"Until You Come to me" EVA SHORT FILM 3+1 HYPE

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:51 pm

Completely ignoring the argument of whether this is canon or not lets just do the whole frame by frame business anyway :D

First of all this is Asuka's entry plug:

The livery was designed for 2.0:

It is confirmed to still be there in Q when Asuka ejects:

Next up the stabby stabby (gamma enhanced):

The knife on the left, given the zig-zag on the blade and the shape of the handle definitely looks like Eva-01's ENT prog knife:

The knife on the right I'm not too sure about. I thought it might be the NGE Eva-01 prog knife

But looking at the expo short the hilt seem to extend both ways. It seems to be more of a generic stabby knife.

The arms of the stabber also have the pattern of Eva arms. Also Shinji seems to be staring down mommy dearest when this is happening:

Daddy's also watching

So Eva knife is mommy stab, generic knife is daddy stab? Shinji's true feelings towards his terrible parents?

The Rei blink is recycled 1.0/NGE animation:

Last edited by TMBounty_Hunter on Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:52 pm

So Annos not even going to work on Evangelion Final until the animator shorts are done? Dear heavens!

But he needs time to recover, and I admire him for his artistic integrity.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:10 am

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:14 am

...all aboard the hype train.

First off, yes, it was an Eva short, and yes, I loved it. Beginning was a little slow, sure, but around the four minute mark IIRC we got some interesting stuff. There was an image of what looked like restraint-less Eva-01 with lances coming out of its mouth. Can somebody pull that image?

For a second, when they showed the Asukas and the different water shots, I felt a strong pang of sequel theory hearkening back to my earlier days as an Evangelion fan. If it turns out to be true, I'll have a lot of words to eat now.

Right now, I'm mostly focused on the fact that it's new Evangelion material. That alone excites me.

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:30 am

Lots of symbolism in the short.

^_^

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:43 am

So as expected /a/'s thread on this is a massive clusterfuck of the usual rage and waifu wars.

However there is one interesting post:

Looking at the Japanese wiki page, it does list him as working on Q but makes a note: (ノークレジット)(No credit).

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E4%B8%B2%E7%94%B0%E9%81%94%E4%B9%9F

[s]Looking through the movie credits I can't find him in there which seems to support the wiki unless I'm blind.

So if you did a bunch of stuff for a movie but it all ends up on the cutting room floor, does your name get dropped from the credits?[/s]

EDIT: Turns out I am blind, info here: http://forum.evageeks.org/post/775579/Annos-Animator-Expo/#775579
Last edited by TMBounty_Hunter on Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:45 am

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:...all aboard the hype train.

First off, yes, it was an Eva short, and yes, I loved it. Beginning was a little slow, sure, but around the four minute mark IIRC we got some interesting stuff. There was an image of what looked like restraint-less Eva-01 with lances coming out of its mouth. Can somebody pull that image?

For a second, when they showed the Asukas and the different water shots, I felt a strong pang of sequel theory hearkening back to my earlier days as an Evangelion fan. If it turns out to be true, I'll have a lot of words to eat now.

Right now, I'm mostly focused on the fact that it's new Evangelion material. That alone excites me.

Three Asukas, three deaths, fourth Asuka alive. Red world, blue world, Quantum Rei. Gnosis in six directions.

Train tracks? Why train tracks? Look down from above, see the whole track at once. Look down from far enough, see all the train tracks at once.

Red Earth : Philospher's Stone

When this baby hits 3.0 + 1.0 miles per hour we're gonna see some serious shit.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:48 am

Geez Chuckman this is heavy.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:59 am

Notice the prominence of the fish emblem or Ichthys on Shinji's back. Why fish? The fish in the gospels is the sign of Jonah, the symbol of the resurrection and fish imagery appears repeatedly. Christ performs several miracles involving fish (most famously the fishes and loaves, but also miraculous catches of fish, catching a fish with the temple tax in its mouth). This ties into the frequent ocean motif in Evangelion. In a parable Jesus uses the image of a fisherman's net to describe God gathering the good fish and casting the bad fish back into the sea.

