Have you ever read a SxA fic whilst being a SxR shipper.....

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Have you ever read a SxA fic whilst being a SxR shipper.....

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Sun Jun 14, 2015 5:45 pm

...and vice versa.

Squigsquasher
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:19 pm

Yes. The pain is excruciating.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:02 pm

Read some S/R fics that thankfully treated all characters including Asuka with respect, though it was so long ago I can't remember the author(s).
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Shoujo Kakumei Asuka
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Shoujo Kakumei Asuka » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:46 pm

As long as the Fic's good (which may be asking a lot for fanfiction, I don't really care. Then again, I don't really have a preferred ship (except for Shinji/Karl in the manga). I'd be fine with a well written Rei x Pen-Pen fic.

That being said, when a Shinji x Rei fanfic goes out of the way to demonize Asuka (or vice versa) I tend to end up dropping the fic REALLY fast.
I felt like I was watching a dream I could never wake up from. Before I knew it, the dream was all over... - Spike Spiegel

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:45 am

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:Yes. The pain is excruciating.

If its painful, Why are you reading it to begin with?

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:51 am

Eh, it depends. I generally don't read S/A fics unless that's just something that happens on the side while the real story happens elsewhere... with the exception of serious stories that explore just how disfunctional that ship can be. S/A fluff is of zero interest to me.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:06 pm

As a notorious anti-shipper of SxA, I found that SxA fics did more rewriting of Asuka's character than SxR ones, which, at least of the ones I read, tended more to relegate Asuka to minor character status (or the role of the brash newcomer who loses out when True Love conquers all).

RxA, while equally implausible in canon, does, of course, have separate mitigating factors at play.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Arcadia's legacy
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby Arcadia's legacy » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:02 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:I found that SxA fics did more rewriting of Asuka's character than SxR ones

Try reading Jimmy Wolks The Second Try. its SxA whilst also never being OOC and keeps Rei as a main character who's as important to the story as she should be.
Last edited by Arcadia's legacy on Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:12 pm

Half the people who read my fic not only do not ship SxA, but actively oppose the pairing. To me this is proof that people will appreciate any fic that makes an honest effort to "keep things real", as it were, regardless of the pairings (or lack thereof) involved. Doesn't mean said fics are any good, but they're at least a change of pace.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Cosmo11
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Cosmo11 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:49 am

I avoid any SxR fics.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:31 am

Oedipus Ikari was pretty good up until the end. Sadly the author copped out and went with a dark ending circa ep 23 rather than carry things through to Instrumentality. If he had -- Gendo's plan was obviously tanked at that point, but Seele's was still perfectly viable -- and Lilith somehow got Rei's soul back it would have been _really_ interesting. Not least because Shinji and Asuka were becoming legitimate friends by that point. Not romantic interests at all, just honest to God friends. So having them back one another up while they tried to get Rei back -- and hey, fuckn' Instrumentality, who knows? -- would have made for an incredible story IMO. But instead, bleah.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Rommel
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Rommel » Tue Jun 16, 2015 6:44 pm

Well, you know, it depends on how it's written. If it's good what does the shipping matter. Of course, I'm a bit guilty of the SxA, but in the one I include Rei with a major role I go out there to develop her.

Literary Eagle
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Literary Eagle » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:27 pm

When it comes to Shinji, Asuka, Rei, and Kaworu, I can read pretty much any pairing amongst those four, as long as it's a good story and there's no character bashing. If a fic bashes or vilifies any of the other love interests in order to justify the author's preferred pairing, the story automatically loses all credibility for me.

Asuka/Rei is the only pairing amongst those four pilots that I don't usually read, because I don't really see that happening. However, I've come across a couple of fics with that pairing which turned out to be rather enjoyable, so yeah I'll go for pretty much whatever. What can I say, I just like a good story. ^_^
The Happy Red Planet (my Evangelion fan fic)

MrMallard
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MrMallard » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:23 am

Being a Shinji/Rei shipper at heart, I'm not too much a fan of Asuka. I know a fair share of self-centred, rude and condescending women in my life, so the tsundere fantasy is usually lost on me. I understand that Asuka is the way she is due to circumstances that affected her as a child, she's definitely an interesting character, but even considering that I find myself uncomfortable when it comes to ships involving a meek guy and an overbearing jerk of a woman.

