Shin Gojira (a.k.a. Godzilla Resurgence)

This is for discussion pertaining to Hideaki Anno's live-action "Shin" films, such as Shin Godzilla, Shin Ultraman, and Shin Kamen Rider.

Moderator: Board Staff

Zeta_One
Adam

Re: Shin Gojira (a.k.a. Godzilla Resurgence)

•      
  •      

Postby Zeta_One » Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:12 pm

I like your metaphor and I agree with your reading of the film. Though I am puzzled as to why some people are so intent on believing Shin Godzilla has some sinister agenda. Godzilla vs King Ghidorah has the more questionable "subtext" and the same individuals criticizing Shin Godzilla are eager to defend the former film.

ErgoProxy
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby ErgoProxy » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:37 am

I can't see why call this metaphor dumb neither. It's excellent. :thumbsup:

But let me interject for a moment. I can agree, more or less, with Zeta_One till the words of:
Zeta_One wrote:imperial ambitions

Uhm, we're talking about the era when British monarchs cherished the title of emperors of India, right? And nobody grumbled it's unfair or whatnot. Also, the Japanese were just politely invited to the war by American embargo, since they were in dire need of resources to fuel their growing industry (as volcanic isles are always resource poor).

Now, you can punch me for writing offtopic. :stretcher:
JUSTICE & MERCY

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed Feb 03, 2021 1:59 am

Did not expect this from IGN, but here is a video analysis comparing the events of Shin Godzilla to the US coronavirus response.

Pretty good stuff.

https://www.ign.com/videos/how-godzilla-predicted-the-us-coronavirus-response
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:12 am

Lol.

So IGN just out here turning my Tweets into videos now. Lol.

Covid has especially gotten me to warm up to the ending of Shin Godzilla. I was originally slightly annoyed the film ended with Godzilla not destroyed but just incapacitated for the moment, ready to strike again, because I read it as a very easy in Anno left for someone to make a sequel. But now looking at things, while proper vaccination will help curb the dangers of Covid and return life to normal the virus is likely never going to 100% go away.

Good video. It's an obvious comparison once you think of it. Which really shows how avoidable most of the trauma of Covid-19 truly was.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:33 pm

IMO it does a disservice to Shin Godzilla, since most of the decisions made in that film were sound. Like, failing to take out Godzilla early when doing so would kill civilians is not comparable to anything we saw last year, because the reality was always "act, and save lives, or do nothing and lie about it," with the administration consistently taking the latter route. It's true that the film depicted a bureaucracy that wouldn't get out of its own way, but it never actually turned on the country and its people the way the last administration did.

I guess what I'm saying is it's a bad comparison because Shin Godzilla was too optimistic. :sniffle:
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:03 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:.
So IGN just out here turning my Tweets into videos now. Lol.

I had to think about your post too.

Covid has especially gotten me to warm up to the ending of Shin Godzilla. I was originally slightly annoyed the film ended with Godzilla not destroyed but just incapacitated for the moment, ready to strike again, because I read it as a very easy in Anno left for someone to make a sequel.

I also always thought it was just like ever returning natural disasters.
And I think Anno doesn't like tying things up completely. There's always something else to confront, like Asuka and Shinji and their uncertain future at the end of EoE.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

Chroma
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Chroma » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:08 pm

I don't know why I waited so long to watch Shin but it was incredible. Definitely felt a little weird following the whole Coronavirus issue we've had going on, but really, disasters - natural and manmade - were an obvious focal point in the film as it was made in 2016 and it's a timeless theme as it is. Sagisu's OST was obviously fantastic, and Anno's directing/writing exactly what I wanted.
"What we needed were not words and promises, but the steady accumulation of small realities."
South of the Border, West of the Sun - Haruki Murakami

Fics: Ao3 https://archiveofourown.org/users/Sensha_do

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:30 pm

∆ Great to still see people discover the film. :)
Q and Shinzilla (I've seen no one else call it that but I insist)really were two masterpieces in a row IMO. Here's hoping it'll be three soon.

Chroma
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Chroma » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:37 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:∆ Great to still see people discover the film. :)
Q and Shinzilla (I've seen no one else call it that but I insist)really were two masterpieces in a row IMO. Here's hoping it'll be three soon.

