[EM] Music Guide

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

[EM] Music Guide

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Oct 05, 2006 6:13 pm

I've decided to actually do some work on the site. Imagine that. Last night, I began working on the music guide again. I did episode 1

http://www.evamonkey.com/music_guide_ep01.php

I used a spiffy image pop up script that I know some people aren't keen on.
Aside from that, the thumbnails might have made the page a bit too wide. Time will tell. But I'm happy with how it looks.

Optomistically, I could do one of these each day, and finish this section of the site for good. That would be a nice goal to set for the month.

Does anyone have any suggestions or criticsm before I go further?

I was thinking about adding some sort of pop-up or applet to play a short segment of the songs, so that people can verify the songs. Does anyone think that would be helpful?

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:24 am

Looks pretty good to me!
And about adding some sort of pop-up, that actually wouldn't be a bad idea!
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Oct 06, 2006 11:28 am

Some more space between the rows -- they're a bit crammed. ...Are those cut numbers I'm seeing?

As I've probably mentioned at some point or another, I have nearly all of the songs in the show identified, so if you need any help, give a holler.

I should also note that some of the start/end queues have been changed for Renewal.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:03 pm

I don't know if I want to go about doing a music guide for both Original and Renewal. From what I recall, the music used has not changed, just some of the start times have?

For the moment, I'm going through the episodes, using my own story board books, S2 Works, and the commentary episodes to do it as effectively and quickly as possible, but it's still labourious.

You'll notice that I've disgreed with you in a few instances. I'm fairly certain that Angel Attack begins during the last several frames of cut 034.

And exaclty how could you figure out "RAJIO Taisou" in Episode 2? I can't hear it at all.

As a suggestion for the commentary, labelling such tracks as the RAJIO Taisou, and some of the Ys stuff as being BGM might be inaccurate in terms of film terminology. They are native to the sound taking place within the environment, they are more SFX than BGM. I'm planning on making a distinction in the guide on this site. It might be helpful to make the distinction within the Commentary.

If you would like to send me some info, feel free. I'm trying to do it as much on my own as possible, rather than just copy from others, but the more I have to work from the better, I suppose.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:10 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:I don't know if I want to go about doing a music guide for both Original and Renewal. From what I recall, the music used has not changed, just some of the start times have?

Yeah, just some start times. It's no big deal, really. You can just say that you're doing Renewal Only or something as a disclaimer.

For the moment, I'm going through the episodes, using my own story board books, S2 Works, and the commentary episodes to do it as effectively and quickly as possible, but it's still labourious.

YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT LABORIOUS IS!!! :cries:

You'll notice that I've disgreed with you in a few instances. I'm fairly certain that Angel Attack begins during the last several frames of cut 034.

Uh, I guess I'll check again?

And exaclty how could you figure out "RAJIO Taisou" in Episode 2? I can't hear it at all.

bcuz ir teh 1337 lol

As a suggestion for the commentary, labelling such tracks as the RAJIO Taisou, and some of the Ys stuff as being BGM might be inaccurate in terms of film terminology.

It's music, and it plays in the background. :snork: Yeah, I know what the difference is, but is there actually a neat and concise term for it?

If you would like to send me some info, feel free. I'm trying to do it as much on my own as possible, rather than just copy from others, but the more I have to work from the better, I suppose.

S2 Works is more useful if you have all the text translated (which I've mostly done), and there's some critical stuff in /Tomo no kai/.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:24 pm

Reichu wrote:Yeah, just some start times. It's no big deal, really. You can just say that you're doing Renewal Only or something as a disclaimer.

Will do.

Reichu wrote:YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT LABORIOUS IS!!! :cries:

Oh, don't you worry, I know exactly what sort of tedious and laborious work you've done for the commentary.

Reichu wrote:is there actually a neat and concise term for it?

Actually, I'm uncertain. I would label it as being Native/Ambient. I'll have to see if there is some sort of universally used term or abreviation. Because there is a very distinct difference between ambient music and background music.

AM = Ambient Music?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:02 am

The Eva Monkey wrote:Oh, don't you worry, I know exactly what sort of tedious and laborious work you've done for the commentary.

Probably would be more accurate to replace "the commentary" with "nearly everything, even when totally unnecessary". X_X (And, come to think of it, I should have ended my comment with "</Jame Gumb>".)

Actually, I'm uncertain. I would label it as being Native/Ambient. I'll have to see if there is some sort of universally used term or abreviation. Because there is a very distinct difference between ambient music and background music.

I'm taking a closer look at the music guide in Eva tomo no kai -- you know, those towering blocks of Moonspeak, as opposed to the nifty little chart -- and they actually do bother to mention, "Strictly speaking, <such and such songs> aren't BGM, since they play in the convenience store, on the TV, etc....", but they somehow neglect to provide a more appropriate term. Asshats.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

zeaven
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby zeaven » Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:12 pm

MY FAVORITE IS THE TSUZUKU SCREENSHOT

(sorry)
Underneath it all, we feel so small
The heavens fall, but still we crawl...

chocomanji
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby chocomanji » Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:37 pm

So this was the pop-up image that you were talking about? Very nifty, though I'm not sure if this is the right section to use it?

Very cool overall -just take into account the people with slower connections and different browsers. It works fine on Firefox on my somewhat slow connection over here.

Have you tested it between browsers?

eva03
Embryo

more music stuff

•      
  •      

Postby eva03 » Sat Dec 01, 2007 5:49 pm

who ever is making this stuff, you need to put real music like the theme song!?or some other stuff like lyrics and stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Re: more music stuff

•      
  •      

Postby TriLink » Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:16 pm

eva03 wrote:who ever is making this stuff, you need to put real music like the theme song!?or some other stuff like lyrics and stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

If memory serves, Eva Monkey and the gang have always been unwilling to host music on the site for various reasons.

Your betting off getting your tunes fix from a P2P program or something.
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”