Gender as Text Field vs Radio Button

Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Dataprime » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:53 pm

I always identified as a lizard, myself

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:55 pm

Because there are people who are not comfortable with either the male or female gender identities. Simple as that.

If the ability to accommodate someone exists, and their request does no harm, then there is no reason not to accommodate them.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Xard
Banned

Postby Xard » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:00 pm

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:Because there are people who are not comfortable with either the male or female gender identities. Simple as that.

We already have the ability to leave it blank in that case and "trans" users have for years just checked female/male option depending on their feels. I don't see how adding "Other" or ability to spell whatever they want into the field is worth the coding effort required. Or hell, any effort at all.

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:If the ability to accommodate someone exists, and their request does no harm, then there is no reason not to accommodate them.

I'm pretty sure

View Original PostXard wrote:Most of our location jokes are deeply unfunny or pointless as is (I'm sort of sick of Winland myself despite sticking to it for years and changing it to Finland requires soooooooo much energy), I don't want to double the amount of lol so funneh XD I scroll by daily.

That and giving any ground for obnoxious, pseudoacademic advocacy masquerading as science with accomoditation to "gender theory" is dumb in itself. I don't want to mod a forum that allows me to define myself as cisnormativenotquitebisexualtransfluidomnivorepangenderistkoalabear.

counts as harm, both intellectual and most damningly fuck-this-is-annoying-variety of it.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:02 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:counts as harm, both intellectual and most damningly fuck-this-is-annoying-variety of it.

No it counts as a annoyance..........to you, personally i and a few other people seem to like it.
As i said earlier, it is not necessary in the slightest but it harms nobody and only adds so i don't see why not.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Postby Tankred » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:05 pm

View Original PostGob Hobblin wrote:If the ability to accommodate someone exists, and their request does no harm, then there is no reason not to accommodate them.

But it will. This is just enabling the mentally unsound.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:09 pm

im going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you just worded that badly, cause currently it sounds like that is directed towards......you get the idea.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Catamari » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:11 pm

View Original PostTankred wrote:But it will. This is just enabling the mentally unsound.
I'm highly divided on this whole issue of gender. If this were about having an otherkin option, I would agree completely. I have nothing against transexuals, but the "choose your own gender" trend is getting out of hand. An "other" option would suffice, but I think going any further than that is just enabling people. Transexuals on the whole are a minority. The people who want special genders outside of male/female/other are a minority of a minority. Why should the time and effort be put into adding a feature that a very tiny portion of users would use legitimately? I get the feeling a "fill in the blank" gender field would be used as a joke. I sure as hell would make it one, for myself. Consider how "Location" is used.
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Dataprime » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:13 pm

I'm still wondering what this would actually accomplish other than a "hey look at me i'm_____ gender!"

- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Postby Tankred » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:14 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:im going to give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you just worded that badly, cause currently it sounds like that is directed towards......you get the idea.

Why? Do you suspect yourself?

No, this isn't directed towards anyone on this forum at this present time.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:18 pm

No i meant the way you worded it made it sound like it was directed at the minority groups we are currently discussing.
Im pretty sure it wouldn't be directly related to someone on the forum anyway since i don't think i have ever seen you directly go after someone.
EDIT: oh boy time to kill the best girl!

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:20 pm

Your argument, Xard, boils down to "This is fine by me, and I don't care if it inconveniences others." You say that it's fine for people to simply leave their gender options blank: okay, I'm looking at your public posting of your gender. And several other peoples.

Clearly you want people to identify you as a male. By this same logic, there are those who want to identify as something other than female or male, but the option does not exist: simply omitting an answer is not the same as providing an alternative answer.

If it makes you so uncomfortable, than allowing an 'Other' box is the best solution.

Tankred: Enabling the mentally unsound? Really? If you're talking about people shitposting in a gender field, that's one thing, but if you're actually saying a person who arrives at an alternate gender identity is somehow warped, than that's a pretty crappy thing to say.
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

Postby Tankred » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:28 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:No i meant the way you worded it made it sound like it was directed at the minority groups we are currently discussing.

