"Until You Come to me" EVA SHORT FILM 3+1 HYPE

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
lastcody
Tunniel
Tunniel

"Until You Come to me" EVA SHORT FILM 3+1 HYPE

•      
  •      

Postby lastcody » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:47 pm

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:01 pm

Jesus Christ, Shinji. :sniffle:
SPOILER: Show

I'll reiterate what I said in another thread: This short is now my favorite thing to come out of Rebuild.
Last edited by Guy Nacks on Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Atropos
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Atropos » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:10 pm

Very pretty, but what precisely is it? Just a walkthrough of some of the imagery of Q, set to some original music? (Not that there's anything wrong with that, mind. I'm just seeking clarification.)

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:19 pm

Moved to general Rebuild thread.

This was also posted and being discussed in the Animator Expo thread. Slowly making my way through these in order, so my thoughts later.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

lastcody
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby lastcody » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:21 pm

based on the entry plug and

this

its obvious it takes place after the end of 3.0, during the time Shinji, Asuka, and Rei Q are walking to "Where the Lilin are"

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:24 pm

There was this one shot a very symbolic one. Where Shinji, has his heart (in shape of an Eva Core) ripped out of his chest.

Made me hurt inside. Poor kid. . .

But other than that maybe the earth isn't dead and maybe the time loop theory has some merit (them showing NGE, EOE, 2.0, and 3.0 Asuka all together) we still don't know what's going on.

So is this like a teaser trailer or something?

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:25 pm

Shinji boy.... The pipes are calling. :nopity:
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:28 pm

I slept three hours the other night. I should be sleeping now. Was watching an ASMR video (check those out if you have trouble falling asleep).
Suddenly, a new evageeks tweet (I get notifications). Here I am lol.

That short was so little, yet so beautiful.
Final Impact is gonna be some fucked up shit.
Picture me makoed.
:klkmako: :klkmako:
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

skulkidcachi90
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby skulkidcachi90 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:31 pm

So Rei Q is gonna die Before doing the peaces with Shinji ?

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:32 pm

View Original Postskulkidcachi90 wrote:So Rei Q is gonna die Before doing the peaces with Shinji ?

You just witnessed her death. 3.0+1.0 will begin without her.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:34 pm

It's all happening in Shinjis Broken mind. For all we know everything's symbolic.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:40 pm

The Four Asukas:

Interesting that they would include two from the original series timeline...very interesting.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

MrSniper1401
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MrSniper1401 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:41 pm

What if besides fixing up the dub, the reason for 3.0's American release being delayed for so long was so it could include this short?
The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:42 pm

I know some people are annoyed by the sequel theory. I personally don't care. As long as it's something that adds. If Rebuild is a sequel.

But here were some clear NGE references.
The panty flashing Asuka from 8, and the hospital Asuka from EoE.
WTF

Edit: Heh, Guy Nacks made a better post. :P
Last edited by kuribo-04 on Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:42 pm

As interesting as this is, only two things jump out at me:

1. The director, Tatsuya Kushida. This guy is a background artist and occasionally art director who has been with Gainax since Wings of Honneamise. He has worked on NGE and ENT as well as more recently on The Wind Rises and Kaguya-hime for Ghibli. Other than that there's not much info about him.

He's also the one responsible for the cat illustration in the 2015 calendar: https://yande.re/post/show/276626/

Unlike the rest of the artist for the calendar he doesn't have an extensive bio written up next to his name. Just 3 words: "Animation art director".

