Platinum Edition

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Dave
Lilin
Lilin

Platinum Edition

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Mon Jun 21, 2004 8:15 pm

Not sure where this post should go, but I guess this could be considered news. Anyway, anyone got any information on the new Evangelion Platinum Edition?
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

coff
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby coff » Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:31 pm

http://www.evamonkey.com/2004_04_01_archive.php

Maverick
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Maverick » Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:36 pm

And here's a pic of the box.
http://www.animatedbliss.com/images/DVD/Neon%20Genesis%20Evangelion/lg_neon-genesis-evangelion_platinum-01-box.jpg
IMO, it's quite nice.
Boo!

Dennis
Embryo

Not to sound bitter...

•      
  •      

Postby Dennis » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:00 pm

I was reading in Newtype about the Evangelion platinum edition and I thought that it sounded like a plot my ADV to bilk loyal EVA fans of their hard-earned money. Besides having the Director's Cut episodes, what else is special about Platinum?
*insert something witty*

Maverick
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Maverick » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:09 pm

Well... they come with remastered video and audio (5.1). They may even come with some translated extras. :wink:
Boo!

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Jun 21, 2004 10:29 pm

Here's another press release from ADV. This one pertains directly to volume 1.

http://www.evamonkey.com/writings_adv6.php

coff
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby coff » Tue Jun 22, 2004 1:44 am

Whoa that box looks awesome. I wonder if there is a way to buy just the box without the dvds in it. :lol:

wildarmsheero
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby wildarmsheero » Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:52 am

Whoa, I didn't know there was going to be a box! I want it, it looks hot. I wonder, will it be one of those "First DVD comes with the box" deals?

Edit: Just checked Anime Nation. Right now you can pre-order the first DVD with the box for only $30.
Last edited by wildarmsheero on Tue Jun 22, 2004 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Comic | Art | Music | Blog | Anime | DVDs
The Galaxy Express 999 will take you on a journey, a never-ending journey. The Galaxy Express 999 will take you on a journey into the stars!

Ayanami
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Ayanami » Tue Jun 22, 2004 6:23 am

That would be nice...

I think I may just keep my Perfect Collection box, since I really like it, and just put the Platinum DVDs in that.

But the box is nice... hmmm...
Close your eyes and listen hard

coff
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby coff » Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:16 pm

I think i'll keep my money, I don't want to pay 200 bucks for a series I already have. :lol:

wildarmsheero
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby wildarmsheero » Tue Jun 22, 2004 3:49 pm

I do, because I'm insane.
The Galaxy Express 999 will take you on a journey, a never-ending journey. The Galaxy Express 999 will take you on a journey into the stars!

Slade
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Slade » Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:48 am

Well, it all works out for me because I never got the original eva DVDs. So now is my chance 8)
"All I have ever asked of this world is that when my time comes, let it be for something, not of something."

- Slade

Vulkurt
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Vulkurt » Wed Jun 23, 2004 10:11 am

coff wrote:I think i'll keep my money, I don't want to pay 200 bucks for a series I already have. :lol:

I must say that I agree with this sentiment, even though I do like to have the best edition of anything that I own. When Buena Vista re-releases Miyazaki movies, I will definately replace my cheap-o copy of their original release of My Neighbor Totoro.

But, I do like to give my 5.1 system a workout ... How about this - for those of you that have the "Perfect" collection (which is looking not so perfect anymore), will you get rid of it if you decide to get the new set? Just curious ...
Done. Guarding.

wildarmsheero
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby wildarmsheero » Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:46 am

I'm going to keep mine. So when I make my shrine, it won't be missing anything.

Asterix
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Asterix » Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:34 pm

Does anybody know if it's going to be a cardboardish box like the Perfect Collection one, or a laser-engraved limited edition set like the first run of Paul Champagne ones? Cause I may just get it if it's a metal one, in part just to say I have both metal boxes...
"why is it when an eva gets free will, the first thing it does is eat its own?"
"...tastes like chicken?"

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Jun 23, 2004 3:34 pm

If ADV would be kind enough to send me a review copy prior to the release, I would tell you. Sadly I have not even gotten a response to my emails. And there have been several emails, over the last month.

coff
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby coff » Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:32 pm

Vulkurt wrote:

even though I do like to have the best edition of anything that I own.

How is Platinum any better than the Perfect collection? It's the same damn series. I could care less about the "remastered" video or whatever, and all the other extras. And what happens 10 years from now when they release the "Super Platinum edition"?

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:33 pm

When they release the super platinum edition ten years from now, I'll buy it along with millions of other fans. :D
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

Super Mega Ultra Deluxe
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Super Mega Ultra Deluxe » Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:46 pm

coff wrote:How is Platinum any better than the Perfect collection? It's the same damn series. I could care less about the "remastered" video or whatever, and all the other extras. And what happens 10 years from now when they release the "Super Platinum edition"?

I believe there's deleted scenes as well. Wich would mean it is a more complete version than the Perfect Collection. I'm not sure, wouldn't that make the Director's Cuts rather obsolete? I know it's basically a English Renewal, but I don't know much about Renewal. Edit: Nope, no cuts I guess.

I don't have all the DVDs yet (buying them individually at my store rather than getting the Perfect Collection is actually cheaper because of my discount), so I'm going to put buying the rest on hold then wait for the Platinum Edition.
Last edited by Super Mega Ultra Deluxe on Thu Jun 24, 2004 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:48 pm

I'll just say that I've seen the NewType Renewal compararison video, and the video and audio quality is very very nice.

It was almost like watching it again for the first time. It just felt more immersive for some reason, more compelling.

The Renewal set includes new stuff, but no new animation. There are little things here and there you notice, for instance, in the first episode, when Shinji refuses to pilot Unit 01, the Eva's eyes turn off, and then after it activates to protect him from the falling debris, he looks up at it and its eyes turn back on. It was a very intriguing alteration, I can't wait to see what else was altered.
Last edited by The Eva Monkey on Wed Jun 23, 2004 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”