[LAEM] Anno's doing new Eva... so what's left for the Live A

The place for all of the old Live Action Evangelion Movie threads.

Moderator: Board Staff

Helios_Eclipsed
Embryo

Anno's doing new Eva... so what's left for the Live Action?

Postby Helios_Eclipsed » Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:56 pm

I remember thinking, some months ago, that the most interesting prospect for an Evangelion Live Action film would be the chance for a team of writers to set about writing a trilogy of movies, knowing everything about the beginning, middle, and the ending, before the first shoot ever took place. It's no secret that the series, however great, was made on the fly, and the result was some plot compression or glossing over, and it's evident in the latter half more than anywhere (late introduction of Kaworu, anyone?). So how interesting would it be if the movies were basically the story of Evangelion broken roughly into 3 acts? Not to say it was a sure thing, but hey, good things can happen, and it is Weta working on it, so that's a decent sign, at the least.

But now Anno is making a new edit or remake (or "rebuild" or whatever) of Evangelion. Seems like he had the same thought I (and surely others) had. So if the original author goes to sort of... readapt (?) his own work... what's the value of a live action adaptation? I mean, I guess it would still be interesting to see how the story and designs could be brought to life to look realistic next to actors instead of animations... but as a story, is there much for it to really contribute?

I'm extremely interested in the prospects of both projects, but this question has occurred to me, and I haven't seen anyone else talking about it anywhere. So I'm just looking for thoughts in general. Do you think a live action movie, say the IDEAL one (not necessarily what we'll get), could be interesting in a truly worthwhile way? What would you do if you were part of the writing staff?

Hopefully someone is interested in this topic. Chime in with any thoughts you might have!

Kaysow
Bardiel
Bardiel

Postby Kaysow » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:30 am

i dunno lol

Not, a live action flick could still potentially rule. I guess there's just not as much call for one now.

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

Postby the_seventh_child » Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:28 pm

Before i knew about the "Rebuild of Eva", it was really exciting to know about the Live Action Movie! I was really interested about it!

But now, that i found out about that new project, i'm really looking forward to the new footage that Anno<--that's really important-- will make!

Generally, it's really feels great! In the upcoming years, more Eva! ^_^
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

giuliano
Lilith

Postby giuliano » Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:03 pm

I was really excited with the live action eva movie simply because i'd watched eva and read fanfics and the manga soo much that anything new i'd appreciate
i didnt have great hopes for the live action movie since i reckon they'd make it more suitable for a western audience, but Weta is definetly a bonus
This new rebuild on the other hand i'm extatic over - LAEM doesn't really matter at all to me now, as long as rebuild is good i'll be happy
It's GENDO~

Timstuff
Eva Technician
Eva Technician

Postby Timstuff » Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:05 pm

There's room for both IMO. Live action Eva will be a re-telling/remake of the show, while "rebuild of eva" will be a suppliment/companion piece to the show. I don't see why we can't have both.

Mundane
Sandalphon
Sandalphon

Postby Mundane » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:02 pm

Because the world would explode.

This much awesome can't be surmised.
"Evangelion's some heavy shit. I've heard people get into serious philosophical debates on the internet. Then they jack off." -C4

Return to “Live Action Evangelion Movie”