Street Fighter 5 announced for PS4 and PC

Discussions about non-Evangelion related video games, board games, card games and gaming in general.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

Re: Street Fighter 5 announced for PS4 and PC

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:47 am

Oh, really? That's good to know.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:51 pm

http://blogjob.com/oneangrygamer/2015/1 ... ensorship/

I don't buy it.

Ugh. Anyways, I'd like to take a moment to promote #1milliongamersstrongforjapanesegaming.

It's time we let Japanese Devs know that appealing to the perpetually offended doesn't make them money, we outnumber them, were the ones who buy your games. Give us what we want , no compromises.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:27 pm

I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me crotch shots or give me death.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:32 pm

Okay, first off, this is just the...stupidest thing to form a 'cause for social justice' around. I mean, we have police violence, economic problems, just all sorts of things wrong in the world, so going to the barricades for the right to see fan-service is just dumb.

It is a dumb thing, and I'm sorry: I'm calling it a dumb thing. There's no intelligent argument or rationale to bring to this debate, because you have people acting like the right to see bouncing tits in a game is some sort of Selma March. And that's stupid.

You want to play games with fan-service, hey, go for it! I'd lie if I said I didn't like fanservice. It's fun every now and then. But if the ESRB, for some reason, feels compelled to slap a game with an M-rating...yeah, it's stupid, but complain to the ESRB. That's on them. And you're an adult: you can buy an M-rated game. I have stacks of M-rated games. It's easy to buy them.

Acting like you're at that the forefront of the greatest moment for social justice in this century, though? No, you're not. This is just...a mindnumbingly minor problem. This is literally the definition of a First-World Problem. This is whining about not getting enough candy.
Though, Gob still might look good in a cocktail dress.
-Sorrow

Rei wanted to know what waffles tasted like.
-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:42 pm

First they came the the crotch shots, and I did not speak out.

Then they came for the ass slaps, and I did not speak out.

Then they came for the jiggle physics, and I did not speak out.

Then they came for the 8k resolution nude textures and high-res normals and body models for Skyrim, and there was no one left to speak out.

Also there is a legitimate issue that the junction of of a woman's legs or a woman smacking her own ass in an outfit you'd see on a lot of beaches during spring break warrants an M rating while beating the ever loving fuck out of people does not. Fuck the ESRB. Parents should make informed choices about what they allow their kids to do and buy. That's their problem, not mine.

The ESRB is a bunch of Hayes Code bullshit made up as a compromise to keep the government off the gaming industry's back and enforce the usual American obsession with violence good, titties bad.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:54 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:The ESRB is a bunch of Hayes Code bullshit made up as a compromise to keep the government off the gaming industry's back and enforce the usual American obsession with violence good, titties bad.

That much I agree with. Let's just keep the blame where it belongs, eh? Not Capcom, not some nebulous "SJW menace," but rather a bullshit ratings board that has been bullshit for longer than any of us have been alive (well maybe not me, but I'm fucking old so never mind).
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:56 pm

^ Hey if it means anything every souls game got an M for violence and blood even though they have no nudity (DS1 doesn't count unless you get THAT mod) so whoever rates those games actually knows what they are doing.

But yeah even if I personally have different ideas on why this happened that doesn't mean the ESRB ISN'T fucked :asuka_stare:
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:59 pm

I remember when the ESRB came about too.

Hell, I remember the original Night Trap controversy.
the prophecy is true

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:20 pm

It's not about the T&A . It's about the principle.

True studios might only be censoring Camera shots and costumes now. But it's only a matter of time before this dominoes into even more obvious Blatant censorship.

The ESRB is part of the problem. But they aren't the biggest issue.their standards sway with the political climate. Like communism, they have a vague definition of what applies, what makes a games content E T or M. And then apply it however they personally see fit.

I believe the ESRB enforces censorship to appease the potentially offended. Because most of them agree with those who want "problematic content" censored.

The ESRB is against censorship when Right Wingers come after violent games. But when the Far Left comes after a game with sexual or "problematic" content they go after the game, because they either agree with the SJWs, or else simply because they don't want to look like Bigots. So when a game has content they disagree with politically, they threaten a company with a rating they don't want. So the company either has to take a punch, or compromise content to get a T rating.

Why do you think Persona 3 and 4 got an M rating when aside from the sexual innuendo, theyre pretty tame?

Now about Street Fighter. Personally, it's not a deal breaker for me, i still plan to buy the game, and even if I wasn't, it's too big and beloved a franchise with too many followers to affect with Boycotts.

Why can't we just have sexy characters being without a few people ruining it for everyone else?

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:24 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Why can't we just have sexy characters being without a few people ruining it for everyone else?

Conservatives and regressive leftists both want to treat the female form as common property for different reasons.
the prophecy is true

IronEvangelion
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby IronEvangelion » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:35 pm

View Original PostRay wrote:Why do you think Persona 3 and 4 got an M rating when aside from the sexual innuendo, theyre pretty tame?
I think that has more to do with the Persona series having content that would offend America's Favorite Religion. Also a lot of the subject matter is really mature (suicide, serial killings, etc.)