As such, I'm more of a Shinji/Rei shipper. The relationship between them is much calmer, and less likely to end in an impotent, loveless relationship built on low self-esteem and abuse - imo of course. But when I'm on a fanfiction spree, I do hunt down stories with interesting premises regardless of the pairing. There's a good lemon on mediaminer, before it takes a dip in chapter 2 (consent isn't given and the victim is angry, but then they melt into putty and the incident is wiped clean - nothnx), and despite not treating Rei with much respect I enjoyed RE-TAKE for its sweet moments.

I'm still primarily a Shinji/Rei shipper, and I assume that I will be for as long as I'm an Eva fan. But I dip into Shinji/Asuka if the mood strikes me, and given that it's more of a gooey romance than it is Asuka treating Shinji like garbage, I'm not usually one to complain when I do.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:09 pm

Sent the latest skirmish in the red/blue wars to a more appropriate thread over here.

This thread is for fanfics and shipping discussion, not that.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

SEELE
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE » Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:57 pm

As a undecided Shipper i can't even tell a this point. I started reading SxR early on and was midly suprised. But sooner or later i stepped over some fics that were rather shitty. And since i understand Asuka - i only read AxS or where Asuka has major focus. That means that if she doesn't get as much focus as in the Anime - i drop the fic sooner or later. But here comes the big fish ... i really like Rei for her creepy-doll-attitude. The 2.0 Rei is fine - but i don't like her. Rei's character arc is to make own decisions - and EoE showed this. So yes, i read them because i was curious. And because of the reason i'll tell you in the following spoiler:

Here some context to my own fiction. [Pointless, semi-related babble about my fic and how i learned to love NukaPoka!Rei]
SPOILER: Show
I really like everything Rei related. But the more i like going full introspective on Asuka. My fiction is primarly a the Time-loop idea with Shinji being haunted by the dreams of past loops [mix between different ideas from the fandom]. And from this take on - i deconstructed the characters early on. Shinji gets the EoTV/EoE development within Episode 7-8, he learns that this is a peggy-sue/time-loop thingy and gets depressions because it is essentially the same case as if he would just played without the time-loop. A 3 year time skip (and later a 4 year time-skip - because i wanted to use the Rebuild Idea of Shinji being the Impact Boy and the most important part of Evangelion), only (extra)-canonical characters, [NO OC's], WILLE-crew, a proper Kaji-plot, less Power-Ranger Evangelion action, more Rei and so on. And i played Mana, Mayumi and so on straight into the game. But what i feeled was that i elevated Rei into such a status that i really started to like her. I used (most of the time) to develop her because i felt that Shinji and Asuka had their perfect match. So i focused on Rei because i felt that Shinji and Asuka (will find what they both desire). And that is when i saw what made Rei so lovable. And because i wrote this stuff ... i understood why everybody liked Rei so much. And most importantly ... i felt sympathy for her and Gendo.

Caution: Spoiler Warning for my fic
In my fic there is a time-skip between the 3. Angel (Tunniel), 4. Angel (Sachiel) and the 5. (Shamshel) for the same duration as ANIMA because of the Cryopreservation of the 3. Angel, shortly before 4. Angel attacks NT-3. Shinji falls into a coma for 3 years and makes the 3 entries from the tv-show. In the meantime SEELE works on developing the Nemesis Types (yes, i use elements from NTE to bring it in the harmony of the canon) which run renegade soon after. The first Nemesis-Type attacks the German branch - Asuka defeats it and gets character development. The second attacks NT-3 and Rei fights it. (SPOILER) Rei II dies to save the city, which was a simple idea of stoping her to die in fron of Shinji all the time. But big revelation - everybody finds it out in Act 2-3. NukaPoka!Rei III is born and goes the same route as her previous incarnations. And this was a turning point for me - i wrote Rei and saw why she was so lovable. And since then i read some SxR. Shinji wakes up and the development of the tv-show proceeds after 1.0/Episode 7. Mari is introduced, Asuka is introduced, SEELE goes full Samson on Gendo, Fuyutsuki is planning something, Kaji, Wille and Misato are up to something. Rei necesserly doesn't die in this iteration (once more), some scraped storyboard ideas were taken, the full female harem is up (Mana, Mayumi, Yui Ichijo (subtle Rei), Asuka and so on), some events take place early than expected, WILLE/HERZ is plotting against SEELE, Post-2.0 trailer stuff realized, 3.0 ideas are taken into account, Tv-show is covered up and realized, pretty much a huge and complete summary of the franchise. Gendo is a mix between all iterations (not a cold-hearted bastard but more like EoE!Gendo) and one of the other characters is also aware that this fic is a time-loop (not Kaworu and Shinji). But this is something i don't want to spoil because it would ruin everything. The motto is: Through hardship we grow stronger, better and will learn to love life. Which goes hand in hand with the theme of the TV-show. But goes beyond that because SEELE is ultimatly (like in previous iterations) working on this Instrumentality escapism. And i wanted to show Shinji the bright world that he gets as he endures (like in all previous iterations). But most important to that is that every Rei-shipper gets his fair-share, every other shipper too but everyone gets what they deserve. And Shinji deserves so much better like all the other characters (*wink at Misato and Kaji for providing to EoE*). But don't let it fool you - its all the more darker than the previous iterations because not only Asuka is in Bardiel but also another character. And this time somebody dies for real. And the question for Kaworus donor is solved (rather comedic). But i'll most certainly wait for FINAL/3.0+1.0 to come. And the sad truth is that it is written in german. And i don't have a translator. But the point is - i understood the conciousness of Rei and it made her likable in my eyes because i sacrificed the Second one to let her live as conveluted Rei IV. And yes this is partly a fix-fic to fix certain aspects about the Rebuild and solve the Sequel baiting for me to something that makes the Rebuild less shitty. So more fanservice in terms of character, more mature, more waff, more pokapoka, more random Mari, more Kaji/Wille Action, more ebil SEELE, more Gendo-train-time, more character development, more Shinji, more of everything while being less then the rebuild at the same time.
:misato_service:

