Pilot's eyes when sync is high/plug depth is neg or unkown

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Tlalac
Embryo

Pilot's eyes when sync is high/plug depth is neg or unkown

•      
  •      

Postby Tlalac » Fri Oct 03, 2014 4:35 am

Hi everyone ! (first post, but I won't introduce myself here, because it's not the right place for it)

I know there is a post about Asuka's left eye. But I think there is a bigger picture about the change in the color of the eyes in the case of 3 pilots. It came to me when I also read some threads talking about Shinji's red eyes in 2.22 and the speculation of him being close to be an Angel being and less human, because the only other characters to have red eyes are Rei and Kaworu.

In fact, I think the simplest explanations are often the right ones, certainly even more when you can provide evidence that correlate them : pilots simply take their Eva's color of eyes when in a high sync rate !
CASE 1 : in 2.0, Mari uses secret code "The Beast" piloting EVA-02 (plug cannot be monitored, but Dr Akagi assume that this mode allows the plug to go in a negative depth and enter the contamination level...)
CASE 2 : later in 2.0, Shinji awakens Eva-01 (it eventually leads to merging with the EVA-01 and Rei)
CASE 3 : in 3.0, Asuka uses code '777' piloting EVA-02 vs Mark.09 (we do not have intel about plug depth but the Eva restraints are raised as in CASE 1)

so in both CASE 1 and 3, Mari and Asuka are piloting the EVA-02, and their eyes glow green, which seems to be the color of the EVA-02's eyes :
SPOILER: Show

CASE 1 & 3
Notice that Asuka's right eye is green :)
And for all the speculations about her left eye, my simple opinion, reading the threads about it and based on the following images is that the eyepatch is indeed a Angel Sealing Hex Glyph device as you can notice the resemblance between the shape (looks like a cross to me) and the color (blue) of Bardiel seen in 2.0 from the plug and the shape and color that appear on the eyepatch and the entry plug in 3.0 !
Imagein 2.0 : Bardiel contamination
Image in 3.0 Asuka fights Mark.09

CASE 2 : Shinji and EVA-01 : it speaks for itself : EVA-01 have red eyes and so Shinji does when he goes in a negative plug depth...

I rest my case.

PS : sorry if my English is a bit incorrect, I'm not used to English forums already... ( but what a better way to improve my skills in English :) )
God's in His Heaven, Anno's in His thoughts, Everyone's trolled

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:26 am

Interesting theory, which has also the added benefit of simplicity!

Just for information, Asuka's eyepatch being an Angel Sealing Hex Glyph device is confirmed, if you zoom in the first time its glowing (when Shinji escapes with Mark.09), you can see them clearly:
[wkimg]File:Eva3-33 C0397 eye.jpg[/wkimg]
[wkimg]File:Eva3-33 C0397 eye crop.jpg[/wkimg]
[wkimg]File:Eva3-33 C0397 eye crop grey.jpg[/wkimg]

The power of BD resolution! :tongue:
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Oct 03, 2014 6:30 am

I'm still not certain of linking the blue glow with Bardiel, though; it could also be a green glow modified by passing through a nearly opaque eye-patch.

Not that I'm discounting the Bardiel possibility - but I'm unclear just what kind of angelic contamination could be tolerated for fourteen years. At worst it can only be fragmentary; having Asuka walking around containing a full-blown angel would surely not be prudent!

Doubtless the hoped-for CRC will resolve this...
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Tlalac
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Tlalac » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:50 am

Yes, I had the same idea about the eyepatch altering the color we see, blue instead of green.

But I truly believe Asuka still has a part of Bardiel inside of her, a really small one or just a residue :
1) she makes a crack in a bulletproof glass (it seems pretty thick) when punching it (aiming Shinji), can any normal human do that ?
2) she calls the humans : 'Lilins' at the end of 3.0 (something like "Let's go where the Lilins are"), she believes she is a freak and not completely human anymore
3) why does she wears an Angel Sealing Hex Glyph device if there is no trace of Angelic power inside her ?
God's in His Heaven, Anno's in His thoughts, Everyone's trolled

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:57 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:I'm still not certain of linking the blue glow with Bardiel, though; it could also be a green glow modified by passing through a nearly opaque eye-patch.

Not that I'm discounting the Bardiel possibility - but I'm unclear just what kind of angelic contamination could be tolerated for fourteen years. At worst it can only be fragmentary; having Asuka walking around containing a full-blown angel would surely not be prudent!

Doubtless the hoped-for CRC will resolve this...

It's very doubtful it contains Bardiel as a whole, as you said there's no way anyone would let Asuka even live if that was the case, it's more likely a fragment or residue of that Angel.

Also, the blue color not only appears when she's in Beast Mode, but also earlier when seeing Mark.09 escaping with Shinji, and while the left eye was glowing blue, her left eye didn't glowed at all, green or otherwise.
Finally, there's those strange blue crosses appearing in Asuka's entry plug when she activate Beast Mode very similar to Bardiel's "cross" when it absorbed Asuka in 2.0:
[wkimg]File:Eva3-33 C1396 fangs.jpg[/wkimg]
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

unitM
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby unitM » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:29 pm

It's definitely contamination. It removed Asuka's feeling of happiness. Notice how she punches a crack in the glass wall between her and Shinji at the beginning of Q? I also believe that it might have come with an additional power: it allows Asuka powerful strength when she feels anger towards something. It's hard to tell whether the angel attack was planned or not, but, at the very least, the attack on Asuka was unplanned by Gendou.

My evidence for my claims is the storyboard: though we never clearly see what happened to Asuka back in the pilot's seat, we can certainly read it through almost all of the storyboard interpretations(which go beyond Asuka simply getting flown into a Rei-ngel): Asuka is simply asked to question happiness by an Angel before immediately turning it around and soaking through her skin and face. It especially is empowered over her eyepatch eye. Again, we don't see what happens to Asuka in the cockpit, but we can certainly get a terrible idea of what did with these images.

My second evidence is something which goes hand-in-hand with the above, while also working standalone: Asuka was experiencing a happy state moments before she entered the Eva's test bed. This was an intimate moment and her doll was clearly pictured alongside her as she called Misato to express a loss of ego in replacement of satisfaction. Suddenly, a terrible monster traps her in a tube, with something like a Dummy-Plugged 01 to save you. Even from a classical conditioning point of view, it is very formulaic: Asuka is happy, though anxious, with the test, she smiles, and a creature from beyond outstretches it's hand to capture her. That would make anyone scared of happy moments, given her position. But this creature also leaves the possibility of an infection?

Connecting my second piece of my evidence to my first, the Angel then converses with Asuka(in the storyboards), asks her if she's happy, and then attacks her. In one of the strips, the Angel fires a lot of rays in her eyepatch eye. The first also lines up with the second in an orderly fashion too: Asuka, going into that storyboard animation, would be feeling happy just before her hostile takeover.

It is my belief that this infection was left in her eye. It was covered up with an eyepatch and, unsurprisingly, angel-sealing hex runes. This sealed the angel in her eye but did not cleanse it from Asuka. Unsurprisingly, Asuka's happiness is entirely absent from Q. She also shows superhuman aggression towards Shinji. If you remember, the Angel attacked Asuka's happiness element. I believe it also may have endowed some other special qualities.

Edit sometimes I feel I walk into threads with my wall of texts and kill the conversation :devil: :uhh: :rei_dance:

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”