Who will die in Final.

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:53 pm

I haven't watched Q in a little over a year, so I probably forgot.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

ElMariachi
Le Posteur Verbeux
Le Posteur Verbeux

•      
  •      

Postby ElMariachi » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:41 am

Now if Kaworu's soul is indeed inside EVA-13, the big question is how it will potentially affect Gendo's plans, because I really doubt that Gendo would had overlooked something like that. ("The First Angel dying while being inside his old body? There's no way in hell he'll relocate inside it!")
Avatar: THE HIGHEST OF ALL HIGHS WE AAAAAAAAAARE!!!
Kensuke is a military otaku who, at one point, is shown creepily taking pictures of girls to sell. He would clearly fit right in as an animator at Studio Gainax. -- Compiling_Autumn
EoTV is a therapist, EoE is a drill instructor. -- Chuckman
Seriously, that is the most fananked theory I've ever heard, more than Mari being Marty McFly travelling through time to keep her parents (Asushin) together. -- Jäeger

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:03 pm

Well, it leaves Kaworu alive and (possibly) able to influence others. That alone could be enough to throw a wrench at Gendo, particularly if he doesn't know this and still thinks that everything is going according to his plans.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:21 pm

Huuuuuuh. So Rei's soul is in Unit 01, Kaworu's soul is in Eva 13, Lilith was the first Angel (Kaworu was, but since he was cast down to the 13th that puts Lilith on top) and Kaworu was cast down to the 13th . . . maybe there's something to that.
For my post-3I fic, go here.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion
Yes, I know. You thought it would be something about Asuka. You're such idiots.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:23 pm

Shinji gets to choose which one plays the endgame! Poor Shinji, what a decision to have to make!
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:43 pm

^

Okay, it's getting almost akin to a "running gag" where Shinji has to always make decisions that will have vast consequences so far. Can't the guy take two steps in one direction without shit blowing up in his face for two seconds? :lol:
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:48 pm

Unless it's a fanfic, then no.
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

KingXanaduu
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby KingXanaduu » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:49 pm

^
Do you have to constantly prey my comments with your pessimism? Cause you ain't gonna break me. :tongue:
"You're na�ve, Cecil. Even knowing betrayal and despair, you would depend on the whims of others?" - Golbez
---------------------------------------
Sephiroth: "Do you miss the Light?"
Golbez: "Hmph...I merely have duties to fulfill."
Sephiroth: "Too close to the brightness, and you may get scorched."
Golbz:.............
Golbez: Your loss can strengthen you.

"NGE Shinji is broken, Manga Shinji is an asshole, Rebuild Shinji is an idiot. Which is best? Uh, can I get some other options? All of these really suck." -Bagheera

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:05 pm

View Original PostStillborn wrote:Unless it's a fanfic, then no.

Or the TV show, or the manga, or any of the AUs, or Final. You know, just the bulk of the franchise.
The law doesn't protect people. People protect the law. -- Akane Tsunemori, Psycho-Pass
People's deaths are to be mourned. The ability to save people should be celebrated. Life itself should be exalted. -- Volken Macmani, Tatakau Shisho: The Book of Bantorra
I hate myself. But maybe I can learn to love myself. Maybe it's okay for me to be here! That's right! I'm me, nothing more, nothing less! I'm me. I want to be me! I want to be here! And it's okay for me to be here! -- Shinji Ikari, Neon Genesis Evangelion

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:26 pm

All of those, burden his choices all the same.
Another jaded man.
Wciąż stoję nieruchomo, w nieżywym już szeregu. Umieram na stojąco, niech inni giną w biegu.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:29 pm

The scale on which Shinji fails occasionally requires many, many more steps that just two. And usually it was something beyond anyone’s control or understanding that kicked him off his feet to begin with. Eva Q was the only time in the series where everyone was all “Shinji, don’t fucking do it!” and it blew up in his face. Every other time in NTE it was all encouraged or part of the job before it blew up in his face, and the last time he was effectively subordinate in mid-battle (such as the case with 5th Angel in Jo) it actually succeeded. Gendo doing what he did in Ha was just him being an asshole. With that whole history of people telling Shinji how to do things, what’s to tell Shinji that these people telling him “No,” actually had anything worth listening to this time around?

This isn’t to say that Shinji shouldn’t be blamed for anything wrong that he did, but at the same time I can totally see how he’s rationalizing and justifying his own actions throughout the series. It all kinda makes sense from his perspective.

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:31 pm

View Original PostStillborn wrote:All of those, burden his choices all the same.

No, they really don't.

Dataprime
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Dataprime » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:20 pm

So it's out of the question of Shinji dying in the end?

I genuinely love how good Evangelion hurts
- Suicidahlia

She's so cute. Like crazy cute. Like "She's giving me the diabetus" cute. - Gendo'sPapa

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:25 pm

View Original PostDataprime wrote:So it's out of the question of Shinji dying in the end?

Given Anno's track record and the fact he's not depressed out of his mind the way he was when making EoE? Yeah, pretty much.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:41 pm

Even when Anno did lean towards depression in his narratives, he always left his main characters alive, forcing them to face the decisions they’ve made. Death is just too easy of an escape in some stories.

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:51 pm

And THIS is the reason why Shinji will live. Not the plot armor. It's that life is the worse fate for him so of course he will live.
Another jaded man.

SEELE
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:52 pm

View Original PostStillborn wrote:And THIS is the reason why Shinji will live. Not the plot armor. It's that life is the worse fate for him so of course he will live.

I hate you!
"Shinji repeatedly rises to the occasion, overcomes his own doubts and fears and puts others ahead of himself to the point of self harm. The situation overwhelms him. Victory does not define a hero. Intent does. He breaks at the end, but after inhuman, overwhelming, borderline comedic suffering." - Chuckman talking about Shinji as a hero
Final Fantasy 7 gets a remake. I hope it doesn't goes the same way NTE did.
Plus I kinda want to be done with this franchise for a while and concentrate on other things in life. - Guy Nacks

Bagheera
Asuka's Bulldog
Asuka's Bulldog

•      
  •      

Postby Bagheera » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:59 pm

View Original PostStillborn wrote:And THIS is the reason why Shinji will live. Not the plot armor. It's that life is the worse fate for him so of course he will live.

That has proven not to be the case in every single iteration of the franchise, so no.

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:01 pm

View Original PostDataprime wrote:So it's out of the question of Shinji dying in the end?

Eva doesn't feel like the kind of show that would kill off the main protag, and particularly so because the character is Shinji. The whole point is to have him live and learn how to be happy.

Stillborn
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Stillborn » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:07 pm

^^

About this, we just have differen't outlook. You see his life as happy or sufficent. I see it as disgraceful and empty, with forced smile. It's just how we interpret "living what's forced on you".
Another jaded man.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”