Your relationships changing your experience of Evangelion?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

chaosakita
Leliel
Leliel

Your relationships changing your experience of Evangelion?

•      
  •      

Postby chaosakita » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:38 pm

This summer I went through a rough break up. It made me really understand the anger felt towards Shinji during the instrumentality scene in EoE a lot more. I think the interesting thing about Evangelion is that while I do think it's fundamentally a kid's show, your perception of it ages with you as you grow older.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?
Avatar: Shinji and Kaworu get ice cream

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:02 pm

My past relationship made me realize some things about running away, but not much anger. Simply put, to answer your question, yeah, my relationship made me think about Eva differently.

ThanatosII
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby ThanatosII » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:45 pm

More like, Evangelion made me think/approach relationships/interaction in a different manner. Everything feels more meta to me.
Not only that, but before, if I was asked, "What's wrong?" I would reply with, "I dunno" or "I guess." Now I understand myself better and am able to articulate whatever issue I face.

Essentially, Eva gave me a visual and audible way to see my lost and confused self on-screen.
"Understanding each other one hundred percent is impossible.
Of course, that's why we spend so much time trying to understand ourselves and others.
That's what makes life so interesting."
-Kaji Ryoji
"I got confused and I killed my sister... egh I can't help the way that I feel...." - Sorrow
Once you're regularly active on EGF, you get an idea of who is using the "Hidden" feature. Irony, eh?

Ultrahuntr
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Ultrahuntr » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:01 pm

After my last relationship ended (over a year of being together) I watched 1.11 and felt oddly akin to Gendo. Like, at the end of the relationship, it was down to us being together because we had to be. It was just something you did. I didn't like that feeling. I had no remorse or sadness about the lost relationship, but it made me realize how much we just started to use each other the last few months we were together. Kinda startling.

Merkaba
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Merkaba » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:17 pm

Like ThanatosII, I definitely find myself on a more meta level when viewing myself and my relationships. For instance, I see how I run away from anything unpleasent MUCH more clearly, including how, after just one month at a new job, my boss yelled at me and instead of trying to get better (which was what he was trying to coerce me into doing), I just quit.
As I was doing it, Misato's EoE speech was playing in my head, about choices and and such, but I still ultimately ran away.
It hasn't really changed my relationships - it just has made more more aware of what is actually happening in them and why they are the way they are.

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:39 am

View Original PostThanatosII wrote:More like, Evangelion made me think/approach relationships/interaction in a different manner. Everything feels more meta to me.

Pretty mush sums how I feel as well.

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:46 am

View Original PostMerkaba wrote:Like ThanatosII, I definitely find myself on a more meta level when viewing myself and my relationships. For instance, I see how I run away from anything unpleasent MUCH more clearly, including how, after just one month at a new job, my boss yelled at me and instead of trying to get better (which was what he was trying to coerce me into doing), I just quit.
As I was doing it, Misato's EoE speech was playing in my head, about choices and and such, but I still ultimately ran away.

Yelling? Actual yelling? There's something to be said for knowing when not to take someone's abuse.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”