Shiro Sagisu Evangelion jazz arrangments

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Shiro Sagisu Evangelion jazz arrangments

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:04 pm

http://neweva.blog103.fc2.com/blog-entry-3353.html
http://neweva.blog103.fc2.com/blog-entry-3360.html

Also: http://www.evageeks.org/2014/10/shiro-sagisus-new-evangelion-jazz-album/

Tracklist:

01: Weekend, the introduction (by all star singers)
02: Welcome to the Tokyo III jazz club (by all star orchestra)
03: Swingin’ A1 (by all star bigband)
04: Come sweet death, second impact (by Megumi-H)
05: Barefoot in the club (by all star bigband)
06: Final decision at the milestone (by all star combo)
07: Emptiness, the longest (by all star orchestra)
08: Thanatos, cool again! (by all star bigband)
09: Dilemmatic triangle opera (by Megumi-H)
10: A8, mellow slow-jam (by all star combo)
11: Theme Q, suppa-duppa! (by all star bigband)
12: The Image of black me (by Megumi-H)

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:18 pm

12: The Image of black me (by Megumi-H)

ReiQ confirmed for brawl
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

TomasJC
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby TomasJC » Thu Oct 23, 2014 7:19 pm

Well it's about time! I wanna hear me some Eva-Jazz! (I guess the Thanatos from EoE was Jazz anyway, but this might be different.)
"That's no way to treat an expensive musical instrument!" -Jim Steinman
"When I was growing up, there were two things that were unpopular in my house. One was me, and the other was my guitar." -Bruce Springsteen
"Alcohol is humanity's friend... Can I abandon a friend?" -Yang Wen-li
"...See you on the Dark Side Of The Moon~"

Mbryo
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Mbryo » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:12 am

Maybe it'll be similar to Eva Vox?

Well they are all songs I never heard of. If Hayashibara Megumi's singing them, she better sing them in her usual voice, not the Rei voice.
FUS roh Duh.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:30 am

View Original PostMbryo wrote:Maybe it'll be similar to Eva Vox?

Well they are all songs I never heard of. If Hayashibara Megumi's singing them, she better sing them in her usual voice, not the Rei voice.

Most of these track titles are references to other tracks from the various OSTs in the series, presumably they're performing those songs in a jazz influenced style. I'm only stumped by the titles for tracks 1, 9, and 12.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

FrDougal9000
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FrDougal9000 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:17 pm

As a fan of both jazz and especially Shiro Sagisu's music, this is fantastic! Only downside is waiting the next two months for the album to come out. ECH. In the meantime, I'm gonna do me some investigation on the names for the songs and see what they hint towards in the full album. (This can be put up on the first post for the sake of convenience if I've done a good enough job)

BIG PILE OF TEXT SO SPOILERED

SPOILER: Show

1. Weekend, the introduction - Likely an original piece given the lack of references to any of the songs composed for either incarnation of Eva; might include a reference to Jikai Yokoku/Peaceful Times since Sagisu's utterly obsessed with that song.

2. Welcome to the Tokyo III Jazz Club - Pretty self-explanatory there. Jazz cover of Tokyo III, which was previously been rearranged for the Eva Symphony albums (Original from 1997 and Wind Symphony from 2008). Love to see a new take on the song, since I've become rather fond of it lately.

3. Swingin' A1 - Going from the S2 Works designation, this seems to be a jazz arrangement for Rei I, which was covered in both Symphony albums and appeared twice in last year's PianoForté album (as the original and a jazzy piano piece).

4. Come Sweet Death, Second Impact - Komm Susser Tod seems to be getting itself a jazzy remix after PianoForté's piano, organ and vocal version, though I can't help but wonder if the Second Impact add-on implies a new addition for this cover...

5. Barefoot in the Club - Seems to be rearranging Barefoot in the Park from the original soundtrack, which is interesting given how jazzy that was.

6. Final Decision at the Milestone - Of all the Rebuild songs to jazz up (literally), I'm surprised to see The Final Decision We All Must Take getting the treatment.