Given the subtitle that this is just his sketches set to music, is it suggesting this is nothing more than the extension of the cat pic, which is still of dubious canonicity? :P

2. Yesterday, a day before this new short was revealed Minna no Evafan made an interesting post: http://neweva.blog103.fc2.com/blog-entry-3482.html

In it they mention that given what we know from the 2.0 CRCs, Q's short running time and what we see in the making of feature, and the interviews:

-2.0 was broken down into 4 parts: A, B, C, D
-we know from Q making-of that Mari ejecting Shinji, pretty much the tail end of the movie is cut #1465 is Part C
-Q's Part A and B, up to the title break amount to 53 minuts. Part C is only 38 minutes
-we also know that the actual end with Asuka rescuing Shinji and the 3 kids walking off into the distance are cuts #1011-1033, meaning they were finalized in script/storyboards before the entire climactic dogma battle and 4th Impact
-we know from Megumi Ogata's interview in the theatrical booklet that after Kaworu died she couldn't bring herself to do any more lines and Anno was ok with that and adjusted the movie accordingly (I'm about 90% sure on this one, the translation on the wiki is only partial but i definitely remember seeing more bits of it on the internet.)

Given all of the above the theory is that Q originally had 4 parts just like 2.0 but Part D got dumped. The storyboards presented in the Shiro Sagisu video of the kids wandering the desert presumably came from that dumped Part D.

This all leads to speculation that Evangelion 3.0+1.0 is not in fact Shin/Final, but instead Evangelion Q as was released, plus the initially dumped Part D reattached. Thus instead of Q, we will get 急, as Jo-ha-kyū (序破急) implied from the start and only after that we'll get Shin/Final.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:46 pm

Given the subtitle that this is just his sketches set to music, is it suggesting this is nothing more than the extension of the cat pic, which is still of dubious canonicity? :P

Anno is credited as author though.
That other stuff is very interesting.

I don't know why, but I think Anno wouldn't do that. I could be wrong obviously, but I don't see him flexible enough to change 3.0 after the BD release and all that, but also flexible enough to just add that D part into the new movie (FINAL).
Last edited by kuribo-04 on Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MrSniper1401
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby MrSniper1401 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:49 pm

If that turns out to be true, I would get the biggest case of blue balls ever.
The fate of destruction is also the joy of rebirth.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:50 pm

Can't wait to see what Demolition D has to say about this. . .

Grand Duke of Yashima
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Grand Duke of Yashima » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:00 pm

They're directly merging EoE with Q. That reflection in the lake with Shinji just spells it out.
EVA Fan Fiction: The Blue Rose Saga

https://www.facebook.com/EvangelionTheBlueRose

"The power of the Evangelion is the power of love"

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:02 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:Anno is credited as author though.

Anno is credited as the “Original Author,” while is almost like saying “Based on the material written by...”

As for the theory TM_BountHunter posted, regardless of whether or not Anno was going to have more occur after the kids wander off in the red desert, I think it’s fair to say that Q stands now as complete as it’s going to stand. Ogata's input was sound. If we the audience are as invested in Shinji as the filmmakers would have us be, then it only makes sense that if the actress has had enough that the rest of the audience might have also had enough. Actually going into that long walk after all that’s happened would have felt very awkward and long in the tooth at that point anyway. The movie felt as though it was going to end that that point as it was presented to us, so why not just have it end right there anyway? There’s already going to be another movie anyway where the filmmakers ca elaborate on anything hey wish to at this point.

Also, we’ll never be 100% certain of just how much Megumi Ogata left on the recording table until Q’s CRC is actually released. It could have just been a couple of lines here and there that would have lead up to the exact same ending that is in the movie now, but simply didn’t feel appropriate given the emotional state of the character at that point in the film’s narrative.

As of the NGE references in this short, I feel as though this is more of the director for this particular short film relating to the viewers his experience on the various Eva projects he’s been involved with thus far. Sure, it’s official Eva text. But official text doesn’t always equate with official canonical connections. Also, one of the four Asukas looks very similar to the depiction of the character used on an NGE trading card way back in the 90’s. Unless Shinji is remembering the existence of this Eva trading card in some meta sort of way, then it’s safer to assume that this is just the director telling us of his experience of and feelings towards Eva.
Last edited by FreakyFilmFan4ever on Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”