likely do is screen Death to grab their attention, and provide some background, and immediately follow it with EoE. Depending on how this screen goes, I may show the entire series at a later date.

I was already planning a screening series called "The Calm the Hell Down Movie Festival" (or series) I'd already been planning definately on Ferris Bueller's Day Off, and probably Battle Royale, and maybe Shiki-Jitsu. Other movies under consideration are MirrorMask, Vertigo, and Spirited Away. I may put EoE with Death as part of that series.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sun Oct 08, 2006 10:47 am

zeaven wrote:If you are showing Eva to prove that anime is a valid artistic medium and/or for a purely aesthetical reason:

Show only EoE.

Yeah, if afterwards you want people to be like "What the fuck was that?".

I still say that starting people off with EoE is the worst place to start.

Legend of the Past
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

•      
  •      

Postby Legend of the Past » Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:00 am

The Eva Monkey wrote:I still say that starting people off with EoE is the worst place to start.

Agreed. EoE is the most insane part of NGE and people would only understand some hot red headed chick was masturbated on and then beat some giants, and some albino chick turned everyone to tang.
New Signature Policy

It all returns to nothing...

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”