"Until You Come to me" EVA SHORT FILM 3+1 HYPE

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:37 pm

I agree with this, certainly. The credit “Original Author: Hideaki Anno” feels more like a “based on the original concept by:” kind of credit than it does “Adapted from the work of” or even a “written by” credit. The short film certainly feels like the individual’s own personal feelings of Eva, and not representative of those of Anno’s.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:38 pm

That would be the same as saying that the new Star Wars movies aren't canon because Lucas isn't directing and only serving as a creative consultant/story person. In this Anno is the Exec. Producer, which is a higher role than simply a consultant. I highly doubt that any ideas which are very contrary to his overall vision for evangelion (which is basically his magnum opus) would have been showcased in his own exposition.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Sorrow » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:42 pm

I don't believe anyone is saying this is absolutely what Anno wanted to show us, but you have to wonder if he had some authority or input on what was being presented here. It's certainly a possibility; it's not as if the work comes from a place that Anno isn't working at - let alone the executive producer.
The fate of man…the hope of man is written in sorrow.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:45 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:That would be the same as saying that the new Star Wars movies aren't canon because Lucas isn't directing and only serving as a creative consultant/story person. In this Anno is the Exec. Producer, which is a higher role than simply a consultant. I highly doubt that any ideas which are very contrary to his overall vision for evangelion (which is basically his magnum opus) would have been showcased in his own exposition.

No, because the new Star Wars movies are clearly marked as sequels, and this has given us nothing to believe anything of that sort.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:50 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:That would be the same as saying that the new Star Wars movies aren't canon because Lucas isn't directing and only serving as a creative consultant.

That would be the case if Abrams' Star Wars was pulling from two separate continuities in order to create his SW movie, which can’t happen on any level because even the Expanded Universe was recently officially pulled from film canon. This short film is clearly pulling from events that Shinji would have no recollection of, Sequel Theory or no. So the purpose of this short film doesn’t even seem to be interested in concerning itself with canon and plot order, but rather with tone and concept. Now, tone and concept are just as much a part of Eva as any plot or canon element would be, and this is published by Studio Khara. So this short film is most certainly officially branded Evangelion text, as opposed to fan-input Evangelion text.

But official Evangelion text does not automatically mean NTE or NGE canon. Sadamoto’s manga is another fine example of this. Within terms of certain elements, events, and characters it uses, Sadamoto’s manga does seem to bridge the gap between NGE and NTE, but not in anyway that pertains to the canon of either of those series. It simply matches Eva’s aesthetic principles as the essence of Eva continues to evolve and adapt with each new re-telling.

This short film seems to be doing the same thing as Sadamoto’s manga, but instead of using only events and aesthetics from both series, it uses concept, ideology, and metaphors as it references both series in order to create it’s own unique self.

At least, that’s how I feel about it so far. If Eva Shin is released and the first 5 minutes of the movie includes an expanded form of this exact short film used as a fully realized scene in the movie, then I’ll reconsider how I feel about this short film.

Sicarius VI
Tokyo-3 Resident
Tokyo-3 Resident

•      
  •      

Postby Sicarius VI » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:41 pm

View Original PostElMariachi wrote:People that aren't batshit crazy or Eldritch Abominations would be nice, and the way you describe his future life will be really shitty: in short everyone hates him and want to get rid of him, and the only thing that keeps him in one piece is an unholy world-ending giant monstrosity that keeps everyone in check.

Well I don't know who is batshiy crazy... Yui?

Also that is not what I meant, I just mean if for whatever reason Asuka,Rei, and Shinji split up and Misato and Asuka stopped caring, he would always have Yui and Rei. Also I stated that Wille better not try to fuck with Shinji or Yui would term them a new one and likely kill Misato the way Gendo is killed...(doubt that just my opinion).

Also I know I have been preaching about them splitting up, which of course doesn't need to be the case. At the very end of the short, Shinji could very well staring at Asuka or Rei or both. Also if this is post Q then that is not the Shinji we where left with at the end of Q, Shinji must have somehow snapped out of his EOE state.

Also it was common knowledge that the three needed each other to survive, and let's be honest if Asuka pulled him out of the plug after thinking of leaving him there then she has some I finish feeling for him.

Also since that scene can be parallel to the opening scene of EOE with the whole water splash, then it might be a parallel to say that maybe Shinji is walking towards Asuka, but this time not to do what his NGE counterpart did.

Also addressing the whole canon vs non-canon argument, this work has not be stated as being canon. With that being said I doubt Anno would've let this through without his input, Evangelion is what really made Anno, and I think while yes this has outside influence I completely disagree with saying Anno had no say in this and therefor not canon.

I actually really agree with what TMBounty Hunter said about it being the missing part to Q, and this was a way Anno wanted to show us it. Also he did joke that the next movie could be released by 2018 or rather up to 6 years, which if that turns out to be true he gave us this nice 5 minute video to look over and analyze for months or even years. But saying since Anno wasn't the head of the project(which he really is) therefor not canon is just no.

This doesn't mean when Shin is released it may contradict some of what has appeared here, because I have a feeling it will, and becuause it is the movie gets the right away.
"I'm not going there to die, I'm going to find out if I'm really alive." - Spike Spiegel

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:07 pm

IIRC, the Peaceful Times storyboard stuff could have been from that missing "part D", as well. Whether or not that's the case for both Peaceful Times and Until You Come To Me, we just have to wait for FINAL, or at least the 3.0 CRC.