7. Emptiness, the Longest - Never expected an End of Eva-only track to be redone, but that's a pleasant surprise for ya! Flow of Emptiness (from where Asuka gets slaughtered by the MP-Evas) is the first song made for that movie to be remixed by Sagisu himself. (As in exclusively composed without rearranging songs from the show)

8. Thanatos, Cool Again - Why am I not surprised to see Thanatos getting involved yet again? After appearing in the Eva Symphony albums, PianoForté and even as a four-track masterpiece in Shiro's Songbook, it'll be interesting to see if it's the original song or EoE's If I Can't Be Yours that gets remixed.

9. Dilemmatic Triangle Opera - Engrishy title aside, I can only assume this is a jazz cover of Hedgehog's Dilemma with vocals provided by Megumi Hayashibara (at least I think it's her). I wonder if the lyrics will be in English or Japanese?

10. A8, Mellow Slow-Jam - Odd to see one of the unused tracks from S2 Works being redone. A8 was the track used for Sachiel's introduction before it was scrapped, though it did feature in the hilarious radio drama After the End when the Black Space God appeared to the world.

11. Theme Q, Suppa-Duppa! - Makes sense that Kaworu's liet-motif from Eva Q would feature one last time, though I wonder if this will be a brand new arrangement or just the brief piece used in Super Sax plays Eva from Wind Symphony (right between the Misato and Jikai Yokoku pieces in that medley, Theme Q made its introduction to the known world, for the curious!)

12. The Image of Black Me - Another rearrangement of Rei I, as the song was rearranged under the name The Image of Me (Vocalise) for Evangelion Vox. Curiously, this version might pertain to Rei Q in Rebuild since 'black' could refer to her pitch black plugsuit...

Anyhow, that's my Sagisu Jazz album speculation done. Now to wait for the album to come out so I can enjoy it and confirm my suspicions...At least it'll be a nice Christmas present to end the year on. Have a great day, everyone! :D
Pen-Pen died for your sins!

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:33 pm

I already have a record of jazz covers of Eva tracks.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Chroma
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Chroma » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:57 pm

Very interested in this. Jazz and Evangelion are two things I enjoy immensely.
"What we needed were not words and promises, but the steady accumulation of small realities."
South of the Border, West of the Sun - Haruki Murakami

Fics: Ao3 https://archiveofourown.org/users/Sensha_do

FrDougal9000
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby FrDougal9000 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 7:25 am

Topic bump!

The album's out now, with this as its cover art if anyone wants to change the original post: http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/pictures/l/01/02/KICA-3219.jpg (Done by Moyoco Anno if anyone's curious as to why she's mentioned on the cover)

So far, only three tracks have been posted onto YT:

-Swinging A1 (Rei I - Hilariously jazzy edition)

-Emptiness, the Longest (Flow of Emptiness - Jazz-Orchestral)

-Theme Q, Suppa-Duppa! (Theme Q from 3.0 - New jazz cover, as opposed to reusing the Super Sax version)

It sounds fantastic so far and I'll have to try get a copy of it over the holidays. Heck, I might even put up a review on this website for y'all to check out.
Pen-Pen died for your sins!

gwern
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby gwern » Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:17 pm

The album is indeed available if you know where to look. I've given it a listen; for the most part, I'm not too impressed (Sagisu's past work, and the 2.0 and 3.0 OSTs in particular, are much better) and it can be hard to hear any connection at all.

That said, track 3 "COME SWEET DEATH,SECOND IMPACT" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLifQYjYUH0) has been growing on me (give it at least 2 minutes to go somewhere), and I liked track 10, "THEME Q,SUPPA-DUPPA!" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3q4oUleJhgA).

But LMAO at the narrator. What the heck.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:14 pm

Just checked out a couple of the tracks. Good stuff! I've been looking for more jazz influences for my own work, and coupled with my love for Eva this is amazing. Thanks for sharing!
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

C.A.P.
Wabbit Duelist
Wabbit Duelist

•      
  •      

Postby C.A.P. » Sat Jan 10, 2015 4:42 pm

Can the 4th Rebuild movie just be this?
"Free-associative internet ravings know no proprietors."-Azathoth
"Cinema's value is that it is inhuman."-chee
"I only meant to stay a while."-ELO

Caliburn
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Caliburn » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:21 am

Aww yeah, more Evangelion jazz, this time from Shiro Sagisu himself! Nice!

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”