Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

GAP
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby GAP » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:08 am

BoBobo is funny but it is also very confusing and it leaves me baffled everything I see it. See also: FLCL
Fall into GAP! Guernsey Adams Pierre

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:44 pm

I've probably said this before, but The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya is like if South Park pretended that Eric Cartman were anything more redeemable than a manipulative, petulant brat and then made him into the kid from that one Twilight Zone episode with the power to banish people to the cornfields.

If I lived in that world and found out that such a girl were God, I would probably jump in front of a bullet train, screaming "YOU'LL NEVER GET ME IN HELL, BITCH SEED"

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:24 pm

View Original Postchee wrote:"YOU'LL NEVER GET ME IN HELL, BITCH SEED"

Although I like the anime, especialy the movie, I have to admit that I never liked Haruhi-chaaaan at all. In fact, that seems to be the reason for many people not liking the anime.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:02 pm

Naw I like Haruhi, she kinda reminds me of how I was when I was younger but more extroverted.

BoBobo is funny but it is also very confusing and it leaves me baffled everything I see it. See also: FLCL

I don't really understand why some people think being confusing is a negative, I like confusing shows. The only exceptions are when shows just pretend to be confusing to cover up the fact that they don't know what to do with the story like the gantz ending.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:33 pm

Meh. Kyon should have stayed in Yuki world.

Come on though Chee, Haruhi nowhere near as bad as Cartman. I mean unless there's some episode where she insights a race war, makes the homeless fight each other for her profit, and gets a kid to eat his parents then be mocked by his heroes immediately afterwards that I missed.... maybe part of endless 8?
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Tankred
Anime Ja Nai
Anime Ja Nai

•      
  •      

Postby Tankred » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:53 pm

View Original PostNemZ wrote: I mean unless there's some episode where she insights a race war, makes the homeless fight each other for her profit, and gets a kid to eat his parents then be mocked by his heroes immediately afterwards that I missed.... maybe part of endless 8?

I would pay to see Haruhi do this.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:26 pm

Bah. Haruhi gets a bad rap. I like me my tigers (by which I mean "people who aren't nice or sweet but who are nonetheless awesome, and worthy of admiration based on that alone").
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:34 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mQScjlXbBE

This is 100% on point. Especially the waifu joke.
Last edited by Gendo'sPapa on Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:10 pm

SPOILER: Show
point taken

A.T. Fish
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby A.T. Fish » Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:43 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mQScjlXbBE

This is 100% on point.

Agreed.

Especially the waifu joke.

Careful now.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:21 pm

:D I couldn't resist. But all in good fun.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:32 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mQScjlXbBE

:shinchair:

This triggers me. You shouldn't post videos like this on a #waifu safe zone board.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:39 pm

That was indeed pretty awesome. The fact that casual viewers are expies of Shinji and Misato is just icing on the cake.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Defectron
Tentacle Girl
Tentacle Girl

•      
  •      

Postby Defectron » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:51 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:That was indeed pretty awesome. The fact that casual viewers are expies of Shinji and Misato is just icing on the cake.

Actually that was Naota and Ninamori from flcl.
Parasite Galaxy: An experimental webcomic

http://www.parasitegalaxy.com/ Updates Monday and Thursday. Vote for me on top webcomics

If you want to support this comic buy something from me on amazon

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:55 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote: :D I couldn't resist. But all in good fun.

I'd avoid trying to kick the hornet's nest if I were you. Subtle provocation is still provocation.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:58 pm

View Original PostDefectron wrote:Actually that was Naota and Ninamori from flcl.

Eh, same difference. But fair point.

Dream
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Dream » Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:59 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Bah. Haruhi gets a bad rap. I like me my tigers (by which I mean "people who aren't nice or sweet but who are nonetheless awesome, and worthy of admiration based on that alone").

Well, it has been quite a while since i first saw Haruhi, but in the first few episodes Haruhi simply waltz in and robs the PC club from a computer they had saved up a lot for (by falsely incriminating the president with some serious shit) and stripping Mikuru like it was nothing as the first of the many, many indignities she'll go throught at Haruhi's hands. And that's leaving aside the way she talks to... well, everyone. Some of that stuff isn't just assertive or aggresive, they're downright predatory.