I'm afraid it was directed at some minority groups. Just because a minority group is formed doesn't mean it's a totally legitimate cause we should be totally accepting of.

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:Im pretty sure it wouldn't be directly related to someone on the forum anyway since i don't think i have ever seen you directly go after someone.

Even though I disagree with some of your stances and poke fun at your yuri goggles, I wouldn't personally call out anyone unless they were over the line.

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

Postby Gob Hobblin » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:32 pm

View Original PostTankred wrote:I'm afraid it was directed at some minority groups. Just because a minority group is formed doesn't mean it's a totally legitimate cause we should be totally accepting of.

The minority group in question is one that exists and has existed for a long time. Across multiple cultures and throughout history. Simply saying "They don't need to be accepted" is shortsighted, ignorant of reality, and frankly cruel.

It is legitimate, because it is simply a fundamental facet of human nature: it is recognizing something that is, instead of pretending it isn't.
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:35 pm

If this were /a/, then we'd all be little girls (as confirmed by urlai.com*), and the point would be, ahem, moot.

As it is, there has been no push for this from our known TG members; and I'm with Xard on the matter of enabling of the weird and wacky or those who simply deserve classification alongside the people who think they're Napoleon.

*OTOH: forum.evageeks.org is probably written by a male somewhere between 26-35 years old. The writing style is personal and upset most of the time.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Postby Dataprime » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:38 pm

Couldn't one just leave the gender option blank? The same way some folks here don't have their age
listed.

- Suicidahlia

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:38 pm

^^ Actually the push would come from our TS or Intersex members if we have any as TG is more "Sex is m/f but Gender is f/m"
Yes this is a nitpick but i do that a lot.

Sorrow
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Sorrow » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:41 pm

Tankred wrote:This is just enabling the mentally unsound.
It isn't mentally unsound for one to feel out of place with what society insists they are. Identifications come with assumptions and expectations. Feeling out of step with them isn't about people thinking they're special, but feeling discontent with what others are saying about them from what they know about themselves.

Xard wrote:I don't want to mod a forum that allows me to define myself as cisnormativenotquitebisexualtransfluidomnivorepangenderistkoalabear.
Allows being the key word. No one is forcing you to define yourself as anything you're not comfortable with; but it seems you expect others to?
Last edited by Sorrow on Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The fate of man…the hope of man is written in sorrow.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:42 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:^^ Actually the push would come from our TS or Intersex members if we have any
One who was quite active a few years ago, at least.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Catamari
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby Catamari » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:49 pm

View Original PostSorrow wrote:Allows being the key word. No one is forcing you to define yourself as anything you're not comfortable with; but it seems you expect others to?
I don't understand why this is a big deal to start with. This is a forum, for fuck's sake, it's not indicative of reality in any way. If someone were to be turned off from this forum because we don't offer a custom gender option, the place is probably better without them. If your gender identity is so integral to your online experience, that without having it your specific way dictates what you do, you need to reevaluate your priorities. It would be like me demanding a field for mental illness, because I suffer from one. What purpose would it serve? The gender (much like mental illnesses) of any individual poster is largely irrelevant, I'll tear into just the same regardless of your gender. About the only thing that it affects are the pronouns, and don't even get me started on that.
Last edited by Catamari on Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Official Sexpert of Dai-Ero-Dan
"I LOVE LADIES." - The Eva Monkey
"If I can't wipe my own ass, then it's time for me to go." - Guy Nacks
"[Catamari] Just advising you to check your privilege" - Bagheera
"Fuck you, Switzerland" - Archer

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Rosenakahara » Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:50 pm

View Original PostSorrow wrote:It isn't mentally unsound for one to feel out of place with what society insists they are. Identifications come with assumptions and expectations. Feeling out of step with them isn't about people thinking they're special, but feeling discontent with what others are saying about them from what they know about themselves.

Allows being the key word. No one is forcing you to define yourself as anything you're not comfortable with; but it seems you expect others to?

Basically this, anything i said to these posts would just be too similar to sorrows to justify it existing.

^My sex/gender is important to me :uhh: and im not even trans/intersex, just because it isn't important to you doesn't mean its not important to everyone.

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”