Accurate subs for DEATH (True)2

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Accurate subs for DEATH (True)2

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:54 pm

So, is anyone even interested in having accurate Death subs? Because I have about as accurate of a subtitle track as I could muster given what I have at my disposal. (AKA, no Rosetta Stone to walk me through moonspeak.)

I’ve been slowly working through this since summer of 2014. (Given that I juggle freelance and part-time work, I had very little free time to dedicate to this.) I decided to take the universally accepted Platinum:Perfect subs from ADV's DVD release of NGE and edited the existing subtitles in Death with the subtitles the TV show. I figured that this not only helps in accuracy but also in consistency between the two works.

Also decided to give the subtitles a visual face-lift. The fonts and colors for the subtitles for on-screen signs and title-cards now match a bit more with the colors and lettering used on the signs and title cards.

Also, for the scenes where there are multiple characters talking or being heard at once, I found a way of coloring and arranging the subtitles so we can read the “foreground” voices over the background clatter.

Here are some examples of how they look...

Scientists/Staff Subtitles in white on top:

Gendo/Committee subtitles in yellow on the bottom:

Example of matching subtitle font to title cards:

Also, there were a lot of instances where Manga Ent’s release of Death didn’t subtitle the background dialogue, and merely just focused on the more prominent voice-over explaining things. I fixed that oversight.

Ritsuko’s more prominent voice-over in yellow on the bottom, Rei’s dialogue played as background in the film displayed in white on the top:
^ Rei’s dialogue was missing in the subs for Manga Ent’s release. It’s a shame to, because it plays so well juxtaposed to Ritsuko’s confessions.

Just so everyone know: These subtitles were timed using the Japanese Renewal release as reference. They may not sync as well with the Manga Ent discs. If you are using the Manga Ent disc, you may need to retime the subtitles in your media player of choice in order to get them to sync well. (I use VLC. It works there.)

Now, if anyone can tell me of a good place where I can upload the .ass file so that you guys or even others can download them as they please.
Last edited by FreakyFilmFan4ever on Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Atropos
Tabris
Tabris

Re: Accurate subs for DEATH (True)2

•      
  •      

Postby Atropos » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:03 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:So, is anyone even interested inhaling accurate Death subs?

Dude, I would mainline that shit.

And in the interest of being helpful:
Now, if anyone can tell me of a good place where I can upload the .ass file so that you guys or even others can download them as they please.

Mediafire is probably a safe choice.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:24 pm

MediaFire Link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/rxcmu1vq5e5np51/01+DEATH+%28True%29².ass

Tell me if you guys find any weird typos, missing dialogue, or whatever else that I may have missed or something. I certainly want to improve upon this if it’s not sufficient.

chaosakita
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby chaosakita » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:43 pm

Would it be possible to upload the script too?
Avatar: Shinji and Kaworu get ice cream

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:37 pm

I didn't actually download this, but there's a noticeable typo in your first screenshot: "Mr. Ikagi." Ritsuko and Gendo's lovechild? :lol:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Apr 04, 2015 3:40 pm

Yesss...

I'll fix that and a few other issues I've found once I get the chance.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”