Rebuild is full of imagery marking Shinji as a scapegoat in the idolatrous sense, a sin-eater who ritually takes on the sins of others. Gendo's sins, Misato's sins, even Asuka's sins.

They made Ayanami in the image of Lilith. A being of pure innocence created as a sacrifice. Rebuild is the story of Shinji's apotheosis. The first aspect of God he takes on is Christ the warrior king who slays the unrighteous with a sword emerging from his mouth, a destroyer of iniquity, an avenger of innocents. He is becoming Christ the Lamb. First the Christ of Revelations, then the Christ of the Gospels.

Shinji will die in Final, but he will wear a crown of thorns first. Watch and mark me for I speak true. He will die, and he will rise from the grave and birth a new world.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:26 am

That's not a fish Chuckman. That's one-half of the infinity symbol.

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:26 am

Seems like sequel theory's still got some merit to it, which I'm hoping for. My fractured Asuka theory may be proven true, oh and Shinji may be an angel now, which is pretty cool too, I still bet he's gonna become Kaworu.

Overall, pretty excited.

And the funny thing is that EoE might still be the true end.

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:I'm pretty sure it's an alpha, Ray.

Yeah, I'm willing to bet that Kaworu had the Omega symbol on his back, Shinji is the beginning and Kaworu is the end.
Last edited by ChaddyManPrime on Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:27 am

View Original PostRay wrote:That's not a fish Chuckman. That's one-half of the infinity symbol.

I'm pretty sure it's an alpha, Ray.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:37 am

Cut me some slack. I haven't seen the movie in a while. . . I probably won't see it again until after Final comes out considering it freaking destroys me every time.

Th3Marauder
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Th3Marauder » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:28 am

Oh man, snow. We're finally gonna get our Eva fight in the snow. Hell yes.

Also that shot of I'm presuming the four ADAMS with their Lances through their mouths was pretty damn freaky.

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:40 am

^

I think the stabbing of Shinji by Eva-01 and Gendo represents how they've broken Shinji all the way down to his core (aka Soul). Fitting when you think about it. :(
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:42 am

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:Using this short to confirm anything is silly. Only the finalized movies confirm things.

Yeah, this honestly reads more like a doujin to me. The animation and character designs certainly aren't consistent with the rest of the film series.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

EvangelionGodMode
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionGodMode » Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:45 am

Im still supporting my prediction that Shinji will die in 4.0. This definetely makes me think hard about the sequel loop theory now. Hopefully it turns out to be a mind rape experience. Very interesting that Misato and mari aren't shown in this short. Also showing the four asukas could be allusions to her constantly failing as a eva pilot. Also the pilots aren't together in this short, so maybe the end of 3.0 might of been changed again like the after credit scenes of 2.0 or the characters just go their seperate ways.
Bong. James Bong. Bruce lee the way I kick it, Tiger Woods the way I hit it.-Blake ,Workaholics.
To put it in laid man terms, hes getting laid man.-Blake, Workaholics.
"You shoulda known the price of evil"-M Shadows

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:39 am

At the most this gives a hint of what happens immediately after Q, but showing even less than, say, the preview at the end of Ha. Plus a brief glimpse into the tortured recesses of Shinji's mind. But the next film will start further along the story than that, I'm sure.

So, about as relevant as Peaceful Times. Good to see, of course, but nothing much to get excited about.

The Asuka montage just uses available images of Asuka to show an awareness of her different aspects - I don't see it feeding sequel or loop theory in the slightest.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:54 am

Is this the first time we've ever seen completely naked faces of Evas or similar beings drawn by actual staff? In NGE we see helmetless Eva-01 face but all bandaged up.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:55 am

^
I'm thinking Reichu is pretty accurate.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”