feeling depressed

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
bladerj
Lilin
Lilin

feeling depressed

Postby bladerj » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:18 pm

its like waiting for your death, you dont know when it will come, but you know its soon and then you just have to make peace wth the fact and acept the inevitable......

The lack of any news for a full year, the goodbye to the franchise,.......i can't take it.....
ANATA BAKA !?

lastcody
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby lastcody » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:26 pm

uhhh did you hear the news

http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/17010/Until-You-Come-to-me-EVA-SHORT-FILM-40-HYPE/

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:27 pm

It happens, I remember watching EoE and was all like "This is it? This all there is or ever will be? Why did he run out of plot and money? Was his plot not good enough for money? Why won't he do anything?" Then I was like "Chaddy, you got to chill bro, he'll get smarter and craftier, he'll grow into the creator you want to him to be, he may not be the creator you need but he'll be the creator you deserve."
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Jimbob
Adam

Postby Jimbob » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:57 pm

It's just fictional entertainment. There's always more somewhere.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:37 pm

Please don't lock this thread. I get depressed too sometimes about the franchise.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:09 pm

(I'd lock this thread if I still had the power to.)

bladerj: Assuming there is not some kind of pathological depression causing you to feel depressed about things that logically do not warrant it -- for which professional help is recommended -- I would suggest investing yourself in hobbies that do not involve Eva. If you don't have a job, get one, even if it's a shitty one you think you're too good for. If you're just trolling, I would suggest investing yourself in hobbies other than trolling.
Last edited by Reichu on Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:13 pm

bladerj: Like LastCody posted, there's no need to be depressed with the Until You Come to Me and Peaceful Times videos.

I linked to this on that news post the other day, but again, for reference:

View Original Post1731298478 wrote:Every time Anno works on Eva he breaks down. The original Eva nearly killed him. The new project (http://neweva.blog103.fc2.com/blog-entry-3369.html) is by no means a diversion but something he has to do leading up to the next Eva film. He broke down again after he finished Q, but being married helped him to bear it. He was told by Miyazaki to persist to the end, so he will do so.

Eva's still on Anno's/khara's mind, and they'll get back to it after the 30 Animator Expo shorts are finished. :) Also related.

But it's just like Reichu wrote: Find other hobbies. Busy yourself with something outside of Eva.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:05 am

The Eva in your mind is the true Eva.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

EvangelionGodMode
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby EvangelionGodMode » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:43 am

The only depressing part for me is when it ends and i have to go watch something else. Trying to find something on par and as intriguing as Eva is hard.
Bong. James Bong. Bruce lee the way I kick it, Tiger Woods the way I hit it.-Blake ,Workaholics.
To put it in laid man terms, hes getting laid man.-Blake, Workaholics.
"You shoulda known the price of evil"-M Shadows

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:39 am

View Original PostEvangelionGodMode wrote:The only depressing part for me is when it ends and i have to go watch something else. Trying to find something on par and as intriguing as Eva is hard.

Going on an odyssey through the arts isn't that difficult. There are more works out there worth your time than you will ever know. All you have to do is pick a string that piques your curiosity and start pulling on it. You do have to be willing to push your boundaries and try things you ordinarily might not, though.

ENT coming to an end is no more "depressing" than the state of things when most of us arrived on scene, as well.

Merkaba
Sachiel
Sachiel

Postby Merkaba » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:54 am

It is depressing.
On the one hand, I wish the movies would never end, because there's never been a point in my life where I've ever thought, "wow, I really hope I never get to see new Eva again."
On the other hand, every story needs an ending, and I need to see how this tale is wrapped up. It's been an incredible ride and I have zero doubts that Anno is going to deliver something phenomenal.
So yeah, happy to see how everything plays out, depressed that this is essentially it for an Anno-driven Eva series.

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

Postby ElMariachi » Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:43 am

View Original PostMerkaba wrote:So yeah, happy to see how everything plays out, depressed that this is essentially it for an Anno-driven Eva series.