But yeah it bothers me that a game like Halo 5 will get a Teen rating when simply adding a few butt slaps and crotch shots would get Street Fighter 5 a Mature rating. This double standard really needs to go, because the message that it's sending to the consumer is: "Killing people is more righteous and socially acceptable than sex." After decades of this being enforced in our media and culture, it's no wonder we have so many crazies coming out of the woodwork and killing people during the past few years.
[Redacted]

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:36 pm

^

Persona 3 and Persona 4 both got M-ratings for a LOT more than just innocent T&A and sexual themes. Whether you agree with it or not, there were plenty of other reasons to compile M-ratings for both of these games (which included monsters with sexual characteristics from both genders, strong language, etc.). In which case, this isn't forbidding the appearance of those things.

It's telling you these things exist, and thus the game is being rated for it.

This isn't censorship. This isn't remotely close to censorship. It's a rating system, and it hasn't done a thing to hurt sales of these games. Acting like it's the Bolsheviks coming for your books because of forbidden thought-speak is hysterics.

I cannot comprehend...I literally do not have the capacity...to wrap my mind around how this has to be equated as some sort of fight-for-free-speech issue. The speech isn't being forbidden, and it's not even being censored: it's being rated. That's not censorship.

Look at the X-rating: films like Midnight Cowboy and Clockwork Orange were X-rated, and both of those films are considered culturally significant films by the Library of Congress. Or the new NC-17 rating, for films like Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (not culturally significant yet, but highly regarded by multiple official film institutes).

Ratings aren't censorship, they're ratings. You're making a Mount Everest out of a molehill.
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

We have to remember what's important in life: friends, waffles, and work. Or waffles, friends, and work. But work has to come in third.
-Leslie Knope

Come read EVA Sessions! This place has it, too! There'll be pizza! Not really! There are other things, too! Not EVA Sessions! Did I mention the pizza!?

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:44 pm

I'll start another thread about this later to avoid derailing further. Sorry Gob, I can't agree with you this time.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:47 pm

Ratings aren't censorship except when they are. An NC-17 film is a huge financial risk so studios are careful to avoid that rating on major releases which limits creative expression. A few noteworthy films and directors get away with it but it's rare and takes darling status with the critical press.

Look, I don't mind video game companies or film studios labeling their content so that parents can make informed choices, but what's happening here is that the leverage of the financial risk is being used to push regressive censoring on a game. Street Fighter can't be rated M, ergo bitch and whine enough and whatever you dislike has to be removed so it can get that T rating.

It's not even the censorship that bothers me. It's the idea that it's okay to show a fourteen year old boy a scantily clad woman performing a wrestling move against an opponent on pavement that would kill him in real life, but it's not okay to show the same boy the same woman character touching her own butt.

Murder okay, butts bad. If a teenager playing this game can differentiate reality from fantasy enough to know that you can't really do a gravity-defying spinning piledriver and ram someone's head onto the pavement and they'll just get up, why can't they tell the rest of it is fantasy?

What, they might jerk off to Cammy's crotch? Unless they put her in a nun's habit she's going to get torrents of ball batter unleashed to her image by night, I guarantee you. Panning the camera up isn't going to help.

An alteration to the rendering of a dumb cutscene in a button mashing video game isn't the end of the world, but my God once you see it, it's everywhere.

I have a beautiful dream where vaguely Swedish killer ballerinas with impossible decolletage and foot thick thighs can hike their leotards into the cracks of their asses without suffering the judgement of prudes.
the prophecy is true

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:07 pm

Or you can eat the M-rating. An M-rating for a game is equivalent to an R-rating for a film, and films rated R (and for that matter, games rated M) certainly aren't hurting in sales.

So, make the case for why your content doesn't classify as an M, or just accept it. If it's that important to keep in, then take the rating or fight for a lower one.

I agree that it's absurd that violence gets a bigger pass than sexual innuendo, but I also think violence should get an M-rating. M-ratings don't define sales, ad campaigns and good reviews do. Yeah, I think the ESRB overstepped in this case (though the reason they gave included 'violence and gore,' so...who knows what the hell they were thinking?), but I also think this is a dumb thing to get so frantic about.

Whatever the rating, it's a Street Fighter game: it's going to move product. This is not censorship. At all.
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:43 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Look, I don't mind video game companies or film studios labeling their content so that parents can make informed choices, but what's happening here is that the leverage of the financial risk is being used to push regressive censoring on a game. Street Fighter can't be rated M, ergo bitch and whine enough and whatever you dislike has to be removed so it can get that T rating.

But nobody did that in this case. Like, nobody. This was entirely an internal decision. Say what you will about the ESRB, that's fine, but let's not pretend Capcom was somehow bullied into doing what some whiners wanted because that's not the case. They just made an (IMO weak) internal decision to play things safe.

IOW, call this what it is: a weak creative decision, not capitulation to some ambiguous external force. The one is just an excuse for the other.
Last edited by Bagheera on Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:54 am

I hope you guys both realize exactly how seriously I'm taking this.
the prophecy is true

Gob Hobblin
First Ancestor
First Ancestor

•      
  •      

Postby Gob Hobblin » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:57 pm

Honestly, I can't tell, because I've been up to my ears for the past two weeks in how 'SJWs' are strangling freedom of speech over this stuff. I'm...very numb to subtlety at the moment.
-Sorrow

-Literary Eagle

-Leslie Knope

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:31 pm

Check my DoA post for my feelings on this as they are roughly the same.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:56 pm

View Original PostRosenakahara wrote:^ Hey if it means anything every souls game got an M for violence and blood even though they have no nudity (DS1 doesn't count unless you get THAT mod) so whoever rates those games actually knows what they are doing.

What about the Artorias DLC? One of the enemy models has exposed male genitalia.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

Return to “Video Games and Gaming”