The End Of Evangelion But The Music Is Stoned

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

systemofadork
Embryo

The End Of Evangelion But The Music Is Stoned

•      
  •      

Postby systemofadork » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:51 pm

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1q-Dhpt ... sp=sharing

Basically, a group of edited and mashed up songs, piled over a soundtrackless version of End of Eva.

Sort of meant to give you the feeling a person that does psychedelics might have when the TV is on but muted, and the radio plays along perfect with it somehow.
For example The Dark Side Of The Moon, Wizard Of OZ phenomenon, but the songs are specifically edited and placed to fit through the whole movie. With some flourishes, mashups, and changes to the songs mixes because going extra is fun.

Songs used;
Mr. Bungle - What The World Needs Now (live)
The Section Quarted - Black Hole Sun (Soundgarden) [short insert edit]
Periphery - Marigold (Strange BG and No Drums, short edit)
Souxie And The Banshees - Cities In Dust
Johnny Cash - Don't Take Your Guns To Town
Ganime Jazz W. Donna Burle - Sins Of The Father (short edit)
Tool - Eon Blue Apocalypse, The Patient
Tesseract - Retrospect (Drumless Sega Megadrive Version fades into mashup with OG)
Skeeter Davis - The End Of The World
Berried Alive - I'm Letting Go (Instrumental partially mashed with original film bgm)
[Credits] Peter Gabriel - Red Rain
Deftone - Diamond Eyes
Tool - Lateralus (short edit, mashed with og film bgm)
Alice Cooper - I Never Cry
Soundgarden - Black Hole Sun
Mr.Bungle - Retrovertigo
Mumford And Sons - Little Lion Man
Bioshock Infinite - Will The Circle Be Unbroken (mash of both version)
Pink Floyd - Mother (Short Edit)

JUST SIFTING THROUGH IT, BY THE WAY, JUST AIN'T THE SAME TRIP
Trust me, if you don't just sit through the whole thing, you'll miss all sorts of moments that should not have synced up as well as they did.
:devil:
Last edited by systemofadork on Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:17 am, edited 8 times in total.
"with depth"

brendansteere
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby brendansteere » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:36 pm

Well, I'm interested for sure. Downloading it now.

EDIT AFTER WATCHING:
Okay, as an experiment, I think this is actually really interesting. It might be my acclimating to the idea of it over time, but I certainly enjoyed the second half more. Personal taste is a factor as well, of course, but I found the song choice to be stronger in the second episode. Then again, it's also the far more experimental part of the film, so maybe it just lends itself more to an abstract "popular music score" read.

As an interesting observation, with the subtitles off and the sound for all intents and purposes disabled, I found myself watching End of Eva much more intently. You pay a lot more attention to the cuts and the visual storytelling at work, and it's actually fascinating to dive into, just from that perspective. I've seen this film half a dozen times and I was noticing new things, and that alone is worth the download/watch imo.

Well done man. I really enjoyed it actually, and found myself sort of thinking a lot about EoE (sometimes similarly than I had before, sometimes differently) and enjoying the music you picked out, for the most part.

Highlights: Little Lion Man/Black Hole Sun, Tool is always a good bet, and the use of Johnny Cash in that montage is some sort of genius.
I made music and a pilot for you, which I hope you enjoy.

I also made a feature-length movie, which has nothing to do with Evangelion, but you can check out if you'd like to do something different for a while.

systemofadork
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby systemofadork » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:20 am

To be fair, the .srt subtitle file can be opened in addition to the .mp4 just by drag-dropping the file into the 'playing video' portion of the media player window, but not if your using the Windows Media Player that comes standard with windows.

I didn't watch the movie with subtitles, as I made the project, because vegas wouldn't allow me to unless I brought in hardsubbed footage.

Let me tell you from experience, and finding out by accident, that there are moments of specific dialogue, relating to the music presently playing that feel very significant. Although if you know the directly Japanese translated dialogue, verbatim, to begin with, (not the dub ffs) then you know what I'm talking about.

But there really are a few accidents with the way some things synced up. I wanted the drum fill before the last time the chorus of Black Hole Sun plays, for instance, to sync up with the camera looking back and forth at the Rei clones that turn into tit-shinjis. I didn't know that Gendos head was going to get bitten off, right when the first measure of the second chorus starts. Not until I watched all the way through the song, anyway. Everything that seems to take place at the bridge and solo seemed perfect.

Personal question. What did you think of Lateralus being mashed up with EoE Ost at almost exactly the point where the Ost track in question would be playing? Or the crowd of people singing along with black hole sun (essentially also being part of the collective screams of the entire planet as humanity's 'souls?' are sucked into a "black hole sun", as they repeatedly yell "black hole sun, black hole sun, won't you come") for that matter?
"with depth"

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:35 pm

I skimmed your post then watched the preview, thinking this was just an edit where the music is louder than the dialogue. I was disappointed to find that not to be the case, because I'd love to watch EoE that way. Maybe I should do some mixing.

systemofadork
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby systemofadork » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:26 am

[edge redacted]
Last edited by systemofadork on Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"with depth"

FrDougal9000
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re: The End Of Evangelion - With Non-Original Soundtrack

•      
  •      

Postby FrDougal9000 » Mon May 16, 2016 6:02 pm

Can you give another link to the music-less version here or somewhere else? The YouTube vids have since been taken down, and I'd really like to experiment with it.
Pen-Pen died for your sins!

systemofadork
Embryo

Re: The End Of Evangelion - With Non-Original Soundtrack [Dead and Rebirthing]

•      
  •      

Postby systemofadork » Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:59 am

"with depth"

Return to “Fan Works”