The accuracy of this Evangelion Timeline

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Th3Marauder
Lilith

The accuracy of this Evangelion Timeline

•      
  •      

Postby Th3Marauder » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:59 am

http://qmisato.tumblr.com/post/97427931769

I'm not sure how many people would have seen this before, but as someone who is a big fan of being pedantic as hell about timelines in shows, it really caught my interest. A quick search on here didn't turn up that much talk about timelines (but if I just missed it and this exact topic has been talked about before, feel free to lock).

So my question is, how accurate is this timeline exactly? Also why have we always thought that EoE ends on January 1st, like why is it just a given? Is there anything in this timeline that doesn't work?

xPearse
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby xPearse » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:11 am

That timeline seems pretty good, but for accuracy, I'm pretty sure there's a timeline in those Eva Chronicle things. Although, who knows if they're cannon or anything like that.

Atropos
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Atropos » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:11 am

Bleh, looks almost identical to Shadowjack's timeline—the only difference being that he moves the events of episode 24 back by one day, so the 17th Angel battle occurs on the 24th.

And, as NemZ noted in another thread, the attack on NERV can't be the day after Kaworu's death—both sides needed time to get their pieces in position.

Th3Marauder
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Th3Marauder » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:19 am

View Original PostAtropos wrote:And, as NemZ noted in another thread, the attack on NERV can't be the day after Kaworu's death—both sides needed time to get their pieces in position.

... doesn't the timeline I linked show the attack on Nerv as the day after Kaworus death?

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:19 am

I'm not sure how this guy was so precise with every single date. In 2015, there are two Friday the 11ths - one being September 11, which he plugs as Israfel's date of defeat, and then there's December 11. You can check it on your computer calendars with ease - 2015 is almost here, after all.

I don't remember if we see the last row of that calendar, but if the month in question has 30 days instead of 31, he's right. Otherwise, the entire timeline could very well be shunted three months back. I don't remember where EoE being on New Years Day came from, either.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:01 am

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:I don't remember where EoE being on New Years Day came from, either.

To wit: In EoE, when Third Impact is starting, on Maya's monitor the date is displayed as 2015. But in EoTV, after 3I is underway, a telop says it is 2016. Obviously, this deduction requires a belief in at least some weak form of concurrency.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:57 pm

Thanks, Monk! It's been ages since I watched EoTV, and I'd totally forgotten about the date in it.

Okay, that gives us two points of reference - if EoTV/EoE's events happen over New Years for 2015-2016, the only correct month for Friday the 11th can be September, so it means that this timeline is correct after all.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:15 pm

...People need to check The Editorium more often. :tongue: Not enough feedback in there on Wiki stuff, it's sad.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:34 pm

However accurate the timeline may be, I wish there were more citations from the series proper to support a lot of these dates. Other than the Friday, September 11th and the New Years Eve/Day hint, are there anymore concrete details about dates within the show? Kaworu arriving Christmas Eve and dying Christmas Day may not contradict the timeline, but it sounds like fanwankery to me. God of the gaps mentality seems to be at work here.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:35 pm

I'll bet you fifity bucks that the production staff never once glanced at a calendar.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

StarShaper7
Arael
Arael

•      
  •      

Postby StarShaper7 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:08 pm

Shinji missed Asuka's birthday?

:asuka_sad:

Atropos
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Atropos » Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:59 pm

View Original PostSachi wrote:However accurate the timeline may be, I wish there were more citations from the series proper to support a lot of these dates. Other than the Friday, September 11th and the New Years Eve/Day hint, are there anymore concrete details about dates within the show?

SJ's timeline (from which the one linked above borrows liberally) is based on the appearances of full moons etc. in the series.

God of the gaps mentality seems to be at work here.

...what?

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:13 pm

View Original PostStarShaper7 wrote:Shinji missed Asuka's birthday?

:asuka_sad:

More like Anno missed it, 'cause he prolly didn't give a fuck! The plot must go on!
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:14 pm

I thought the birthdays were based on the VA's birthdays and not acknowledged in universe in any way.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:29 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I thought the birthdays were based on the VA's birthdays and not acknowledged in universe in any way.

There was a planned episode early in the development of the series to be centered around Shinji's 14th birthday, it would've been Episode 4 if I'm remembering correctly, so that would place it in the summertime, I guess. For whatever reasons, perhaps Anno wanting to flesh out Shinji's character in a different fashion, we ended up with Rain, After Running Away/Hedgehog's Dilemma and the whole birthday aspect was dropped.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:44 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I thought the birthdays were based on the VA's birthdays

Some characters but not all.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:19 pm

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:There was a planned episode early in the development of the series to be centered around Shinji's 14th birthday.

I thought Shinji was 14 during the series. His birthday is June 6, 2001.

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:21 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I thought the birthdays were based on the VA's birthdays and not acknowledged in universe in any way.

Regardless, IIRC they were not decided upon until after the show had aired.

And I too doubt they cared that they had their calendars and dates correct. This is the kind of thing that easily slips past continuity checks or even basic fact checks, for example in the Resident Evil series a particular journal entry is marked with a calendar day that doesn't even exist (a 31st of some month that has only 30 days).

Nevertheless people manage to construct credible timelines from incidental clues and it's interesting to see.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:27 pm

View Original PostNuclear Lunchbox wrote:I thought Shinji was 14 during the series. His birthday is June 6, 2001.

The episode title from the Proposal is: "14 Years, the First Day," so that seems to be an indicator that it's his 14th birthday even though earlier in the proposal it identifies Shinji's age as 14.

Gainax couldn't even keep continuity in their proposal :facepalm:

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:01 am

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:Gainax couldn't even keep continuity in their proposal :facepalm:

Did the proposal actually say he starts the series as 14? Episode 4 is an early enough time for a birthday to say that he's 14 "in general" throughout the series.
System Administrator

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”