I agree that the bad rap is unjustified as she's revealed to be more complex than just taking whatever she wants and everyone loves an aggresive woman, but i can see why some people have such a bad impression of her.

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:All in good fun.

Hmm, no, it is blatantly obvious you think this and that you think of those people as trash. Which honestly you likely think is justified and ethic given how happy you are to shit on "nerds". To me personally, it comes off about as fun as surrendering France jokes. And Japanese humor is great, SZS and Blue Blazes were easily the most hilarious things i watched

Video's enjoyment is a bit tainted for me given the arrogance and dismissiveness common to internet american humor and the overt low brow (and not sweet, Imaishi-esque low brow either), although it's possible that this perceived bad will comes from someone posting this with the implication it's ok to act/speak like this. Then again, blatant disrespect and self-righteousness are the staple of the internet, as long as it's all "in good fun"

SPOILER: Show
A small aside... This doesn't account for the oppai desu bullshit, but there actually is a case to be made for Japan being a more libidinous or at least more open society in regards to nudity and sex. Unfortunately i don't have any sources on hand, but i think even as far back as the Meiji period onsens didn't have gender divisions, and in one of Miyazaki's articles he says how back then (i think when he was a baby or way before his time) back then it was more common for people to be just naked sometimes and they didn't really feel that embarassed or sexualized by it. On the matter of sexuality i think that has also been with them since a very long time (the fisherman's wife!) and they treated it as either just part of their culture and stress-release valve, this without account for all the post-war changes. There was a lot of complaining in ANN and other forums about Hestia's string, how it shows the character designer has never met a woman, etc. In Japan it was received with little more than indifference or mild curiosity. This isn't just or mainly (probably) due to Sinosphere patriarcal Confucian tradition, Japan just approaches the topic differently than we do. Just to clarify i don't mean that the reaction of discomfort regarding nudity/sex etc. is necessarily invalid or a failure on the part of the audience, that's just how we see things. But i do think it's important to account for and keep in mind the cultural differences that might arise from appreciating fictions of, well, different cultures.

Also, and this is more in general in regards to the seriously weird stuff, i always liked this story of the Japanese police preferring to keep shady nightclubs or prostitution joints open than close them down and have the crooks go entirely under the radar, as i feel it was illustrative of what i understand Japan's approach to taboo/questionable entertainment is. They hate it or prefer not to talk about it but overall consider it better to let deranged apples have their fix than cut it out and have them go off the deep end.

Don't mean to harp this lack of research -for lack of a better word- on CollegeHumor because they're "Just a comedy site, man! Don't take everything so seriously!!", their objective was never nuance or understanding. But since this popped up on the controversial opinions thread... now that i think about it, i'm not sure if it's accepted or encouraged to be a sort of place to say "x is shit and if you like x, you're shit, SHIIIIT" as if lack of respect is necessary for expressing unpopular opinions.

Funny ribbing though, specially the Disney dub part :lol:.

Careful now.

Eh, if anything being close minded jerk is encouraged here so i wouldn't worry too much if i was him.
"Every line is a joy" -Kaworu Nagisa.

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm." - Ralph Waldo Emerson.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:02 pm

View Original PostDream wrote:Hmm, no, it is blatantly obvious you think this and that you think of those people as trash.

You're overreacting.

Eh, if anything being close minded jerk is encouraged here so i wouldn't worry too much if i was him.

You're seriously overreacting. And you're doing it a lot, lately. If the forums disgust you so much no one's making you hang around. If you wanna go, go. If you wanna stay, stay. But either way work out your issues and quit bitching about them in every other post.

Trajan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Trajan » Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:07 pm

Alright guys, calm down.

I think Gendo's Papa shouldn't have been so flippant with his comment, but we don't need to start an incident over this. The whole point is to leave the past in the past. So let's talk about something else controversial.
Movin' Right Along
"Everything has its beauty but not everyone sees it." - Confucius
"All styles are good except the tiresome kind." - Voltaire

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:36 pm

View Original PostBagheera wrote:Eh, same difference.

They're carbon copies of Naota and Ninamori, so... not really. :p

Great parody vid. This thread clearly needs some Joker image macro right about now.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Return to “Anime and Manga”