I tweeted this the other day regarding Minna no Eva Fan's 3.0 + 1.0 theories, for those who missed it (or TM's post several pages ago):

Thinking about it now (in a bit of a duh! moment), this could be yet another reason the 3.0 (and FINAL) CRCs won't be released until after the film's out: there's unused material from 3.0 they might be considering (given Peaceful Times and Until You Come To Me) putting into FINAL in some form.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:30 am

Video is absolutely gorgeous. Would love to get my hands on a high quality file - some of those shots are dying to be made into wallpapers.

OppaiDefender
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby OppaiDefender » Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:27 am

Just to be clear is this thread for discussing the actual video and it's implications, it's canonicity, the "who worked on what" of it or all of the above?

vito
Clockiel
Clockiel

•      
  •      

Postby vito » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:04 am

Tadashi Hiramatsu is a... young animator? He worked on the original series and that wasn't the oldest anime he worked on by far... and Hideaki Anno is also credited for layouts along with Hiramatsu and Kushida.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:19 am

Think you're missing the point, vito.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:03 pm

Don't know if somebody has said it before, but Asuka's pictures are just her four apparitions :

- NGE
- The Feature Film
- Ha
- Q

Just that.
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:38 pm

View Original PostOppaiDefender wrote:Just to be clear is this thread for discussing the actual video and it's implications, it's canonicity, the "who worked on what" of it or all of the above?

Implications for fans discussing Sequel Theory goes here: https://forum.evageeks.org/thread/6022/A-remake-or-a-sequel/

The other 2 (canonicity, who worked on what) go here.

Hope that helps!

Blue Monday: I have a copy I made via Internets. Send me a PM if interested. Can't remember if the Peaceful Times short linked to in-thread or people had to find their own copies?

Infinite Freedom Machine
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Infinite Freedom Machine » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:44 pm

The shot of the four adams is pretty inexplicable. Who stuck those spears in them? When did that occur? If one was turned into mark 06 and the other eva 13, what happened to the other two?

Regarding the short's canonicity, there's no apparent reason why it should be discarded as irrelevant to the plot of NTE as I see it, at least until events in NTE blatantly contradict information in the short.
Last edited by Infinite Freedom Machine on Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's the only NEET thing to do.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:46 pm

I like how it's a callback to both the MP Evas during 3I along with a continuation(?) of what could have happened in NTE 2I (Misato flashback told by Kaji).

There's some theories that Eva-01 is one of the missing ADAMs: http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/4325/What-are-the-Adams/

Infinite Freedom Machine
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Infinite Freedom Machine » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:00 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:I like how it's a callback to both the MP Evas during 3I along with a continuation(?) of what could have happened in NTE 2I (Misato flashback told by Kaji).

This seems likely; at least it seems much less probable that the shot is meant to be after Q, and that somehow eva 13 and possibly the mark 06/unit 01 and the remaining adams have gathered together and speared themselves.

SPOILER: Show

Unlike the MP evas, the ADAMs aren't gripping the spears and shoving them into themselves in this shot. If we're taking this to be the state of things sometime after 2I/before the construction of eva 13 then it was sometime after this that one of these things was taken and turned into eva 13. One possible hypothesis is that 2I was stopped when Nerv speared the four ADAMs, and then proceeded to dissect and re-purpose their biologically suspended bodies. Or perhaps the spears autonomously put an end to 2I themselves and Nerv just happened upon them.

Regardless, this shot is pretty interesting because it shows what are likely the conditions in which a lot of concepts introduced in Q (vessel of adams, eva 13) were developed by humanity from.

Jäeger
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Jäeger » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:06 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:I like how it's a callback to both the MP Evas during 3I along with a continuation(?) of what could have happened in NTE 2I (Misato flashback told by Kaji).

There's some theories that Eva-01 is one of the missing ADAMs: http://forum.evageeks.org/thread/4325/What-are-the-Adams/

And don't forget about Mark. 09, the "vessel of Adams"

About the short ¿Official? Why not? Canon?? Wating for an explanation how that can be if we're talking about a symbolic and artistic film. As canonical as a videoclip. The hell, it's closer to a videoclip or an experimental tribute tahn a real film. It's not even footage from the final movie, except (maybe) the last moments.
Do american "cool" people know that in Europe only alcoholics and homeless drink wine without food by their side???

unitM
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby unitM » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:54 pm

An official short, 4 Asukas, and plenty of EoE references. I find it funny how people are still finding a disconnect between NTE and NGE/EOE but whatever, if there's one thing I picked up from Eva, people always have something to defend. :shifty:

Infinite Freedom Machine
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Infinite Freedom Machine » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:56 pm

View Original PostunitM wrote:An official short, 4 Asukas, and plenty of EoE references. I find it funny how people are still finding a disconnect between NTE and NGE/EOE but whatever, if there's one thing I picked up from Eva, people always have something to defend. :shifty:
It's not really that people are finding a disconnect, but rather that visual references aren't the same thing as plot connections.

unitM
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby unitM » Sat Dec 20, 2014 2:03 pm

View Original PostInfinite Freedom Machine wrote:It's not really that people are finding a disconnect, but rather that visual references aren't the same thing as plot connections.
The visual reference of Shinji travelling and finding himself isn't the same thing as Q concluding with Shinji being empty inside and travelling a vast expanse of a desert?

The visual reference of the misshapen black moon lying on it's side isn't the same as the misshapen black moon that was pulled out of the earth by 4I and was rested on it's side?

The visual reference of Shinji piercing himself in hist chest-core isn't a metaphorical reference to the plot of Shinji's character, where his identity is strongly tied to the Evangelion units and his depressive life script?

:huh:

Edit while I agree they aren't the same thing, they are certainly sound continuations of where we left off. Saying they aren't the same thing really doesn't prove anything. The point is, the storyboard appears to be a legitimate continuation of the Eva plot line from Q, backed by Anno himself.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”