I thought i share it with you just for somebody who is interested.
"Shinji repeatedly rises to the occasion, overcomes his own doubts and fears and puts others ahead of himself to the point of self harm. The situation overwhelms him. Victory does not define a hero. Intent does. He breaks at the end, but after inhuman, overwhelming, borderline comedic suffering." - Chuckman talking about Shinji as a hero
Final Fantasy 7 gets a remake. I hope it doesn't goes the same way NTE did.
Plus I kinda want to be done with this franchise for a while and concentrate on other things in life. - Guy Nacks

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:05 pm

I'm a major AxS shipper, but I'll read anything that presents a good, enjoyable, and believable ship: RxS, SxK, RxA, MxKxRxVx3x!x%x*...whatever works.

It's about characterization and interaction, and if it's good, I like it.

SEELE: Have you finished any portions of your fic for posting, or are you still working on it?
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

SEELE
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:28 pm

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:SEELE: Have you finished any portions of your fic for posting, or are you still working on it?

SPOILER: Show
This is the problem. The Prologe is finished and published. Chapter 1-21 (Episode 1-8+time-skip+Episode 21 and parts of WILLE) are almost done, groundwork till the Mana-Arc is established, Mayumi (Second Impression) is almost done but unfortunatly it is completly written in german and my english is not so good (in terms of grammar and so on). And i have nobody to beta-read for me - so first i would have to translate it, then fix some issues and then publish it. Sorry Gob, i'm really sorry :sniffle:

But i'm currently working on make it aviable in at least english. If i publish it anytime soon. I don't know. And im not even done with this fic (23% of 100% by nearly 180k-200k words). And i estimate till Zeruel that i have atleast 4 times the length because Asuka takes her time (especially in prepartion of the ship with Shinji - i need to establish so much, and i currently have a writers block because of my job)

I also like any sort of other crack-pair or other ship. But i hate KxS with passion because it is never written in a way i like it. NEVER. Figure that out. But Bagheera is right about keeping it real.
"Shinji repeatedly rises to the occasion, overcomes his own doubts and fears and puts others ahead of himself to the point of self harm. The situation overwhelms him. Victory does not define a hero. Intent does. He breaks at the end, but after inhuman, overwhelming, borderline comedic suffering." - Chuckman talking about Shinji as a hero
Final Fantasy 7 gets a remake. I hope it doesn't goes the same way NTE did.
Plus I kinda want to be done with this franchise for a while and concentrate on other things in life. - Guy Nacks

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:53 pm

Is that KajixAsuka? Yeah, that's something I wouldn't enjoy.

I mean, shipping the kids with the kids, I like that. Shipping the kids and adults together? That's skeezy to me.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Argent1995
Embryo

Re:

•      
  •      

Postby Argent1995 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:25 am

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:Is that KajixAsuka? Yeah, that's something I wouldn't enjoy.

I mean, shipping the kids with the kids, I like that. Shipping the kids and adults together? That's skeezy to me.

I am maybe hypocritical but I do draw an exemption from that when it comes to Misato and Shinji late in the Angel wars.

Not because it would be OK, but because other stuff done to them and by each to the other has by that time got so bad that a shotacon does not even register compared to the rest.

Return to “Fanfiction”