Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Squigsquasher
Banned

In which Anime News Network has a strop over Mad Bull 34

•      
  •      

Postby Squigsquasher » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:21 pm

So I was browsing the old "Buried Garbage" archive on ANN and found this incredibly humourless review of the legendary so-dreadful-it's-hilarious OVA kekfest Mad Bull 34.

OK then.

So first of all, according to this reviewer, Kazuko Koike has a "digusting mind". Bear in mind this is the same Kazuko Koike who wrote the all-time classic Lone Wolf and Cub, taught Rumiko Takahashi to make manga and is one of the greatest mangakas ever to put pen to paper. I don't know if the original manga is as bad as the anime, but saying he has a "disgusting mind" because of one shitty but hugely entertaining OVA is...daft, really.

Aside from that little rant, it strikes me just how...seriously this person is taking it. I mean, late 80s/early 90s OVAs with an overdose of sex and violence and a really shitty plot (and also hlariously bad dubs) are nothing new. They're terrible, but they can be laughed at (and MB34 is absolutely side-splitting). This reviewer acts like they were personally insulted by it or something. I've rarely seen such butthurt over an anime before- especially one that's only known for being so-bad-it's-good and having the BEST DUB EVERtm.

Also of note is that even though this was reviewed in 2008 it uses very similar language to the now frighteningly over-exposed "MUHSOJJINY" SJW Tumblrite dictat (overusing the word "misogynist", declaring that someone is a horrible person because of a work of fiction they once made, inability to laugh at anything etc). I mean, I'm not going to defend Mad Bull 34 as a work of art by any stretch of the imagination (as gut-bustingly funny as it is) but...I dunno, this review seems almost too harsh, somehow. I'm of the opinion that anyone who does reviews of, well, anything should have a sense of humour and the ability to laugh at shit rather than getting offended (unless it's something absolutely, objectively, irredeemably awful like Shitai no Arau/Body Wash, which goes beyond being "offensive" and tips the scale into fucking disturbing).

I dunno. This review just annoyed me. Mainly because of the attack of Kazuko Koike I will admit.
Here lies Squigsquasher.
2013-2017.

Rosenakahara
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Rosenakahara » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:15 pm

Eh its the internet, idiots will be idiots and reviewers will complain.
"She had better march back here and try again! I only send people off on my terms! ...Or in a casket."
I don't need a scabbard to sheathe my mind
What is going on is a concerted effort from anti-progressives to silence anyone who disagrees with them.-Bagheera 2016
The Twelve Kingdoms discussion thread

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:17 pm

my experienced with ANN reviews are that they tend to be polarizing, either agree or disagree with very little middle ground
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Re: In which Anime News Network has a strop over Mad Bull 34

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:47 pm

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote: Shitai no Arau/Body Wash, which goes beyond being "offensive" and tips the scale into fucking disturbing).

Ah, yes, that anime. Watching it was an... interesting experience, to say the least.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:23 pm

It probably did offend him personally. Over-the-top exploitation films tend to be divisive by their very nature.

Return to “Anime and Manga”