Didn't Anno said recently that he would eventually come back to Eva sometime after NTE?
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:20 am

...Which I quoted a few posts above yours. :wink:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby Sicarius VI » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:00 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:Didn't Anno said recently that he would eventually come back to Eva sometime after NTE?

I thought Anno was done with Evangelion after NTE, am I wrong?

As for op waiting for Evangelion news, well it is nice that we finally got something after all our waiting and subsequent failure of the NTV airing to show anything.

But I know what op means which is more of boredom leading to depression. This happened to me in the summer which lead me to join Evageeks, so I at-least has people to talk to about the lack of Eva news.

Being frank this happens with any franchise in the period of waiting for something new to be released. Like non-Eva example would be Halo, each game came out 3 years after the pervious one, that's a lot of time to wait. It's just like waiting in a void until a new release comes out. The thing is too it's not even that fair because fans wait usually upwards of years for a new release to come out for anything. That new release depending on what it is maybe 1 hour to 10/12 hours worth of content.After waiting years for it to come out.

Our shinning example would actually be the final Eva movie. Hell it may not even come until the beginning or end of 2016, and just up till recently we have know next to nothing about it, and we arguably are still in that same boat.

Waiting for stuff sucks.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Dataprime » Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:50 pm

Evangelion - the gift that keeps on giving

:shinchair:

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:31 pm

View Original PostDataprime wrote:Evangelion - the gift that keeps on holding back

:shinchair:

FTFY
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:42 pm

View Original PostSicarius VI wrote:I thought Anno was done with Evangelion after NTE, am I wrong?

I bet this will end up like Miyazaki and his retirement(s).

The thing is too it's not even that fair because fans wait usually upwards of years for a new release to come out for anything.

:|

The entitlement is strong with this one.

Yes. It takes years to do things. Perhaps instead of being a mere consumer, passively waiting "years" for the next big meal to come along, you could be actively creating things. (This does not have to art, necessarily.) Feel the thrill of personal productivity as you realize that, whatever your goal might be, it could take years to achieve it! You could even have multiple goals -- what a challenge! You may even begin to forget about all those things whose release dates you were once so fixated on; your life so full that, instead of feeling starved for more more MORE, you actually have to be selective about what media you choose to consume because there is no way you can bite into it all.

I really don't get the angst that people will profess to when they're waiting for something as trivial as a movie or video game or something. I have programmed myself to NOT consciously "wait" for something to come out; I will simply go about my business until it is there. (I make a small exemption for participating in the hype train a couple of months before new Eva movie comes out, but this is explicitly PRE-RELEASE, far from the years of "IS IT HERE YET???" we get around here.)I'm not sure what's so difficult about this for so many people, but I sure wish it wasn't.

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Dataprime » Mon Dec 22, 2014 1:59 pm

It's not all about the fans. Think about poor Anno and all the stress he is under to make the damn thing.

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

Postby Sicarius VI » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:18 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:The entitlement is strong with this one.

Well I feel a little offended, but I see what you mean and also the part that I said about the amount of content something actually holds "maybe 1 hour to 10/12 hours..." was the second part about that.

Maybe I shouldn't say unfair/ not fair, but my whole point for that argument was what I said at the end which is waiting sucks.

Also about being productive, no disagreement there, and it does let you forget about being fixated on a movie or video game to come out. Granted for many people who's life is center around the computer or anime for them saying being productive is like telling them to go outside, and well I don't know how many times said person would even listen.

@Dataprime- I wasn't referring to Evangelion just any franchise in general, I already said I'm taking back saying fair or unfair. Also for Anno it is more than understand able and with every other franchise it is understandable because it is the journey of making/creating for them and then seeing what their fans think(that 's Video games mostly).

Understanding this doesn't change the opinion waiting sucks, but like everything it has it's ups and downs.

Also thankfully for Evangelion the re watch value is incredibly high, not something you can say for mostly everything else.
Last edited by Sicarius VI on Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Sorrow » Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:31 pm

There are many other ways one can be productive. More productive than going outside, too. Why not attempt to create something yourself? Draw up a plan?
The fate of man…the hope of man is written in sorrow.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”