It took me a while to get around to it - I think I was always just waiting for the perfect time - but honestly, masterpiece is probably the best way to put it. And following Q, which I also adored, just makes me that much more confident that, even after Thrice, Anno will continue to make absolutely wonderful works.
"What we needed were not words and promises, but the steady accumulation of small realities."
South of the Border, West of the Sun - Haruki Murakami

Fics: Ao3 https://archiveofourown.org/users/Sensha_do

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:41 pm

Yeah the guy has just perfected what he does and seems to be in a good place mostly. Also is succesful which seems to be leading to creatuve freedom. I dunno when he'll retire but we can expect some good stuff until then.

EscapismIsBad
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby EscapismIsBad » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:28 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:∆ Great to still see people discover the film. :)

Or four considering Shin Ultraman, although he's not really the director but still...
Also, Shin Goji, Shin Eva and Shin Ultraman, it's the Shin trilogy.
*petrifies and is left floating adrift in space, where it will outlast Evangelion: Thrice Upon a Time 3.0+1.0, as an eternal testament that the human race existed*

Bye bye all of Evangelion and Evageeks.
When you feel sad remember that it's always epic Spinosaurus aegyptiacus time, you were born in the same planet as S. aegyptiacus, how cool is it?
I never understood why people hate the Rebuild because it's different and love the Series, can we just love it all without creating dilemmas and unnecessary discussions?
SPOILER: Show
Be careful of 3.0+1.0 spoilers

This is truly the end of this account, forever.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 9:32 am

∆ I had those exact thoughts haha.

Well it can still become the Shin tetralogy. Shin Kamen Rider?

EscapismIsBad
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby EscapismIsBad » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:02 pm

Ohhh, tell me more about it please, I'm genuinely interested.

Also, a bit unrelated but I seriously think Shin Godzilla may be the most famous Anno art piece EVER, even at another SIDE OF THE PLANET the little children and babies somehow know about Shin Godzilla, unfortunately they can't understand it but it has big lizard and purple laser which burn infrastructure, it's fair enough for them.
*petrifies and is left floating adrift in space, where it will outlast Evangelion: Thrice Upon a Time 3.0+1.0, as an eternal testament that the human race existed*

When you feel sad remember that it's always epic Spinosaurus aegyptiacus time, you were born in the same planet as S. aegyptiacus, how cool is it?
I never understood why people hate the Rebuild because it's different and love the Series, can we just love it all without creating dilemmas and unnecessary discussions?

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Mon Feb 08, 2021 12:28 pm

I think you have a good point-Shin Godzilla might be the most internationally recognizable work by Anno. Still, I feel like overall NGE's influence and popularity in Japan and its steadily growing worldwide popularity means it's probably going to usurp Shin Godzilla's place sooner or later.

As for more "Shin" stuff by Anno, I feel that "Shin Nausicaä" (Anno adapting the Miyazaki manga, which we know he had stated an interest in) and a proper ending to Kare Kano are the two things I'm most interested in, in terms of Anno working with previously existing material. And yes, I know the Kare Kano one is pretty much a pipe dream.

EscapismIsBad
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby EscapismIsBad » Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:13 pm

Indeed, funnily the results are the contrary in Japan, Eva is immensely more popular than Godzilla there (*cries because if Eva/Anno didn't ressurect Godzilla likely ALMOST nobody would do it in his home country*).
Khara should take some notices about EVA popularity out there, specifically South America, EVA is already popular here but isn't so mainstream as Naruto (there are frickin Naruto fanclub where even the teachers participate randomly situated at schools), Dragon Ball and such, they could earn potentially SO much money.
Sometimes some EVA references randomly appear in the TV like some otaku character reading the EVA manga or people mentioning EVA as source while talking about mental sickness in a very important test.

Higuchi and Anno (Kaworu and Shinji) single handedly revived (awakening) the tokusatsu industry (Evangelion 13) themselves.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:14 pm

Insert Mr. Incredible "I'm not strong enough" meme.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Jan 30, 2022 6:48 am

Shin Godzilla is only wartime propaganda to people who've completely forgotten what wartime propaganda actually looks like. I'm always shocked at how many times someone can watch a movie where conventional war/military tactics and hardware are impotent against the monster, and everyone else comes out of the other end thinking, "See how they are showing off their military might!"

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sun Jan 30, 2022 11:54 am

Yeah, exactly. If it's war propaganda, it sucks at it.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:55 pm

Finally got around to watching it, great movie. And yeah, this was definitely not military propaganda, especially not considering that the foreign weapons were less ineffective as the Japanese ones and the final operation was carried out completely with civilian vehicles. Suppose that's kind of a confirmation bias thing, when you want to read something as showing off military might, I guess you'll always find a way to read it as that
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Return to “Live-Action "Shin" & Other Khara Projects!”