So we're about to live the days of the Angel attacks?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:02 am

Gainax made absolutely no effort to make any dates fit the calendar days of the year twenty years ahead of when they were working on the show, and any dates shown on screen are nigh-random filler they picked to occupy a visual space. Evangelion is not a historical document and the did not put any more thought into the chronology other than "this happens after that and EoE is New Year's Day".

Free your minds.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:14 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:and EoE is New Year's Day
That is the bit where they clearly weren't thinking things through -- EoTV's 2016 says "it's been quite a few months since we started, min '15"; whereas EoE's one screen with "2015" meaning "Now" is a "it's set in 2015, isn't it?" without regard to the passage of time.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:02 pm

View Original PostMonk Ed wrote:If we really wanted to stretch, we might suppose that Misato's calendar is a misprint in-universe but in classic lazy fashion she just couldn't be arsed to replace it with a correct one. Or, conversely, either the date on the blackboard is wrong or the date was actually like a homework deadline or something.

Very simple explanation: we know Misato is incredibly lazy in her personal life. She is probably bad about updating things like calendars, meaning that one has been in her possession for who knows how long. The fact that it was open to the correct month is a small miracle. So, she circled Friday because the day of the week is what's important and blew off the rest.

Yeah, I don't buy it either, but eh. The simplest explanation is that the date on the board in the class is wrong, and that Asuka entered school the day after the battle with Gaghiel (in late August). I'm pretty sure that's the only explicit error, though, which is pretty amazing when you think about it. It all hangs together very well.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:02 pm

Misato making the same mistake at work as she would make at home completely negates Ep 7’s introduction of the duality concept in Eva, as well as any other episode that skillfully follows and builds upon that same thematic and narrative thread.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”